ADVERTISEMENT

Titanic tourist sub goes missing

Hoosierhawkeye

HR King
Sep 16, 2008

A submersible craft used to take people to see the wreck of the Titanic has gone missing in the Atlantic Ocean with its crew on board, sparking a major search and rescue operation.

Tour firm OceanGate, which runs $250,000-a-seat expeditions to the wreck, said it was exploring all options to get the crew back safely.

It said government agencies and deep sea firms were helping the operation.
The Titanic sank in 1912 and lies some 3,800m (12,500ft) beneath the waves.

The missing craft is believed to be OceanGate's Titan submersible, a truck-sized sub that holds five people and usually dives with a four-day supply of oxygen.
It is not known when contact with the craft was lost, but the vessel was reported overdue on Sunday evening about 435 miles (700km) south of St John's, Newfoundland.

Hamish Harding, a 59-year-old British billionaire businessman and explorer, is among those on the missing submarine, his family said.
On social media at the weekend, Mr Harding said he was "proud to finally announce" that he would be aboard the mission to the wreck of the Titanic - but added that due to the "worst winter in Newfoundland in 40 years, this mission is likely to be the first and only manned mission to the Titanic in 2023".
He wrote on Sunday: "A weather window has just opened up and we are going to attempt a dive tomorrow."
OceanGate said in a statement that its "entire focus is on the crewmembers in the submersible and their families".
"We are deeply thankful for the extensive assistance we have received from several government agencies and deep sea companies in our efforts to re-establish contact with the submersible," it added.
The company bills the eight-day trip on its carbon-fibre submersible as a "chance to step outside of everyday life and discover something truly extraordinary".

According to its website, one expedition is ongoing and two more have been planned for June 2024.
Titan submersible from OceanGate

The submersible usually carries a pilot, three paying guests, and what the company calls a "content expert".
The trip sets sail from St John's in Newfoundland, which is around 370 miles (600km) from the wreckage site. Each full dive to the wreck, including the descent and ascent, reportedly takes around eight hours.
The OceanGate website lists three submersibles it owns, and only the Titan is capable of diving deep enough to reach the Titanic wreckage.
The vessel weighs 10,432 kg (23,000 lbs) and, according to the website, can reach depths of up to 4,000m and has 96 hours of life support available for a crew of five.
A vessel called the Polar Prince, which is used to transport submersibles to the wreckage site, was involved in the expedition, its owner told the BBC.

The Titanic, which was the largest ship of its time, hit an iceberg on its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York in 1912. Of the 2,200 passengers and crew onboard, more than 1,500 died.
Its wreckage has been extensively explored since it was discovered in 1985.
The wreck lies in two parts, with the bow and the stern separated by about 800m (2,600ft). A huge debris field surrounds the broken vessel.
Last month, the first full-sized digital scan of the wreck was created using deep-sea mapping. The scan shows both the scale of the ship, as well as some minute details, such as the serial number on one of the propellers.
Map shows the location of the Titanic wreck

Things I have zero interest in:
  • paying to be in a submarine on purpose
  • being on a small boat in the middle of the ocean
  • space travel as we know it
  • sky diving
  • cave diving
  • spelunking
  • riding a motorcycle, especially without a helmet

Do you consider the Mark Twain caves spelunking?

That’s a shame. Hopefully they were able to add yet another memorial plaque to the wreck and continue its accelerated decay.

Fireworks. lol
Well that is the more or less part. One of my dogs DGAF about them or thunder storms, the other one freaks out if she hears a pitter patter of rain on our roof. Personally, I wouldn't shell out $$$$ for the big residential displays those in my neighborhood seem to like to do, but for a few nights each early July, my one dog can hangout in the basement while I enjoy Armageddon from by backyard.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Ugh. I don't think I am claustrophobic per se, but there is NO WAY I am getting into a submarine! That's sad...hopefully something good happens yet, but it doesn't seem likely at this point.
Needs to be a top of the line government sub with decades of proven use via multiple subs of same type sailing.

Not getting on some “made for profit” one of a kind piece of shit.

Life is short enough without all there stupid extreme activities.

Reminds me off of the 60 minutes piece on those winged suit base jumpers. By the time the episode actually aired a few of the subjects were dead.

IMO…a real shitty selfish thing to do to your parents.

Well that is the more or less part. One of my dogs DGAF about them or thunder storms, the other one freaks out if she hears a pitter patter of rain on our roof. Personally, I wouldn't shell out $$$$ for the big residential displays those in my neighborhood seem to like to do, but for a few nights each early July, my one dog can hangout in the basement while I enjoy Armageddon from by backyard.

My Co-Worker says the dog gummies worked wonders.

If the thing imploded, that’s a way better and quicker way to go than the cave guy.
This. Four days to sit and stare at each other? The thing beginning to stink of sweat, piss and shit.
Looking around and figuring out if you can kill the content expert to buy a little more time...

Reminds me off of the 60 minutes piece on those winged suit base jumpers. By the time the episode actually aired a few of the subjects were dead.

IMO…a real shitty selfish thing to do to your parents.
I mean, what happens if everything goes fine with equipment but you have a cramp or charlie horse mid plunge? Stupid stupid stupid.

I mean, what happens if everything goes fine with equipment but you have a cramp or charlie horse mid plunge? Stupid stupid stupid.

Whenever I have had a Charles Horse, it was waking up in the morning. I added a lot more water drinking and it seems to have subsided.

I had one once in my quad when I was with a girl in college. She thought I was dying I think lol.

Reactions: Tenacious E
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT