ADVERTISEMENT

Tip of the Cap to Lester

IChawkeye45

Scout Team
Jul 19, 2022
First off, it’s hard to blame Lester for anything this offense has struggled with. His predecessor left things in shambles as far as scheme and playcalling. But Lester has made adjustments after the Iowa State red zone struggles. He’s using motion well to move the defenders eyes. What a refreshing thing to see, things like personnel and half time offensive adjustments. We lose the Minnesota game with our old offensive coordinator running things.

First off, it’s hard to blame Lester for anything this offense has struggled with. His predecessor left things in shambles as far as scheme and playcalling. But Lester has made adjustments after the Iowa State red zone struggles. He’s using motion well to move the defenders eyes. What a refreshing thing to see, things like personnel and half time offensive adjustments. We lose the Minnesota game with our old offensive coordinator running things.
I have been replaying Iowa games for a few years now to specifically watch both units's line play. It looks like there are some different techniques and block schemes being used to crossblock at the point of the run attack, it seems like the OLine is quicker to double and release blockers to the 2nd level as they are getting a hat on a lot of Lbkrs.

Kaleb is showing some better cutback vision and ability which goes with the OLine getting a lot of zone push.

And maybe Lester is just a better calming presence while making changes at halftime.

Minnesota beat Iowa last year
seinfeld-no.gif

Loved the outside pitch sweeps and the blocking mix.

Certainly not missing BF, but somehow the TEs seemed to thrive (probably by necessity). Lachey looked like the next NFLer from TEU, but some of that is lost thus far. Still might happen--hopefully.

He got a little greedy with the bootleg pass to TE. Hopefully Large is ok after that last hit.

Tip of the cap to Beth for prioritizing what's best for the program over what is best for the Ferentz family
Saw and spoke with Beth briefly at the Hawkeye Huddle yesterday. Told her I was glad they promoted Jan Jensen. She said That was an easy choice. Then I added "You're going to have a couple more important hires to make in the near future". She said, hopefully not too near. I love our coaches...followed by a well-rehearsed smile. I got the feeling she's been asked about this a lot.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
I have been replaying Iowa games for a few years now to specifically watch both units's line play. It looks like there are some different techniques and block schemes being used to crossblock at the point of the run attack, it seems like the OLine is quicker to double and release blockers to the 2nd level as they are getting a hat on a lot of Lbkrs.

Kaleb is showing some better cutback vision and ability which goes with the OLine getting a lot of zone push.

And maybe Lester is just a better calming presence while making changes at halftime.
Clearly much improved halftime adjustments compared to his screw-up of the 2nd half against Isu.

Called a good game. How good the offense is going to be is up to the guys up front.
The line overpowered the Goophers. Might have been the best game this line group has played in the 3 seasons they've played together. That kind of line play and Kaleb J make Iowa a very hard out.

The line overpowered the Goophers. Might have been the best game this line group has played in the 3 seasons they've played together. That kind of line play and Kaleb J make Iowa a very hard out.
Exactly. I like our chances in close games when we are up one score with 4 minutes to go. That running game will be huge. I’d even take 1 first down…lol. I like the fact we have more than just Kaleb at RB and they all bring a unique style.

Clearly much improved halftime adjustments compared to his screw-up of the 2nd half against Isu.
Yeah, in the first half of the ISU game is where that game was lost by not ramming it in from 1st and goal from 1 1/2 yards and the other goal to goal. Plus those pitch sweeps to Kaleb against ISU in the first half were working and I hardly remember Lester calling one of them in the 2nd half

I think by the motion and change in tendencies on down and distance and personnel has helped the OL out big time. I’d like to see a tad more passing on first down but overall I’m very happy with how things have improved already. We just won a conference game by 3 scores and we didn’t play all that great at times. Love it.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
The passing will improve
I hope so...they have 2 weeks to figure out something as we know OSU will load the box to shut down the run game. If we don't have answers to that it feels like the same thing from a few years ago. And I hope I am wrong but I am not seeing it yet in the passing game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT