ADVERTISEMENT

This is getting old fast.

The NCAA is only for making money so this won't change. The rich will get richer. And now that a player can be bought the landscape will change a little. Car dealers will offer 5 start recruits $100,000 to promote their cars and now your Iowa's and Iowa States will never be able to compete...But the NCAA will still collect the millions just like before. You're S. Cals and Oregon will now compete just like Alabama has for years. All the smaller schools like Iowa will now be training schools just like your Jr. colleges have been for years....Now the saying, "The rich get richer" is really true....We'll all still watch and complain but in a few years your millionaires will say who wins National Titles. This is a bunch of 2021 bull sh--.

This is why it will be hard to ever beat Alabama. They bring in top recruiting classes every year. And now with the transfer portal, they can pick and choose elite players who will be eligible immediately. Hell, Ohio State is not even immune.

From the story:

It's the second straight week that Alabama coach Nick Saban has pulled a potential impact player from the transfer portal.

Last week, former Ohio State starting wide receiver Jameson Williams announced that he would be going to Alabama.

And Saturday, Henry To'o To'o, a former SEC All-Freshman selection who led Tennessee football in tackles last season, announced that he is transferring to Alabama.

To'o To'o, a California native and the No. 4-rated outside linebacker in the Class of 2019, started all 10 games at weakside linebacker last season and led the Volunteers with 76 tackles, including 10 tackles for loss.

The NCAA is only for making money so this won't change. The rich will get richer. And now that a player can be bought the landscape will change a little. Car dealers will offer 5 start recruits $100,000 to promote their cars and now your Iowa's and Iowa States will never be able to compete...But the NCAA will still collect the millions just like before. You're S. Cals and Oregon will now compete just like Alabama has for years. All the smaller schools like Iowa will now be training schools just like your Jr. colleges have been for years....Now the saying, "The rich get richer" is really true....We'll all still watch and complain but in a few years your millionaires will say who wins National Titles. This is a bunch of 2021 bull sh--.
Absolutely, said this when the portal started. People who think the portal is a good thing for Iowa are being naive. Sure we'll get an occasional player, but ours will pale in comparison to what Bama, OSU and Oklahoma will reel in. This will be much like the new NBA where players simply line up to win championships. This destroys the chance to catch up by team building, and development, the benchmarks of Iowa football. Once every 4 or 5 years we would have a very competitive team, but even the last several years we've seen our top juniors leave early for the league, and now this crap. Other then an occasional Josey Jewell type player who is all in on Iowa, what will stop our top players from heading for the big dogs? Sheer numbers say they can't take them all, but the overall strength of those top few teams will make ever catching them damn near impossible, because they'll never have a down year talent wise, or a hole in their lineup. Can't really blame Saban, he's operating within the current rules, but the NCAA neeeds to fix this, though we all know thats a fantasy.

Absolutely, said this when the portal started. People who think the portal is a good thing for Iowa are being naive. Sure we'll get an occasional player, but ours will pale in comparison to what Bama, OSU and Oklahoma will reel in. This will be much like the new NBA where players simply line up to win championships. This destroys the chance to catch up by team building, and development, the benchmarks of Iowa football. Once every 4 or 5 years we would have a very competitive team, but even the last several years we've seen our top juniors leave early for the league, and now this crap. Other then an occasional Josey Jewell type player who is all in on Iowa, what will stop our top players from heading for the big dogs? Sheer numbers say they can't take them all, but the overall strength of those top few teams will make ever catching them damn near impossible, because they'll never have a down year talent wise, or a hole in their lineup. Can't really blame Saban, he's operating within the current rules, but the NCAA neeeds to fix this, though we all know thats a fantasy.
What it will take is someone having concrete proof that guys are entering the portal AFTER contact initiated by the offending blueblood.

I hope they will eventually put a cap on how many you can bring in a year or certain time frame. What else can you do?

Last edited:
What it will take is someone having concrete proof that guys are entering the portal AFTER contact initiated by the offending blueblood.

The "bluebloods" don't have to contact them first. There is no risk to the player for entering the portal. If the team he wants to transfer to doesn't show interest, he can stay where he is. Bama can still only have 85 players on scholarship just like every other team. Yes. The portal sucks. But it was not created to make it easier for Bama to dominate. It was consistent with the "social justice" campaign that major sports has been about in recent years. You know, shifting the balance of power from the oppressors to the oppressed.

The "bluebloods" don't have to contact them first. There is no risk to the player for entering the portal. If the team he wants to transfer to doesn't show interest, he can stay where he is. Bama can still only have 85 players on scholarship just like every other team. Yes. The portal sucks. But it was not created to make it easier for Bama to dominate. It was consistent with the "social justice" campaign that major sports has been about in recent years. You know, shifting the balance of power from the oppressors to the oppressed.
A kid getting a free education, access to best training and food, not to mention all the other perks, doesn't impress upon me the label "oppressed". But that's a "me" thing.

Maybe time for no athletic scholarships, no multi million dollar coaches ,no huge TV contracts and schools focus on education.
Move on to Euro style club teams and minor league feeder systems.
Have STUDENT-athletes play with a return to sanity.
Makes as much sense as anything else we keep getting in the name of "fairness" and "progress".

No one is saying that it was created for that purpose, but you can already see the effects of this, and how it helps the "rich" fill what few gaps they might have. I also realized many of the changes the last decade have been forced on the NCAA by players and those wanting their piece of the pie, BUT at some point either there is a body governing college athletics OR there is not, and I fear we are heading full speed at the latter. As much as most all fans are displeased with the job the NCAA has done for as long as we can remember, the alternative is an even more rudderless ship heading for the abyss, and I fear we're well on our way......

Maybe time for no athletic scholarships, no multi million dollar coaches ,no huge TV contracts and schools focus on education.
Move on to Euro style club teams and minor league feeder systems.
Have STUDENT-athletes play with a return to sanity.
I’d be for this. And schools would still get top talent. What would you rather watch? The semi pro team from the quad cities playing the semi pro team from Omaha, or the Iowa Hawkeyes playing the Nebraska Cornhuskers? I think most people still care about the name on the front of the jersey more than the one on the back.

Good for him. If you want to experience winning a National championship, there’s only a handful of teams that can offer that. Players should be able to play wherever they want to.

B-ball related but same idea. Kentucky basketball players will make more via sponsorships than going to the G-league or overseas. Potential mid-six figures or more for a freshman b-ball player unless caps are put in place. Calipari is the highest paid coach at $10million/yr which is over $5,000,000 more than 2nd place Coach K. Money no object in UK basketball.

Reactions: chuck285
I’d be for this. And schools would still get top talent. What would you rather watch? The semi pro team from the quad cities playing the semi pro team from Omaha, or the Iowa Hawkeyes playing the Nebraska Cornhuskers? I think most people still care about the name on the front of the jersey more than the one on the back.
Ah the fantasy of it. Highly doubt this is just going to turn 180 degrees given all the $$$ currently involved. The current system is a major source of pride and noteriety for these schools, not to mention a cash cow. Whatever creative accounting takes place you can't tell me these schools are not skimming from these 100's of millions these football teams are bringing in. What about donors to the schools? Yes they may still give to worthy causes, but they get a lot more run from their name on the sports complex or the coaches naming rights as ridiculous as that is then they will for some science building that no one who doesn't step foot on campus will ever hear of.

Love the defeatist mindset of this board in regards to all things transfer portal related. Bunch of old crab asses who yearn for yesteryear, when a man put in his 40 years at the John Deere plant and sailed off into the pension sunset.

Instead of “the rich get richer” why not consider how this new system could benefit you?

Sorry, but BAMA was ALREADY the best in the business. So what if this makes them a little better. Everyone else now has to find ways to make this new system help level the playing field.

Alright. Will let you guys get back to your tears and woe is me world.

Love the defeatist mindset of this board in regards to all things transfer portal related. Bunch of old crab asses who yearn for yesteryear, when a man put in his 40 years at the John Deere plant and sailed off into the pension sunset.

Instead of “the rich get richer” why not consider how this new system could benefit you?

Sorry, but BAMA was ALREADY the best in the business. So what if this makes them a little better. Everyone else now has to find ways to make this new system help level the playing field.

Alright. Will let you guys get back to your tears and woe is me world.
What lucrative deal have you put on the table for that 4* WR we’re after?

A kid getting a free education, access to best training and food, not to mention all the other perks, doesn't impress upon me the label "oppressed". But that's a "me" thing.
The kid signs a contract. There's no free involved. In exchange, the kid works his ass off and helps the athletic department raise revenue and helps the university solicit alumni donations and endowments.

Oppressed? Holy hyperbole!

Iowa is already at a disadvantage as far as recruiting, facilities (let's be honest - Iowa's facilities are good but jaw-dropping), and doesn't rely on bribing players with additional perks like some other programs do. Yet Iowa still finds a way to compete. Was Iowa "supposed" to beat Ohio State in 2017? Was Iowa "supposed" to beat Mississippi State in the Outback Bowl? Was Iowa "supposed" to beat USC in the Holiday Bowl? The first two were definite "hell to the nos", yet the talking heads chalked that up to a bad day at the office for Iowa's opponents without actually directly crediting Iowa for making their opponents play like garbage rather than them intentionally playing like garbage. Iowa was favored in the Holiday Bowl I believe, but it was projected to be a nail-biter and not a blowout.

Iowa (and to a similar extent, Wisconsin) succeeds because the players really want to be there, not because a local business owning-alumni give out $500 handshakes, or simply use the school as a means to get to the next level.

Iowa is in a pretty damn good spot right now. Time is not on KF's side right now, but he'll leave when he's good and ready, and my guess is he'll have a say in who his successor is (I know he's close to Brian, but he's also keenly aware of the political climate, so my guess is if there's going to be any continuity, the sports car keys should go to Phil P should he so choose).

Bummer we wasted all those years of a more equal playing field celebrating 7-5 and sun/pinstripe/outback bowls. We bitched about the top teams paying players and now they don't even have to hide it. Adapt and overcome or be left behind. Part of "doing it right" better be losing the archaic mindset.

Win: 60% of the time.

Graduate: as long as you dont pay attention to our horrible African american graduation rates we do it pretty welll.

Do it right: as soon as we are done with these last couple of lawsuits we will be right back to telling you how right we do it!

Time to shit or get off the pot Iowa AD.

Bummer we wasted all those years of a more equal playing field celebrating 7-5 and sun/pinstripe/outback bowls. We bitched about the top teams paying players and now they don't even have to hide it. Adapt and overcome or be left behind. Part of "doing it right" better be losing the archaic mindset.

Graduate: as long as you dont pay attention to our horrible African american graduation rates we do it pretty welll.

Do it right: as soon as we are done with these last couple of lawsuits we will be right back to telling you how right we do it!

Or maybe you just go cheer for iowa state

Not to beat a dead horse, but unfortunately transfers count against the graduation rate, and Iowa does have a problem keeping AA athletes on the roster. Some of it is cultural, some of it is playing time (or lack thereof), some of it is homesickness, etc.

James Daniels has been one of the biggest critics of the locker room culture, which wasn't particularly designed for POC athletes. Unlike some other former players, his intent was not to burn bridges (it initially came across that way), but rather build new ones. I'd love for him to return to Iowa City one day and help make that difference.

Go back to players sitting a year before they can play. This will help slow down the transfer portal.
Agree. Also, once in the trans portal, the player cannot return to current school, whether or not signed with a different school.

Go back to players sitting a year before they can play. This will help slow down the transfer portal.
Completely agree. There needs to be some sort of disincentive to players transferring. Note that I said "disincentive", not punishment. Another year of free college doesn't sound like punishment to me.

You recruit kids to get them to your program, then you recruit kids from the portal. In the meantime you have to keep recruiting your own players to keep them in the program.

Every day, college sports get closer to pro sports. 😌

I wonder if they pay for play would work here? If they got to a point where starters commanded most of the benefits I would think that would help schools like Iowa.
Lets say Alabamas starters earn $100,000 in benefits per year. The rest capped to %50 (>$50,000).
Let say teams like Iowa could offer $70,000 per year for starters.
Making up numbers here, but I think something like that could work. Of course there would still be some under the table handlings. People are shady so that will never change.

I wonder if they pay for play would work here? If they got to a point where starters commanded most of the benefits I would think that would help schools like Iowa.
Lets say Alabamas starters earn $100,000 in benefits per year. The rest capped to %50 (>$50,000).
Let say teams like Iowa could offer $70,000 per year for starters.
Making up numbers here, but I think something like that could work. Of course there would still be some under the table handlings. People are shady so that will never change.

Any P5 football player is already getting benefits of that value.

Call me old school, but I personally think paying college players will eventually ruin College football, just as I think this transfer portal is a push in that direction. I think the transfer portal is already in the mold of the NFL's free agency, and eventually by paying players, the best players will go to the highest bidder. Then what, when those high paid players are irritated, or don't get their way, they threaten to not play? Just look how the NFL and NBA are ruining their own sports with social justice and wokeness. As a former correctional officer, I can honestly say it's not a good thing to let the inmates run the institution ( figuratively speaking). I think D1 college sports with the transfer portal has already opened Pandora's box, and now with all the talk of paying players it's too late to put the lid back on. You know, like I said, I am old school, but these kids get a free education, eat better food then ANY paying student, and are getting to play a sport they love. Isn't that enough? It appears not to be. I'll say this, I don't watch the NBA or the NFL because off all the kneeling and social justice BS. I don't care if an athlete wants to protest what he believes in, just not on my dime. Pro athletes are paid to play and entertain, and I fear this will be the fate of College sports. Then, for me it will be unwatchable. If your going to pay college players, do it this way. Take all the money from whoever wants to pay them, and put it into a sharing deal similar to how the BiG does it and divide it between EVERY player on EVERY team. Just my opinion for what it's worth. ;)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT