ADVERTISEMENT

Today Americans 65 and over account for 90 percent of new Covid deaths

All of us will die at some point. However, many just stopped living for a year or two because they were afraid of dying. My experience is that none of us knows when or where we will die, so being reasonable about risk while living life fully is the better path. Expecting others to forego living their lives so I can hang on a little longer is the height of being selfish, imo.

I never heard anyone say that. Perhaps you can find the quotes for whomever you think said it. I do know that the leader of the GQP, donald trump told his minions they should get vaccinated.
Biden's positive test comes exactly one year to the day when he assured the American public that if you were vaccinated, you wouldn't get the virus. He said this in Ohio during a town hall about the pandemic hosted by CNN's Don Lemon.

- Washington examiner

You must have missed Biden saying this since your head is so far up your ass

Reactions: KFsdisciple
As covid becomes less deadly, the deaths will naturally skew - percentage wise - toward the elderly. But it isn't that covid is now more lethal to those 65 and older, it's that it's now much less deadly to those below 65 years old.

Biden's positive test comes exactly one year to the day when he assured the American public that if you were vaccinated, you wouldn't get the virus. He said this in Ohio during a town hall about the pandemic hosted by CNN's Don Lemon.

- Washington examiner

You must have missed Biden saying this since your head is so far up your ass
Where's the f**king quotes, dickface? You should just GFY, since it's highly unlikely anyone else, even other maga scum, will.

It’s now a guy pandemic of the old

David Wallace-Wells

Americans received their first Covid-19 vaccine doses in December 2020, which means we are now approaching the beginning of the third year of the pandemic’s vaccine phase. And yet hundreds of Americans are still dying each day. Who are they? The data offers a straightforward answer: older adults.

Though it’s sometimes uncomfortable to say it, mortality risk has been dramatically skewed by age throughout the pandemic. The earliest reports of Covid deaths from China sketched a pattern quickly confirmed everywhere in the world: In an immunologically naïve population, the oldest were several thousand times more at risk of dying from infection than the youngest.

But the skew is actually more dramatic now — even amid mass vaccinations and reinfections — than it was at any previous point over the last three years. Since the beginning of the pandemic, people 65 and older accounted for 75 percent of all American Covid deaths. That dropped below 60 percent as recently as September 2021. But today Americans 65 and over account for 90 percent of new Covid deaths, an especially large share given that 94 percent of American seniors are vaccinated.

Yet these facts seem to contradict stories we’ve told about what drives vulnerability to Covid-19. In January, Joe Biden warned that the illness and death threatened by the Omicron variant represented “a pandemic of the unvaccinated.” But that month, in which nearly 85,000 Americans died, the unvaccinated accounted for 59 percent of those deaths, down from 77 percent the previous September, according to analysis by the Kaiser Family Foundation. The share of deaths among older adults that January was nearly 74 percent.

Over the months that followed, the unvaccinated share of mortality fell even further, to 38 percent in May 2022. The share of deaths among people vaccinated and boosted grew significantly as well, from 12 percent in January 2022 to 36 percent in April. Those levels held roughly steady throughout the duration of the summer, during which time just about as many boosted Americans were dying as the unvaccinated. The share of deaths among older adults kept growing: In April, 79 percent of American deaths were among those 65 and older. In November, 90 percent.

As many Twitter discussions about the “base rate fallacy” have emphasized, this is not because the vaccines are ineffective — we know, also from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data, that they work very well. Estimates of the effectiveness of updated bivalent boosters suggest they reduce the risk of mortality in Americans over the age of 12 by a factor of 15 compared to the population of unvaccinated. That is a very large factor.

But it isn’t the whole story, or vaccinated older adults wouldn’t now make up a larger share of Covid deaths than the unvaccinated do. That phenomenon arises from several other factors that are often underplayed. First is the simple fact that more Americans are vaccinated than not, and those older Americans most vulnerable to severe disease are far more likely to be vaccinated than others.
It is also partly a reflection of how many fewer Americans, including older ones, have gotten boosters than got the initial vaccines: 34 percent, compared to 69 percent. The number of those who have gotten updated bivalent boosters is lower still — just 12.7 percent of Americans over the age of 5.

Finally, vaccines are not as effective among older adults because the immune system weakens with age. It’s much harder to train older immune systems, and that training diminishes more quickly. In Americans between the ages of 65 and 79, for instance, vaccination reduced mortality risk about eightfold, compared to the unvaccinated. This is a very significant reduction, to be sure, but less than the 15-fold decline observed among those both vaccinated and bivalent-boosted in the overall population. For those 80 and above, the reduction from vaccination alone is less than fourfold.

That is a very good deal, of course. But it also means that, given the underlying age skew, a twice-boosted 87-year-old shares a similar risk of Covid death as a never-vaccinated 70-year-old. Which is to say, some real risk. If it was ever comfortable to say that the unconscionable levels of American deaths were a “pandemic of the unvaccinated,” it is surely now accurate to describe the ongoing toll as a “pandemic of the old.”

more here

It NOW a pandemic of the old? It has been from the start. The overwhelming majority of Covid deaths are the old and the fat. Diet, exercise and vaccination of the vulnerable is the key. Lockdowns and vaccine mandates for all were a clear failure on the part of government.

Last edited:
Reactions: dandh and Pinehawk
Okay, I do not consider the elderly to be disposable. With that out of the way, what else do you propose other than taking a few moments each day to be sad about the thing that is responsible for one out of 25 deaths among the elderly?
I'm not the guy to ask but if I were involved, I'd certainly want to look at nursing homes and retirement communities. Are we doing anything special to equip or otherwise help in those arenas? If not - and I'm guessing not, but could be wrong - then we should, don't you think?

Are there jobs where more old folks work?

If old folks are more likely to end up in hospitals, we should probably make sure hospitals are particularly well-equipped to handle them. Maybe they already are but, again, I suspect not.

How about community outreach for older folks who aren't in nursing homes, retirement communities, or hospitals?

Are we putting our resources where they are needed? I like to think that good government looks out for all the people. But that doesn't mean treating everybody the same. If people of color are more subject to racist violence, we should probably put more resources there. If school kids are more likely to contract measles, we should put more resources there. If accidents happen more on a particular stretch of road, put more resources there. If the elderly are more likely to die of COVID, put more resources there.

What would you do?

It NOW a pandemic of the old? It has been from the start. The overwhelming majority of Covid deaths are the old and the fat. Diet, exercise and vaccination the vulnerable is the key. Lockdowns and vaccine mandates for all were a clear failure on the part on the part of government.
Really? You thought he was saying it didn't used to kill old folks? Even someone who never read the article shouldn't be that stupid.

So asking others to help protect the elderly against a deadly disease is going too far?

Got it.

USA
USA
USA

Last edited:
Maybe once a person turns 65, they have no more physical contact with anyone. That should help solve this conundrum.

I'm not the guy to ask but if I were involved, I'd certainly want to look at nursing homes and retirement communities. Are we doing anything special to equip or otherwise help in those arenas? If not - and I'm guessing not, but could be wrong - then we should, don't you think?

If old folks are more likely to end up in hospitals, we should probably make sure hospitals are particularly well-equipped to handle them. Maybe they already are but, again, I suspect not.

How about community outreach for older folks who aren't in nursing homes, retirement communities, or hospitals?

Are we putting our resources where they are needed? I like to think that good government looks out for all the people. But that doesn't mean treating everybody the same. If people of color are more subject to racist violence, we should probably put more resources there. If school kids are more likely to contract measles, we should put more resources there. If accidents happen more on a particular stretch of road, put more resources there. If the elderly are more likely to die of COVID, put more resources there.

What would you do?
Since everyone over 65 is eligible for Medicare, how about using that free annual checkup allowed by Obamacare to do comprehensive blood tests to make sure older people have normal levels of vitamins and minerals in their blood. Take that moment to try to get older people more healthy. Educate them on signs of infection and newer treatment options. Educate them on newer vaccine alternatives.

So asking others to help protect the elderly against a deadly disease is going too far?

Got it.

USA
USA
USA
Vaccines don’t make folks less likely to get the virus, it doesn’t prevent one from spreading it simply lessens the symptoms for those that are vaccinated. Forcing children to get vaccinated if they wanted to go to school doesn’t make sense, firing people from their jobs and kicking over 8,000 armed servicemen and women out of the military for not waning to get vaccinated doesn’t make sense. Hence, all those mandates have all been repealed because they were wrong in the first place. Me getting vaccinated or not doesn’t affect anyones health but mine.

What would you do?

I know people (and live through marriage with one) that work in healthcare, nursing homes, in home care, and around the elderly. So much of what you're asking for is in place. Like bigly. TONS of outreach to patients and members in nursing homes and retirement communities. Masking and dedicated covid beds / equipment / procedures still around in hospitals. TONS of education and outreach to employees in both settings. TONS of modified procedures, methods, and processes (+the cost of equipment to support them) to limit exposure. We have and are continuing to spend millions upon millions of dollars to try to support and educate the elderly and millions of man hours to enable the people working around and caring for them.

The elderly will always be a vulnerable population. I've never seen the institutions and the people around them do more to protect them than what has and continues to be done with Covid. And you can't forget that there are a decent percentage of elderly ignoring or outright mocking these mitigation activities - so they're not helping with the death count.

Add it all up, and I personally think we've done / we're doing enough. If someone's that scared of it and or dying - there is a formula to protect them that we've all got beat into our heads. Get vaccinated to limit the impact of catching covid (because you will catch it), limit exposure to at risk situations, wear an H95 mask correctly when in crowded situations, social distance, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: artradley
Educate them on newer vaccine alternatives.

Uh....there currently ARE no "vaccine alternatives". There are DIFFERENT vaccines available, and ONLY mRNA vaccines available which were designed against current variants.

Medicines developed against original Covid no longer work well against the current variants. Inclusive of monoclonal antibodies

If you're referring to "HCQ" and "Ivermectin", neither EVER worked against Covid.

Reactions: HawkMD
Vaccines don’t make folks less likely to get the virus, it doesn’t prevent one from spreading it simply lessens the symptoms for those that are vaccinated

It does not "eliminate" the possibility of spreading it.

It DOES lower the likelihood of spreading it, for various reasons, including shorter sickness durations, lower viral loads, and in some cases, antibodies being already attached to viral particles expelled.

I.E.: It LOWERS the R0 of the virus for those vaccinated.

Reactions: NoleATL
Uh....there currently ARE no "vaccine alternatives". There are DIFFERENT vaccines available, and ONLY mRNA vaccines available which were designed against current variants.

Medicines developed against original Covid no longer work well against the current variants. Inclusive of monoclonal antibodies

If you're referring to "HCQ" and "Ivermectin", neither EVER worked against Covid.
You're a piece of work. Get up to date you miserable geezer.

Novavax

Paxlovid & Remdesivir.

Paxlovid & Remdesivir.
These may not be as effective against the newest Covid strains.

Novavax is just another vaccine (which you claim "don't work"). It is also one that is NOT designed against Omicron strains like the mRNA offerings from Pfizer and Moderna are.

The others have not yet been studied against Omicron - ALL of the studies available were performed before those variants emerged.

These may not be as effective against the newest Covid strains.

Novavax is just another vaccine (which you claim "don't work"). It is also one that is NOT designed against Omicron strains like the mRNA offerings from Pfizer and Moderna are.

The others have not yet been studied against Omicron - ALL of the studies available were performed before those variants emerged.

Maybe you should check the CDC website. That's what I checked before I posted.

Maybe you should check the CDC website.
The CDC website says the exact same thing; there aren't any formal studies on how those drugs are holding up against the new variants.

And I'm sure it likewise states that the mRNA vaccines are the ONLY ones that are targeted to the new variants.

Really? You thought he was saying it didn't used to kill old folks? Even someone who never read the article shouldn't be that stupid.

Got it.

USA
USA
USA
If you don’t wear a mask and only follow the arrows on the aisles in the grocery store you want to kill grandma right?

Vaccines don’t make folks less likely to get the virus, it doesn’t prevent one from spreading it simply lessens the symptoms for those that are vaccinated. Forcing children to get vaccinated if they wanted to go to school doesn’t make sense, firing people from their jobs and kicking over 8,000 armed servicemen and women out of the military for not waning to get vaccinated doesn’t make sense. Hence, all those mandates have all been repealed because they were wrong in the first place. Me getting vaccinated or not doesn’t affect anyones health but mine.
Firing HCWs during the height of a pandemic doesn’t make much sense either. Rule number 1: during a deadly pandemic firing overworked and understaffed healthcare workers doesn’t make sense. So let’s do it!!!!

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
The CDC website says the exact same thing; there aren't any formal studies on how those drugs are holding up against the new variants.

And I'm sure it likewise states that the mRNA vaccines are the ONLY ones that are targeted to the new variants.
No studies huh? Maybe one of these days the experts and scientists will actually do some of that science shit instead of just crying like babies.

Mostly wrong.

I'd explain, but what's the point?

Paxlovid & Remdesivir.
Paxlovid is a good example of a treatment that could be especially helpful for the elderly. So it would make sense to make sure it's readily available.

Technically, if I test positive at home, I should head to my local CVS, get retested, and immediately get Paxlovid.

How confidant am I that it would go that smoothly? Not very. But it should.

So now you're going to pretend that Biden doesn't make gaffes?

People who were following the science as we knew it then knew what he meant.
So when the president said if you have the vaccine you aren’t going to get Covid, everyone knew what he meant? Sounds fishy…….perhaps he simply didn’t know what he was talking about and disseminated false medical information to the public?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT