ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Fant/Fidone Workout(s)

And based off the current trend I don't see this changing anytime soon. Iowa i believe now has more NFL players than Nebraska. Certainly have more notable ones

According to ESPN, Iowa has 31; Nebraska 21.

I don't know if those include practice squad players. Certainly, Iowa has more starters and pro bowlers regardless. And Wirfs is coming in as Yanda exits.

Also, it's worth noting the most recognizable names for Nebraska are two of the biggest scum bags in the NFL: Suh and Incognito. Both are perfect representations of Nebraska.

And that is why we’re seeing more versatile recruits being signed over the past few years. It just gives you options to fill out the roster and depth chart in a way that maximizes recruits abilities to play early and show.

If I’m Fidone and I’m doing my pro/con list here’s what it looks like:
Neb Pro: Close to family, childhood favorite, open depth chart, potential to rise
Neb Con: Losing program, questionable coaching, TE not a premium position (~4 touches less per game), poor history placing TE in the NFL.

Iowa Pro: Stable family atmosphere, solid coaching (BF position coach), TE premium position, If you make the depth chart TE1/TE2 you’re almost assured of going to the NFL. TE U (Fant, Hock, Kittle...), Doyle maximizes physical output.
Iowa Con: Distance, competitive depth chart (TE3/4 to start)

I mean when T.Fidone lands in Iowa City athletically he’s probably as or more gifted than ALL of our TEs on roster. Obviously there’s a huge mental and competitive component that plays into it as well, but I can see his time on campus playing out like this (and I don’t think this is any stretch):

2021: Shows early in Jan, in great shape, on the depth chart behind everybody. In the first couple weeks of practice he soldifies that he’s just more gifted than FR* Lachey and on par with SO* Miamen — but behind SO Yelverton and JR LaPorta. So that puts him at TE 3/4. He splits reps with Miamen. Laporta catches 35 passes, Yelverton 15, Miamen and FR Fidone catch 5 each. That’s more TE output than 2019, but less than 2018.

2022: Hard work pays off over the offseason as JR LaPorta along with RB Goodson declare [EARLY] for the NFL Draft. Now, as a SO Fidone is battling to keep his position over JR Miamen and working towards JR Yelverton’s top spot. The coaches elect to play 2 TEs primarily knowing that the running game will be in development. Production jumps this year — it looks like a Fant, Hockenson year. Yelverton 38 receptions, Fidone 32 receptions.

2023: JR Fidone overtakes the top spot on the depth chart. He plays the TEY due to his physicality. He’s completely Doylized at this point. 6’5” 245 owns the squat record at TE, comes in as a second team preseason All-American. Destroys it in his junior year 45 catches, 800 yard, 6 TDs. Physically dominant in the run game. “Better than Hockenson” is the NFL Draft consensus. “And with the 6th overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft the Washington Redskins select [EARLY], Thomas Fidone, TE, Iowa.”

Welcome to the family.

I am sure we all would be ecstatic if Fidone chose Iowa. I believe Colby, Bowie, Brecht and Llewellyn all grew up Iowa fans and get to follow their dreams to Iowa City. Fidone was born in Nebraska, raised in Tekamah (until 13 or 14) and Nebraska appears to be where his heart is. If the young man is as good as advertised, works hard and puts his time in the weight room and builds himself up he will end up being a solid performer on Saturdays and probably end up making millions on Sundays whether he goes to Lincoln, Baton Rouge or Iowa City---it won't matter. Believe it or not, there are over 1600 active players on NFL rosters who did not go to Iowa as well as 95% of the TEs in the league!

whether he goes to Lincoln, Baton Rouge or Iowa City---it won't matter.
I disagree. Coaching and training matters to most high school kids who want to get paid to play football in a few years. We know, for sure, that he will get world class training as a TE at Iowa and we know that Iowa showcases his position in our offense. We also know that professional teams take a hard look at every TE that comes from our program. He will get noticed and have an opportunity to be a pro at Iowa. No one does it better at his position. When you have millions of dollars on the line, and you have real potential, like Fidone does, why risk it going anywhere else? Because of childhood fandom and allegiances? It's quite a risk to take because you cheered for a team growing up.

I am sure we all would be ecstatic if Fidone chose Iowa. I believe Colby, Bowie, Brecht and Llewellyn all grew up Iowa fans and get to follow their dreams to Iowa City. Fidone was born in Nebraska, raised in Tekamah (until 13 or 14) and Nebraska appears to be where his heart is. If the young man is as good as advertised, works hard and puts his time in the weight room and builds himself up he will end up being a solid performer on Saturdays and probably end up making millions on Sundays whether he goes to Lincoln, Baton Rouge or Iowa City---it won't matter. Believe it or not, there are over 1600 active players on NFL rosters who did not go to Iowa as well as 95% of the TEs in the league!
99% of the college athletes will will put in the time at the weight room, film study, and practice. A few will live out their dream in the NFL at the TE position. Evidence will support the argument that Iowa gives these college TEs (not limiting Iowa’s success to just TEs) a greater success rate making it into the NFL. NE and LSU may get him to the NFL as well, but do you want to that lower % gamble when it comes to your future?

I thought Hickman looked like a really good TE and he choose NE. He is now converting to a WR in order to block for the WR swing pass (again my point of view). Little chance he goes to the NFL as a WR. Did Frost just hurt this kid’s future outlook so he might win an extra game or 2?

Reactions: FlickLikesBBC
Like the others, I also disagree. In the grand scheme of things, very few guys make it to the NFL.

Not all programs excel at molding and developing young players. And since we're talking about the TE position specifically, not all programs know or care to work this position into the offense to effectively get them the stats to justify an NFL organization to start taking a good hard look.

He absolutely does NOT have as good a chance at the NFL regardless of his choosing of LSU, Nebraska, or Iowa. Especially not Nebraska.

I wouldn't doubt if Hickman deeply regrets his decision to sign with that program.

Based upon the quasi-logic of the previous 3 posts then Brecht is making a big mistake by going to Iowa because the Hawks don't necessarily showcase WRs and don't have any in the NFL. Then your quasi-logic is he should have gone to Ames because the Clowns have 2 recent WRs in the league.

many go to stincoln with talent and leave with nothing. Hard to succeed with a coach that likes to throw you under the bus....buses are heavy :)
Based upon the quasi-logic of the previous 3 posts then Brecht is making a big mistake by going to Iowa because the Hawks don't necessarily showcase WRs and don't have any in the NFL. Then your quasi-logic is he should have gone to Ames because the Clowns have 2 recent WRs in the league.
Have you not watched Iowa recently? Theyll have 1 if not 2 3* guys heading to the NFL next year from this wr group and possibly 1 or 2 more to follow. Oh and they do see the ball....

many go to stincoln with talent and leave with nothing. Hard to succeed with a coach that likes to throw you under the bus....buses are heavy :)

Have you not watched Iowa recently? Theyll have 1 if not 2 3* guys heading to the NFL next year from this wr group and possibly 1 or 2 more to follow. Oh and they do see the ball....
I am hoping you are right but pretty unlikely. Let's face the facts. During KF's tenure I am guessing that Kevin Kasper probably had the most successful NFL career. Has any other WR been drafted? So in 20 years, one WR had an OK career on Sundays. There is no doubt that Fidone would be better prepared for the NFL in Iowa City. But my point continues to be that if he is the stud athlete that he appears to be and works hard, he will be a stud in college and ultimately in the pros no matter where he goes to school.

Lazard didn't get drafted. Butler was a 4th round pick. Neither is really lighting it up. Not exactly a WR factory.

This is probably a moot point anyway. One of my best friends works at First Data Resources in Omaha for Fidone's uncle (Mom's side). 2-3 weeks ago he told my friend that his nephew was headed to Lincoln. We all know 16/17 year olds can change their minds a lot and Fidone apparently loves being in the limelight (why he hasn't committed) but the odds don't look good. Let's hope that the Noah Fant exposure and friendships with Logan Jones and Keagen Johnson (if he goes to Iowa) helps him change his mind.

I am hoping you are right but pretty unlikely. Let's face the facts. During KF's tenure I am guessing that Kevin Kasper probably had the most successful NFL career. Has any other WR been drafted? So in 20 years, one WR had an OK career on Sundays. There is no doubt that Fidone would be better prepared for the NFL in Iowa City. But my point continues to be that if he is the stud athlete that he appears to be and works hard, he will be a stud in college and ultimately in the pros no matter where he goes to school.
McNutt was drafted by Philly in the sixth round..he didn't amount to anything, but was drafted.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Lazard didn't get drafted. Butler was a 4th round pick. Neither is really lighting it up. Not exactly a WR factory.

I don't follow the Packers, but I thought Lazard was getting some ticks for them. Didn't he catch a TD in the playoffs?

As I said, the Clowns have 2 WRs in the league. Hockenson (injury) and Fant haven't exactly lit things up either in their rookie years. They have both shown glimpses of what is hopefully yet to come.

As I said, the Clowns have 2 WRs in the league. Hockenson (injury) and Fant haven't exactly lit things up either in their rookie years. They have both shown glimpses of what is hopefully yet to come.
Fant had a good first year. Both were 1st year tight ends. Lazard was an undrafted free agent and Butler has yet to record a stat in the NFL. We're grasping at straws here.

No kidding, as usual, TJFant is all over the place.

ISU has 1 WR drafted since 1985. We've had several QBs drafted over the same time and we don't hold ourselves out as a QB factory.

ISU fans act like Butler/Montgomery are all world for becoming 3rd and 4th round picks then rip on AJ for going in round 2.

There's a reason why Aaron Rodgers was crying for skill players this draft. Lazard isn't a good one.

Last edited:
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Fant came on strong at the end and put up good numbers. TJ was hurt and QB. This year they both take off book it

Based upon the quasi-logic of the previous 3 posts then Brecht is making a big mistake by going to Iowa because the Hawks don't necessarily showcase WRs and don't have any in the NFL. Then your quasi-logic is he should have gone to Ames because the Clowns have 2 recent WRs in the league.[/QUOTE
I find your argument laughable. Iowa developed 3 TEs, who were lightly recruited, and gave them a very promising career. Butler and Lazard came into college as highly touted recruits. Now they are considered below average WRs in the NFL. Iowa is a nationally respected TE developmental program. Are you claiming State has comparable respect for their development of WRs. I’m not sure why you appear to be reaching so much on this debate.?

Reactions: HawkinK.C.1

Butler was a 2 star @tick2266.

I have to be fair to both sides and you're spreading misinformation here.

Butler was hurt last year so hard to say he's below average when he hasn't had the opportunity.

Perhaps you should tell that to all the 4 and 5 star recruits that failed to make it into the league.

But my point continues to be that if he is the stud athlete that he appears to be and works hard, he will be a stud in college and ultimately in the pros no matter where he goes to school.
Not true. Lots of 4 star athletes don't have NFL careers. Fidone is not NFL ready. Coaching and development will matter. He can't make a poor choice for his future by going to Iowa...... Nebraska is much more of a roll of the dice.

Reactions: unclesammy
Come on now. Both were FIRST ROUND PICKS. That's the first time in history that 2 TEs were picked from the same team.

And George IS tearing it up. You are just being willfully ignorant.

Reactions: unclesammy
Let me try to clarify this again. My premise is that Fidone's future will be bright in college and the pros if he is the stud athlete he is hyped to be and puts forth the effort no matter where he goes to school. The ISU WR statement was only a response to those posters who seem to believe that if he doesn't go against his upbringing and youth allegiances and come to Iowa City that his career will be shortchanged. I in know way was comparing Fant, Hock and Kittle to Lazard and Butler in results or talent now or in the future. The ISU statement was alluding to the fact that a kid shouldn't go against his heart and go to a recruiting school simply because they had recent successes at the player's position.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Let me try to clarify this again. My premise is that Fidone's future will be bright in college and the pros if he is the stud athlete he is hyped to be and puts forth the effort no matter where he goes to school.
Yes, I think everyone understood the first time. Hopefully, by now, you realize that no one here is really agreeing with you........it's not that they don't understand your opinion.

Let me try to clarify this again. My premise is that Fidone's future will be bright in college and the pros if he is the stud athlete he is hyped to be and puts forth the effort no matter where he goes to school. The ISU WR statement was only a response to those posters who seem to believe that if he doesn't go against his upbringing and youth allegiances and come to Iowa City that his career will be shortchanged. I in know way was comparing Fant, Hock and Kittle to Lazard and Butler in results or talent now or in the future. The ISU statement was alluding to the fact that a kid shouldn't go against his heart and go to a recruiting school simply because they had recent successes at the player's position.
We are saying that Iowa has estabished success over many years of putting great TEs in the league. You cannot argue against that.

Reading comprehension is hard for you. Oh, and just off top of my head McNutt (a converted QB that became a fine WR for the Hawks).

My thoughts (cuz I know you all really care) are that Fidone is a 1st Rd talent and will most likely be drafted as such regardless ...however, going to Iowa would almost certainly get him picked top 15, where going to Nub probably only gets him anywhere between 25-40. Sizable gap in rookie contract $$.

This is based solely on the program he chooses and how the position is coveted, utilized and developed.

Brecht could be a great wr at Iowa, or he could morph from WR to TE like Hoch did and become a first round pick. Pretty much no one will say playing WR at ISU made Lazard a higher draft pick. Most people would say he could have been 1st quality TE at Iowa. Hoch & Fant both got signing bonuses bigger than Lazard and Butler make first 4 years of NFL.

If your math is correct, if the team that put 5% of the active TE's on NFL rosters wants me to play for them, that's sure as hell where I'd be playing! But I get your point... if he's that good, he'll end up in the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT