ADVERTISEMENT

Things - Kent St

J_Heater

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2005
Crowd looked great in gold today but lots of empty seats in the upper decks.

Iowa 14 straight wins over non-conference opponents. 9 straight wins overall.

Didn’t know this until they said it on air, Iowa 5 straight wins over ranked opponents. I got a feeling they will get a chance at 6 and 7 in weeks 5 (Maryland) and 6 (Penn St)

25 straight games now holding opponents under 25 points. Marshall gave up 42 today so no idea who is in 2nd place now.

I thought the play by play guy for BTN was awful. He didn’t seem to know what the hell was going on or even who was on the field most of the game. Herron did fine.

The last power 5 team to lose to Kent St is still Iowa State.

Agree with Herron, it was so obvious today that the word is out on Charlie Jones. They were not going to let him return the ball. The only time he did was after the safety and he made them pay.

Defense 3rd straight game with scoring points. Opponents 30, Iowa defense 20. That’s pretty damn good.

Balanced offense is what we had today. 38 Runs, 37 passes. 212 passing yards, 208 rushing yards.

I thought in the 1st quarter Iowa dominated but they just weren’t very focused. Dumb penalties are not like Iowa.

I thought the refs missed a lot of calls on both sides and even the replay with one monster F up.

The defensive line controlled the LOS all day, 7 sacks, constantly in the backfield, harassing the QB, 10 tackles for loss. Again, nobody on that line screams All-American but man they just play really well.

I loved the final drive of the 1st half. Kirk Ferentz wet dream. 20 plays, 95 yards, 8 ½ minutes and finished off with a Touchdown.

I thought Kent St hit harder than Indiana or Iowa St. They weren’t as good obviously but man they can lay some wood.

I think this is the best our Offensive Line has played in the first 3 games but that could have a lot to do with the competition. Lindy was Lindy but Mason Richmond played his best game by far IMO.

Someone in the game thread said Dolphin on the radio said there were people open downfield that Petras can’t see. That almost made me believe there probably wasn’t. Dolphin doesn't have a great track record with game details.

1st quarter
15:00 Kent St player runs into Laporta about a full 5 seconds after he catches the fair catch. Then acted like it was an accident. Just odd.

Next play – Ince and Britt and guard for Iowa to start. Great cut back by Goodson for the big gain. Linderbaum drove his guy all the way to the sideline.

Next play – Bruce in at WR.

13:29 Goodson was open in the middle of the field, but they went to K. Johnson who was fairly well covered but overthrown anyway.

12:40 Tracy falls down on the screen but I’m positive they had a 1st down if he keeps his feet. Ince and Richmond just destroyed a S at the end of the play.

Next play – On the punt, the returner actually runs into Roberts but that’s still his responsibility not to run into him. If you watch from the beginning, he got a great release off the LOS to get down there with a sweet move. IKM got thrown to the ground and he turns around the ball hits him right in the chest at the 1.

11:35 Hankkins was held. Waggoner got a bit too far inside but like always, when our DL does make a little mistake somebody is there to clean it up. Koerner with a great open field tackle.

Next play – Nice read and tackle for loss by Benson.

10:22 Colby in at RG, Dejong was the false starter on the penalty. They never called his number.

10:17 They go sweep with Charlie Jones, Goodson blocks nobody and then looks to complain about it. Not sure what he was upset about, he had 2 guys to choose and chose nobody.

Next play – Try to run a screen to Goodson and all the OL is behind Goodson. Not a well-executed play and Goodson looked really frustrated with Colby but hard to tell.

Next play – Punt and Roberts makes up for his penalty. Thought outside of that penalty he was outstanding all day which he usually is.

Next play – Waggoner with the sack, VV forced Crumb inside right into him.

8:10 Not a great play by D to get the safety as it was just a bad snap, but what I loved was 6 guys were in on the tackle in the end zone. Why Crumb didn’t immediately push the ball outside the end zone I don’t know.

Next play – They have to kick to Jones and he has a great return set up by IKM who blocks one guy into another guy to give him room.

Next play – 7:56 Schott in at LG, Britt at RG.

6:45 TD run by Goodson and he bobbled the pitch. Love his 2nd level gear though. Linderbaum with a pancake and I’d say his foot is fine as Schott was all the way downfield. Nobody to block but great hustle.

6:34 Hurkett/Craig in at DE, Jacobs in for Belton. Hankkins was beat on this play but a bad throw by Crumb.

Next play – They talked about Parker saying Riley gets caught looking in the backfield and it showed here. Beat badly.

5:10 We are in straight man to man and Belton just gets beat for the TD. He was right there but still beat.

5:00 Colby in at RG, Ince at LG and Bruce in at WR. Nice throw and catch Petras to Laporta. Right read but Pottebaum was in the flat with nobody around him either.

3:25 IKM with a great blitz pick up. He played well all day except the 2 fumbles. Can’t do that.

Next play – Great seal block by Laporta.

Next play – 2:15 Lachey blocked well all game but really well here. I love his game. He’s going to be good. Linderbaum gets to the 2nd level so fast for his size.

Next play – They held Pottebaum and crowd saw it right away. They called it. Something I noticed here on the bootleg, Pottebaum was underneath and Tracy was deeper but his pattern ran him right into where Bruce was standing. Don’t think Bruce was supposed to be there.

1:00 Black/Van Ness at DT, Evans in a DE for Waggoner.

:10 Evans gets the sack, not a lot of push from Van Ness and Black but they gave Crumb no lane to run up in.

2nd QTR
15:00 Crumb looks hurt after Campbell hits him near the sideline. Also, thought it was a mistake to take this penalty. It would have been 3rd and 11 but they took it and it ended up getting us some field position so I was wrong.

14:30 Both DE’s get in the backfield quickly, Van Valkenberg gets the TFL.

13:05 Laporta with a nice block and Richmond as well. The Kent St S runs over the official. Goodson with a nice spin but man it seemed like when he started to run it was almost like he was in quicksand.

12:29 Goodson with a bad block and forces Petras to throw early. A fan catches it, holds it up and then goes right back to his phone. LOL

Next play – Here there is no reason for Petras to leave the pocket but he does. He goes to Ragaini who has no shot to do anything with it. The only other receiver I could see in the pattern was Goodson and he was well covered.

11:25 Waggoner goes to VV spot at right DE, Evans on the left side.

10:55 Moss gets beat for the 2nd time deep but this time I don’t think that was on him. He looked immediately to Merriweather like where were you. If you watch the replay you can see Hankins do the same thing that Moss did by playing zone and releasing the WR. Koerner went with Hankins guy until the ball was thrown so I think that one was more on KM than Moss.

9:50 Waggoner gets caught inside but Benson with a great clean up on the tackle.

Next play – Great move by Shannon on the G, then dives over the RB and almost gets the feet of Crumb. He shows flashes of being a really great DT.

9:09 No way in hell is that intentional grounding. I’ve seen that so many times and they always give the QB the benefit of the doubt. Not a great day by the stripes. They struggled.

8:57 Schott in at G and Colby in at RG. Their CB wanted no part of Pottebaum. This would have been a really big gain if Bruce holds his block. If he does, there is nobody else and Goodson is off to the races.

6:10 Great back shoulder throw by Petras and Tracy drops it. Only drop I had on the day. Well there was a 2nd one but it was complete BS so we are calling it 1.

5:30 Bad throw here but I’m not sure why Jones goes to his knees so early. Seems to me he could have run back to the ball. He goes to his knees and then lunges forward to get to the ball. He could have made a better play on that. Lachey stayed in to block and did really well on the DE. Liking his game a lot.

Next play – Colby dominates the DT and pancakes him.

3:40 Nice read by Petras to dump it down to IKM and IKM has to hang on to the ball better. I’m not sure but I don’t think he played RB again the rest of the game. KF had seen enough. Laporta Johnny on the spot with the recovery.

1:50 Nice screen to Tracy and once again Kent St with a monster hit. Great job holding on to the ball by Tracy. Also the ball was caught just beyond the LOS and Richmond was about 6 yards down field. Should have been a penalty on him. Lachey with another great block on this play and then rushes over to help Tracy up. He just brings a lot of energy.

1:05 Petras wants K. Johnson and he breaks free from the CB, but if you watch the S he springs over to cover Johnson and Petras makes the right call not throwing it. He dumps it down to G. Williams

:12 Campbell comes in on the blitz and takes a shot right to his knee by the RB, falls down, gets back up and still gets the sack.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News