ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Start Over

That’s such a bullshit statement. We have beaten good teams plenty. That was his claim to fame for awhile. Beat good teams and drop pointless games against bad teams. Last year was the exception.
Haven't beaten a team that finished top 25 in 4 full seasons (2019 Minnesota). It was Ohio State in 2017 before that. Kirk is gonna miss the big ten west if the offense doesn't improve considerably

Yep. Fran has won just 2 NCAA games in the past 8 years. That's not acceptable IMO.
It has only taken him 14 years to have racked up as many NCAA tourney wins as Lute had in 1979 alone. Bucky had more total wins in only two tournament appearances, and that was back when only 24/25 teams made the tourney.

The reality is that Fran is a very so-so college coach, and we simply and literally do not have the athletes in basketball to consistently field a championship-contending team. "There's always next year", but next year isn't really any different from most other years. Tony may or may not be back, but he's at the top of his game right now. Payton is either terrific or erratic. I do not see him as an NBA pro in the future, as many of us dream now. Josh could get as good as Weezy, but he is no speedster either. Our recruits have to prove themselves. Iowa basketball is not the national powerhouse we think it is. Why would a top player not from a surrounding state want to join this program? If we get a Garza or a Keegan Murray, it is a gift from Above. We are an NIT team this year and will have trouble getting past the second round of that tourney. We need to get a coach like DeVries, McDermott from Creighton, or Iowa State's coach. The latter two will never come to Iowa, but maybe we could get Drake's man, like we got Lisa Bluder from them

Reactions: Legs94
It has only taken him 14 years to have racked up as many NCAA tourney wins as Lute had in 1979 alone. Bucky had more total wins in only two tournament appearances, and that was back when only 24/25 teams made the tourney.
I count 4 in total. In 14 years. Fran hasn't been much better in the Big 10 Tournament, either.

Other than that NIT run early on, and riding Keegan and JBo to the BTT title a couple years ago.. Fran has been a bad tournament coach.

I count 4 in total. In 14 years. Fran hasn't been much better in the Big 10 Tournament, either.

Other than that NIT run early on, and riding Keegan and JBo to the BTT title a couple years ago.. Fran has been a bad tournament coach.
And to piggyback onto my own post.. As we know, Lickliter won zero NCAA games. Alford won 1 (Creighton, 2001).

That makes a grand total of 5 NCAA tournament wins in the last quarter of a century since our last Sweet 16. And people wonder why the fan base is apathetic.

Football doesn’t need a total overhaul, just a few important moves. They’re close-ish in a sport where the blue bloods have all the power.

Wrestling can’t compete with Cael and the PSU money train right now, but is somewhat close. If not for an illegal investigation by the state killing eligibility for several starters they would have been much closer. We are a blue blood in the sport and only a handful of moves could push us back to the top.

Basketball isn’t even close. Individual good players, mediocre teams.
Wrestling is not close. Either you’re not watching or you don’t get it.

Reactions: herkhatescy
Sad Please Please Please GIF by myHQ

But it feels impossible that we make coaching changes in any of our major sports.... Because we don't.

Maybe next decade
You can thank Barta for the extensions.

• Sad
Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
You do realize where those numbers rank among other B1G coaches right? They’re above Johnson at Minnesota and that’s about it.
You could pay Fran $10M/year but I don't see a change in the results in the crystal ball.

Really bad.

We know what the ceiling is for Fran. He refuses to coach defense. He has no clue when to call a timeout, and his rotations are very weird at times. Ideally a mutual agreement can be made and we can pay him to walk away.
I dislike starting over. I think build upon what Fran has started would be a better term.

• Haha
Reactions: flynnhicks03
He’s been a HC since 1985 and has never made a Sweet 16. He’s a decent but not great coach. Will get you to the NCAA’s often but not far.

He is what he is. Over ,500 coach.
With his indifference to defense, that makes sense.

Fran needs to go not because of this year per se. Frankly, with the serious lack of talent on this roster, Fran had his best coaching year getting this team to 18 wins.
No, the reason Fran needs to go is his blatant refusal to evolve. To a lesser extent, giving unmerited favor to his sons.

It’s time.

Problem with football is that the formula KF has in place and refuses to budge from will never have us in a position to actually beat good teams. It's a great formula for winning close, low-scoring games against crappy B1G West teams, that's it. The minute we get in vs. a good team, everyone in the world knows we stand zero chance.
Both coaches could really see improvement if they weren’t so stubborn and inept in a few areas.

Kirk hates offense and cannot recruit that side of the ball outside of TE and lesser extent RB. Small tweaks to the scheme could help WR and OL mask their weaknesses. But nope! Must telegraph our plays and WR must block!!

Fran can’t freaking recruit a PG. never seen a school go THIS long without a true talent at this position. Playing time is there! You’ll have plenty of opportunities to score and assist….yet we struggle.

And Fran is like the opposite of kirk….he hates defense.

It feels like every game, and it’s probably close, where the opposing team goes 24-26 from 3pt haha. OSU was 8-10 i think in first half ??? That’s insane.

Reactions: DewHawk
Sorry Fran, but you've Tom Davis'd me on Iowa basketball.
Thanks for your efforts, but time to move on.

The fan's apathy around the Iowa men's program is so low and now I fear Carver will be even more empty. Fan attendance is certainly a very telling figure. Fran will not be fired, so what will it take to reverse fan apathy and low attendance at home games? Actual attendance at home games this year was an embarrassment and I assume next year it will be even worse. Fran stays and we continue as is -- sad state of affairs for Iowa men's basketball.

• Sad
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
We know what the ceiling is for Fran. He refuses to coach defense. He has no clue when to call a timeout, and his rotations are very weird at times. Ideally a mutual agreement can be made and we can pay him to walk away.
100% and his constant wanting to play his KIDS over better players is embarrassing! Fran has got to go!!!!

This would be an excellent time for Fran to move on, but he's not going to get fired. It really is time for a change.

As far as Fran's "refusal" to coach defense, I don't really agree. It's his unwillingness to recruit players that can play defense.

OSU is fast and athletic. Iowa is neither of those things. OSU ran around, over and through the Hawks. I'll bet they made a dozen or more really tough shots, while Iowa was missing layups.

And if slow and unathletic weren't enough, this team is soft. Pillow-fight soft. It's pretty easy to push them around both inside and out. And how many "And 1's" did OSU and Illinois get?

This team simply can't compete with top talent and athleticism. Maybe the next coach can put together a team that can,

I'm giving Fran 2 more years to see what the underclassmen and new recruits produce. If by then we have status que, then pull the plug and allow Fran to watch Jack play at Ohio St or Butler or wherever....
I have stated many times I like Riley Mulvey and see a future at Iowa and have been chastised for stating my opinion. Fran decided to redshirt him this year when his height, length, rebounding ability, screening, and scoring could have helped us and I don't care how bad some on here thinks he might be.
Fran better use him a lot if not start him along side Freemen next year. If Riley doesn't pan out, then that's on Fran for keeping him around for 4 years, but it's time for Fran to show us he wasn't a waste of a scholarship that most on here have harped on. Iowa doesn't have the NIL money to go out and get a player that will help Iowa on the front line or have the experience of playing in Iowa's system to help us next year. Riley Mulvey is it. I except that, it's time to put up or shut up!
Lol 2 more years of this crap from Fran and Carver will be empty completely...

I think you are right but it's still dumb. It's not like Florida or USC have been trying to pry Kirk away since the NFL ship sailed. Nor has Fran been turning down offers from Kansas or Duke. It was like Barta had 2 voices in his head arguing against each other.

Come to think of it I could see schizophrenia or autism lurking behind Barta's lifeless eyes.
Nice comment on Autism you ****ing dumbass.

This would be an excellent time for Fran to move on, but he's not going to get fired. It really is time for a change.

As far as Fran's "refusal" to coach defense, I don't really agree. It's his unwillingness to recruit players that can play defense.

OSU is fast and athletic. Iowa is neither of those things. OSU ran around, over and through the Hawks. I'll bet they made a dozen or more really tough shots, while Iowa was missing layups.

And if slow and unathletic weren't enough, this team is soft. Pillow-fight soft. It's pretty easy to push them around both inside and out. And how many "And 1's" did OSU and Illinois get?

This team simply can't compete with top talent and athleticism. Maybe the next coach can put together a team that can,
Lack of athleticism is a problem but so are the coaching concepts. It’s well know that they have less focus on defense in practice than most high school teams let alone major college basketball teams. It shows. He’s not changing. Time to move on.

The fan's apathy around the Iowa men's program is so low and now I fear Carver will be even more empty. Fan attendance is certainly a very telling figure. Fran will not be fired, so what will it take to reverse fan apathy and low attendance at home games? Actual attendance at home games this year was an embarrassment and I assume next year it will be even worse. Fran stays and we continue as is -- sad state of affairs for Iowa men's basketball.
WIN!!

Last Sunday and today were just brutal. Real chance at tourney last weekend, a whimper of a chance today and totally **** it up
Perkins looks like he's mentally checked out. Krikke and Owen with multiple point-blank shot misses. No help defense at all in low post. Not athletic enough to rebound well. No answer for defending Battle in the 2nd half. Way too many open 3's allowed. +O$U hit 10 of their first 13 3's. WTH!

On a positive note - Payton Sandfort played with the heart of a warrior. Left it all out there.

Que the Joker - "This team needs an enema!"

Reactions: herkhatescy
But it feels impossible that we make coaching changes in any of our major sports.... Because we don't.

Maybe next decade
There's a new sheriff in town. I doubt this AD is going to put up with mediocrity much longer especially with how poor mens attendance has been and will continue. I know most will hate this,but we need to emulate what Wisconsin is doing. They get the same type of athletes we do,but play tough physical grab ass defense. They take care of the ball and execute in the half court. Much more success than us in the last 20 years.

Reactions: Legs94
I'm 52, Iowa grad and lifelong Iowa fan, and I don't think there's ever been a time in my life/fandom when all of the major Iowa men's programs.... football, basketball, wrestling.... have been this limp, this mediocre, this void of life, this unable to compete vs. the top level.

Truly pathetic. We need a complete reset on the men's side.
Don't agree on football. Packed stadium. Sure the offense sucks and Kirks nepotism was infuriating. But that program is on solid ground. Figure out the offense and look out.

• $2.9 million in 2021-22 (unchanged from previous contract)
  • $3 million in 2022-23 (also unchanged)
  • $3.3 million in 2023-24 (a bump of $300,000)
  • $3.4 million in 2024-25 (new contract year)
  • $3.5 million in 2025-26 (new contract year)
  • $3.6 million in 2026-27 (new contract year)
  • $3.7 million in 2027-28 (new contract year)
****ing insane. Why did the U sign off on the shit.

Fire the damn strength coach. What is he doing???????? All our guys with exception of Perk and Dembele have noodle arms. We get pushed around all the time. The white kid from Illanoy had guns and could out muscle us easily.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT