ADVERTISEMENT

This Saturday’s Observations re Hawks

Oldgold51

Team MVP
Aug 16, 2015
As a consequence of our Hawks not playing this Saturday, I had an opportunity to watch a LOT of college football from across the nation.

After having done so, 2 things are clear to me.

One, our defense’s disciplined play is exceptional. Across the nation I saw free lancing, disregard of gap assignments and piss poor tackling.

Two, QBs that can run well are an elixir for offenses. Kirk could fix a lot of what has ailed Iowa’s offensive scheme by recruiting and playing mobile QBs.

While I prefer a pocket QB, it would definitely make the defense's job more difficult if they at least had to honor the QB's ability to run for a first down on passing situations.

I agree 100 percent, OP. The mobile QB has killed Iowa's exceptional defense on many occasions. You play perfect D, but the QB ad-libs and picks up the crucial first down or TD...nothing more disheartening for a defense than that. So it's especially curious, having been stabbed in the heart so many times by a mobile QB, that KF hasn't made that his number one priority on offense.

Stanley is a great kid and obviously has some talent, but Mansell has the escapability that Stanley does not, a talent that cannot be taught.

As much as it hurts to do so, let's go back to Iowa's ill-fated QB sneak inside the five vs. Wisconsin. With a QB like Mansell, you can run a naked boot or a roll-out and all but guarantee 7 points there, which would have changed the game and almost certainly led to an Iowa win. And that's just ONE play....

The sooner Iowa plays and recruits mobile QBs only, the sooner Iowa's offense will reach its full potential. And, as with Banks, Stanzi, Tate, and Beathard, that doesn't mean Iowa would have to abandon its pro-style offense. Not in the least. Rather, it would just make it far more dangerous.

Brad Banks was great at using his legs when things weren’t open down field.
Drew Tate, while not a great runner, was awesome at using his mobility to scramble and find open receivers.
CJs first year he was very mobile before the crushing injury
Nate Chandler wasn’t very mobile but would run a lot more effectively than it looked.
Nate Stanley needs to run more when things aren’t there. Even if it’s just for a +play.

As a consequence of our Hawks not playing this Saturday, I had an opportunity to watch a LOT of college football from across the nation.

One, our defense’s disciplined play is exceptional. Across the nation I saw free lancing, disregard of gap assignments and piss poor tackling.

Two, QBs that can run well are an elixir for offenses. Kirk could fix a lot of what has ailed Iowa’s offensive scheme by recruiting and playing mobile QBs.
Yes, I would agree. That's why Brad Banks was the best QB for Iowa under the Ferentz era. If we can get some good dual threat QBs, I think the offense becomes way more dangerous than it is now.

Excellent OP. I would also add that there is a clear lack of playmakers/difference makers on both sides of the ball, particularly WR. Not new news to anybody who has watched the Hawks and college football since DJK/McNutt left.

Stanley,Hornibrook,Patterson and Haskins are all drop back passers first All 4 play on pretty good football teams.IMO

I would settle for utilizing Mansell in pre-identified situations such as 4th's and short. Can be a bandaid for this year at least.

Absolutely.

The college game is clearly not the nfl. Effective offenses in college have a qb that moves. Particularly ones that aren't loaded with talent at the other skill positions. And the ones that are loaded with talent everywhere('bama, ou, etc.) are even more exceptional on O because their qb is always a risk to break off a big run. They're a helluva a lot of fun to watch too.

The myth of "either or" with QBs is self-limiting. There's plenty of middle ground between "statue in the pocket" and "running QB". Granted, guys with both skill sets aren't everywhere...but enough mobility to make running a realistic threat is all it takes.

Nate is a good QB, but he doesn't have that. Mansell would appear to. Petras probably not.

The myth of "either or" with QBs is self-limiting. There's plenty of middle ground between "statue in the pocket" and "running QB". Granted, guys with both skill sets aren't everywhere...but enough mobility to make running a realistic threat is all it takes.

Nate is a good QB, but he doesn't have that. Mansell would appear to. Petras probably not.

I think Petras has a little wiggle, not Banks but maybe CJ ish. Starting at the 9:55 mark it shows some of his run ability for a few snaps.

Last edited:
Yes, I would agree. That's why Brad Banks was the best QB for Iowa under the Ferentz era. If we can get some good dual threat QBs, I think the offense becomes way more dangerous than it is now.
But what’s funny, ferentz couldn’t figure it out until his last yr. for him to play behind mccann was a joke

I believe Stanley ran quite a bit in HS. He has decent straight-line running ability. He is good enough to tuck the ball and run for 7-8 yards if things break down and strong enough to finish a run.

Reactions: TheRealHerky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT