3. Dan Akroyd
4. Dana Carvey
5. Gilda Radner
6. John Belushi
7 Kristen Wiig
8. Bill Hader
9. Andy Samberg
10. Phil Hartman

The ordering is not precise, but who are the most likely additions, and who would you remove. I will list off a few who didn't make the list because even though they had huge success in their careers, on SNL their on screen time/tenure didn't warrant inclusion. Bill Murray, Tina Fey, and Amy Poehler. Fey and Poehler were amazing on Weekend Update, but were underutilized. Fey was strictly a writer when she joined SNL. Murray's quirky humor didn't work as well for me in sketch comedy.
As far as those who didn't quite make the list: Molly Shannon, Jan Hooks, Mike Myers, and the extremely versatile Darrell Hammond.

Go.

My alltime faves

Aidy Bryant
Will Ferrell
Chris Farley
Bill Hader
Adam Sandler
Kate McKinnon
Amy Poehler
Molly Shannon
Cecily Strong
Kristen Wiig

Reactions: Tunadog
yHV5136.gif

How close am I with this list?
1. Eddie Murphy
2. Will Ferrell
3. Dan Akroyd
4. Dana Carvey
5. Gilda Radner
6. John Belushi
7 Kristen Wiig
8. Bill Hader
9. Andy Samberg
10. Phil Hartman

The ordering is not precise, but who are the most likely additions, and who would you remove. I will list off a few who didn't make the list because even though they had huge success in their careers, on SNL their on screen time/tenure didn't warrant inclusion. Bill Murray, Tina Fey, and Amy Poehler. Fey and Poehler were amazing on Weekend Update, but were underutilized. Fey was strictly a writer when she joined SNL. Murray's quirky humor didn't work as well for me in sketch comedy.
As far as those who didn't quite make the list: Molly Shannon, Jan Hooks, Mike Myers, and the extremely versatile Darrell Hammond.

Go.

You need to better define what you mean by Top Ten. Top 10 funniest ON SNL. Or Top 10 who were in SNL based on their total career.

Because there are some huge names who were on SNL for only a season or two and contributed next to nothing while on the show like Robert Downey Jr, Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, Damon Wayans, Joan Cusack, Jenny Slate, Billy Crystal, Gilbert Gottfried, Randy “Crazy @$$” Quaid, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Janeane Garofalo, Harry Shearer (Mr Burns, Ned Flanders, Principal Skinner, Reverend Lovejoy and a ton of other characters from The Simpsons), Sarah Silverman, David Koechner, Larry David, Stephen Colbert (reports he was rejected are not accurate, he worked as a writer for about half a year), Louis CK, JB Smoove, Conan O’Brien, Bob Odenkirk, and Anthony Michael Hall. Other than Will Farrell and Eddie Murphy that list of barely on SNL actors had better overall careers than any who appeared on a lot of seasons.

This would be my list:

John Belushi
Dan Akroyd
Gilda Radner
Eddie Murphy
Martin Short
Dana Carvey
Phil Hartman
Chris Farley
Will Ferrell
Bill Hader

EDIT: I know Martin Short only did one year, but his one year was better than most long-time members of SNL. He was that good.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFSNOLE
Way too hard to make a top 10 SNL list...but definitely fun to try.

I wouldn't know where to begin though. I love so many of the performers for vastly different reasons.
Like top 10 Beatles songs...5 will make it somewhere in most people’s list. Next 5 will vary from person to person.

I was trying to remember what happened to Phil Hartman. Googled and bummer. Wife scored way too high on beautiful/crazy scale.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Like top 10 Beatles songs...5 will make it somewhere in most people’s list. Next 5 will vary from person to person.

I was trying to remember what happened to Phil Hartman. Googled and bummer. Wife scored way too high on beautiful/crazy scale.
Crazy eyes...wood knot.

You can guess a posters age by looking at their list....
Yeah...I'm not even attempting it. I haven't watched a full show in over a decade and couldn't tell you the name of a single current cast member. What I do know is that the first few years were must-watch tv.

Reactions: TheCainer
Yeah...I'm not even attempting it. I haven't watched a full show in over a decade and couldn't tell you the name of a single current cast member. What I do know is that the first few years were must-watch tv.
The original cast should start off anyone's list. IMO, Akroyd was the best of that group. He was so versatile in the various roles he could play. Garrett Morris was an undersung cast member. There was one skit where he played the cleaning lady at 3 Mile Island and was told to "Uh, go in there and clean up that mess." It was quite funny but I cannot locate it.

The original cast should start off anyone's list. IMO, Akroyd was the best of that group. He was so versatile in the various roles he could play. Garrett Morris was an undersung cast member. There was one skit where he played the cleaning lady at 3 Mile Island and was told to "Uh, go in there and clean up that mess." It was quite funny but I cannot locate it.

could only find this link. Not on YouTube as far as I can tell.

• Love
Reactions: TheCainer
How close am I with this list?
1. Eddie Murphy
2. Will Ferrell
3. Dan Akroyd
4. Dana Carvey
5. Gilda Radner
6. John Belushi
7 Kristen Wiig
8. Bill Hader
9. Andy Samberg
10. Phil Hartman

Go.
  1. Eddie Murphy
  2. Chris Farley
  3. Phil Hartman
  4. Dana Carvey
  5. Chris Parnell
  6. Will Ferrell
  7. Kate McKinnon
  8. Bill Hader
  9. Martin Short
  10. Adam sandler

Last edited:
Can't underestimate Phil Hartman's contributions. He helped save SNL in the mid '80s when the show was faltering big-time. "Saturday Night Dead" and such was being tossed around by critics.

On the set he was apparently known as the glue-guy for his ability to bring any skit together. Also, his Reagan and Clinton were great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT