ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Brands Media Day Presser Transcript

While psu is the best at using the money they have and do have a few negative recruiting tactics they are down on the list for the negativity towards Iowa. Oky State and Uni are not exactly positive about Iowa. Then there is Dresser who is probably #2 on the list for negative recruiting towards Iowa. Then the biggest back stabber towards Iowa is Tom Ryan. Getting Lee to Iowa City probably saved the program to falling to where isu is now. But as crazy as it sounds getting Mark Perry back on board was just as important. Mark brings a little different attitude and creates a little different atmosphere. Good things are coming!

Minnesota fan here, first post on your forum, not a troll. I'm a big Spencer Lee fan and I really hope he wrestles this year. I love that he wants to go right out of the gate. He could take the redshirt and wait for Tomasello to graduate to free up a loaded 125 but he wants to go now. Great kid, great fire. You got a good one.

Minnesota fan here, first post on your forum, not a troll. I'm a big Spencer Lee fan and I really hope he wrestles this year. I love that he wants to go right out of the gate. He could take the redshirt and wait for Tomasello to graduate to free up a loaded 125 but he wants to go now. Great kid, great fire. You got a good one.

Very few of those types...elite and just love to wrestle. Y’all got one in Gable.

One message, 4 (and counting) likes. Welcome to the cesspool!

Reactions: Huck
Very few of those types...elite and just love to wrestle. Y’all got one in Gable.

I'm sooo thankful he signed. After losing Hall and Berge to Penn St., I was very concerned that he would follow their footsteps. Even with Bobby being on the roster, I thought the lure of PSU's success might be too much. Still getting over the loss Kerkvliet to OkSt but he simply got too big. He's going to be outstanding for them.

While psu is the best at using the money they have and do have a few negative recruiting tactics they are down on the list for the negativity towards Iowa. Oky State and Uni are not exactly positive about Iowa. Then there is Dresser who is probably #2 on the list for negative recruiting towards Iowa. Then the biggest back stabber towards Iowa is Tom Ryan. Getting Lee to Iowa City probably saved the program to falling to where isu is now. But as crazy as it sounds getting Mark Perry back on board was just as important. Mark brings a little different attitude and creates a little different atmosphere. Good things are coming!

Don't doubt that a bit about Dresser and Ryan.

To where ISU is? Really? Placing outside the top anything? comeon.

SPENCER LEE! What a shot in the arm for our program this kid is going to be. I know it takes more than one guy, but when your 125 sets the tone, the whole team feeds off it.....(Gilman, Ramos, McDonough)....the kid is special on and off the mat. Let’s get him out there!
Watch Lee come out this year and take out Tomasello in the semis...That'd be three years in a row a Hawk (3 different ones) would deny Nato a title.
SMH. I'd feel bad for Nate but at the same time be chuckling to myself.

Watch Lee come out this year and take out Tomasello in the semis...That'd be three years in a row a Hawk (3 different ones) would deny Nato a title.
Then you wouldn’t feel bad. It’s really ok if you don’t..

Reactions: Sandor45

Ahhh, don't you wish that evil upon tomasello ricky bobby! I already had to watch that for two years then watch the reincarnation of brooks v Martin on the football field last Saturday. Because of this, I am no longer confident in win #5 in the dual meet series for the buckeyes cause I don't know what team Ryan will have out for it in January.

Also would like to extend a tip of the cap and a wave for the new football tradition you guys started, very impressive. Thought iowa was a classy place when I visited it for big ten championships and this only cemented it.

Last edited:
Some good comments by Tom that give me more confidence about his ability to right the ship, starting with recognition of past recruiting errors and the reality of the current landscape. (I suspect some Perry influence there.) Still a little too much "the way they are coming to work every day" blah-blah-blah. I've been hearing about intestinal fortitude for the past seven years. Show me a f-ing team title.

I strongly suspect Lee is going to be the sparkplug that reignites Iowa Wrestling the same way Tom & Terry reignited it in the late '80s. I want Lee and Downey in the lineup this season so we don't drift further down the pecking order in the meantime. This is a critical time for the program. Momentum must begin this year.
I sure hope so. But its really easy for Tom Brands to say "Iowa has adapted" and for him to believe it, when it may not really be the case. We still hear about Iowa getting in contact with kids too late or not at all. We still hear about or observe Iowa not having a plan and we still see empty weights of need. I do want to see Spencer Lee on the mat, but if he gets on the mat and gets injured again this season--it will be a huge negative for the program. Obviously doctors will have to clear him, but wrestling is hard on the ACL and the more time the better. Its one of those things like Brandon Snyder that we would never know if it would have torn next year, had he not played. But, would still be a huge negative on the program. We are supposedly spending millions on a new facility---spend $100k on a recruiting coordinator. That will help Iowa just as much.

Also, I’m sorry but the biggest threats to PSU right now are tOSU and OSU. I know that hurts but it’s true. Ironically because they too are whipping Iowa in the recruiting battle.

Thanks. I take the long view and subscribe to the ferris wheel theory of life. Kind of like when Trump said that McCain wasn't a war hero and then McCain cast the deciding vote against the repeal of Obamacare. (This isn't political commentary on what the right decision was. Just saying that payback is a bitch.) You can't talk smack forever and not have it bite you in the a@@.

It appears way too many on here want Spencer to wrestle simply so they can see him and are impatient to do so. Spencer should do what he, along with his parents and the coaching staff think is best for the long term. If that’s wrestling this year, go for it. If it’s giving his knee another year to heal and for him to strengthen the surrounding area then that is what he should be doing.

Last edited:
Is this actually true, though?

Spencer will be 9 months post-operation when the Midlands arrive - nearly 12 months at the NCAAs. That's in the maybe zone. The doctors are not in agreement on when maximum recovery occurs - anywhere from 6 to 12 months. I'd like to see him wait for next year.

Here's a typical quote from an orthopedic surgeon:

Return to sport is a very difficult topic in this patient population. There is no clear cut answer. Despite some success in early return to sport, most surgeons if questioned either privately or on the podium at a meeting, will admit that there is some increased risk returning to a Level I sport before 9-12 months. In my opinion, many studies support this. At the recent AOSSM meeting in Seattle, a symposium paper was presented on “pediatric” ACLs. This included patients up to 17 years old. With careful analysis, they noted that significant neuromuscular control deficits persisted past 11 months in almost all patients. They strongly cautioned against returning to sport prior to these deficits being corrected. If an ACL tear is devastating to a teenager, a re-tear is exponentially worse. I discuss all of this with the patient and their family. I encourage them to try and give it 9-12 months. https://www.howardluksmd.com/orthop...s-acl-reconstruction-5-professional-opinions/

Last edited:
Spencer will be 9 months post-operation when the Midlands arrive - nearly 12 months at the NCAAs. That's in the maybe zone. The doctors are not in agreement on when maximum recovery occurs - anywhere from 6 to 12 months. I'd like to see him wait for next year.

Here's a typical quote an orthopedic surgeon:

Return to sport is a very difficult topic in this patient population. There is no clear cut answer. Despite some success in early return to sport, most surgeons if questioned either privately or on the podium at a meeting, will admit that there is some increased risk returning to a Level I sport before 9-12 months. In my opinion, many studies support this. At the recent AOSSM meeting in Seattle, a symposium paper was presented on “pediatric” ACLs. This included patients up to 17 years old. With careful analysis, they noted that significant neuromuscular control deficits persisted past 11 months in almost all patients. They strongly cautioned against returning to sport prior to these deficits being corrected. If an ACL tear is devastating to a teenager, a re-tear is exponentially worse. I discuss all of this with the patient and their family. I encourage them to try and give it 9-12 months. https://www.howardluksmd.com/orthop...s-acl-reconstruction-5-professional-opinions/

Thank you, info much appreciated. Appears there is a maximum recovery at some point, and looks like 9-12 months is a comfortable guess. I have no medical knowledge of just about anything, but from reading that it looks like they can see/find those "neuromuscular control deficits" and advise their patients accordingly. So someone who doesn't have that knowledge wouldn't be able to make any sort of reasonable conclusion about whether it is "too early" or not for a specific person.

Here's a typical quote an orthopedic surgeon:

I imagine it is very much a case by case basis with knee injuries and the severity of the damage to the ligaments.

It appears way too many on here want Spencer to wrestle simply so they can see him and are impatient to do so. Spencer should do what he, along with his parents and the coaching staff think is best for the long term. If that’s wrestling this year, go for it. If it’s giving his knee another year to heal and for him to strengthen the surrounding area then that is what he should be doing.

But see your post completely implies that waiting will have a medical advantage, when that doesn't appear to be true, or at the very least we have no idea from outside those conversations. I would guess that all of us on this board would want him to wait - if that is medically advisable. Those wanting him to wrestle, imo, are believing that he is medically approved, and that waiting won't more "heal or strengthen the surrounding area." His medical issues aren't the only reason he would redshirt.

How about having their marketing departments put together high dollar and well produced video productions of cherry picked breakdowns of Iowa guys careers so they can sit down with recruits and specifically show them why they shouldn't go to Iowa. What this tells me is that these coaches see Iowa as their biggest threat and will do about anything to stop us from getting reawaken. They know if Iowa gets the right guys to go there that the Brands will start out coaching them like they did time and time again at their time in Ames.

It is no wonder the crooked one blew a gasket and berated him when Spencer told him he was going to Iowa. He knew that a bunch of intel and tactics were going to come back to bite him. It is also no wonder he does his best to not let any of the guys he is recruiting take a visit to Iowa. That along with he doesn't want even more of these recruits telling other coaches what kind of "packages" they are getting offered.

As soon as Spencer committed to Iowa, Bael started contacting DeSanto immediately to coach him how to beat Spencer at State. Even though he knew DeSanto was going elsewhere for college he had enough vengeance to negatively go after Spencer. Good guy over there in State College.

Reactions: MVPFAN and Dagboi
But see your post completely implies that waiting will have a medical advantage, when that doesn't appear to be true, or at the very least we have no idea from outside those conversations. I would guess that all of us on this board would want him to wait - if that is medically advisable. Those wanting him to wrestle, imo, are believing that he is medically approved, and that waiting won't more "heal or strengthen the surrounding area." His medical issues aren't the only reason he would redshirt.
My post in no way implies a medical advantage, other than Spencer and his parents should be the ones to decide if there is one as each extra month between 8-12 means it’s less likely that there will be a reacurrence. However, my post did not mention that fact. My post stated that it was Spencer and his family along with the coaching staff that would make the ultimate decision and would not or should not be that the fans are impatient to watch him wrestle.

Last edited:
Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
My post in no way implies a medical advantage, other than Spencer and his parents should be the ones to decide if there is one as each extra month between 8-12 means it’s less likely that there will be a reacurrence. However, my post did not mention that fact. My post stated that it was Spencer and his family along with the coaching staff that would make the ultimate decision and would not or should not be that the fans are impatient to watch him wrestle.

No medical advantage, except for the medical advantage you are posting about. I think we come from the same place. We don't know, and it should be up to them to take the knowledge and advise and apply it how they see fit.

Really?

I, as a Hawkeye fan, DEMAND to have input in Spencer's recovery process. There is no room for negotiation on this!

We don’t care about his health. We just want to be entertained. He wouldn’t be the first AD to walk with a limp.

As soon as Spencer committed to Iowa, Bael started contacting DeSanto immediately to coach him how to beat Spencer at State. Even though he knew DeSanto was going elsewhere for college he had enough vengeance to negatively go after Spencer. Good guy over there in State College.
Yup, and if Iowa pulls Spencer's shirt, Sanderson will immediately contact Suriano, to coach him up to beat Spencer, for vengeance! Wait.........

He is an ego lunatic. I have no doubt he got involved with Teske just to show he could. The PA guys like Kem or Young that he did not want he did not care about but for Lee a guy he really wanted to not pick him really got to him.

source???

The part where Tom talks about negative recruiting, and referring to a "portfolio of gold" and a "folder" about 2 inches thick from Lee's father regarding the negative stuff against Iowa by 3 "you know who's" is a bombshell to me.

Brands admits he kind of didn't care about all the external noise, but now he does.

It's always been obvious on themat forum. There are a handful of dedicated PSU trolls, who regularly post anti-Iowa any and everything. They go after coaches, wrestlers, the school, and the fans. Perpetuating stereotypes, blowing up minor incidents, posting video captures to mislead, digging up any kind of minor brush with the law, and keeping it talked about. Metcalf's mental health, McD's headgear, Ramos behavior, Slaton's shoplifting incident, Gilman's behavior, St J's behavior....you name it... all fodder for these jackals. It seems more about flaming than any kind of give and take wrestling discussion.

So now, it appears some coaches/recruiters have sunk to that level. There must be some real garbage being hurled our way by opposing coaches, for Brands to come out and say what he did. Cael wasn't specifically named, but it wouldn't surprise me, given the whole "f**n" schtick he seems to have everyone there saying.

.... We are supposedly spending millions on a new facility---spend $100k on a recruiting coordinator. That will help Iowa just as much.

Maybe we need to spend $100k on a "having fun" coordinator.

Wow!

I haven't seen a single person want Spencer to wrestle unless he is cleared. There is no reason to argue among ourselves. I already told everyone he is likely to wrestle this year if he is healthy and at a championship level at Midlands.

Spoons sources are off like usual. Carl is a big negative recruiter against Iowa. Plus he loves bullying recruits into not visiting Iowa. He is a cheating scumbag. Tom Ryan is just as bad, but he hides in Carls shadow.

I haven't seen a single person want Spencer to wrestle unless he is cleared. There is no reason to argue among ourselves. I already told everyone he is likely to wrestle this year if he is healthy and at a championship level at Midlands.

Spoons sources are off like usual. Carl is a big negative recruiter against Iowa. Plus he loves bullying recruits into not visiting Iowa. He is a cheating scumbag. Tom Ryan is just as bad, but he hides in Carls shadow.

What are your sources on Cael being a negative recruiter?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT