ADVERTISEMENT

Top College Towns in America

I was being ironical. I've never understood the hype that place gets...it's average at best. I'm sure there are a bunch of guys here (yours truly included) who crank out better BBQ at home
If you are in Ames, hit Cornbread. It’s 100 times better than Horrible Park. If in Luther, hit Whatcha Smokin. Again, 100 times better than that place. These are the only two reasons why Ames was rated this high. Campus is located no where near the best part of old town.

Reactions: Legs94
I was being ironical. I've never understood the hype that place gets...it's average at best. I'm sure there are a bunch of guys here (yours truly included) who crank out better BBQ at home
Careful……I’m willing to totally derail this thread on home BBQ…..

Reactions: BurgHawk87
Oh yes, I assumed you were.

It is big, and that is something.

#5 Ames- It has a very big BBQ restaurant. Likely the biggest in Story County. If it were on the bridge, Ames would be the unanimous #1.

No SEC towns represented in the Top 10? Yeah, a lot of them suck (looking at you, Starkvegas and Dumpaloosa) but Athens might have a thing or two to say about this list. Auburn is rock solid, too.

Many decades ago it was in a little house not far from it's current location. It was good back then. Less volume and they could put more effort in each dish. When they moved to their current location it became just another big run-em in and out fast place.

As far as the town. It is NOT a great college town. The town itself is very disconnected from the college. Doesn't have a college feel at all except for right around campuss. And, yes I know the town. Had an office there for over 20 years.

Reactions: shudaddy
No SEC towns represented in the Top 10? Yeah, a lot of them suck (looking at you, Starkvegas and Dumpaloosa) but Athens might have a thing or two to say about this list. Auburn is rock solid, too.
When Pollard constructed this list, he had just climaxed to thrusting a needle into his voodoo doll of the official that called the FG against Alabama in the 2001 Independence Bowl, no good.

SEC college towns didn’t stand a chance in the moment.

• Haha
Reactions: shudaddy
Have spent tons of time in Ann Arbor and I just don’t see that one either. Wouldn’t be in my top 10

When Pollard constructed this list, he had just climaxed to thrusting a needle into his voodoo doll of the official that called the FG against Alabama in the 2001 Independence Bowl, no good.

SEC college towns didn’t stand a chance in the moment.
Freeze it at 19.22. It was no good.

The below are all great locations IMHO:
Auburn
Athens
Oxford
Gainesville
Fayetteville
College Station (not the prettiest campus but so unique from a culture standpoint, I am biased with kids attending now)
Austin ( a city mind you)
Nashville (city)

Tuscaloosa is decent
Columbia, MO (was there a long time ago but thought it was solid to pretty good)
Norman- not bad, nothing special

Baton Rouge - meh

Some of the others are not great or I have not been to

Last edited:
Reactions: mvhomerl
Ames is a top 10 college town if you are a couple who wants to raise a family in a college town, with an affordable COL and good quality of life.

I’ve never heard anyone say anything about East Lansing. Good or bad. I always assumed it was average at best.
Not remotely close to the top 20 much less top 10. Not even the top half of the traditional B1G

Madison
Iowa City
Bloomington
Ann Arbor (is a whore)
State College
Columbus
Evanston
Lincoln
Minneapolis (not a "college town" per se, mostly a commuter campus)
East Lansing
Champaign
West Lafayette

PAC12 not included nor Maryland and Rutgers. Don't know enough about 'em

Last edited:
Reactions: BirdistheWord
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT