ADVERTISEMENT

This isn’t going to end well (NIL and the transfer portal)

Absolute shit idea some idiots came up with that thought this would be a good deal for college sports. Seems like this is the rule of the day, to have idiots in charge...
Well, JBo was an integral part of the push. Perhaps you should extend a debt of gratitude to him.

Who's blaming one political party? My issue is with the NCAA and even more so with the Universities themselves who have allowed this shit to happen and have relinquished pretty much ALL control over whats going on right under their damn noses, and in their own houses.....Nobody is saying these players can't see some financial gain, BUT SOMEONE has to establish some guidelines here, and as usual the silence is deafening....
The folks who I replied to originally.. reading comprehension hard for you?

It’s been trending this way for almost 40 years. It’s ok for coaches to make millions off the backs of college kids but not for them to get their own?
And this is the other side of it. A lot of grown men—not just coaches—have gotten filthy rich off the backs of “student athletes” for many decades now. Thus, the destruction of college athletics was in the works long before NIL was ever conceived of. NIL was just the catalyst to expedite a process that was already chugging along for at least the last twenty or thirty years, if not longer, with things finally coming to a head when enough “student athletes” banded together to push NIL through the courts. As we already established, with the obscene amount of money many adults have been making off their labor for quite a few years now, can anyone really blame them?

Frankly, as we all well know, blue bloods and others have already been doing some form of NIL for eons, which the NCAA has ostensibly turned a blind eye to for just as long. So, if anything, at least all the shady, under-the-table bullshit is pretty much out in the open now. Perhaps the NCAA at some point will impose salary caps and actual restrictions on the free agency/transfer portal market, but I think in general the end of college sports as we once knew them is already upon us. In a few short years, if not sooner, you’ll start seeing major conference realignments, as D1 will be broken into different leagues based on revenue. I can easily envision an elite league of twenty or more blue bloods forming—into whatever two or three super conferences that will emerge—with those teams competing for a prestigious national title. Then there will be a league for the Iowas of college sports with a secondary national title to compete for followed by a mid-major league and then everyone else. Should be great. 🙄

Absolute shit idea some idiots came up with that thought this would be a good deal for college sports. Seems like this is the rule of the day, to have idiots in charge...
Only morons thought this would be good for college basketball.

The ncaa didn't allow this because they thought it would be good for the sport, they knew it wouldn't be, thats why it was always against the rules.

They allowed it to avoid the scrutiny that the players suing them would bring on their own financial corruption.

A handful of schools are going to benefit wildly and everyone else is going to be left in the dust ultimately destroying the product of college basketball.

The %95 of schools being hurt by this need to get together and fire the ncaa and start over.

You guys both realize all I did was copy and paste Kavanaugh's opinion from the Supreme Court ruling, correct? I didn't state an opinion at all on NIL other than people shouldn't blame one political party for this.
Did no one inform Brett Kavanaugh of the existence of a wide variety of professional basketball leagues that do infact compete with the ncaa schools?

And yet you replied directly to MY post, or are you incapable of communicating your thoughts to the correct posters? :confused:
Go back and read who you originally quoted and replied to bud. I replied to you after you took my original post out of context?

Go back and read who you originally quoted and replied to bud. I replied to you after you took my original post out of context?
Maybe if people would stop with the freakin snide comments like"is reading comprehension a problem for you" we wouldn't have to have this kind of back and forth. Just do you though I guess. You'll fit right in here unfortunately.....

It’s been trending this way for almost 40 years. It’s ok for coaches to make millions off the backs of college kids but not for them to get their own?
No, it isn't ok with me. There should be (or should have been) a cap on coaching salaries.

But, the genie is out of the bottle now. No turning back.

The best thing that could happen would be for the NCAA and the NBA to get together and let kids of any age and scholastic achievement enter the draft. Don't make kids attend college for a year getting paid like they are already in the league. Make them earn that salary, either in the G League, NBA or overseas.

The best thing that could happen would be for the NCAA and the NBA to get together and let kids of any age and scholastic achievement enter the draft. Don't make kids attend college for a year getting paid like they are already in the league. Make them earn that salary, either in the G League, NBA or overseas.
I think it’s too late. You will not walk back NIL. If you tried that is when you will see the lawsuits.

NCAA will always pay more than the GLeauge 90% of the time. Under the table or NIL.

Players wanted paid, they got paid. Give the scholarships to low income students, make all athletes pay for food, gear, school, room and board…. And hope they save some to Pay their taxes.

Reactions: warriors dad
I think it’s too late. You will not walk back NIL. If you tried that is when you will see the lawsuits.

NCAA will always pay more than the GLeauge 90% of the time. Under the table or NIL.
And I don't think the NBA is prepared to allow high schoolers enter the NBA draft again. They really need to see these players against better competition otherwise the draft will be a complete crapshoot, more than it already is, as far as who is going to develop into a NBA player.

“The NCAA couches its arguments for not paying student athletes in innocuous labels. . . But the labels cannot disguise the reality: The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America. All of the restaurants in a region cannot come together to cut cooks’ wages on the theory that ‘customers prefer’ to eat food from low-paid cooks. Law firms cannot conspire to cabin lawyers’ salaries in the name of providing legal services out of a ‘love of the law.’ Hospitals cannot agree to cap nurses’ income in order to create a ‘purer’ form of helping the sick. News organizations cannot join forces to curtail pay to reporters to preserve a ‘tradition’ of public-minded journalism. Movie studios cannot collude to slash benefits to camera crews to kindle a ‘spirit of amateurism’ in Hollywood.”
"Price-fixing labor is price-fixing labor,” Justice Kavanaugh states. “And price-fixing labor is ordinarily a textbook antitrust problem because it extinguishes the free market in which individuals can otherwise obtain fair compensation for their work. . . . Businesses like the NCAA cannot avoid the consequences of price-fixing labor by incorporating price-fixed labor into the definition of the product.” -Kavanaugh

But sure, let's blame the thing I don't like on the group of people I don't like, even when this was caused by a 9-0 bi-partisan SC decision lol
The NCAA seems to have made poor arguements if you read the entire Supreme Court opinion in the NCAA v Alston case. First let me note that this is no longer NIL. This is a free market valuation of players and what someone is willing to pay.

The problem with that in regards to the NCAA institutions is that money flowing to players may reduce the money going directly to the university. The revenue generating sport(s) spreads that revenue across many non revenue sports as well as helps ensure Title IX compliance.

No one can predict the future, but a world that shifts donations directly to a select few players threatens the abilty to fund the entire athletic department. In some institutions that increased burden may then fall on taxpayers. Or maybe it doesn't. Maybe it results in slowing the growth of coach's salaries, which wouldn't be all bad.

Wasn’t the NIL supposed to even out the playing field. The SEC has been doing this forever and now they just legalized it for all. Pay for play is nothing new to a lot of the programs. There are still only so many spots available and usually the blue bloods get the top level unless there is some connection to a certain school or coach.

Unfettered capitalism is liberal now?

No but this out of control, feel sorry for the poor players even though they are getting free tuition, shelter food exc. So let's make a plan where these poor players can make a butt load of free money along with Everything else they are getting...because they are so miss treated. That's the liberalism part of it. Libs can't do anything right

NBA gonna feel dumb when kids are getting paid so much they worry about taking a pay cut in the nba!!

You guys both realize all I did was copy and paste Kavanaugh's opinion from the Supreme Court ruling, correct? I didn't state an opinion at all on NIL other than people shouldn't blame one political party for this.
No, I didn't realize that - my point stands but it was directed inaccurately.

My point is that a certain number of HS athletes have very little interest in attending college level classes and even fewer will be pursuing a degree that they assume will will be useless to them once the big money starts to flow in. Why even further the sham that they are "student/athletes?"
Let the NBA sign them, park them in the G league for their first year, where they will be playing against next level competition. If they succeed, sign them to a NBA contract. If not just let them go.

Reactions: Iron Doc
No but this out of control, feel sorry for the poor players even though they are getting free tuition, shelter food exc. So let's make a plan where these poor players can make a butt load of free money along with Everything else they are getting...because they are so miss treated. That's the liberalism part of it. Libs can't do anything right

So you want to regulate how someone makes money? Just because it may ruin something you like?? You sound like a liberal

Reactions: mikesright
The basic problem many people have with the NCAA is that it makes a lot of money and some individuals greatly benefit from it. So f'n what. It's a lot more difficult to manage large scale events than most people understand. The NCAA will collapse and there will come a time when everyone will wish college sports would return to days gone by. I agree with collage athletes being able to capitalize on their NIL. But when six figure deals are being offered it's eventually going to be a problem. Just wait until NIKE gets involved on the up and up and it's not just flashy swag being offered.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
This really turns me off if this is the way it’s going to be. Wild West … and gives a fan little hope of player loyalty versus ‘show me the money.’

I expect you will show SP the loyalty he has shown iowa this year...you know vs 'show me the results'

So you want to regulate how someone makes money? Just because it may ruin something you like?? You sound like a liliberal
Its not a regulation on how someone makes money its a regulation on who the ncaa can declare eligible for their leauge.

Anyone can sell their autograph for money.

Anyone is free to pursue professional basketball at any time.

There are zero regulations on how people make money playing a sport.

Reactions: littlez
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT