ADVERTISEMENT

Tornado Night

7ZLt.gif
yachtfamilyhero.jpg

Reactions: torbee
OK yeah, honestly, I had heard of a Derecho before that day. We had one blow across southern Iowa City and Johnson County in late May or early June 1998. Winds were only about 110 mph for the most part so not quite as big as the one that hit CR in 2020. Still it was fairly significant. I didn't have power for about a week and we had trees on the ground down the block from me in yards that didn't have trees before. In other words, not a new phenom.
I think it was later in the summer than that. My summer job was at a daycare. Another college kid and myself would take a big vanload of elementary aged kids to parks in the IC area everyday and have them back to the daycare for their parents to pick them up around 4:00. We were at the City Park pool by Hancher and there were some dark clouds build fast to the west. We loaded up the kids, got back to the daycare (on Muscatine), and rode it out in the lower level. Lots of branches and some trees down with some broken windows upstairs. Found out later that a group of similarly-aged kids were in a shelter house at the City Park through the whole thing. That would have been a crazy experience. I think our apartment on S Van Buren was without power for about three days.

• Wow
I think it was later in the summer than that. My summer job was at a daycare. Another college kid and myself would take a big vanload of elementary aged kids to parks in the IC area everyday and have them back to the daycare for their parents to pick them up around 4:00. We were at the City Park pool by Hancher and there were some dark clouds build fast to the west. We loaded up the kids, got back to the daycare (on Muscatine), and rode it out in the lower level. Lots of branches and some trees down with some broken windows upstairs. Found out later that a group of similarly-aged kids were in a shelter house at the City Park through the whole thing. That would have been a crazy experience. I think our apartment on S Van Buren was without power for about three days.

June 29, 1998

Reactions: mthawkeyes
June 29, 1998

I'm pretty sure Kent Park was closed the rest of the summer because of all the downed trees. The kids were bummed because they liked the beach there.

I'd like one HROT member honestly say they had heard of a Derecho before that day. I still don't have my gutters or fence fixed (no hurry). I know CR had it worse, but it was impressive as all get out here in Story as well. I know our Flawda posters have been in hurricanes, but that storm was just like one.

I had only because I lived through one in my hometown (98) and the one in CR (20). I think there have been like 15 reported in Iowa since late 1800s?

I'd like one HROT member honestly say they had heard of a Derecho before that day. I still don't have my gutters or fence fixed (no hurry). I know CR had it worse, but it was impressive as all get out here in Story as well. I know our Flawda posters have been in hurricanes, but that storm was just like one.

I actually had heard of them prior. I'm a weather geek, and back when I had DirecTV I'd hear of them occasionally hit areas around the country. My bet is there's 1-2 of them per year in the US.

Maybe not THAT strong...but my bet is they do occur most every year.

That wasn't the first derecho to hit the CR area, too. We have had one other that I remember since I moved to my current place near Kirkwood in southern CR in 2004. I remember coming home from the cabin one Sunday morning and a lot of trees were down back behind where the Kum & Go off Kirkwood Boulevard is, that housing area just west southwest of it. Maybe late 2000's, somewhere in there. People thought a tornado had blown through, but sure enough ol' Joe Winters stated it was this rare event called a derecho - then showed the storm path flow half across the US it seemed.

As I recall that one sort of began in northwestern Iowa and built up strength across eastern Iowa, then went on to clobber a path all the way down into the southeastern US.

You'd be surprised how many long duration lines of storms occur in the US. Maybe not derechos, but a single line of storms that form west of Iowa and last for over 24 hours, remnants even occasionally making it all the way to the Atlantic Ocean.

Any stories from the Iowa folks this morning? Looks like we'll get here on the eastern side of the Mississippi in an hour.

I actually had heard of them prior. I'm a weather geek, and back when I had DirecTV I'd hear of them occasionally hit areas around the country. My bet is there's 1-2 of them per year in the US.

Maybe not THAT strong...but my bet is they do occur most every year.

That wasn't the first derecho to hit the CR area, too. We have had one other that I remember since I moved to my current place near Kirkwood in southern CR in 2004. I remember coming home from the cabin one Sunday morning and a lot of trees were down back behind where the Kum & Go off Kirkwood Boulevard is, that housing area just west southwest of it. Maybe late 2000's, somewhere in there. People thought a tornado had blown through, but sure enough ol' Joe Winters stated it was this rare event called a derecho - then showed the storm path flow half across the US it seemed.

As I recall that one sort of began in northwestern Iowa and built up strength across eastern Iowa, then went on to clobber a path all the way down into the southeastern US.

You'd be surprised how many long duration lines of storms occur in the US. Maybe not derechos, but a single line of storms that form west of Iowa and last for over 24 hours, remnants even occasionally making it all the way to the Atlantic Ocean.
Correct. There are about 1 or 2 derechos per year in the US. It's more common than people realize. However, the one that hit CR in 2020 was probably one of the strongest derechos on record.

I actually had one go over me while sitting inside a car.

It was Muscatine county, 1997. I was working at the Muscatine Journal and we had some tornadoes go through - the warning had been called off so me and a Photog went out to look for damage which was reported out on Hwy 38. We’re 15 minutes out into the country when the sirens go off again and they reinstate the warning.

This Photog had a scanner in her car, and we hear the emergency center say the tornado is spotted and heading toward us. We pull over on side of a road and then they literally say on the scanner that a spotter at the intersection we were parked at is seeing the funnel on the ground. The car is shaking, hail is pelting it and the sky is a totally weird green color and you can’t see more than 4 inches out the window.

30 seconds of terror or so like that and boom, done. Sun is out 10 minutes later. Surreal as hell.
I rode one out in the car once also.

Was just leaving an interview about 30 years ago.

Skies made it look like 10:00 p.m. at 10:00a.m.

Didn't worry too much about it and just left the parking lot and started heading back to my house in a town about 15 mi away.

Rain got so bad I couldn't see the road so I slowly pulled over and happened to pull right into a gravel road corner.

I inched my way onto the gravel road so I was at least sure I was off the main road and nobody would hit me.

Sat there for a few minutes and the whole car started to shake pretty violently, for a split second I thought about hopping out and jumping in the ditch like they tell you to do, but then the shaking let up, so I just rode it out.

I still couldn't see anything because of the rain in the wind, but that afternoon I heard of a reported tornado right where I was, so I drove back out that way in the early evening - sure as hell there was a nice swath of corn knocked over from the tornado right across the gravel road where I was sitting, I had to have been right beside it or behind it and never even knew it.

I actually had one go over me while sitting inside a car.

It was Muscatine county, 1997. I was working at the Muscatine Journal and we had some tornadoes go through - the warning had been called off so me and a Photog went out to look for damage which was reported out on Hwy 38. We’re 15 minutes out into the country when the sirens go off again and they reinstate the warning.

This Photog had a scanner in her car, and we hear the emergency center say the tornado is spotted and heading toward us. We pull over on side of a road and then they literally say on the scanner that a spotter at the intersection we were parked at is seeing the funnel on the ground. The car is shaking, hail is pelting it and the sky is a totally weird green color and you can’t see more than 4 inches out the window.

30 seconds of terror or so like that and boom, done. Sun is out 10 minutes later. Surreal as hell.

How long did you work for the Muscatine urinal?

How long did you work for the Muscatine urinal?
Just under two years.

We were basically a minor league all-star team at the time, as I had the great Scott Dochterman as a colleague at the time. :)

It was still pretty much a legit newspaper back then - three full-time news reporters, two full-time sports guys and 2 photogs. That is a bigger editorial staff than I had at the Iowa Press Citizen in 2019. Good old Gannett. :mad:

I had. Have gone to southern Canada including the boundry waters multiple times over the years. Was not there when it hit but one hit a number of years ago, is part of their history and the locals still talk about it. Can you imagine being out in the BW when that hit? People were stranded due to all the down trees. Even if you and your equipment were ok.....how to you portage across all that?

Float planes were used to find people and if necessary, extract or resupply them until they could be rescued.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
I had. Have gone to southern Canada including the boundry waters multiple times over the years. Was not there when it hit but one hit a number of years ago, is part of their history and the locals still talk about it. Can you imagine being out in the BW when that hit? People were stranded due to all the down trees. Even if you and your equipment were ok.....how to you portage across all that?

Float planes were used to find people and if necessary, extract or resupply them until they could be rescued.
See my post above. #54

Was July 4th 1999.

Reactions: ghost80
Correct. There are about 1 or 2 derechos per year in the US. It's more common than people realize. However, the one that hit CR in 2020 was probably one of the strongest derechos on record.
After the flood and then derecho My brother is lobbying for Cedar Rapids to change it’s motto to “Mother natures bitch”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Just under two years.

We were basically a minor league all-star team at the time, as I had the great Scott Dochterman as a colleague at the time. :)

It was still pretty much a legit newspaper back then - three full-time news reporters, two full-time sports guys and 2 photogs. That is a bigger editorial staff than I had at the Iowa Press Citizen in 2019. Good old Gannett. :mad:

I think my mom worked for the journal at that time.

Insert joke

Did OP survive?
Oh yeah, I'm still here. Lots of rain, just a little bit of hail, I'll go for a walk later, but from what I've seen there's no local damage, with most of the tornados being in rural areas.
I've seen some pictures of some damn big tornados from around the area.

188912130_10159048408427319_9205568512244553519_n.jpg

190766654_10159414028423979_6771191315022165622_n.jpg

192344384_1947110268772687_164843932692693464_n.jpg

These were all from 3 different cells, taken west and south west of me. The second one would have been the one that tracked closest to McCook, I believe.
Amazing how something can look so beautiful yet so ominous at the same time.

Reactions: Gimmered
June 29, 1998

I was in a YMCA summer program when this hit when I was 11, we were at Jester park and it came in so fast and massive trees started falling and they loaded us all onto a bus, a tree fell and blocked the road out so they turned around and drove us back to these little wooden bathroom sheds with trees going down everywhere. Absolute miracle a tree didn’t hit a bus or any of the 30+ kids.

Since we don’t need more than one weather thread going on, why didn’t just have to turn my furnace back on? It’s cold, and shi**y out there this morning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT