ADVERTISEMENT

Time to finally make changes-QB, play calling, look aggressively into portal, find WR and OL recruits

elway

HB MVP
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2002
Scottsdale, AZ
Nothing against Petras as a person as he seems likable. He’s not. B1G QB. Anyone that is happy with a QB and offense that is below the the middle of the conference doesn’t care about winning. I noted in the off-season it seems KF has decided this is the highest level he feels comfortable competing at when my thinking is let’s shoot for a conference championship each year and aim for the CFP.

Rest of this season. Bench Petras permanently and thank him for his service. Ask him to mentor the younger QB’s. Next man in with a rotation and short leash. Padilla next, Labas in quickly if Padilla does nothing. Simplify the “complicated offense” realizing the current system is total crap which the statistics show no matter how you look at it. Open the passing game up to give the running game room to produce. In the long term, shake the mental mediocrity excuse of being a developmental program and play to always be in close games. Make it clear to BF he’s out of a job after the season and send him to make his own path.

The Portal-Hire a coach who is strong with talent evaluation and is relatable to today’s players. Make sure this person has full support to constantly be engaging talent regardless of position and utilize the portal as an effective tool at all times. It doesn’t matter whether the staff philosophically agrees with the portal or not. It’s here and can be much more effective than the staff has used it. Im not advocating to recruit play that don’t fit the culture of the staff and program. I’m just saying be open-minded to using it as an effective recruiting tool.

Recruiting this class and moving forward-Use the portal and dig deep to find players who may have been overlooked, been late bloomers who broke out, or have the potential to flip and find explosive athletic playmakers, especially at WR. Our recruiting these type players in recent years has been very good. We just need more of them. Cooper Dejean is the template for an example of this.

This season is going to go down as a disappointment but let’s not give up completely. Find offensive production, quit making excuses, and put points on the board by scoring TD’s not FG’s. I’m as incredibly frustrated as most of the fan base is but this is not a bad team. An elite defense and special teams with a depressing offense that has potential playmakers but currently with the with the wrong QB and OC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News