ADVERTISEMENT

This sums up what most of us think

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
Two things we already knew were hammered home during Ohio State's 54-10 dismantling of Iowa in Columbus on Saturday.
  1. First, the Buckeyes are pretty darn good on both sides of the ball, even when they don't play their best game.
  2. Second, Iowa offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz needs to be fired, and it's puzzling why it hasn't already happened.
    While the Buckeyes have been tremendously improved on defense under first-year coordinator Jim Knowles, Iowa was pathetic on offense, no matter who played quarterback. Despite a scoop-and-score touchdown by the Hawkeyes, they didn't do anything else on the scoreboard aside from a field goal.
    While Ohio State wasn't as explosive as we're used to seeing against Iowa's normally stingy secondary, the Buckeyes were plenty good enough to continue looking like the Big Ten's best team and one of the top teams in the nation.
    The Buckeyes defense proved Ferentz's continued employment looks like the product of nepotism under his father and head coach Kirk Ferentz. The Hawkeyes were 1-of-13 on third-down conversions, mustered just 158 total yards and turned the ball over six times.

Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud wound up getting his, too, finishing with 286 passing yards and four touchdowns. It was a largely uneven performance for the junior star signal-caller, who threw an interception, misfired on a few balls early and had a fumble returned for a touchdown.
    But he proved he's one of the nation's top playmakers, dissecting Iowa throughout the second half on his way to putting up quality numbers in a runaway win. The Buckeyes just keep marching onward ahead of next week's big battle with Penn State in Happy Valley”

If his ego could take the step back BF should move in as OL coach. The OL is also regressing. BF was a good OL coach. That passing game consultant could fill the gap at OC with a portfolio to make the changes he sees necessary.
Do you mean Budmayr? Why TF would we want him as OC at this point? Go get someone with proven experience in that role.

I do 100 believe BF will be gone at the end of the year. The question is where does papa bear turn for a new OC? BF’s reign as OC will set us back two years at a minimum … Factoring in a new OC, departures, etc. … Kirk let this go on one too many years. BF is (was) not qualified to be our OC… And this is where KF has failed…
I cannot believe Barta was duped into thinking thinking this little experiment would work. I get the offensive line gig because he’s got experience but an OC? Absolutely no experience and he was given a green light. What a clown show.

I cannot believe Barta was duped into thinking thinking this little experiment would work. I get the offensive line gig because he’s got experience but an OC? Absolutely no experience and he was given a green light. What a clown show.
Barta is worthless. Makes enough to fix his teeth and still doesn't even make that obvious decision. When it comes to FB, we have no AD.

Barta is worthless. Makes enough to fix his teeth and still doesn't even make that obvious decision. When it comes to FB, we have no AD.
Lay off his teeth man. Picture or you are just trying to suggest that his teeth are a tad knarly....

And what happens if Iowa beats Northwestern? All is forgiven by fickle Iowa fans and their hopes get up for a shit bowl. No, let it burn so it can be rebuilt. I hope the hell Northwestern wins.
Nothing will be resolved if Iowa wins. Kirk will say they’re improving even though the game is meaningless. No way we’re beating Purdue, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Do you mean Budmayr? Why TF would we want him as OC at this point? Go get someone with proven experience in that role.
Right on man. Do people actually know his background? He was an OC for one season last year at Colorado State before the coaching staff got fired. Guess where the Colorado State offense he left behind is ranked this year? It's doing better than only one team in the country. Free beer for the first correct caller...

And what happens if Iowa beats Northwestern? All is forgiven by fickle Iowa fans and their hopes get up for a shit bowl. No, let it burn so it can be rebuilt. I hope the hell Northwestern wins.
I hate to say it, but I think you are right....although I can't agree with the last sentence. ;)

It hasn't happened because KF doesn't want his grandchildren moving away from Iowa City.
This is something I hadn’t even thought about, but consciously or unconsciously I bet it does indeed play a part. We forget the transient lifestyle most coaches have to endure rising through the ranks. I’m sure KF was hoping for his son to take over the program but also it does indeed keep his extended family close too while avoiding all the city/program hopping - something that on a personal level is relatable but on a professional level is absolutely the issue with nepotism.

Fine...but what will that solve? Absolutely nothing....except maybe piss off Ferments to the point where he walks off. What am I thinking.....that prick loves money too much....so does Mary.

Don’t you think we can get a better OC than Brian?

Two things we already knew were hammered home during Ohio State's 54-10 dismantling of Iowa in Columbus on Saturday.
  1. First, the Buckeyes are pretty darn good on both sides of the ball, even when they don't play their best game.
  2. Second, Iowa offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz needs to be fired, and it's puzzling why it hasn't already happened.
    While the Buckeyes have been tremendously improved on defense under first-year coordinator Jim Knowles, Iowa was pathetic on offense, no matter who played quarterback. Despite a scoop-and-score touchdown by the Hawkeyes, they didn't do anything else on the scoreboard aside from a field goal.
    While Ohio State wasn't as explosive as we're used to seeing against Iowa's normally stingy secondary, the Buckeyes were plenty good enough to continue looking like the Big Ten's best team and one of the top teams in the nation.
    The Buckeyes defense proved Ferentz's continued employment looks like the product of nepotism under his father and head coach Kirk Ferentz. The Hawkeyes were 1-of-13 on third-down conversions, mustered just 158 total yards and turned the ball over six times.

Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud wound up getting his, too, finishing with 286 passing yards and four touchdowns. It was a largely uneven performance for the junior star signal-caller, who threw an interception, misfired on a few balls early and had a fumble returned for a touchdown.
    But he proved he's one of the nation's top playmakers, dissecting Iowa throughout the second half on his way to putting up quality numbers in a runaway win. The Buckeyes just keep marching onward ahead of next week's big battle with Penn State in Happy Valley”
Stroud is VERY good. He made some great throws into very tight windows. Iowa's pass coverage was good considering the level of receivers OSU has. I feel bad for the kids on the defensive side of the ball. The score makes it look like they were bad. Far from it. I came away from that game with even more admiration.

I didn't see a single response in this thread that identified the true source of Iowa's offensive woes: KF himself. His offenses were acceptable a few years during the early years of his reign when KOK was OC. That fell off dramatically from 2005 onward and KOK gave way to GDGD. Things got worse for five years, then we got BF and things got worse yet.
The constant in all this is KF himself. He dictates the offense. Teams figured out how to shut down the zone-stretch running scheme a decade ago or more. Iowa's inability to recruit, develop, and retain skill-position players has throttled the offense throughout his tenure. Defenses attack the LOS nearly every play because they have zero fear of a skill player beating them in space.
KF is going to retire someday. The program will go on without him at some point. The brilliant contract extension ensured at least three more years of this shitshow unless he gets tired of the criticism and retires on his own.

Like he laid off that Kintner boy back in 1975? Is that what you are saying?
giphy.gif

I can’t think of any way in which Brian stays as o-coordinator. My guess is that Barnett ‘finds’ another position elsewhere and Brian returns to the oline. Or he takes a position in the NFL. I would be shocked if the Ferentz’s aren’t actively working on an exit strategy.

So, that means Kirk will hire a new o-coordinator but the philosophy will not change. Want another experienced coordinator like Greg Davis? Fans couldn’t wait for him to leave. As long as Kirk is the head coach, the offense won’t change.

Don’t you think we can get a better OC than Brian?
I think Rick Neuheisel would be great! Good offensive mind.I think he would jump at the chance to make 800k a year or whatever brian is making. I have listened to him for years on Sirius XM radio he knows what hes doing. I know he didn't cut it as a head coach but I think he would be a good offensive coordinator.

Last edited:
I think Rick Neuheisel would be great! Good offensive mind.I think he would jump at the chance to make 800k a year or whatever brian is making. I have listened to him for years on Sirius XM radio he knows what hes doing. I know I didn't cut it as a head coach but I think he would be a good offensive coordinator
I like Neuheisel, but you think he's jumping back in the college game to be an OC? LOL. On top of this, Neuheisel has probably been as critical of Iowa's offense this fall nationally as any singular person. Hardly a show of his goes by without him taking a jab at Iowa's offense. He's called out both Brian and Kirk by name countless times now. Highly doubt Kirk and Rick exchange Christmas cards this year; or ever.

On a side note, and this I found interesting though years in the past now, but Neuheisel mentioned this past week he turned down the Notre Dame job when he was at Washington-- they ultimately gave it to Tyrone Willingham.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
I like Neuheisel, but you think he's jumping back in the college game to be an OC? LOL. On top of this, Neuheisel has probably been as critical of Iowa's offense this fall nationally as any singular person. Hardly a show of his goes by without him taking a jab at Iowa's offense. He's called out both Brian and Kirk by name countless times now.

On a side note, and this I found interesting though years in the past now, but Neuheisel mentioned this past week he turned down the Notre Dame job when he was at Washington-- they ultimately gave it to Tyrone Willingham.
I get everything you're saying And you're right he has torched Brian and Kirk repeatedly but I still think he'd be great oc at Iowa jmo. But I also think that Kirk has to let somebody come in and run their own offense Kirk has to stay out of it or this will never change. I mean some of us thought Greg Davis was a splash ire I mean he won a national championship for s*** sakes We see how that worked out.

I get everything you're saying And you're right he has torched Brian and Kirk repeatedly but I still think he'd be great oc at Iowa jmo. But I also think that Kirk has to let somebody come in and run their own offense Kirk has to stay out of it or this will never change.
Do not disagree one bit on your premise of what I'd also like see happening. I can think of countless coaches I'd love coming in to run the offense if Kirk just handed them the reins. But reality is that's not what a 67-year old HC whose been here 24 years as the HC is going to do at this stage.

Reactions: Wadzinator
The OL coach needs fired too. That is the worst OL I have ever seen, anywhere.

Agree. but it its the lack of improvement during the course of the year that would be the big factor in the termination. They aren't getting any better. Now...maybe it's because they don't have the talent to improve but these guys weren't rated that poorly as recruits. This is about the lack of development-physical improvement and technique/coaching. Unless there is a change in recruiting philosophy (using the portal) we are looking at a 3 year window of crap on the oline...the fact that they needed to pull a dline guy over to the oline and he immediately starts is telling...this is a roster management issue and it rests at the feet of the man at the top.

everyone who actually feels this way has no appreciation for what these players go though to play the game. it’s evidently more important for you all to feed your own egos. appears you are only hawk fans when it suits your purpose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT