ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Hockenson: Named to 2020 Pro Bowl. In 2020, Had 3rd-most yards (723) & 4th-most receptions (67) among all NFL Tight Ends

Detroit = Super Bowl champs

Just right after the Vikings win it. That's all....:cool:

giphy.gif

I feel great I’ll be watching Iowa on Saturday then turn right around and watch the Lions on Sunday beat down the NFC north with Mike Daniels & T J! GO HAWKS! GO LIONS!

Reactions: SpartyHawk1
Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 03:34 PM

TIM AND MIKE: Training camp Day 1 observations

Playmaking rookie: Rookie first-round pick T.J. Hockenson made a few nice plays in his training camp debut. The team’s No. 1 pick this past April snuck behind the linebackers and caught a touchdown in the back of the end zone in the last rep of a goal line passing drill that forced the defense to do pushups. Later, in 7-on-7’s, he made a leaping catch in the corner of the end zone and was able to get both feet in bounds for a touchdown. – Tim Twentyman

LINK: https://www.detroitlions.com/news/tim-and-mike-training-camp-day-1-observations-x8784

Reactions: Ree4
Friday, Jul 26, 2019 04:35 PM

TIM AND MIKE: Training camp Day 2 observations

DET.svg

Tim Twentyman & Mike OHara
DETROITLIONS.COM WRITERS

Double tight ends: T.J. Hockenson (first round) and Isaac Nauta (seventh) were taken in opposite ends of the draft, but they were almost in sync with TD catches a couple minutes apart. First, Hockenson made a tumbling catch in the left corner of the end zone. In the adjoining field, Nauta made a catch in stride on a post pattern on his way to the end zone. – Mike O’Hara

Rookie vs. rookie: In a goal line 7-on-7 drill, Hockenson and second-round pick Jahlani Tavai found themselves matched up in the end zone with Hockenson running a corner route. Hockenson was able to leap up and make the grab over Tavai, who had pretty good coverage on the play. Detroit’s first two picks in this year’s draft are already getting after it in camp. – Tim Twentyman

LINK: https://www.detroitlions.com/news/tim-and-mike-training-camp-day-2-hockenson-kennard-tavai

Reactions: Ree4
TWENTYMAN: Tight ends making plays in practice
nqhbd0jltxg430sunv07.png

Tim Twentyman
SENIOR WRITER

The Lions struggled at times last season with getting consistent production from the tight end position.

If the first two days of training camp are any indication, Lions fans can expect more from the position heading into 2019.

Rookie first-round pick T.J. Hockenson has made a number of terrific grabs the first two days of camp, especially in the end zone, but he hasn’t been alone in that regard. Jesse James has made plays, Logan Thomas has made plays, and even seventh-round pick Isaac Nauta has gotten in on the action.

The noticeably improved play from the tight end position has been one of the early storylines in camp.

“We’re all just trying to have fun out here,’’ Hockenson said after Friday’s practice. "I’m just trying to have fun playing the game I love, and being able to do it with these guys just means a lot. This group of veterans have all taken (us) in really well and accepted me as part of this team and I’m super excited to get started.”

Fans attending training camp have to be excited by what they've seen from Hockenson so far. Even his teammates were hooting and hollering a bit as the touchdown catches racked up Friday.

Detroit’s tight ends accounted for just 13 percent (43) of the team’s catches last season, and the offense simply didn’t get the big plays down the seam, after the catch, or in the red zone from the position.

Detroit ranked 30th in red zone passing last season with a team passing rating of just 78.4. The Lions have been working a lot in the red zone the first two days of training camp. Hockenson and Co. have made a lot of plays in those drills.

“I want to do whatever I can to help this team,” Hockenson said. "I think we all do. That’s what I’m trying to do every single day. Come out here and do my best in order to be a part of this team.”

Both head coach Matt Patricia and tight ends coach Chris White have commented about the chemistry in the tight end room and the willingness of the older guys like James, Thomas and Jerome Cunningham to work with the young guys and show them the ropes. It’s made for a terrific learning environment, and Hockenson credits it with helping his early acclimation into the league.

It’s been a welcomed sight to see this group of tight ends making the kinds of plays we’ve been seeing early in camp. It adds a whole new dimension to the offense, which James explained this offseason.

“It’s a huge advantage if you have two guys you’re confident in,” James said of potentially seeing more two tight end sets. “If you have two guys who can go out there and catch the ball, you can stretch the defense a little different than most teams do.

“It’s definitely an advantage if you can get two guys out there that you’re confident in and can do some different things with – run the ball and pass the ball.”

We’re seeing early on how this crop of tight ends can stress a defense, even a pretty veteran defense like Detroit’s, especially in the red zone.

It’s very early into camp, so no solid conclusions can be made just yet, but the Lions' tight ends have been terrific across the board through the first two days of training camp.

LINK: https://www.detroitlions.com/news/twentyman-tight-ends-making-plays-in-practice

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2019 01:08 PM

What is the biggest challenge facing Hockenson in rookie season?

nqhbd0jltxg430sunv07.png

Tim Twentyman
SENIOR WRITER

T.J. Hockenson reported to training camp with the rest of the Lions rookies, injured players and select veterans on July 18, so he’s been to work for about a week now.

The rest of Detroit’s vets reported for work Wednesday. Thursday is the first full-squad practice of training camp, which is really when Hockenson’s NFL career truly starts. Training camp is all about competition. The pads come on in a few days, and the competition for jobs and playing time is about to ramp up for Hockenson and the rest of the rookies.

It begs the question, what is the biggest challenge Hockenson faces heading into training camp?

“Just the acclimation from college to pro,” tight ends coach Chris White said. “Those little things.”

Some of those little things White refers to come off the field, too -- Things like living on his own for the first time, renting a place to live and all the things that come with starting a life in a new city.

On the field, the No. 8 overall pick enters his professional career with a good resume. He won the John Mackey Award as the nation's top tight end last year and the Big Ten Tight End of the Year award, along with first-team all-conference honors. He started 13 games for Iowa and lead the team with 49 catches for 760 yards (15.5 average) and six touchdowns.

Nonetheless, outside of the quarterback position, tight end is probably the hardest position on offense for young players to learn coming from the college.

“For tight ends ... they have to learn everything,” White said. “They have to learn the pass game like a wide receiver. They have to learn the run game like an offensive lineman. They have to be in pass protection at times. They have to learn hots. They have to be on the same page with the quarterback. So, I think that’s the biggest thing with all young tight ends.”

Luckily for the Lions, Hockenson comes from a pro system at Iowa where he was asked to play in-line and do a lot of the things that NFL tight ends are asked to do. It puts Hockenson a little bit ahead of the curve, White admitted, because he said the most difficult part of coaching young tight ends is teaching them the in-line part of the game and the blocking schemes, especially if they’re not familiar with doing it.

Hockenson has blocked defensive ends and made line calls.

“I think he’s got a step up there from a lot of tight ends,” White said.

Veterans in the tight end room like Jesse James and Logan Thomas have been really good with the young players like Hockenson and fellow rookie Isaac Nauta, lending advice and showing them the ropes, White said. He likes the symmetry within that tight end room, and the talent level. He expects there to be a lot of competition in camp.

Hockenson is likely to be a big part of the offense alongside James. White called Hockenson a grinder, and is looking forward to seeing how he handles himself in the coming days and weeks.

“He is very demanding of himself,” White said of Hockenson. “He puts a lot of pressure on himself. I think that’s a good thing. He wants to do everything exactly the way it’s coached, so if he has the slightest little mistake there, he’ll learn from it, but he’ll get kind of pissed off.”

Training camp is a big learning curve for all rookies, and Hockenson is no exception.

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/what-is-the-biggest-challenge-facing-hockenson-in-rookie-season

Last edited:
Reactions: ukrainehawk
Unfortunately for most national league teams, the rams and saints will battle for national league supremacy.

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2019 01:08 PM

What is the biggest challenge facing Hockenson in rookie season?

nqhbd0jltxg430sunv07.png

Tim Twentyman
SENIOR WRITER

T.J. Hockenson reported to training camp with the rest of the Lions rookies, injured players and select veterans on July 18, so he’s been to work for about a week now.

The rest of Detroit’s vets reported for work Wednesday. Thursday is the first full-squad practice of training camp, which is really when Hockenson’s NFL career truly starts. Training camp is all about competition. The pads come on in a few days, and the competition for jobs and playing time is about to ramp up for Hockenson and the rest of the rookies.

It begs the question, what is the biggest challenge Hockenson faces heading into training camp?

“Just the acclimation from college to pro,” tight ends coach Chris White said. “Those little things.”

Some of those little things White refers to come off the field, too -- Things like living on his own for the first time, renting a place to live and all the things that come with starting a life in a new city.

On the field, the No. 8 overall pick enters his professional career with a good resume. He won the John Mackey Award as the nation's top tight end last year and the Big Ten Tight End of the Year award, along with first-team all-conference honors. He started 13 games for Iowa and lead the team with 49 catches for 760 yards (15.5 average) and six touchdowns.

Nonetheless, outside of the quarterback position, tight end is probably the hardest position on offense for young players to learn coming from the college.

“For tight ends ... they have to learn everything,” White said. “They have to learn the pass game like a wide receiver. They have to learn the run game like an offensive lineman. They have to be in pass protection at times. They have to learn hots. They have to be on the same page with the quarterback. So, I think that’s the biggest thing with all young tight ends.”

Luckily for the Lions, Hockenson comes from a pro system at Iowa where he was asked to play in-line and do a lot of the things that NFL tight ends are asked to do. It puts Hockenson a little bit ahead of the curve, White admitted, because he said the most difficult part of coaching young tight ends is teaching them the in-line part of the game and the blocking schemes, especially if they’re not familiar with doing it.

Hockenson has blocked defensive ends and made line calls.

“I think he’s got a step up there from a lot of tight ends,” White said.

Veterans in the tight end room like Jesse James and Logan Thomas have been really good with the young players like Hockenson and fellow rookie Isaac Nauta, lending advice and showing them the ropes, White said. He likes the symmetry within that tight end room, and the talent level. He expects there to be a lot of competition in camp.

Hockenson is likely to be a big part of the offense alongside James. White called Hockenson a grinder, and is looking forward to seeing how he handles himself in the coming days and weeks.

“He is very demanding of himself,” White said of Hockenson. “He puts a lot of pressure on himself. I think that’s a good thing. He wants to do everything exactly the way it’s coached, so if he has the slightest little mistake there, he’ll learn from it, but he’ll get kind of pissed off.”

Training camp is a big learning curve for all rookies, and Hockenson is no exception.

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/what-is-the-biggest-challenge-facing-hockenson-in-rookie-season

Interesting his TE coach with the Lions is former Iowa coach Chris White who Ferentz didn’t retain few years back.

https://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches-roster/chris-white

Reactions: Ree4 and And1Hawk
Starting this year, they're changing it to the ALC and NLC.

Hope TJ can stay healthy and give Detroit the added dimension they were looking for, but with Nagy in charge, the Bears are going to run that division for the next few years.
Naw.....D coordinator gone, cpl players on D gone...they wont have another year like last year on D...

Vikes division...

....and BS on the NFC and AFC changes. You got a link to prove that, then maybe I'll believe ya..

Naw.....D coordinator gone, cpl players on D gone...they wont have another year like last year on D...

Vikes division..

It's possible. I don't see Cousins going out and winning the division without them taking a similar approach as Chicago (or Iowa for that matter). My only rooting interest in that division is wanting to see Nagy do well, except when the Chiefs pay them a visit in week 16.

Reactions: WestIAHawk
Yes enjoy that last place finish in the NFC North
I wouldn’t enjoy a last place finish at all.. “beat downs” of the NFC North in no way, shape or fashion implicate a last place finish. Lions finish 2nd this year. Chicago, Detroit, GB and that other purple team that plays over and up there.

Unfortunately for most national league teams, the rams and saints will battle for national league supremacy.
Supremacy of who gets to let the Vikings play in the Super Bowl, that is.........

Stop not letting Minnesota win the damn Super Bowl. You're welcome.

This comes from an ESPN staff writer, when observing the Lions' training camp:

Thing that caught my eye most out of Lions training camp today: First round pick T.J. Hockenson. He's just very natural catching the ball in the red zone. He can pick the ball off in tight spaces and has the jumping ability to make contested catches in the corner of the end zone. He has already had multiple touchdowns in the first two days of camp.

The related tweet:

yep; KF let him go after the Eno Benjamin debacle
Likely no hard feelings then. That was a line drawn in the sand and he was in direct contradiction and it was a big deal. He knows he ****ed up. Too bad, he was a good recruiter.

Lions are practicing with the Pats today, Tues and Wed before they play their preseason game on Thur.

TJ doing what TJ does.

Watch:

Lions TE T.J. Hockenson is making this look easy
Updated 9:55 AM; Today 9:20 AM

By Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com

ALLEN PARK -- Tight end is supposed to be hard for rookies. T.J. Hockenson is making it look easy.

Asked about his instant chemistry with Matthew Stafford, he made it sound easy too.

“I mean, it’s just football," the Detroit Lions’ first-round pick said. "It’s a route, it’s a catch."

There’s so much more that goes into playing tight end in the NFL, obviously. You have to block as well as catch. You have to be part offensive lineman on one play, and part receiver on the next. You have to line up in-line, and split out, and in the backfield.

That’s why this position is so tough to play out of the gate.

Since 2000, 20 tight ends have been taken in the first round. The average Year 1 production of those 20 first-round picks: 30.4 catches for 339.5 yards and 2.4 touchdowns. Last year, that kind of production would have ranked 24th in catches and 23rd in yards among tight ends. The closest comp was Ricky Seals-Jones, who backed up Jermaine Gresham in Arizona.

So, yeah. This position is hard.

But Hockenson is making it look -- making it sound -- easy.

“A route,” he said. “A catch.”

At its most basic, that really is what the passing game is. And when the guy running that route is bigger than defensive backs, and faster than linebackers, well, that’s called a mismatch.

That’s what Eric Ebron, the last tight end Detroit took in the top 10, was supposed to be. He was bigger than defensive backs, too, and he was faster than linebackers. But he also showed up ill-prepared for the NFL jump, by his own admission. Things snowballed from there, and he only realized his potential in spurts during a turbulent four years in Detroit.

That’s where Hockenson has separated himself from Ebron’s rookie camp back in 2015.

He doesn’t look ill-prepared whatsoever. He’s made mistakes, sure, but he’s just looked like he belonged. He’s not just having a good day, either, or a good week, or even a good month. He’s looked good since he arrived in Detroit. But he’s looked especially good since the start of camp, and done it almost every day.

We’re two weeks into camp, and the man still hasn’t dropped a catchable football. You don’t get any further from Eric Ebron than that.

On Tuesday, for example, he caught three of the five Matthew Stafford passes that came his way. The lone incompletions came when Stafford threw too far inside on a fade and Jamie Collins was able to break up the pass. The other, Hockenson climbed the ladder for a terrific catch in the end zone, but came down with his foot on the back line. It was almost the play of the day.

He caught everything else.

The first came in one-on-ones, when he created separation from Devin McCourty with a simple out route and Stafford led him coming out of the break. Easy.

Hockenson’s next catch came on a flag route during seven-on-sevens. Detroit’s defense hasn’t been able to handle it all camp, and Duron Harmon couldn’t either. He had Harmon on his hip and Stafford threw a dart to his outside shoulder. Harmon had no chance. Easy.

But no catch was bigger than the one Hockenson delivered in the red zone during two-minute drills -- two areas Detroit has spent a ton of time and resources trying to develop this offseason. Both were problems last year. The Lions ranked 24th in red-zone offense, and they won just six games.

In this particular drill, the Lions had moved the ball to the 13-yard line with 7 seconds left. They basically had two shots at the end zone, needing a touchdown. But they would only need one. Hockenson ran a crisp little post route, and Stafford delivered a bullet when he found a soft spot in the end zone. Easy.

Well, it’s the New England Patriots. It’s one of the best secondaries in the league. It’s some of the best linebackers in the league. This isn’t supposed to be easy.

But Hockenson is making it look that way in everything he does.

“I mean, obviously there’s a lot that goes on in a play like that,” Hockenson said. “Jesse went up the middle, I was able to come off him. He got me open, basically, and then Stafford put a ball right off my break. So there’s a lot that goes into plays like that, and not just one guy.”

He’s right, you know. James did help open him up in the end zone, and Stafford did deliver one of his better balls of the day. But someone has to catch the thing too, and the Lions haven’t had a tight end like that -- like that consistently, anyway -- in a long time. And that should be the difference Hockenson makes not just this season, but right away.

“I think he’s a talented player,” Stafford said. “We got a lot of talented players on offense. It’s tough for young guys to step in and make plays early on. We’ve had some guys show up and do that, that’s fun for a QB to have a lot of weapons.”

Note Stafford trying to shift the spotlight away from Hockenson, and you can understand it. He already played through the Eric Ebron years, after all. He saw what the spotlight did to Ebron. No sense in ratcheting up the expectations even further for Hockenson, no matter how good he has looked.

But make no mistake, while Kenny Golladay has been good, and Marvin Jones has been very good, Hockenson looks like the real deal too. That’s been especially true in the red zone, where no one has been able to consistently neutralize him. No one in Detroit, and no one in New England.

Two teams with pretty good defenses, by the way.

Tougher days are surely ahead. The history of rookie tight ends struggling is too long, too obvious, to ignore. This really is a difficult position to play, and Hockenson will struggle at some point. Set your expectations accordingly. But based on everything we’ve seen to this point, everything we’ve heard, perhaps it’s OK to set those expectations a little higher than normal.

“I’m just trying to learn as fast as I can,” Hockenson said. “The biggest thing with this league is how smart people are with the game of football. You have to be as smart, if not smarter, than a 10-year vet that’s done it (at this level) for as long as I’ve been playing football (at all). So it’s cool. I’m just trying to progress throughout this entire camp, and get better every single day.”

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2019/08/lions-te-tj-hockenson-is-making-this-look-easy.html

FJI6DQZN5NBWRLNVG3SNYOS5IY.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: icwestisthebest
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT