ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Brands receives contract extension

Who are 6 guys who won't be the next Iowa Wrestling HC Aaron?
Obviously not after a 7 year contract extension but if it weren’t for that, why wouldn’t they be interested? 800k a year wouldn’t pique their interest? Or is it that they aren’t fans of Iowa? Because I think it was Snyder and dake who spoke glowingly about IC. Or was it JB? Either way, none of them will be now, that’s for sure and that was the point, Aaron.

Just because some of those names you mentioned did OK as wrestlers really has nothing to do with being a Head Coach does it?
And yet, everyone’s dead set on Spencer being the next coach. Great wrestler, but can he coach??? I think he will be great at whatever he does because he’s great at what he does now. Same as those I mentioned. Same as Tom brands and Carl, John smith and so on. How many flops have there been in wrestling as far as great wrestlers go who became head coaches? I have zero doubt JB, dake, snyder or Taylor will be great coaches when and if they decide to coach.

I expect some next level recruiting with that kind of pay out
Right? But what happens when the athlete starts making more than the coach?

Or when a kid accuses a school of sabotaging their NIL worth?

Right? But what happens when the athlete starts making more than the coach?

Or when a kid accuses a school of sabotaging their NIL worth?
What would hypothetically be wrong with Spencer earning more than Tom next year? With NIL, you get what you earn

Reactions: el dub
I almost vomited when I read that the hightest paid employee of the state of Washington is not the Governor or some leading business, political or academic figure. It's Nick Rolovich, the head football coach at Washington State - more than $3 million per year!! I'm guessing this is the same in most states. Talk about skewed priorities in our society!
Diversify your portfolio.

Just because Doctors, Economists, and Professors are making hundreds of thousands through “state” employment, doesn’t mean they aren’t making money elsewhere.

I’m sure Tom is making more money through other avenues as well.

Diversify your portfolio.

Just because Doctors, Economists, and Professors are making hundreds of thousands through “state” employment, doesn’t mean they aren’t making money elsewhere.

I’m sure Tom is making more money through other avenues as well.
Great coaches bring in tons of money

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
I almost vomited when I read that the hightest paid employee of the state of Washington is not the Governor or some leading business, political or academic figure. It's Nick Rolovich, the head football coach at Washington State - more than $3 million per year!! I'm guessing this is the same in most states. Talk about skewed priorities in our society!
Lol. What the he’ll do you care how much the head football coach is paid? None of that salary comes from public funds. It’s100% financed by athletic department revenue. Same as Tom Brands.

It's the free market, technically certain coaches are state employees but not in the traditional sense,

Reactions: Gobblin
A well deserved extention. The Brands brothers are great for wrestling and for Iowa. I’m very impressed with the work they’ve done with DeSantos. He now has good control of his emotions and seems to have a good attitude. I’d bet DeSantos will have success in life after wrestling thank to him going to Iowa.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
Many times in life the truth is painful.
You’re the reason we don’t like PSU fans. You make them all seem like D-bags. Go celebrate that you’re team is beating Iowa on your own board, instead of being an ingrown c*nt hair over here.

I don’t get the constant dickish behavior from a fan base of a team that’s been dominating for 8 of the last 12 years. Yet, I hear all the time about how PsU is in Iowas head. Haha. Actions speak louder than words.

You’re the reason we don’t like PSU fans. You make them all seem like D-bags. Go celebrate that you’re team is beating Iowa on your own board, instead of being an ingrown c*nt hair over here.

I don’t get the constant dickish behavior from a fan base of a team that’s been dominating for 8 of the last 12 years. Yet, I hear all the time about how PsU is in Iowas head. Haha. Actions speak louder than words.
I don't get it either. Did you go to BWI or whatever their forum is called to gloat last year? The thought never crossed my mind, but to each their own I guess.

There are a few reasons why (some) PSU fans still suffer from little brother syndrome despite their program having surpassed Iowa as the gold standard in college wrestling. It might seem petty, and I'd rather have the success that PSU has had, but it is what it is. Here are a couple I can think of:

1. In popular culture, Iowa is still synonymous with college wrestling. So there is the Rodney Dangerfield "no respect" angle.

2. Fan base. No matter how much better the PSU program has been than Iowa over the last decade, Iowa still has a much larger and devoted fan base. There is a reason that CHA is considered the mecca of college wrestling.

Spencer Lee coming to Iowa probably didn't help either. People from PA seem to care more about their high school wrestlers than their college wrestlers. I generally recognize kids by who they compete for in college, but PA fans recognize them by where they went to high school. Doesn't help that most of their top guys are not from PA.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT