ADVERTISEMENT

Tow No! The Ford F-150 Lightning Struggled in Our Towing Test

Pete Malloy

HR All-American
Oct 14, 2022
Trendy Waterbury Neighborhood - Des Moines

We towed 3100-, 5300-, and 7200-pound travel trailers with Ford’s electric truck and didn’t get very far from home.​

Before you hitch an Airstream to your electric truck and set out to circumnavigate the country, you need to understand this: With the largest available battery pack, a fully charged 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning electric truck has less energy onboard than a regular F-150 with four gallons of gas in its tank.

Consider how far a combustion-powered F-150 would tow at max capacity on four gallons of regular unleaded. Thirty five miles? Maybe 40 if you drive slowly?

Now that you understand where we're starting from, you won't be as surprised to learn that the towing range of the electric F-150 is dismal. In MotorTrend testing, an F-150 Lightning Platinum saddled with a camper that nearly maxed out its 8,500-pound towing capacity couldn't even cover 100 miles. Range improved when we hooked up a significantly lighter trailer, but not by as much as you might expect.

How Much Can The Ford F-150 Lightning Tow?

The Lightning's towing capacity ranges from 5,000 pounds up to 10,000 pounds. To hit the big number, you'll need an XLT or Lariat trim with the optional extended-range battery, and the Max Trailer Tow package that adds more battery- and motor-cooling capacity. To get there, you'll spend at least $75,094.

We performed our testing with the top-shelf $92,669 Platinum trim (full test at this link), which includes the larger battery and has a standard towing capacity of 7,700 pounds. The Max Trailer Tow upgrade, which wasn't equipped on our test truck, raises that to 8,500 pounds.

The Results: How Far Can A Ford F-150 Lightning Tow?

Before we answer the big question, let's set the baseline. While the EPA says the F-150 Lightning Platinum is good for 300 miles, that number is based on a mix of city and highway driving. With only a driver aboard and no trailer in tow, the Platinum achieved a MotorTrend Road-Trip Range of 255 miles.

We had been warned to expect the range to be cut in half when towing, but the effect of towing these travel trailers proved even more significant. With the smallest and lightest trailer, we measured a range of just 115 miles. That figure fell to 100 miles with the middleweight camper and sank to a mere 90 miles with the 7,218-pound Grand Design trailer.

• Haha
Reactions: Flie

We towed 3100-, 5300-, and 7200-pound travel trailers with Ford’s electric truck and didn’t get very far from home.​

Before you hitch an Airstream to your electric truck and set out to circumnavigate the country, you need to understand this: With the largest available battery pack, a fully charged 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning electric truck has less energy onboard than a regular F-150 with four gallons of gas in its tank.

Consider how far a combustion-powered F-150 would tow at max capacity on four gallons of regular unleaded. Thirty five miles? Maybe 40 if you drive slowly?

Now that you understand where we're starting from, you won't be as surprised to learn that the towing range of the electric F-150 is dismal. In MotorTrend testing, an F-150 Lightning Platinum saddled with a camper that nearly maxed out its 8,500-pound towing capacity couldn't even cover 100 miles. Range improved when we hooked up a significantly lighter trailer, but not by as much as you might expect.

The Lightning's towing capacity ranges from 5,000 pounds up to 10,000 pounds. To hit the big number, you'll need an XLT or Lariat trim with the optional extended-range battery, and the Max Trailer Tow package that adds more battery- and motor-cooling capacity. To get there, you'll spend at least $75,094.

We performed our testing with the top-shelf $92,669 Platinum trim (full test at this link), which includes the larger battery and has a standard towing capacity of 7,700 pounds. The Max Trailer Tow upgrade, which wasn't equipped on our test truck, raises that to 8,500 pounds.

Before we answer the big question, let's set the baseline. While the EPA says the F-150 Lightning Platinum is good for 300 miles, that number is based on a mix of city and highway driving. With only a driver aboard and no trailer in tow, the Platinum achieved a MotorTrend Road-Trip Range of 255 miles.

We had been warned to expect the range to be cut in half when towing, but the effect of towing these travel trailers proved even more significant. With the smallest and lightest trailer, we measured a range of just 115 miles. That figure fell to 100 miles with the middleweight camper and sank to a mere 90 miles with the 7,218-pound Grand Design trailer.

Not ready for prime time.

The goal shouldn’t be to electrify towing vehicles. The goal should be to electrify the commuter vehicles that people do most of their daily driving or “local” commercial vehicles like delivery vans. Things that typically do <150 miles a day.

We should be trying to get an electric car in every two car garage. Families can keep an ICE vehicle for long road trips, towing, etc. But if we could cut down on daily commuting gas by having 1/3 or more grocery getters and daily drivers be electric, it would be noticeable.

It's a weird, moving comparison in the article.

"...a fully charged 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning electric truck has less energy onboard than a regular F-150 with four gallons of gas in its tank.

Consider how far a combustion-powered F-150 would tow at max capacity on four gallons of regular unleaded. Thirty five miles? Maybe 40 if you drive slowly?"

Then goes to the actual numbers:

"That figure fell to 100 miles with the middleweight camper and sank to a mere 90 miles with the 7,218-pound Grand Design trailer."

So the actual number is actually double their Primus point of reference in the article? Is still not great, but it's disingenuous to say 35 or 40, then later move to ~2.5x that number.

No need to line the Saudis pockets as we have enough fossil fuel in North America to last 400 years.

Except it doesnt work that way and either you know it and are being coy or you are ignorant. Who knows?

If you take away the importance of oil you take away the Saudis power you take away Russias power.

I want to crush those two for good. Or you down with them Pete? Work for them do you?

In a Troll Farm in Minsk?

The goal shouldn’t be to electrify towing vehicles. The goal should be to electrify the commuter vehicles that people do most of their daily driving or “local” commercial vehicles like delivery vans. Things that typically do <150 miles a day.

We should be trying to get an electric car in every two car garage. Families can keep an ICE vehicle for long road trips, towing, etc. But if we could cut down on daily commuting gas by having 1/3 or more grocery getters and daily drivers be electric, it would be noticeable.
Yep. The goal is to reduce the bad results that are already showing up with regular and devastating effects. This whine about not towing xyz is distracting and tiresome.
I wish for our grandkids to still be able to experience glaciers, rain forests, Spring and Fall weather, clean water and air.
Pissing around and whining is wasting valuable time and energy.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Yep. The goal is to reduce the bad results that are already showing up with regular and devastating effects. This whine about not towing xyz is distracting and tiresome.
I wish for our grandkids to still be able to experience glaciers, rain forests, Spring and Fall weather, clean water and air.
Pissing around and whining is wasting valuable time and energy.
Until China, Russia, and India get onboard nothing you do will offset what they do on a daily basis except give you a warm fuzzy feeling.

• Haha
Reactions: FlickShagwell
Until China, Russia, and India get onboard nothing you do will offset what they do on a daily basis except give you a warm fuzzy feeling.
Very unrealistic thought. If there is a fire, adding fuel to it makes it burn hotter.
Pointing at someone else being an asshole doesn’t mean that suddenly you aren’t one.

So desperate to hold on to the ICE. Bizarre.

I’ve always said if we had been using EVs all these decades, then someone came along with an ICE vehicle and explained how it worked; how you would have to pump gas every couple hundred miles no matter what, the noise, the smell, the low acceleration, the oil changes, the transmission, the catalytic converter, etc. people would tell them to GTFO right now.

I don’t think these will be replacements for people towing large loads regularly….at least not yet….but this obsession to label them as garbage based on things like this is bizarre.

Not every vehicle is for everyone? I mean do we just say the gas F-150’s are garbage because they can’t beat a Corvette off the line??

As someone who uses my truck to go to Lowe’s and pick up/move stuff around my yard….but has never actually pulled anything, the Lightning would be fine for me.

I’d love to see Honda find a way to make an electric Ridgeline pickup. Would be a great use case. Most people don’t use those for any serious towing, I’ve never towed with mine, but they would be great for the weekend warrior and the mid-size would be better for commuters squeezing out mileage.

I’d love to see Honda find a way to make an electric Ridgeline pickup. Would be a great use case. Most people don’t use those for any serious towing, I’ve never towed with mine, but they would be great for the weekend warrior and the mid-size would be better for commuters squeezing out mileage.
That is the one I am waiting for. My Honda hybrid has been solid, wifey’s CRV as well.
If, when I need something big time moved or towed, I will find an alternative… rent, borrow, etc…

I don’t think these will be replacements for people towing large loads regularly….at least not yet….but this obsession to label them as garbage based on things like this is bizarre.

Not every vehicle is for everyone? I mean do we just say the gas F-150’s are garbage because they can’t beat a Corvette off the line??

As someone who uses my truck to go to Lowe’s and pick up/move stuff around my yard….but has never actually pulled anything, the Lightning would be fine for me.

A truck should be able to do "truck stuff"...

Again, this is not ready for prime time.

A truck should be able to do "truck stuff"...

Again, this is not ready for prime time.
Are you talking about the majority of pickup drivers, who basically use them for transportation, (like you would) or folks using them for ”heavy” work?
The choice of products is pretty clear. Don’t pretend every pickup owner does “truck stuff” Mr. CRV.

Truth. The price of the Lightning has bumped up, but still interesting.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Are you talking about the majority of pickup drivers, who basically use them for transportation, (like you would) or folks using them for ”heavy” work?
The choice of products is pretty clear. Don’t pretend every pickup owner does “truck stuff” Mr. CRV.

If the manufacturer rates it for 8,500 pounds, you would expect it to be able to tow that for more than 100 miles. That's ridiculous.

*Sponsored by GM

If the manufacturer rates it for 8,500 pounds, you would expect it to be able to tow that for more than 100 miles. That's ridiculous.
Does the manufacturer state your claim? Or is it you being you?
What does it matter to you? You don’t tow big loads.
Hauling that load across town rarely is one thing. Those doing it for pay won’t buy that ride. Don’t be so silly. Nobody buys a half ton pickup to regularly haul 8,500 #s, rookie.

Does the manufacturer state your claim? Or is it you bring you?
What does it matter to you? You don’t tow big loads.
Hauling that load across town rarely is one thing. Those doing it for pay won’t buy that ride. Don’t be so silly.

The only "big loads" in the house are handled by Mrs. Trad, and the mailman.

Reactions: billanole
True, but to be fair, when i see stuff like this, i'm always interested in the fine print. Do they say how far you can haul an 8500 lb RV/camper for?, under what conditions, etc.

The sticking point in the technology - two really; are 1) improving the battery lifespan/efficiency for a vehicle. that's still in it's infancy really from a tech development standpoint and only really have car companies started to work on them consistently. 2) availability of charging stations. As someone said above, 100% EVs are best-suited now for people who might want them for commuting inside a fixed area. They're considerably less suited for people who would use them to travel, or go places where charging stations aren't readily available, as well as how long it might take to completely charge a battery.

I think we'll get there...eventually, and when we do, I think it'll be better for the environment, and I'm fascinated to see how it might impact the rest of the world, if EVs become competitive if not superior to traditional cars. How does this impact relations between the rest of the world and OPEC? Does Russia get screwed as well if reliance on gas drops dramatically (and obviously this is long-term, DECADES out for sure) Does this change things with China? and so on.

Not at current prices.
EVs will look even better if we boycott foreign oil markets, entirely, and rely only on a US-based commodity.
Recent history has shown that if you open up drilling and exploration that oil prices fall dramatically. Biden and his anti fossil fuel cronies are the reason inflation is out of control.

• Haha
Reactions: blhawk and Kelsers
No it is an article by Motor Trend Magazine.

You greeners will stop at nothing to sell your medicine show about how great EV's are.

There’s a lot to like about the potential of EVs and what they can do already…but it’s also true that they’re not ready for prime time yet.

Recent history has shown that if you open up drilling and exploration that oil prices fall dramatically. Biden and his anti fossil fuel cronies are the reason inflation is out of control.

This narrative conveniently ignores that there are thousands of drilling permits that are currently going unused; as well as the fact that OPEC just drastically cut oil production for no good reason.

Not to mention that inflation has been slowly declining the last several months. Still high of course but hardly “out of control “

*Sponsored by GM

My truths cause you to lie.

341580707_248910714272262_939552235720332828_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT