ADVERTISEMENT

Traditional HS recruiting - as we knew it - just became mostly obsolete.

HawkBall23

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 6, 2001
One could argue it is more important than ever. Fran has done a good job trading out pieces but his core guys have stuck for several years. That has led to a pretty solid run with minimal nba talent.

One could argue it is more important than ever. Fran has done a good job trading out pieces but his core guys have stuck for several years. That has led to a pretty solid run with minimal nba talent.
While you're not wrong, a ruling/agreement like this just made his and KF's jobs of recruiting and keeping the recruits immensely more difficult.

Main problem will be same as its been for a couple years now; those schools with big time NIL collectives will continue to 'win' and everyone else can only hope to keep their talent around for as long as possible or do the best they can in the transfer portal sweepstakes to replace said lost talent.

While you're not wrong, a ruling/agreement like this just made his and KF's jobs of recruiting and keeping the recruits immensely more difficult.

Main problem will be same as its been for a couple years now; those schools with big time NIL collectives will continue to 'win' and everyone else can only hope to keep their talent around for as long as possible or do the best they can in the transfer portal sweepstakes to replace said lost talent.

There are only so many big NIL schools.

Iowa should be able to offer the full 22 million through the school starting next year which is a huge advantage most schools outside the big 10 and SEC won’t be able to match.

There are only so many spots and Iowa will undoubtedly be a buyer in the market.

Minimal NBA talent? I'm not sure about that. Solid run? I'm not sure about that.

I could probably find a lot of teams that have had success in the NCAA tournament that didn't have a NPOTY, a lottery pick, another first round pick, and a second round pick on their roster at the same time. That team couldn't win more than 1 game in the tournament as a 2 seed. And we haven't reached the sweet 16 in Fran's 14 (is that number correct?) years. We've been OK, but I wouldn't say we're solid.

Solid run…..maybe I don’t know what this term means after all

Reactions: peacehawk
...problem will be same as its been for a couple years now; those schools with big time NIL collectives will continue to 'win' and everyone else can only hope to keep their talent around for as long as possible or do the best they can in the transfer portal sweepstakes to replace said lost talent.
Might be part of the plan to cull the herd down to 20-24 schools per conference (P2). Those w/ the resources / desire make the cut, others go to the P3 or 4 level.

Iowa should be able to offer the full 22 million through the school starting next year which is a huge advantage most schools outside the big 10 and SEC won’t be able to match.

There are only so many spots and Iowa will undoubtedly be a buyer in the market.
This is the correct response. The two conferences are separating from all others in this regard. The disparity between the haves and have nots within those conferences however, will continue to exist. Iowa is on a reasonably solid foundation and is somewhere in the middle in this regard and that's not a bad place to be considering the current landscape and uphill battle a lot of other schools are, and will continue, to deal with.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Minimal NBA talent? I'm not sure about that. Solid run? I'm not sure about that.

I could probably find a lot of teams that have had success in the NCAA tournament that didn't have a NPOTY, a lottery pick, another first round pick, and a second round pick on their roster at the same time. That team couldn't win more than 1 game in the tournament as a 2 seed. And we haven't reached the sweet 16 in Fran's 14 (is that number correct?) years. We've been OK, but I wouldn't say we're solid.
This. Enough with defending fran. lol fran and defense in the same sentence.

I doubt that….im not a Fran fan, but I’ll take that wager. Ironically enough that is my overarching problem, people just make assumptions that we are “worse” than many or most and quite frankly Fran has had a nice run. He just can’t win a game in the tournament…🤷‍♂️

And no, I don’t consider making the tournament four or five times in a 10 year period and making it to the elite eight once or the Sweet 16 twice particularly better than making the tournament 10 straight years?

All that shows me is a wildly inconsistent program.

Exactly, and each of them can only have so many recruits. There is a lot of talent out there, which means recruiting guys who are a bit under the radar, and are good fits will be even more important then ever, and something that Iowa has been VERY good at under KF.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT