ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Start Over

Sad Please Please Please GIF by myHQ

But it feels impossible that we make coaching changes in any of our major sports.... Because we don't.

Maybe next decade

Looking forward to the Fall ‘24 interview with Fran wherein he again explains how the coaches are prioritizing defense and that the team - right down to the last man - has accepted the challenge. Seeing great improvement. Practices are intense.

…… then he announces that Patrick has decided to return and use his last year of eligibility.

Good time to part ways with Fran.

Appreciate what he accomplished leading the program out of the Lickliter wasteland. He's gotten the program back to respectability, albeit not to the level it could be. I don't see Iowa getting to the next level with him, and I honestly think the fear of backsliding to Lickliter level is unrealistic. Even so, its worth the risk imo.

How much is his buy-out again?

Looking forward to the Fall ‘24 interview with Fran wherein he again explains how the coaches are prioritizing defense and that the team - right down to the last man - has accepted the challenge. Seeing great improvement. Practices are intense.

…… then he announces that Patrick has decided to return and use his last year of eligibility.
Don't forget the... "shooting lights out".. in practice comments

I'm 52, Iowa grad and lifelong Iowa fan, and I don't think there's ever been a time in my life/fandom when all of the major Iowa men's programs.... football, basketball, wrestling.... have been this limp, this mediocre, this void of life, this unable to compete vs. the top level.

Truly pathetic. We need a complete reset on the men's side.

Last edited:
You think its bad now - that the Hawks are saddled with Fran unless he decides to leave on his own - just wait until Mama Bear talks Pat into a change of heart and he comes back next season.

I'm 52, Iowa grad and lifelong Iowa fan, and I don't think there's ever been a time in my life/fandom when the major Iowa men's programs.... football, basketball, wrestling.... have been this limp, this mediocre, this void of life, this unable to compete vs. the top level.

The problem with keeping the same coaches around until they die

I'm 52, Iowa grad and lifelong Iowa fan, and I don't think there's ever been a time in my life/fandom when the major Iowa men's programs.... football, basketball, wrestling.... have been this limp, this mediocre, this void of life, this unable to compete vs. the top level.

Football doesn’t need a total overhaul, just a few important moves. They’re close-ish in a sport where the blue bloods have all the power.

Wrestling can’t compete with Cael and the PSU money train right now, but is somewhat close. If not for an illegal investigation by the state killing eligibility for several starters they would have been much closer. We are a blue blood in the sport and only a handful of moves could push us back to the top.

Basketball isn’t even close. Individual good players, mediocre teams.

Football doesn’t need a total overhaul, just a few important moves. They’re close-ish in a sport where the blue bloods have all the power.

Wrestling can’t compete with Cael and the PSU money train right now, but is somewhat close. If not for an illegal investigation by the state killing eligibility for several starters they would have been much closer. We are a blue blood in the sport and only a handful of moves could push us back to the top.

This. Football is far from an issue yet. Boring and stale I’ll give you that, but they overproduce and have vast more upside.

Problem with football is that the formula KF has in place and refuses to budge from will never have us in a position to actually beat good teams. It's a great formula for winning close, low-scoring games against crappy B1G West teams, that's it. The minute we get in vs. a good team, everyone in the world knows we stand zero chance.

Appreciate what he accomplished leading the program out of the Lickliter wasteland. He's gotten the program back to respectability, albeit not to the level it could be. I don't see Iowa getting to the next level with him, and I honestly think the fear of backsliding to Lickliter level is unrealistic. Even so, its worth the risk imo.

• $2.9 million in 2021-22 (unchanged from previous contract)
  • $3 million in 2022-23 (also unchanged)
  • $3.3 million in 2023-24 (a bump of $300,000)
  • $3.4 million in 2024-25 (new contract year)
  • $3.5 million in 2025-26 (new contract year)
  • $3.6 million in 2026-27 (new contract year)
  • $3.7 million in 2027-28 (new contract year)

Problem with football is that the formula KF has in place and refuses to budge from will never have us in a position to actually beat good teams. It's a great formula for winning close, low-scoring games against crappy B1G West teams, that's it. The minute we get in vs. a good team, everyone in the world knows we stand zero chance.
That’s such a bullshit statement. We have beaten good teams plenty. That was his claim to fame for awhile. Beat good teams and drop pointless games against bad teams. Last year was the exception.

• $2.9 million in 2021-22 (unchanged from previous contract)
  • $3 million in 2022-23 (also unchanged)
  • $3.3 million in 2023-24 (a bump of $300,000)
  • $3.4 million in 2024-25 (new contract year)
  • $3.5 million in 2025-26 (new contract year)
  • $3.6 million in 2026-27 (new contract year)
  • $3.7 million in 2027-28 (new contract year)
Thankfully, because of the conference money windfall, Iowa is in a position it can afford to pay him off if they wanted to and still go out and make a splash hire.

Would Beth want to convince the board to do it is the question.

Fran comes out and says next year will be his last.

Sandfort
Dix
Perkins
Freeman
Harding
Dembele
Koch
Tradjo

Lead the Hawks to the sweet 16 and Iowa hires the next hot young mid major coach.
Makes no sense to keep a lame duck coach around for a full season. Better to hire the new coach ASAP and commence the transition immediately.

More upset at the length which is why Barta sucked ass. He's gave Kirk lengthy extensions as well. He could watch Kirk or Fran win a game of Chutes & Ladders and hand em out 15 year extensions for it.

More than likely the length was for recruiting purposes (I hope).

More upset at the length which is why Barta sucked ass. He's gave Kirk lengthy extensions as well. He could watch Kirk or Fran win a game of Chutes & Ladders and hand em out 15 year extensions for it.
I'd be fine with 15 year extensions, as long as the contract is front loaded so cutting ties after year 4 is an option without much financial pain.

YR1: $8M
YR2: $7M
YR3: $6M
YR4: $5M
YR5 -15: $500K/yr

Reactions: ButtersHawk

This. The reward outweighs the Lickliter risk. Everything has gone stale, and what really stinks for Fran is just a couple more NCAA advances & nobody is talking about this.

During a Scott Dochterman podcast, there was a hint that potential NIL money is being witheld from basketball until Fran is gone. Just referencing a vague rumor, something that some ppl say. Not putting this on SD at all.

But wonderig if that could be true. Are potential big donors not routing any money for bball until a change is made?

During a Scott Dochterman podcast, there was a hint that potential NIL money is being witheld from basketball until Fran is gone. Just referencing a vague rumur, something that some ppl say. Not putting this on SD at all.

But wonderig if that could be true. Are potential big donors not routing any money for bball until a change is made?

Makes sense, why donate if you get no payback.

More than likely the length was for recruiting purposes (I hope).
I think you are right but it's still dumb. It's not like Florida or USC have been trying to pry Kirk away since the NFL ship sailed. Nor has Fran been turning down offers from Kansas or Duke. It was like Barta had 2 voices in his head arguing against each other.

Come to think of it I could see schizophrenia or autism lurking behind Barta's lifeless eyes.

None of the 3 deserve to be fired. I hope they all retire as it doesn't seem likely that any of the 3 will make smart adjustments to improve the teams.

Reactions: Ronman
None of the 3 deserve to be fired. I hope they all retire as it doesn't seem likely that any of the 3 will make smart adjustments to improve the teams.
I'm giving Fran 2 more years to see what the underclassmen and new recruits produce. If by then we have status quo, then pull the plug and allow Fran to watch Jack play at Ohio St or Butler or wherever....
I have stated many times I like Riley Mulvey and see a future at Iowa and have been chastised for stating my opinion. Fran decided to redshirt him this year when his height, length, rebounding ability, screening, and scoring could have helped us and I don't care how bad some on here thinks he might be.
Fran better use him a lot if not start him along side Freemen next year. If Riley doesn't pan out, then that's on Fran for keeping him around for 4 years, but it's time for Fran to show us he wasn't a waste of a scholarship that most on here have harped on. Iowa doesn't have the NIL money to go out and get a player that will help Iowa on the front line or have the experience of playing in Iowa's system to help us next year. Riley Mulvey is it. I except that, it's time to put up or shut up!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT