ADVERTISEMENT

Tracy

Smith-Marsette struggled with this early in his career, but seems to have straightened it out (knock on wood). I think Tracy will get it figured out.

Ferentz said before the game that the receivers would not wear gloves if it was raining because it makes the gloves slippery. I didn't pay attention, was Tracy wearing gloves yesterday?

Thing is Iowa doesn't throw it down the field enough to warrant the practice needed to make those catches. If only we practiced what we do on the field, then maybe it'd translate.

Thing is Iowa doesn't throw it down the field enough to warrant the practice needed to make those catches. If only we practiced what we do on the field, then maybe it'd translate.

I'm going to sound like a big Richard here, and I don't really mean to, but if a D1 coaching staff can't find time to practice EVERYTHING, including things that may not happen very often, then they shouldn't be coaching.

Has shown he can be a heck of a playmaker but his drops yesterday were big. Also had several drops throughout the year. If he works on this and improves I think he will become a star.

ISM had a lot of drops and fumbles when he was a freshman too.

I think the kid is going to be a fabulous wide receiver at Iowa for years to come.

Smith-Marsette struggled with this early in his career, but seems to have straightened it out (knock on wood). I think Tracy will get it figured out.

Ferentz said before the game that the receivers would not wear gloves if it was raining because it makes the gloves slippery. I didn't pay attention, was Tracy wearing gloves yesterday?
As far as I know he did. But there's two different kinds of skill position gloves: ones with tack for fair to hot weather, and ones that are more porous for cold or rainy weather.
I always found that keeping the ball dry was more important than the hands/gloves, though. It doesn't matter what you wear, if the ball isn't at least mostly dry then there's no way you can catch it.

What is with all the glove talk? Kid cannot catch plain and simple. He has potential no doubt. Where I come from this is called Butterfingers.

Last edited:
One pass there wasn’t a defender near him (crossing route) and he had the defender beat on the dee pass. These are pretty standard pass routes that they would run in practice and in warmups. He’ll get it corrected and will be (is) a playmaker.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
One pass there wasn’t a defender near him (crossing route) and he had the defender beat on the dee pass. These are pretty standard pass routes that they would run in practice and in warmups. He’ll get it corrected and will be (is) a playmaker.
Running routes is one thing, catching a pass deep down the field going full speed is another. I get the feeling Brian runs his practices to focus on minutia like stance, situation, packages, etc and they rarely do any of the stuff that matters

I think his hands are just fine, he just seems to be focusing on making a move rather than securing the ball first. He will put it all together with a little more experience.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Running routes is one thing, catching a pass deep down the field going full speed is another. I get the feeling Brian runs his practices to focus on minutia like stance, situation, packages, etc and they rarely do any of the stuff that matters
I’m calling BS. We’ve all seen videos of them practicing first team offense vs first team defense, If you really think they don’t practice it then you really don’t know what you’re talking about.

Reactions: ThriceHawk
I’m calling BS. We’ve all seen videos of them practicing first team offense vs first team defense, If you really think they don’t practice it then you really don’t know what you’re talking about.
I didn't say they didn't practice it. I said they don't usually take shots down the field so they're not going to be throwing long balls every day at practice. If you've seen it, then I'd like to know how many deep balls are thrown.

He doesn’t know what he’s talking about, and if you’re buying into it, then you don’t either.
You're right. It's much more reasonable to assume this team practices the deep ball every day at practice. That's why Stanley is so good at it, why the receivers are good at it, and the offensive line gives so much time to throw it, and Iowa runs a deep ball on every possession during games.

Come on. You don't have to be an expert, an insider, or genius to know that this team does not practice the deep ball on a regular basis.

He is average. Has been the recipient of a few favorable circumstances this season. He often cannot get open. If OM had his exact opportunities, it would be very interesting to see who'd win out. Martin isn't perfect either. I root for both, but he nearly contributed to a loss. Heavily.
Holy crap what would those circumstances be? Kid is good and will get better!

You are clueless

You're right. It's much more reasonable to assume this team practices the deep ball every day at practice. That's why Stanley is so good at it, why the receivers are good at it, and the offensive line gives so much time to throw it, and Iowa runs a deep ball on every possession during games.

Come on. You don't have to be an expert, an insider, or genius to know that this team does not practice the deep ball on a regular basis.
It’s a real talent to be this ignorant. Congrats.

Tracy will only get better. As it stands, he's already a difference making wideout. His upside is exciting.
Exactly, this thread has been derailed with pedantry. Bottom line, the kid has skills you can’t teach and will only get better from here. The catches will come and they will be electric when they do.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
He stayed on the field tho so I do think the coaches trust him. He will get it worked out. I’m not in the least bit worried.

I will say... I’d like to see Oliver Martin in over Max Cooper... that’s a whole different can of worms tho lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT