ADVERTISEMENT

Tik Tok getting the ultimate ban hammer?

Let’s start with the basics.

1. Who owns a First Amendment claim? You or Tic Tok?
2. What is the reasoning Tic Tok might about to be regulated?

1. Tic Tok does. Corporations are people, after all (at least when it is convienent for them).
2. The government can't regulate speech. That's it. Tik Tok can regulate what content is on its platform, but the government can't, unless......

What I don't know is if that holds true for a company that isn't American. It is a Chinese company so maybe there are some other laws that give the government the power to regulate it differently than a homegrown business. Tik Tok would need to file a lawsuit in an American court I would think.

1. Tic Tok does. Corporations are people, after all (at least when it is convienent for them).
2. The government can't regulate speech. That's it. Tik Tok can regulate what content is on its platform, but the government can't, unless......

What I don't know is if that holds true for a company that isn't American. It is a Chinese company so maybe there are some other laws that give the government the power to regulate it differently than a homegrown business. Tik Tok would need to file a lawsuit in an American court I would think.

1. Correct.
2. “It is a Chinese company so maybe there are some other laws that give the government the power to regulate it differently than a homegrown business. Tik Tok would need to file a lawsuit in an American court I would think.”

Agreed. And I think they would.

Reactions: BioHawk
1. Correct.
2. “It is a Chinese company so maybe there are some other laws that give the government the power to regulate it differently than a homegrown business. Tik Tok would need to file a lawsuit in an American court I would think.”

Agreed. And I think they would.

If Tik Tok is a foreign company operating outside of the US they have no protection under the first amendment. The supreme court has made that clear in past rulings.

The US government being concerned about spying on our citizens reminds me of that scene from Animal House. “They can’t do that to our pledges...only WE can do that to our pledges.”

And the timing is suspicious as hell, just like with pretty much anything Trump decides to care about.

Reactions: Rudolph
If Tik Tok is a foreign company operating outside of the US they have no protection under the first amendment. The supreme court has made that clear in past rulings.

I don’t want to go down this hole because it gets complicated fast and it’s not my area, but foreign corporations enjoy Due Process Clause protection in the United States.

I"m actually not opposed. Military folks should also not be allowed to use it. Like I said earlier, i don't trust the Chinese govt.

I just want the notion debated on its merits instead of this knee reaction to fulcrum every decision on Trump.
I don’t trust the Chinese, but I don’t want the government banning software anymore than I want them banning books.
I can also support restrictions on what goes on Government phones/computers.
But where to draw that line? I don’t think I want the Feds to tell a state what apps they can use, but I’d support them sharing the reasons they don’t allow an app.

Leaving written instructions concerning who is to be excluded from attending your funeral is petty. I have only heard of one instance of this taking place in my entire life.

There are plenty of other examples of this sort of snotty entitled behavior from when he was alive. He was not exactly 100% polite to Presidents Bush or Obama either.

I stand by the remark.

Not a trump guy but tik tok is a blatant Chinese Trojan horse spy effort
This. There is a reason the app is banned from U.S. Government devices and many corporate devices.

If the app is so popular than one of our tech companies should release a US based equivalent.

India and Indonesia have already done this.

And no, this is not a freedom of speech issue. Freedom of the press is closer to the heart of the matter, but still fails to be considered "the press" imho.

This. There is a reason the app is banned from U.S. Government devices and many corporate devices.

If the app is so popular than one of our tech companies should release a US based equivalent.
Sounds like this is in the works with Microsoft

Tik Tok wouldn't even be on Trump's radar if it wasn't used by people to make fun of him. Period. He's a vengeful, pathetic little man.

Please.

It's a lot worse on FB and Twitter.

This is about national security you unhinged, triggered moron.

Please.

It's a lot worse on FB and Twitter.

This is about national security you unhinged, triggered moron.

It's the President who is an unhinged, triggered moron. What national security threat is there? I actually do agree that you could make an argument that there is. Of course, that would also mean there is a national security threat to every other form of social media as well. Trump would have to argue that Russian interference in 2016 through social media had a direct impact on the outcome of the election.

He's not going to do that.

I hope he tries this. The entire 14-35 year old demo will turn on the Republicans. If there is a weak chink in the cult, it would be the younger members. And they will quit. And Holy crap will they all bully him! The poor guy will feel even more unloved

I don’t want to go down this hole because it gets complicated fast and it’s not my area, but foreign corporations enjoy Due Process Clause protection in the United States.

Due Process lets you go down whatever hole you want.

It's the President who is an unhinged, triggered moron. What national security threat is there?

As others have pointed out, the TikTok app is a Trojan Horse that delivers data straight to the Chinese intelligence agency.

As others have pointed out, the TikTok app is a Trojan Horse that delivers data straight to the Chinese intelligence agency.

This accusation has been around for several years now. I figured the lack of action to stop them meant that the information they gathered was no different than other social media apps. Why wait until now to ban it?

By the way, something like this could set a precident to restrict other social media platforms. People may want to be careful about what they push for here.

This accusation has been around for several years now. I figured the lack of action to stop them meant that the information they gathered was no different than other social media apps. Why wait until now to ban it?

By the way, something like this could set a precident to restrict other social media platforms. People may want to be careful about what they push for here.

Again, India and other countries have already done this.

Why the hell do we need a Chinese video app?

We don't. We have plenty of ways to share videos that are not controlled by the Chinese government.

f439c0db64fa5cbcd48c76de91c70bed8e58d52d.jpg

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Again, India and other countries have already done this.

Why the hell do we need a Chinese video app?

We don't. We have plenty of ways to share videos that are not controlled by the Chinese government.

I don't disagree with you. It just seems odd that banning this only was put on the table after the app had already been out for 4 years. That would indicate that national security is not the actual reason he wants to do this.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
I don't disagree with you. It just seems odd that banning this only was put on the table after the app had already been out for 4 years. That would indicate that national security is not the actual reason he wants to do this.

And that it was alone in the proposed order.

Reactions: BioHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT