ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Gundy says 'contractual scholarships' could solve NCAA transfer portal issues

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
More than four years since its implementation, the NCAA transfer portal still gives Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy pause. Gundy, who enters his 19th season at the helm in Stillwater, made it clear with reporters earlier in the week there's still a Wild West-like element with the portal that he's not fond of, and the emergence of name, image and likeness (NIL) isn't making problems any easier to solve. Gundy, in his spiel, made particular note of the challenges the portal brings with roster management, noting the desire for "contractual scholarships" to curb those issues.

"Well, you got several issues there," Gundy told reporters when asked about potential portal modifications. "One, you have federal lawmakers making decision, not the NCAA, and you know as well as I do — well I don’t know if you do, I read a lot of politics, but lobbyists and things happen for a reason. And that's just the way it is. You're not going to control them. They're going to control you. And until we get contractual scholarships in high school recruiting the portal is never going to settle down. For example, young men should be able to sign a one-, two-, three- or four-year scholarship. That's their choice. Whatever they sign, that's what they're committed to. That's what we're going to now. That's the only way that we are going to have a chance to manage rosters. So, let's just say that at the end of this year I've got 19 guys whose contracts are up. They may be a senior or a freshman. So, if you're a five-star guy, like you're a heavily recruited guy, you might just sign a one-year deal and then say, ‘Well, I'm good enough to sign another one-year deal, or I can leave if I want.'

"So, until they do that, we don't really know who's in and out for that upcoming year. So, it's hard for us to balance our numbers. So, I've suggested (modifications) . I don't know if anybody's listened or cares, but high school kids ought to have an opportunity. So, you want a four-year deal? Sign a four-year deal, but you're bound to that four-year contract unless your head coach says he'll sign off and let you go. And then that puts more pressure on the head coach, but at least it gives a young man a chance to leave if he comes in and says, ‘Coach, I'm not good enough to play here. I want to go to this school.’ I sign off and let him go. Or whatever reason. But that's the only way they're gonna be able to manage numbers in my opinion. That would slow the portal down."

Undergraduate transfers were long forced to sit out one season at their new institution, barring a waiver for immediate eligibility. But the recent implementation of the rule allowing undergraduate athletes to transfer once with immediate eligibility can certainly account for the uptick in transfer portal activity. Gundy went as far as contending that transfer eligibility parameters are now obsolete given transfer athletes are increasingly filing lawsuits against the NCAA in the event immediate eligibility is denied.

"There’s over 14,000 unread lawsuits right now sitting on the NCAA’s desk in San Francisco," Gundy added. "So, every time you try to corral a young man, they're gonna file a lawsuit, and they're gonna give them a waiver and they're out of here. That's just the way it is. And they're not gonna fight that battle. So, we've got several players that are playing this year in the NCAA that are at their third or fourth school. How does that work? They just file a waiver. So, you can't control it. Unless it becomes a contractual situation, you're never going to be able to control the portal."

There were 3,083 FBS players to enter the transfer portal during the 2021-22 transfer cycle, sources said. That was up from 2,646 in 2021-20, 1,692 in 2019-20 and 1,717 in 2018-19.

The NCAA introduced the transfer portal Oct. 15, 2018, providing athletes a path to explore their options. Players do not need to ask permission from their coaching staff in order to transfer. They merely need to request that compliance enter their name. Usually, it takes 24-48 hours for a player to appear following their request. Schools are free to contact a player without restriction once their name appears in the portal.

Does he specify that those contracts would force the school to honor they player's scholarship no matter what? Currently, scholarships are one year agreements, allowing coaches to basically cut/run off anyone they want. The transfer rules only equalize that mostly.

Or does Gundy want the player to be contractually obligated for multiple years, but the team only obligated one year at a time? That's what I suspect.

I was initially pretty leery of the wide open transfer portal, mainly because of situations like Jordan Addison to USC...was afraid of it really crippling 2nd and 3rd tier programs that manage to stay competitive with plus level scouting and development.

However, I don't think in the grand scheme that's been borne out, as those programs seem to benefit as much as they're hurt. Schools that never had a shot at blue chip athletes out of high school are picking them up regularly in the portal when they find themselves logjammed at Alabama and Ohio State. I am not at all convinced the transfer portal is a net drain on mid-tier programs.

"For example, young men should be able to sign a one-, two-, three- or four-year scholarship. That's their choice. Whatever they sign, that's what they're committed to."

...but not us coaches, we should be able to leave for a better deal when/if we want to, as long as someone will pay whatever buyout fee there is.

Coaches, in general, are such scumbags.

How long is this pathetic attempt to try and keep this amateur going to go on?

NIL and the transfer portal.

The NCAA tournament is now a scouting combine for the big programs to rob mid-majors.

There are really about 35-40 Football teams that cant really play this insane money game. Iowa and FSU are two of them. You Florida guys know...USF is a commuter school. (man I had a lot of fun there) Not a football school. If some schools want to stay DIII style like Drake did, thats not a bad thing.

College sports is a grind for players. If they think things might be better for them so be it and good luck.

"For example, young men should be able to sign a one-, two-, three- or four-year scholarship. That's their choice. Whatever they sign, that's what they're committed to."

...but not us coaches, we should be able to leave for a better deal when/if we want to, as long as someone will pay whatever buyout fee there is.

Coaches, in general, are such scumbags.
It’s also totally incompatible with the types of non-compete contracts allowed by law.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Somebody should enlighten Mr Mullet that his program is now a stepping stone for the more marketable ones and to get on board so that the parasites at ESPN and FOX can continue to destroy college football for their own benefit

I’d put in a provision that if the current coach leaves, players can opt out if they choose to.

Not sure if it’s totally workable but I don’t hate this idea.
I know Oklahoma didn’t like it when Lincoln Riley went to USC and took several 4 and 5 star players with him. I‘d be in favor of letting players opt out, but not to the new school their former coach is now at.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT