ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from an old FB coach: Week 1

Drinkin Buddy

All-Conference
Nov 5, 2015
Hiawatha
  • Opponent. Really smart defensive gameplan by Brock Spack and his staff throughout the first half of the game. Excellent disguises and aggression. Brock has been around for a long time with big time respect and familiarity with Iowa, and smartly landed his poison to pick in the first game of the year....at least for the first half. He was going into a game with a first year OC and a completely different system and threw everything at them up front...knowing full well that Iowa would be working on getting its footing. There were 8, 9 and sometimes a creeping 10th player in the box. Brock was just doing math out there, knowing that Iowa's greatest vulnerabilities would be early. I've got a ton of respect for him, and he played his dealt hand as best as he could have. For as long as he could have (1st half).
  • 34:48. True to his word, and in alignment with Kirk's approach, Tim Lester crushed to time of possession battle. It brings Iowa back to Iowa football. Last year Iowa's season long stat for TOP was 28:33, which in the broad scope of things allowed Iowa's opponents to out-Iowa Iowa. Playing keep away is a key component to Iowa's success, and they passed the first test. And, albeit against an inferior opponent, it does tell you that Tim's philosophy and game day approach absolutely compliments the bigger mission.
  • +3. Turnover margin. I believe that last year Iowa was -4 for the season in TO margin, which is unheard of in these parts. In the 4 losses from 2023 Iowa was -13 in turnover margin, as in 13 lost, 0 gained. The combined coaching emphasis on defensive takeaways as well as offensive ball security played out well. I know it's game 1, but there is hope that a positive trend is developing and can continue as the weeks fly by. Watching at field level as well as a DVR review afterwards, you can absolutely feel the coaching emphasis on this and that the players have completely bought in.
  • TEs. The good news is that Iowa has three good to great ones. The better news is that Lester REALLY knows how to use them. By that I mean not only to block and/or get open, but also to work as a decoy in order to help the young receivers get open in space. Everyone knows that Iowa's greatest receiving threats in the recent past have been the TEs, and with that knowledge there is special attention paid to them. Everyone also knows that Iowa's receiver group is young and unproven. Lester used the TEs to draw unnecessary coverage and help open up the WRs. I anticipate that he will adapt and adopt a variation of this approach game-to-game, and quarter-to quarter, but it was really refreshing to see this concept on Duke Slater Field @ Kinnick Stadium.
  • D. Iowa has one of the best (Top 3) defenses in the country. Their communication and physicality is working toward being off the chart. If you pull back and look at the defensive game wholistically, Illinois State basically ran out of plays to run in the mid- to late 2nd quarter. Simply, nothing was available to them which would provide a real positive result; there was a lot of going through the motions during the latter half of their offensive game. Again, it was an outmanned team, and at some point Brock has to think about getting ready for Week 2. I hated all of the injuries they suffered and hope they are healing up quickly. Iowa's defense plays fiercely...they know where to be as well as when and how to get there. It's nasty.

Parting thoughts...

I've read a post on this board that highlighted Iowa being #40 in overall offense and #50 in scoring offense. Again, it's early. But I've also read many posts and articles in the past just dreaming and salivating for some sort of competent offensive production to marry outstanding defense and special teams. It's early, but the trend line has started. Having been in the coaching biz for a bit, I can tell you that if I was offered a job that inherently gave me a top ranked defense alongside of a decent offense...I couldn't sign the contract fast enough. What everyone has been asking for is starting to take shape. It's interesting to listen to and read all of the analysts and experts (no accountability) either downplay or bypass. Maybe think through more of what you've seen.

As for the Iowa State game...they are down 4 linebackers, including their starting MLB. And they run a 3-5-3, which is completely reliant upon strong LB play. I have a ton of respect for Jim Heacock, and think he's one of the best in the business, but he is going to attempt to ready #2, #3, and #4 guys for a real opponent on the road. Nothing wrong with being a second, third or fourth stringer as they will have their best success in run fits in short spurts. But those are ST players who cover kicks...not TEs, WRs or RBs. That's a different game. No idea what the score will end up, but I have a great idea of what the outcome will. I expect it tight early on with a bunch of new looks, because Heacock is really f'n good, but as things settle in there will be exposure.

All good.

• Opponent. Really smart defensive gameplan by Brock Spack and his staff throughout the first half of the game. Excellent disguises and aggression. Brock has been around for a long time with big time respect and familiarity with Iowa, and smartly landed his poison to pick in the first game of the year....at least for the first half. He was going into a game with a first year OC and a completely different system and threw everything at them up front...knowing full well that Iowa would be working on getting its footing. There were 8, 9 and sometimes a creeping 10th player in the box. Brock was just doing math out there, knowing that Iowa's greatest vulnerabilities would be early. I've got a ton of respect for him, and he played his dealt hand as best as he could have. For as long as he could have (1st half).
  • 34:48. True to his word, and in alignment with Kirk's approach, Tim Lester crushed to time of possession battle. It brings Iowa back to Iowa football. Last year Iowa's season long stat for TOP was 28:33, which in the broad scope of things allowed Iowa's opponents to out-Iowa Iowa. Playing keep away is a key component to Iowa's success, and they passed the first test. And, albeit against an inferior opponent, it does tell you that Tim's philosophy and game day approach absolutely compliments the bigger mission.
  • +3. Turnover margin. I believe that last year Iowa was -4 for the season in TO margin, which is unheard of in these parts. In the 4 losses from 2023 Iowa was -13 in turnover margin, as in 13 lost, 0 gained. The combined coaching emphasis on defensive takeaways as well as offensive ball security played out well. I know it's game 1, but there is hope that a positive trend is developing and can continue as the weeks fly by. Watching at field level as well as a DVR review afterwards, you can absolutely feel the coaching emphasis on this and that the players have completely bought in.
  • TEs. The good news is that Iowa has three good to great ones. The better news is that Lester REALLY knows how to use them. By that I mean not only to block and/or get open, but also to work as a decoy in order to help the young receivers get open in space. Everyone knows that Iowa's greatest receiving threats in the recent past have been the TEs, and with that knowledge there is special attention paid to them. Everyone also knows that Iowa's receiver group is young and unproven. Lester used the TEs to draw unnecessary coverage and help open up the WRs. I anticipate that he will adapt and adopt a variation of this approach game-to-game, and quarter-to quarter, but it was really refreshing to see this concept on Duke Slater Field @ Kinnick Stadium.
  • D. Iowa has one of the best (Top 3) defenses in the country. Their communication and physicality is working toward being off the chart. If you pull back and look at the defensive game wholistically, Illinois State basically ran out of plays to run in the mid- to late 2nd quarter. Simply, nothing was available to them which would provide a real positive result; there was a lot of going through the motions during the latter half of their offensive game. Again, it was an outmanned team, and at some point Brock has to think about getting ready for Week 2. I hated all of the injuries they suffered and hope they are healing up quickly. Iowa's defense plays fiercely...they know where to be as well as when and how to get there. It's nasty.

Parting thoughts...

I've read a post on this board that highlighted Iowa being #40 in overall offense and #50 in scoring offense. Again, it's early. But I've also read many posts and articles in the past just dreaming and salivating for some sort of competent offensive production to marry outstanding defense and special teams. It's early, but the trend line has started. Having been in the coaching biz for a bit, I can tell you that if I was offered a job that inherently gave me a top ranked defense alongside of a decent offense...I couldn't sign the contract fast enough. What everyone has been asking for is starting to take shape. It's interesting to listen to and read all of the analysts and experts (no accountability) either downplay or bypass. Maybe think through more of what you've seen.

As for the Iowa State game...they are down 4 linebackers, including their starting MLB. And they run a 3-5-3, which is completely reliant upon strong LB play. I have a ton of respect for Jim Heacock, and think he's one of the best in the business, but he is going to attempt to ready #2, #3, and #4 guys for a real opponent on the road. Nothing wrong with being a second, third or fourth stringer as they will have their best success in run fits in short spurts. But those are ST players who cover kicks...not TEs, WRs or RBs. That's a different game. No idea what the score will end up, but I have a great idea of what the outcome will. I expect it tight early on with a bunch of new looks, because Heacock is really f'n good, but as things settle in there will be exposure.

All good.
So if I'm reading this correctly, it will be Iowa 40-0 again this week?

Parting thoughts...

All good.
Much appreciate your percipient analysis, DrinkinBuddy. Wish we had a coach like you when I was in high school, but that is a whole 'nother story, and I will not go there.

so, what happened and when with the other three linebackers? I had heard that their stud was out after last week.

Much appreciate your percipient analysis, DrinkinBuddy. Wish we had a coach like you when I was in high school, but that is a whole 'nother story, and I will not go there.

so, what happened and when with the other three linebackers? I had heard that their stud was out after last week.
Thank you for the kind words.

I don't follow ISU closely, but through periphery I understand that three productive LBs were lost prior to the beginning of camp (portal, transfer, whatever) and then, unfortunately, they lost their stud MLB Bacon early in the ND game. It doesn't sound good for that young man for this season.

The impact of those loses is quite impactful over the course of the season. You can band aid it for a bit, but not too terribly long. And there are 11 games left on the schedule.

If you look at Iowa's roster, I believe they have 18 LBs listed. Many are well built, but shorter, athletic kids who are mostly walk-ons and play special teams. Same with ISU in their roster construct.

And that is where their problem lies.

These deep roster LBs, in most cases, are simply underdeveloped to handle the stresses and strains of a big-time game. They haven't had the reps, and Iowa is going to put grown ass men (OL) with a collective 155 starts in front of them, for three hours.

Do the math.

I don't follow ISU closely, but through periphery I understand that three productive LBs were lost prior to the beginning of camp (portal, transfer, whatever) and then, unfortunately, they lost their stud MLB Bacon early in the ND game. It doesn't sound good for that young man for this season.

The impact of those loses is quite impactful over the course of the season. You can band aid it for a bit, but not too terribly long. And there are 11 games left on the schedule.

If you look at Iowa's roster, I believe they have 18 LBs listed. Many are well built, but shorter, athletic kids who are mostly walk-ons and play special teams. Same with ISU in their roster construct.

These deep roster LBs, in most cases, are simply underdeveloped to handle the stresses and strains of a big-time game. They haven't had the reps, and Iowa is going to put grown ass men (OL) with a collective 155 starts in front of them, for three hours.

Do the math.
If that's the case with the linebackers, then the special teams also have to dig deeper. Just wondering about what kind of day Wetjen may have.

Reactions: Drinkin Buddy

Parting thoughts...

All good.
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

I always enjoy reading your thoughts. They always come across fair, competent, and unbiased. I was the one who posted that thread about our offensive ranking, but it was more tongue in cheek than anything. Wanted to enjoy that ranking while it lasts! I have high hopes for Lester, he seems like a very smart and down to Earth guy. I think now that he has actual game footage of the guys he's been working with for 8 months, he'll have a much better idea of what to work on and what to call in future games. All Lester has really needed is time. And as the weeks go by, I'm beginning to think our offense will only continue to improve.

Hope you can continue to post your thoughts every week! (much better than any of IowasLaw that's for sure)

Do the math.
How refreshing is it to finally have a real OC?

Parting thoughts...

All good.
Good points.

I believe ISU plays a 3-3-5 defense, not 3-5-3.

Exactly why I expect them to keep the same line up at RB. The worst thing for a LB heavy defense is a big back that likes to try and run people over. Once you slow the LB's down, a 3 man front is way easier to attack. Not to mention they are a step slower on any type of blitz they might try and that is where 3 man front defenses app;y pressure from. (As you said, having a 300 pound OL wear on you as well as a big back that tries to run through you tends to stress a 3 man front defense. Maybe not in the first quarter, but it is only a matter of time.) I mean it is not rocket science, if a defense is going to be LB heavy and try to disguise blitz's and such, the best thing you can do is take away or slow down their bread and butter or the strength of their defense. If ISU is already thin at the LB position, it is going to be a long day for that group. (again as you pointed out, if you are going to run a 3 man front. you had better be extra deep at LB)

Last edited:
Thank you.

It's a 3 high defense.

They have a LEO, WLB, SLB, MLB and MS (Fryeler).

That's a 3*5*3.

Good news for Iowa is that they faced a 3-man front and similar middle and back concepts last week, so the players have an idea of what to expect.

All good.
Last year some of our OL guys looked lost at times, not sure who to block. Does the ISU alignment with only 3 down bring that back into play? Is it tougher for an OL to identify his assignment?

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks.

Last year some of our OL guys looked lost at times, not sure who to block. Does the ISU alignment with only 3 down bring that back into play? Is it tougher for an OL to identify his assignment?

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks.
Last year OL play was just a consistent discombobulation for a variety of reasons. The '24 OL is far more settled in at this point, and having the threat of an actual passing attack absolutely helps them up front. The '23 OL was really outmanned in a lot of ways.

I have a hunch we will see more 4-man front from ISU this weekend. They need much better gap control than they had vs North Dakota (174 yards rushing) and take some pressure off the thin LB corps. Iowa is going to do their best to pound it right at them.

As an aside, in terms of motions, Iowa showed little to nothing this Saturday of what it has been working on, based on what I've seen at the few practices I've been to, including the coaches clinic. It was very vanilla. That won't be the case this weekend as they'll most likely break more of it out for the first time in public. There will be some disconcerted cardinal and gold eyes out there.

All good.

Last year OL play was just a consistent discombobulation for a variety of reasons. The '24 OL is far more settled in at this point, and having the threat of an actual passing attack absolutely helps them up front. The '23 OL was really outmanned in a lot of ways.

I have a hunch we will see more 4-man front from ISU this weekend. They need much better gap control than they had vs North Dakota (174 yards rushing) and take some pressure off the thin LB corps. Iowa is going to do their best to pound it right at them.

As an aside, in terms of motions, Iowa showed little to nothing this Saturday of what it has been working on, based on what I've seen at the few practices I've been to, including the coaches clinic. It was very vanilla. That won't be the case this weekend as they'll most likely break more of it out for the first time in public. There will be some disconcerted cardinal and gold eyes out there.

All good.
Agree, where was all that motion we heard about all off season. Likely just saving it.

Illinois State also runs a 3 man front....although it's more of a traditional 3-4, than Iowa State's 3-3-5/3-5-3 look. But in the past under BF, we've always had difficulty against the odd front (for a variety of reasons), so I was super pleased to see us have success against a 3 man front on Sat....even if it was an FCS opponent. The other thing I was pleased with is even though they were crashing that weakside backer against us constantly, we really didn't have a lot of negative rushing plays like we'd have in the past....instead, they were 2-3 yd gains, rather than 2-3 yard losses.

All good.
For whatever reason Brian struggled consistently against teams with 3 man fronts; he never knew how to attack that. Which was always weird to me for him as a former center. That should have been the easy part!

I did witness Beth G and Fran McCaffrey walking the sideline pregame and they had a bit of a hug fest. So Fran and her must be on pretty good terms as of yet.

Illinois State also runs a 3 man front....although it's more of a traditional 3-4, than Iowa State's 3-3-5/3-5-3 look. But in the past under BF, we've always had difficulty against the odd front (for a variety of reasons), so I was super pleased to see us have success against a 3 man front on Sat....even if it was an FCS opponent. The other thing I was pleased with is even though they were crashing that weakside backer against us constantly, we really didn't have a lot of negative rushing plays like we'd have in the past....instead, they were 2-3 yd gains, rather than 2-3 yard losses.
You bring up excellent points.

The one offensive rule change that Iowa struggled with the most was redefining the cut block. It was a staple of their OL play, and they tried to continue with that concept through all of the rule change ambiguity until they finally and unwillingly had to give up on it and change. I think GB along with TL have helped them move beyond it and think differently. KF has bought in as well, and I think there is better engagement and push up front.

The other thing you will most likely see is a reduction on the crashing ends or mids into Iowa. It will still happen by strategy and design, but less frequently. It's easy to dial it up when the formation is static like Iowa's has been the many past years. It's quite a different proposition when Iowa starts to more heavily deploy trades, shifts and motions during pre-snap. Defenders have to read it and quickly decide if they change from A gap to B gap responsibility or if they take a blitz off, change coverage, for example. Processing and communication is at a premium. Iowa is blessed to have great TEs, and the one thing about that group is that they typically are great blockers along with having good pass catching abilities; so, when you move them are you moving a pass catcher or a blocker? Puts the defense on the defensive, because it only takes one guy to screw up for the offense to pop an explosive play. These things challenge/stress the defensive players football IQs, in real time.

It's going to be fun to watch this evolve.

All good.

Parting thoughts...

All good.
Good stuff! Thanks for the contributions!

they lost their stud MLB Bacon early in the ND game. It doesn't sound good for that young man for this season.
That's a shame. By all accounts, that Bacon kid is a good one, on and off the field.

Are we expecting Johnson to start now? I'd guess so, but I kind of liked that we built up body blows in the first half then spring the stud in the second.

For whatever reason Brian struggled consistently against teams with 3 man fronts; he never knew how to attack that. Which was always weird to me for him as a former center. That should have been the easy part!
I think you really have to consider the state of the OL room ( for various reasons) for several years now and add that into context. A big part of being an OL is footwork and leverage and just because you big, does not matter, the only way you learn those 2 things is practice. Which is why freshman rarely start on the OL and why injuries slow progress.

That's a shame. By all accounts, that Bacon kid is a good one, on and off the field.

Are we expecting Johnson to start now? I'd guess so, but I kind of liked that we built up body blows in the first half then spring the stud in the second.
Kaleb is now up to RB2 on the depth chart. My guess is Kamari still starts since he earned it in camp, but Kaleb will obviously get more 1st half carries (assuming he doesn't get himself suspended again!)....

It's terrible. Hate to see any young man have to go through that. The physical pain is the easy part. The emotional and mental strain will be really rough as he works to come back, but he will do it the right way and come back a better and stronger player and person. Seems like a really great kid so have a lot of confidence he'll be back and better.

Kaleb is a bit of an enigma. He flashes brilliantly at times, and then other times he disappears. Being objective, he entered the game fresh in the second half against a pretty tired/outmanned defense. I don't take anything away from his performance, because it was really, really solid; but he's the kind of guy you wait on a bit to see if he can become a dude, if you know what I mean. It's there inside of him, but I think everyone is working with him and hoping he can bring out his inner-dude every game. You want that dude in the sunshine all the time. Players that flash are wonderfully frustrating. Time will tell, and hopefully it all clicks for him. Soon. Because he can be a real difference maker.

Kaleb is now up to RB2 on the depth chart. My guess is Kamari still starts since he earned it in camp, but Kaleb will obviously get more 1st half carries (assuming he doesn't get himself suspended again!)....
Like I said, they could be on to something if they stick with grinding on teams with Moulton and Williams, while giving KJ a few carries in the 1st half, then allowing him to break out in the 2nd half when teams are starting to wear down.

The one X factor here is how they also utilize Jaz Patterson going forward. We all knew that Iowa was gonna have a crowded backfield going unto 2024, but we legitimately are 4 deep at RB and can feel confident about any one of those guys being serviceable at worst.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT