ADVERTISEMENT

TEU: TJ breaks NFL TE record in Vikes win

HawkNorth

HR All-State
Nov 24, 2003

Vikings' T.J. Hockenson dominates, upending plans to limit his playing time​

"T.J. was phenomenal," Vikings coach Kevin O'Connell said. The injured tight end admitted he wanted to show everyone he could still play.​

By Andrew Krammer Star Tribune
November 12, 2023 — 7:38pm
08_22cgVIKE111323.jpg

There were a couple of moments during Vikings tight end T.J. Hockenson's historic first half in Sunday's 27-19 win against the Saints in which he struggled to peel himself off the turf at U.S. Bank Stadium and get back into the huddle.

Hockenson entered the game questionable to play because of a painful rib injury suffered in last week's win in Atlanta. Coaches had plans to limit his workload. He instead became the first NFL tight end with at least 10 catches, 125 receiving yards and a score in one half.

"As much as it hurt," said Hockenson, who had 128 yards at halftime, "you just want to go back in and show them that at 80 percent, you can still do this, you know?"

The Vikings offense weathered more injuries. Receiver K.J. Osborn did not play because of a concussion sustained in Atlanta. He cleared the concussion protocol but didn't attend the game as he recovers. Running back Alexander Mattison suffered a concussion in the third quarter and did not return.

Head coach Kevin O'Connell said coaches intended to limit Hockenson by shifting more playing time to tight ends Josh Oliver and Johnny Mundt.

"But T.J. wanted to be out there for everything, and he was out there," O'Connell said, "Made some big blocks in the run game and just all the way around, T.J. was phenomenal."

Hockenson and the Vikings offense cooled after halftime. He finished with 11 grabs for a season-high 134 yards and a score.

"I kind of blacked out," Hockenson said. "It was one of those things where you're just playing, you're focused on every play. The ball keeps coming to you, and I was kind of reading the defenses real well and just feeling it a little bit."

The Saints lost quarterback Derek Carr to a shoulder injury and concussion halfway through the third quarter and cornerback Marshon Lattimore to an ankle injury in the fourth quarter.

Heard on the local sports radio that Dobbs and TJ live in Tennessee... In the last few off-seasons they've gotten reps in during the summer.

Supposedly this familiarity has translated to the field now.... Assuming that's true, what are the odds!?

Dobbs has been great for TJ - a TE is a nice safety blanket. Unfortunately, (Dobb starting) has had a negative impact on my fantastic team as I have Addison for WR and he was just getting started.

What was the record BTW- first half yards?
Doesn't really matter as it's not really a record anyone knew or cared about. Now that data is computerized, they just input parameters and come out with hey it's a record. it generates clicks, but really isn't meaningful beyond that.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Doesn't really matter as it's not really a record anyone knew or cared about. Now that data is computerized, they just input parameters and come out with hey it's a record. it generates clicks, but really isn't meaningful beyond that.
I doubt that would be your attitude if it were YOUR record.

Reactions: northernboarderhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT