ADVERTISEMENT

They waited “two weeks”.............

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
South Dakota is nation's top hot spot for COVID-19; 2,143 test positive in last week
  • Morgan Matzen
  • Rapid City Journal
  • Sep 3, 2020 Updated Sep 3, 2020
South Dakota surpassed 3,000 active COVID-19 cases Thursday while becoming the state with the highest per capita surge in the nation, according to nationwide tracking by the New York Times. Iowa and North Dakota follow the state in hot spot rankings.

In the past seven days, 2,143 South Dakotans have tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Department of Health.

State epidemiologist Joshua Clayton said he has expected the state’s active cases to have peaks and valleys since June, but he “certainly was not wanting to see this high level of cases.”

“This is definitely within the possibility of what I was thinking when we were talking about seeing increasing cases,” he said. “This is reminiscent of what we will see if we have individuals who are not taking proper precautions.”

State health secretary Kim Malsam-Rysdon said people should still follow the department’s guidance to stay away from other people, social distance, wear a mask and wash their hands often and for 20 seconds or more.

Clayton said statewide COVID-19 hospitalizations and the coronavirus death toll may increase in two weeks as a result of the surge in cases.

334 new cases were reported statewide Thursday, pushing the state to 3,013 active infections, a record number since the pandemic hit the state in mid-March.

Another 14,337 South Dakotans have had a positive case, with 11,155 having recovered from coronavirus. 169 state residents have died of COVID-19.

Thursday’s report came from 2,449 tests, a positive test rate of 13.6%. The state has done 198,749 tests on 150,537 residents.

Pennington County reported 61 new cases Thursday, marking a record 448 active cases.

76 people were hospitalized with COVID-19 across the state Thursday, with 35 in Monument Health’s system. 1,052 South Dakotans have been hospitalized with coronavirus at some point in the pandemic.

Contact tracing
118 South Dakotans have COVID-19 as a result of attending the Sturgis motorcycle rally, the DOH reported Thursday.

Clayton said the state is basing its rally tally on South Dakota residents who in 14 days prior to their illness onset visited Sturgis or attended an event that would be considered part of the motorcycle rally prior to their illness.

https://rapidcityjournal.com/users/profile/Morgan Matzen

South Dakota has had a grand total of 173 COVID deaths since the beginning of this pandemic. That’s about one (1) per day. Their 7-day moving average of daily deaths is currently one (1). Their 7-day moving average of daily deaths has never at any time exceeded two (2).

And yet the left has continuously ragged on Kristi about South Dakota’s COVID response.

If the rest of the country was faring as well as South Dakota has, I’d be watching Iowa football right now.

South Dakota has had a grand total of 173 COVID deaths since the beginning of this pandemic. That’s about one (1) per day. Their 7-day moving average of daily deaths is currently one (1). Their 7-day moving average of daily deaths has never at any time exceeded two (2).

And yet the left has continuously ragged on Kristi about South Dakota’s COVID response.

If the rest of the country was faring as well as South Dakota has, I’d be watching Iowa football right now.
You mean if the rest of the country was experiencing a per capita case rate equal to the highest in the nation? Faring that well?

Yeah...that'd be nearly 100,000 new cases in the last week.

In California.

You're a genius, you are.

We are not — and will not be — the subjects of an elite class of so-called experts. We the people are the government.”

Governor Kristi Noem, RNC Convention, 8/26/20

Ignoring experts to “own the libs”. That’s working out quite well, Kristi.

You mean if the rest of the country was experiencing a per capita case rate equal to the highest in the nation? Faring that well?

Yeah...that'd be nearly 100,000 new cases in the last week.

In California.

You're a genius, you are.
We would have a total of 5.576 million cases and 64,798 deaths since the beginning of the pandemic instead of 6.404 million cases and 192,358 deaths. We would have 1.145 million current active infections instead of 2.573 million and we would have seen 1873 deaths in the past week instead of 6236.

I'd take that trade in a heartbeat. Why wouldn't you?

Holy. Hell.

We would have a total of 5.576 million cases and 64,798 deaths since the beginning of the pandemic instead of 6.404 million cases and 192,358 deaths. We would have 1.145 million current active infections instead of 2.573 million and we would have seen 1873 deaths in the past week instead of 6236.

I'd take that trade in a heartbeat. Why wouldn't you?
And right now the case count and concomitant death rate would be accelerating across the country. You don't get to pretend that what's happening in SD right now isn't occurring. Your numbers give us nearly 800,000 new cases in the US in the last week and at least 1,100 deaths TODAY if we're following SD trends. (Yeah, SD has recorded three new deaths today - so far.) You also don't get to pretend that their actions over the past month won't cause disease and deaths in other parts of the country that won't be tied to their stupidity.

So tell us again how much better they're doing. Or better yet - not that you'll listen - STFU.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
And right now the case count and concomitant death rate would be accelerating across the country. You don't get to pretend that what's happening in SD right now isn't occurring. Your numbers give us nearly 800,000 new cases in the US in the last week and at least 1,100 deaths TODAY if we're following SD trends. (Yeah, SD has recorded three new deaths today - so far.) You also don't get to pretend that their actions over the past month won't cause disease and deaths in other parts of the country that won't be tied to their stupidity.

So tell us again how much better they're doing. Or better yet - not that you'll listen - STFU.
That's awesome. The numbers prove my point if we look at the total number of people who have died, the total number of people who have been infected, the number of people who are currently infected, and the number of people who have died in the past 7 days.

But the numbers prove your point if we extrapolate South Dakota's numbers to a national level based on a percentage increase of positive tests compared to a significantly lower starting point. I guess if you pick enough cherries you eventually find one that suits you.

Look at it this way - South Dakota's numbers have been so much better than the national average for so long that if the entire country had fared the same way but tomorrow 800,000 people got infected and 125,000 people died, we would still be better off overall.

That's awesome. The numbers prove my point if we look at the total number of people who have died, the total number of people who have been infected, the number of people who are currently infected, and the number of people who have died in the past 7 days.

But the numbers prove your point if we extrapolate South Dakota's numbers to a national level based on a percentage increase of positive tests compared to a significantly lower starting point. I guess if you pick enough cherries you eventually find one that suits you.

Look at it this way - South Dakota's numbers have been so much better than the national average for so long that if the entire country had fared the same way but tomorrow 800,000 people got infected and 125,000 people died, we would still be better off overall.
LOL...and still end up in the same place thanks to the stupidity of people like your SD gov. Your "point" is about as useful as saying that if we had followed New Zealand's example we'd have fewer than 2,000 deaths total right now. Why is it so difficult for you to acknowledge the facts when they're slapping you in the face...repeatedly. SD's governor is fvcking up. Just say it.

LOL...and still end up in the same place thanks to the stupidity of people like your SD gov. Your "point" is about as useful as saying that if we had followed New Zealand's example we'd have fewer than 2,000 deaths total right now. Why is it so difficult for you to acknowledge the facts when they're slapping you in the face...repeatedly. SD's governor is fvcking up. Just say it.
You guys have been ragging on Kristi since day one. For six months you've bitched about her response, even as the national average deaths per capita remained 300% higher than South Dakota's.

Six months. Now that SD has had one bad week you want to act like the criticism has been justified all along. You can't even begin to compare the overall big picture because the numbers absolutely whip your ass. So instead you fixate on their one week uptick as a percentage increase over numbers that were well below the national average to start with.

Why is it so difficult for you to acknowledge that you're just fishing for any excuse to criticize Noem? Because you sure as hell weren't giving her any credit when South Dakota's per capita numbers were about 1/3 of the national average.

I don’t really have an opinion one way or another on the SD governor’s general handling of Covid.

I posted this thread to show that the dumbasses that made the “wait 2 weeks” joke when some of us said Sturgis was a bad idea and would result in more cases, sickness and death were, in fact, dumbasses.

Which they are. Because here we are two weeks later and as a result of Sturgis there is an uptick in cases, illness and death.

You guys have been ragging on Kristi since day one. For six months you've bitched about her response, even as the national average deaths per capita remained 300% higher than South Dakota's.

Six months. Now that SD has had one bad week you want to act like the criticism has been justified all along. You can't even begin to compare the overall big picture because the numbers absolutely whip your ass. So instead you fixate on their one week uptick as a percentage increase over numbers that were well below the national average to start with.

Why is it so difficult for you to acknowledge that you're just fishing for any excuse to criticize Noem? Because you sure as hell weren't giving her any credit when South Dakota's per capita numbers were about 1/3 of the national average.
*sigh* Because her path was guaranteed to produce exactly the result they are facing today. This really isn;t that hard. You're riding in my backseat on the highway. (you don;t get to sit up front - sorry). A car passes us doing 150. I say they're driving like an idiot. YOU say they're going to get where they're going much sooner. We come up on their car in pieces after hitting a bridge abutment. I say "See?". You say, "My original point still stands. They got here long before we did"

You - quite literally - sound that damn stupid every single time you do this.

I don’t really have an opinion one way or another on the SD governor’s general handling of Covid.

I posted this thread to show that the dumbasses that made the “wait 2 weeks” joke when some of us said Sturgis was a bad idea and would result in more cases, sickness and death were, in fact, dumbasses.

Which they are. Because here we are two weeks later and as a result of Sturgis there is an uptick in cases, illness and death.
Three deaths today - so far - in SD. That's the equivalent of over 1,100 deaths in the US. And there will undoubtedly be deaths in other parts of the country that may never be traced back to that gathering. But science is the boogeyman to these people.

*sigh* Because her path was guaranteed to produce exactly the result they are facing today. This really isn;t that hard. You're riding in my backseat on the highway. (you don;t get to sit up front - sorry). A car passes us doing 150. I say they're driving like an idiot. YOU say they're going to get where they're going much sooner. We come up on their car in pieces after hitting a bridge abutment. I say "See?". You say, "My original point still stands. They got here long before we did"

You - quite literally - sound that damn stupid every single time you do this.
Did 125,000 people die when their car hit the bridge abutment? Because otherwise your analogy sucks.

Three deaths today - so far - in SD. That's the equivalent of over 1,100 deaths in the US.
Which is roughly the number of people who did die today in the US.

For the first time in six months, South Dakota’s single day death toll is comparable to the rest of the country and you want yo crucify Noem for it.

Which is roughly the number of people who did die today in the US.

For the first time in six months, South Dakota’s single day death toll is comparable to the rest of the country and you want yo crucify Noem for it.
And exactly what everyone has been saying would occur due to her ignorance is now occurring. She doesn't get a pass because it's happening now rather than last month.

Didn’t we know from the beginning that the rural areas of the country would see their surge much later than the high density areas? New York and California were killing off old people while the Dakotas were relatively quiet. This isn’t much of a surprise.

Reactions: lucas80

What other medical condition is deaths the baseline worry like covid has become with the layperson?

Last edited:
South Dakota has had a grand total of 173 COVID deaths since the beginning of this pandemic. That’s about one (1) per day.

Uh Oh.......SOMEONE has (again) forgotten how the "timelines" on Covid play out....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT