ADVERTISEMENT

Throw out who the politician is: How Badly Did the Secret Service Screw up?

“Hey boss, that building over there is the tallest structure in the area and the roof provides a clear line of sight to the stage. We should probably position one of our agents up there, right?”

853a173c-3160-4274-bebd-92007c373124_text.gif

Fine. It starts with a shit human.

And then you give them easy access to guns.
So we should treat every human like a little kid. Little tommy won’t behave so none of the kids are going on a field trip today.
Tommy doesn’t follow gun safety so we are taking away guns.
Little Tommy can’t drive worth a shot so no one else can drive.
Start treating the people that need help and stop fvcking over the normal people

I don’t know how someone gets that close with a rifle in the open to begin with.

And the investigation will dig this out, but how does it take that long for what the crowd is telling the police - there’s a guy with a rifle on the roof - to get to the response team?

Yes. Massively. I am a geologist, not an expert on security, but I do know in outdoor events for the president ALL roofs from with a shooting line are to be secured. And by secured I mean literally people on the roof. You pick a safe spot with not many roofs/windows in the first place and you secure the roofs.

This place literally only had one roof to secure and not only did they not secure it but they were not even able to secure it for what sounds like 2-3 minutes when locals were trying to tell police a guy with gun was crawling up.

IMHO the second big mistake is in the period where clearly it had got to the counter sniper team that there was a threat, nobody secured Trump before the shots. Some people froze in headlights unable to make the decision to whisk him away, afraid they would be in trouble if it was not a real threat.

I feel like the people who saw guy climbing roof are heroes because it gave the counter snipers just enough time to almost kill the guy instantly. If not for that, he would have got a lot more rounds off before they locked in on him.

Yes. Massively. I am a geologist, not an expert on security, but I do know in outdoor events for the president ALL roofs from with a shooting line are to be secured. And by secured I mean literally people on the roof. You pick a safe spot with not many roofs/windows in the first place and you secure the roofs.

This place literally only had one roof to secure and not only did they not secure it but they were not even able to secure it for what sounds like 2-3 minutes when locals were trying to tell police a guy with gun was crawling up.

IMHO the second big mistake is in the period where clearly it had got to the counter sniper team that there was a threat, nobody secured Trump before the shots. Some people froze in headlights unable to make the decision to whisk him away, afraid they would be in trouble if it was not a real threat.

I feel like the people who saw guy climbing roof are heroes because it gave the counter snipers just enough time to almost kill the guy instantly. If not for that, he would have got a lot more rounds off before they locked in on him.

Trump was looking right into the gun's sights

095feee0-41db-11ef-b74c-bb483a802c97.png.webp

I don't understand how this could happen, either.

I still find it crazy that the bullet hit him in the ear; so incredibly close to an assassination.
I don’t think it’s as hard to take someone out as much as many think it is. In SS detail, I’m sure there are vulnerabilities at most locations.

Reactions: TunzaHawk
I don’t think it’s as hard to take someone out as much as many think it is. In SS detail, I’m sure there are vulnerabilities at most locations.
The lengths they go for the President are really high.
I doubt you’d find much in the way of even fleeting opportunity, and basically none at any staged event.

I don’t think this event is even necessarily under staffed (witness said they were indictating to police where the shooter was, so they were around), just bad planning/positioning.

Reactions: Scott559
If there weren’t enough Secret Service assets to man every roof in line of sight they should be having deputies or local PD up there.
Person in charge of this site, and approving it, etc. all screwed up.
Maybe the secret service agent on roof was busy getting a hummer from a local prostitute.

If there weren’t enough Secret Service assets to man every roof in line of sight they should be having deputies or local PD up there.
Person in charge of this site, and approving it, etc. all screwed up.
In hindsight Trump burning local police on paying for hours worked probably wasn't a good idea.

Reactions: HawkMD
That certainly doesn’t help.

But yeah, the secret service were either incompetent or trying to do the world a favor.
It's a combination of things. Bad detail work, Trump selecting stupid locations, outside venues. Everybody, including Trump added to the laundry list of bad moves to make this possible.

Reactions: ericram
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT