ADVERTISEMENT

Tired of Iowa not showing up in the tournament

Who cares about winning the conference tournament? This is the weekend that matters, and Iowa can't get it done. The bad part is that Richmond hasn't done anything special either. Iowa has just choked.
Actually I do care about it that’s one monkey off the back now just 50 more monkeys to go like Sweet 16, great 8 final
4 then the ultimate NC

The BTT run was nice, but in all honesty I don't really give a sh!t about it after today. That should always just be a way to set up what you do in the Dance.

This complete failure in the NCAA tourney establishes this teams position in the history of Iowa basketball. Which is mostly forgettable.

Last year it was Luka as NPOY.

This year it's Keegan's breakout AA year.

Memorable individual achievements certainly.

Ya know, when u can’t hit anything from 3 there are other ways to score instead of keep throwing up 3’s. We got destroyed in the paint…by a f’n A10 team!
Too many Iowa forwards want to play on the perimeter instead of mixing it up down low. PMac took 7 threes, thank god he made some. Kris took 5 and missed them all. Sandfort and Keegan didn't make any from the outside. The offense looked totally lost when the outside shots weren't dropping and never really adjusted.

Too many Iowa forwards want to play on the perimeter instead of mixing it up down low. PMac took 7 threes, thank god he made some. Kris took 5 and missed them all. Sandfort and Keegan didn't make any from the outside. The offense looked totally lost when the outside shots weren't dropping and never really adjusted.
And that is all Richmond was really giving them… the pretty much collapsed the lane when any tried to drive.

will to be they watched old vids of Fred and ISU forcing Iowa to shoot their way out of their defense.

Reactions: td77
1/2 way thru the first day of the tournament and it is basically over for me. I really have no desire to watch anymore.

Thanks Fran.
100% I’m done with college basketball again. Ready for baseball.

Great, but in the grand scheme nobody does. It's literally all forgotten.
Not by all.

Sure, losing in the first round - especially when under heavy expectations - sucks hard, but totally writing off winning a major conference tournament, beating 3 fellow NCAA Tournament teams in the process??

I'm as jaded as they come, but that's kinda crazy.

I was in Indy last week. I care a great deal that we won that.
The team does, too, apparently; and probably too much. Maybe they need to save all their hugs and crying for larger achievements. It's like all the confetti and net-cutting and t-shirts and hats and trophy photo-ops made them think the season was already over, when in fact, the real season hadn't even begun.

Reactions: DewHawk
1/2 way thru the first day of the tournament and it is basically over for me. I really have no desire to watch anymore.

Thanks Fran.
Me too. They killed my march madness mojo.
And now I gotta go to Walmart to get a couple things….

Who cares about winning the conference tournament? This is the weekend that matters, and Iowa can't get it done. The bad part is that Richmond hasn't done anything special either. Iowa has just choked.
Richmond hadn’t qualified for the tournament for 11 straight seasons. Richmond also didn’t play that well yesterday. As we’ve seen far to often, Iowa didn’t show up in the National Tournament.

Yup, and it took the NPOY the last 2 years to even do that. They flat out carried our asses, it's almost like one trick pony teams don't fare well in March. Who knew?
My 12 year old son said it best that Iowa can’t win because they never have a complete team. Last year a great center in Luka but very suspect guard play and no players who could drive. This year better guard play and guys who could drive but no inside scorer or defender. 2015 team was good defensively but not great offensively. Last year terrible defensively but good offensively.
Fran has had two of the best players in Iowa history and numerous others in top 10 scoring but can’t get it done. Maybe what’s missing is not great individual players but several good players that make Iowa a balanced team. Give me a team where 4-5 guys average around 9-12 points over one player at 23 and no one else over 10 points.

This is Iowa Basketball. Period.
That is utter bullsh*t. Iowa basketball had a long, proud history that came to an abrupt end when Tom Davis left town. I can't stand the defeatist attitude that this team simply can't compete at a high level. Same ole sh*t with the football team, although KF has earned his stripes while FM has earned nothing.

I see terrific new basketball coaches popping up all over the country. Problem is that Iowa will NEVER have one walk through their doors if we are constantly afraid to make a change in fear of having the next Lickliter era.

I don't think FM needs to be shown the door right now, but I sure wish our gelding A.D. would give him an ultimatum of some minimal expectations (e.g. - regular season conference championship or Sweet 16) within 2 years, or at least before he is ever given another extension.

He's been here 12 frickin' years. This is big boy basketball. Time to put up when it counts or head back to the MAAC, where he probably belongs.

That is utter bullsh*t. Iowa basketball had a long, proud history that came to an abrupt end when Tom Davis left town. I can't stand the defeatist attitude that this team simply can't compete at a high level. Same ole sh*t with the football team, although KF has earned his stripes while FM has earned nothing.

I see terrific new basketball coaches popping up all over the country. Problem is that Iowa will NEVER have one walk through their doors if we are constantly afraid to make a change in fear of having the next Lickliter era.

I don't think FM needs to be shown the door right now, but I sure wish our gelding A.D. would give him an ultimatum of some minimal expectations (e.g. - regular season conference championship or Sweet 16) within 2 years, or at least before he is ever given another extension.

He's been here 12 frickin' years. This is big boy basketball. Time to put up when it counts or head back to the MAAC, where he probably belongs.
preach brotha

While I agree with the OP's premise that performance in the NCAA tourney is what should have the most bearing in evaluating a teams performance at the end of the year, I'm also willing to concede that's not everyone's opinion.

It's probably a matter of how any of us assign a percentage, relative value or whatever else you want to call it to various markers over the course of the season.

For me, the NCAA tourney is the pinnacle of the basketball year. It's the purpose of playing every other game. It's when a team ultimately wants to be playing its best ball. I put a LOT of weight on how I view a season based on NCAA tourney performance. A team can fail to show up much of the time during the regular season and then go on a tourney run to at least the Sweet 16 and that makes whatever lack of performance before that fade far to the background. If Iowa could be the next out of nowhere nc state-Jimmy V. team I'd take that over multiple B1G regular season titles. In a heartbeat.

Was the BTT win nice? Sure. Would I rather see them get that than a first round win? Nope (see 2006 as well).

NCAA tourney performance isn't the only measure of the season's performance. From my perspective though, it's the most important one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT