ADVERTISEMENT

This team is still alive for the Dance

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Reactions: QChawks
They still have a tough schedule. If it comes down to having to beat the Illini, that will be difficult. Illii lot better than the MSU team. Freeman has to play a little less aggressive and the refs need to quit sucking.
We don’t need to beat Illinois, but that would be nice. Beat Nortwestern and PSU, plus 1-2,in the BTT and we have a shot.

Fouls, of course. Fran even let him play with a 3rd quick foul to open the 2nd half. He got the 4th within a minute and didn’t play again until the final two minutes.
yes, but Owen still ended up with 8 points! The young man is good. Iowa needs to tie his hands to his body and to heck with getting blocks.....just kidding.

Fouls, of course. Fran even let him play with a 3rd quick foul to open the 2nd half. He got the 4th within a minute and didn’t play again until the final two minutes.
That third foul was awful by Owen, the first one was dumb too. He's got to make better decisions.

Sorry, not believing yet. Iowa has had much better teams not make the tourney. Only 2 B1G teams in the top 25, which means the conference is way down.

Same here.
At the end of the day, I'm pretty sure BG knows that the only measures for success in MBB are NCAA tourney success and regular season titles or co-titles etc. I've always thought winning the BTT was worthless and a net negative for Iowa in the NCAAT which means in the things that matter in 2024, Fran has not really accomplished anything in his 12 years. I saw where Fran said he's not retiring. If he doesn't check one of the above boxes in the next couple of years, his hand will be forced. Having said that I am liking this years team and think maybe he's found a winning formula. We haven't been "tough" very often under Fran. Krikke was a monster last night.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
NET should be mid 50s after this. 2 quad 1 wins now. We can beat Illinois at home.

Net rankings updated, Iowa is 62. Teams have made it before with that number, but usually they have a good record in Q1 games. Iowa will definitely have opportunities (3 of the last 4 are) and I think Iowa needs to go 3-1 to at least have a shot.

At the end of the day, I'm pretty sure BG knows that the only measures for success in MBB are NCAA tourney success and regular season titles or co-titles etc. I've always thought winning the BTT was worthless and a net negative for Iowa in the NCAAT which means in the things that matter in 2024, Fran has not really accomplished anything in his 12 years. I saw where Fran said he's not retiring. If he doesn't check one of the above boxes in the next couple of years, his hand will be forced. Having said that I am liking this years team and think maybe he's found a winning formula. We haven't been "tough" very often under Fran. Krikke was a monster last night.
BTT champ = automatic bid to NCAA. It means something.

Defense is still poor. Perkins cheats the passing lanes and Freeman gets himself out of position and into fouls (Granted he is a Freshman). They sometimes have success in zones. They still give up way too many layups and open 3's.

I actually don't think these losses matter that much. The problem with Iowa's resume is that lack of quad 1 wins. They would need more quad 1 wins even if they won those games.
Agreed. Just two Q1 wins right now, which is pretty light. Plenty more opportunities coming, though.

Last edited:
Defense is still poor. Perkins cheats the passing lanes and Freeman gets himself out of position and into fouls (Granted he is a Freshman). They sometimes have success in zones. They still give up way too many layups and open 3's.

The open 3's are the killer. You can win regular season games when the other team isn't making the 3's, but once you get into the NCAA tourney, in round 1 or 2 you're going to have a team that will be making their 3's. That's why it's hard to get to the sweet 16 when allowing teams to have open 3's.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT