ADVERTISEMENT

Tipping Question

mthawkeyes

HR Heisman
Mar 22, 2007
Fourmile Creek
A student who works as a server mentioned today that she has been tipped multiple times by people who leave her a Bible in lieu of money, telling her that she will find it far more valuable than money. I had never heard of this before, and it raises several questions.

Has this been a thing for awhile and I've never heard about it, or is there some organization/denomination advocating for this?
Why did these customers use money to buy food when they could have just bought a far more valuable Bible?
Does the server need to report the value of the Bible as income for tax purposes? And if so, is there some equivalent of a blue book to determine the value of the Bible one receives?
If I am going to tip in the form of Bibles, how do I calculate the appropriate type of Bible to leave? Does it depend on the quality of the service? If I'm just paying for myself, is a small Gideon's version acceptable, but I should leave a larger leather-bound annotated version if I'm paying for a larger party?

Also, I couldn't help but think of this:
311141f4-fcd1-4bc8-9fd9-2a36e9cd881b_text.gif

It’s been a thing for a long time. I had some “pastor” leave me his business card as a tip back in the 80s

I thought that was an isolated incident until I saw this video

“have a three hour bible study and leave a religious pamphlet as a tip”

Reactions: mthawkeyes
A student who works as a server mentioned today that she has been tipped multiple times by people who leave her a Bible in lieu of money, telling her that she will find it far more valuable than money. I had never heard of this before, and it raises several questions.

Has this been a thing for awhile and I've never heard about it, or is there some organization/denomination advocating for this?
Why did these customers use money to buy food when they could have just bought a far more valuable Bible?
Does the server need to report the value of the Bible as income for tax purposes? And if so, is there some equivalent of a blue book to determine the value of the Bible one receives?
If I am going to tip in the form of Bibles, how do I calculate the appropriate type of Bible to leave? Does it depend on the quality of the service? If I'm just paying for myself, is a small Gideon's version acceptable, but I should leave a larger leather-bound annotated version if I'm paying for a larger party?

Never heard of it or seen it done, but I'd throw it at them. Good grief. You wanna help, how about throwing 20% IN the Bible when you hand it to the server.

Imagine this scenario. The lame man is lowered through the roof to see Jesus, BUT instead of healing him Jesus just tells the man a neat story.

donald trump no GIF by The Little Hours Movie

Yeesh, people suck.

Dude this happened every Sunday lunch buffet at Pizza Ranch probably at every Pizza Ranch in the history of Pizza Ranch

Reactions: BrianNole777

This is a good way to create people who want nothing to do with religion. Their cheap ass proselytizing will likely backfire.

Overly religious people that try and get others to follow are the ****ing worst. There's a house in my neighborhood that gives out little booklets w/ bible verses in it to kids on Halloween, instead of candy. It's not quite the same thing as the tipping situation, but close enough. Just for once, act normal, and do what normal people do. Religion doesn't have to impact your actions 24/7. It's so goddamn annoying/csb/rant

Been seeing a lot of these and the Trump 100s on reddit.

56845877dd089545558b4877
There's a "coin dealer" here in Cedar Falls that has a handmade sign hanging on the front of his building that says "Trump Silver Coins". I have no idea what those are, and why anyone would spend real money on them, but it makes me laugh every time I drive by it. But I'm guessing Trump has tried pushing those as being more valuable than money.

Been seeing a lot of these and the Trump 100s on reddit.

56845877dd089545558b4877
What a butthole thing to do.

Proverbs 12:22: "Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are his delight."

Colossians 3:9: "Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices."

Psalms 101:7: "No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who speaks falsely will stand in my presence."

Sort of related, many years ago we sold my wife's old computer (no pics of computer. Pic of wife in post a pic thread) via Craigslist. I help this guy load it, he hasn't yet handed me the money. And then says "I ask everyone this.... But do you know where you're going when you die?"

I had to play along with this prick for what felt like forever, probably only a minute just to make sure he paid me.

So let that be a lesson to yous guys. Get the money first, then you can tell the religious nut bags to stop believing in fairy tales and GTFO.

Sort of related, many years ago we sold my wife's old computer (no pics of computer. Pic of wife in post a pic thread) via Craigslist. I help this guy load it, he hasn't yet handed me the money. And then says "I ask everyone this.... But do you know where you're going when you die?"

I had to play along with this prick for what felt like forever, probably only a minute just to make sure he paid me.

And?

What did you say and how did he respond?

Dude this happened every Sunday lunch buffet at Pizza Ranch probably at every Pizza Ranch in the history of Pizza Ranch
I didn't read whole OP and had instantly recalled some personal trauma. Nobody ever left Bibles. A lot of people left these little pieces of paper that look like money and then you pick it up and it's fake money directing you to some online Protestant pablum

Reactions: BrianNole777
Overly religious people that try and get others to follow are the ****ing worst. There's a house in my neighborhood that gives out little booklets w/ bible verses in it to kids on Halloween, instead of candy. It's not quite the same thing as the tipping situation, but close enough. Just for once, act normal, and do what normal people do. Religion doesn't have to impact your actions 24/7. It's so goddamn annoying/csb/rant

They should drop some Reese's PB cups in with the Bible verses.

Write them an anonymous note and tell them your boy Brian who prays half the day suggested it. 👍

I smiled politely and nodded. He gave me the money and I saved the story to tell on GIAHORT one day. I hope he felt accomplished.

But I'd lay 420:69 he used that same computer to look up incest pron.

Ah. I wonder if he was Mormon/Jehova's Witness.

I never talk religion anymore unless someone asks me.

It's not effective.

When I was waiting tables in college an older couple left behind a bibble verse of the day notecard instead of a tip and got pissy when they saw me throwing it away.

CSB
When I was in high school I bagged groceries at the base commissary. We worked for tips only.
One day this old codger comes in. I bag his groceries, load them up in the cart, take them to his car and load them in the trunk.
He takes out one of those old plastic coin purses and hands me a nickel. I look at it, then hand it back. If that's all he's got, I don't want it.
So he pulls out the purse again and ups it to 15 cents. I thank him and as I'm pushing the cart back I drop it on the ground.
As I head back inside I see him on the ground picking up the coins.

I once talked with a guy that did rigging for a living, think going around to high schools and helping them make Peter Pan fly. His contract was very explicit that he had to have his own room in a hotel with a per diem. I was talking to him about it and he said it came about because he used to work at a lot more churches and religious schools and they would try to guilt him into staying with families since they were doing the show "for the Lord". He said the only time he had to go to court to get his fee was from a evangelical church who just straight up stopped answering his calls.

I had a taco pizza at Happy Joe’s in Kewanee. It was very good. Casey’s breakfast pizza is also good.
I’m not a breakfast pizza guy. It’s not that it doesn’t taste great, but i would just rather have a sausage egg biscuit or McMuffin. For regular pizza, their taco is great, but so is just a plain pepperoni, or else the Canadian bacon and sauerkraut. WAY better than Casey’s.

I read the Pizza Ranch website. It is a Jesus-fest, far more than Chic-fil-a. I remember hearing that Chic-fil-a would want a recommendation from your pastor before they would hire you. I can only imagine what Pizza Ranch requires. Maybe they quiz you on bible verses during your interview to be a fry cook.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT