ADVERTISEMENT

TOM IZZO

People just need to come to terms with the fact the Big 10 just isn't very good. There is no reason that the Big 10 should ever have more than 1 or 2 teams ranked at any given time. Maybe if the league were treated like its performance they would finally feel motivated to address some of the issues that are at least contributing to the poor play. Crappy officiating being one of them.

Yes I agree B1G is not good. If one agrees with that statement, then one also should conclude that at coach that has a 13 year 55% winning percentage in Big10 play is nothing special.

Reactions: hoythawk
He was complementary of nowell and ksu in his post game presser.

I feel his pain on those thrown up banked 3 pointers.
We are mission central for "it always goes in" at Iowa

Helluva game.
As for recruiting MSU is the blueblood of the BIG, but not in the top 20 recruits blueblood territory dominated by KY,Duke,KU.
This year KY has 4 of the top 7 rated recruits.
MSU has one coming in that is that high-booker but that is not the norm. Izzo rarely gets the "one and done" guys.

Izzo has carried the Big Ten for 20 years. His teams can win shoot outs or slow down ball. They rebound like their lives depend on it. He's a HOF coach that knows how to get teams to peak when it matters. He would never play a 6'5 inch guy who can't dunk or create for others. Which is why he wins and we lose.

That last second desperation bank in 3 pointer heave from the hip was one.
Sure it was. They also scored 98 pts. So if you're going to cry about a few lucky bounces how about not letting the other team score almost 100 pts? In a game w/that many possessions there's bound to be a few plays that don't go your way. Both teams made a ton of huge shots. Michigan State honestly could not have played much better in my opinion. They were limping into the tournament and of course turned it on when it mattered. They lost. And if he didn't like his 7 seed then don't barely go .500 in your league. He's been barely a .500 coach in the league the last 3 years and he's had a ton of talent.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Sure it was. They also scored 98 pts. So if you're going to cry about a few lucky bounces how about not letting the other team score almost 100 pts? In a game w/that many possessions there's bound to be a few plays that don't go your way. Both teams made a ton of huge shots. Michigan State honestly could not have played much better in my opinion. They were limping into the tournament and of course turned it on when it mattered. They lost. And if he didn't like his 7 seed then don't barely go .500 in your league. He's been barely a .500 coach in the league the last 3 years and he's had a ton of talent.
I don't think MSU's defense was poor in that game. KSU hit big contested shot after big contested shot. It was really pretty incredible to watch.

I don't think MSU's defense was poor in that game. KSU hit big contested shot after big contested shot. It was really pretty incredible to watch.
I'm not arguing that. My point is to bring up in your interview that in a game when a team scores 98 that they got a little lucky because they banked in a few from deep is pretty weak. It was the best game of the tournament so far. Followed incredibly by that UCLA-Zags game. Just say hats off to your opponent, they played great, I thought our team fought hard and played great as well. It's not that hard.

I'm not arguing that. My point is to bring up in your interview that in a game when a team scores 98 that they got a little lucky because they banked in a few from deep is pretty weak. It was the best game of the tournament so far. Followed incredibly by that UCLA-Zags game. Just say hats off to your opponent, they played great, I thought our team fought hard and played great as well. It's not that hard.
Yep, it was a weak, unecessary move. You are right, just say hey K-State played great and so did we, was a close game and they won, congrats. I think Izzo is a great coach but he is a whiner. You would think by this point in your career you would not be doing that.

Reactions: littlez
The reason ppl don't like Izzo is that he has won too much. He whines on the court too much. Listening to him, he's right on. Players cannot be criticized anymore and I watched the game, they were out hustled and got pushed around a little bit. He's a great listen and is right on with his takes, IHMO.

Bingo. People want to fawn over Izzo’s NCAA record but forget that he routinely has the best talent and most depth in the Big.

Recruiting Talent is 80% of winning. Izzo is good coach because teams play defense, rebound, and they can play fast or slow pace and he used to have the top talent out of Midwest.

In my opinion Bo Ryan was the guy that did the most with the least.

Recruiting Talent is 80% of winning. Izzo is good coach because teams play defense, rebound, and they can play fast or slow pace and he used to have the top talent out of Midwest.

agreed and I don't think Izzo routinely gets top level talent.

Yeah but he throws more / worse temper tantrums on the sidelines than Fran ever has....

College Hoops Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

40, 25, 3, 49, 17, 26, 36, 12, 5
3, 5, 12 and 17 seem pretty good to me. I'd take 25 and 26 too, hell, I'd take 36 and 40. I can't find this info for Iowa but I feel pretty strongly we are woefully short of these numbers

He worked for one of the all-timers in Jud Heathcote. His teams layed the blueprint that Izzo followed. Defense and physical play.
He looked like a nice old man on the sideline. Grandfatherly. Until he launched into a tirade. Colorful to say the least.

3, 5, 12 and 17 seem pretty good to me. I'd take 25 and 26 too, hell, I'd take 36 and 40. I can't find this info for Iowa but I feel pretty strongly we are woefully short of these numbers
im sure we are but I think people overestimate the talent he gets vs what he does with it. As I scanned through the lists, you be surprised the teams that are consistently top 25 but don't play well. We are generally in the 50-70's. However, we tend to have fewer recruits than most teams, that skews the rankings. Fewer recruits=less points. We tend to hold on to our players, some teams turn over 4-5 kids a year. Fran has had a 31 (last year) and 39, two larger classes. More in line with the number of recruits other teams are taking.

Reactions: icwesthawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT