ADVERTISEMENT

Time: Donald Trump told his nephew, Fred, that Fred's disabled son should just die

Morrison71

HB Legend
Nov 10, 2006
When my uncle was elected President, I recognized what a highly privileged position I would be in. I would have some access to the White House. And as long as that was true, I wanted to make sure I used that access for something positive. I was eager to champion something my wife, Lisa, and I were deeply passionate about, something we lived every day: the challenges for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilitiesand their families.
Click to shrink...

In January 2020, just before COVID hit, Lisa, myself, and a team of advocates met with Chris Neeley, who headed the President's Committee for People with Intellectual Disabilities, a much-needed federal advisory committee that promotes policies and initiatives that support independent and lifelong inclusion. We discussed the need for all medical schools to include courses that focus on people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. We emphasized how crucial it was for hospitals and other acute-care facilities to help patients transition from pediatric to adult services. We emphasized the importance of collecting sufficient data to explain medically complex disorders. This was not about more government spending. It was about smarter investing and greater efficiency.
Click to shrink...

The meeting I had assumed would be a quick handshake hello with Donald had turned into a 45-minute discussion in the Oval Office with all of us—Azar, Giroir, the advocates, and me. I never expected to be there so long. Donald seemed engaged, especially when several people in our group spoke about the heart-wrenching and expensive efforts they'd made to care for their profoundly disabled family members, who were constantly in and out of the hospital and living with complex arrays of challenges.

Donald was still Donald, of course. He bounced from subject to subject—disability to the stock market and back to disability. But promisingly, Donald seemed genuinely curious regarding the depth of medical needs across the U.S. and the individual challenges these families faced. He told the secretary and the assistant secretary to stay in touch with our group and to be supportive.
Click to shrink...

Azar was still in the Oval Office when I walked back in. "Hey, pal," Donald said. "How's everything going?"

"Good," I said. "I appreciate your meeting with us."

"Sure, happy to do it."

He sounded interested and even concerned. I thought he had been touched by what the doctor and advocates in the meeting had just shared about their journey with their patients and their own family members. But I was wrong.

"Those people . . . " Donald said, trailing off. "The shape they're in, all the expenses, maybe those kinds of people should just die."
Click to shrink...

I got him up to speed on what Eric had told me. I said I'd heard the fund for William was running low, and unfortunately, the expenses certainly were not easing up as our son got older. In fact, with inflation and other pressures, the needs were greater than they'd been. "We're getting some blowback from Maryanne and Elizabeth and Ann Marie. We may need your help with this. Eric wanted me to give you a call."

Donald took a second as if he was thinking about the whole situation.

"I don't know," he finally said, letting out a sigh. "He doesn't recognize you. Maybe you should just let him die and move down to Florida."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT