ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Targets

STEEL125

HR All-State
Dec 2, 2011
Iowa will need to fill several weights next year, any thoughts on who the targets may be? Feel good about 125 (if Drake stays down), 165, 174, 197, and HWT (Assuming Kueter is there). Everything else is kind of up in the air.

125 (If Drake goes 133): Would Ramos consider a change? Surtin (Mizzou), Stanich (Lehigh), Volk (Wyoming).

133: McGonagle/Crookham (Lehigh). Maybe if Crookham has a down NCAA’s he’d look for a bigger program/NIL?

141: Happel (UNI)? Not a ton of obvious options here.

149: Chance Lamer (Cal Poly)

157: Vincent Zerban (Northern Colorado)

184: Didn’t see many options. Maybe Ferrari can go right away?

Thoughts?

Iowa will need to fill several weights next year, any thoughts on who the targets may be? Feel good about 125 (if Drake stays down), 165, 174, 197, and HWT (Assuming Kueter is there). Everything else is kind of up in the air.

125 (If Drake goes 133): Would Ramos consider a change? Surtin (Mizzou), Stanich (Lehigh), Volk (Wyoming).

133: McGonagle/Crookham (Lehigh). Maybe if Crookham has a down NCAA’s he’d look for a bigger program/NIL?

Thoughts?
I’m a Lehigh fan and donor and Stanich wouldn’t leave Lehigh to come to Iowa. No more to say.

Thoughts?
Happel won't leave UNI.

Thoughts?
Lamer will not leave his brothers.

Reactions: grapplefann

Thoughts?
Drake still isn't exactly horsing people at 125, 133 won't be any easier, we don't have AA level guys with the current 133s. 141 is either Block coming off a knee surgery or who knows, lots of questions either way and certainly a drop from Woods. 149 the same fringe AA prospects we currently have unless someone decides to make a big jump. 157 hoping a 165 can cut down or Anthony F, lots of questions. 165 will likely be MC. 174 Gabe. 184 who knows, if Angelo comes he needs to get as lot bigger otherwise Riggins again or Glazier comes back down a weight. 197 either Glazier, AJ or big question mark. 285, part time BK/Hill combo.

Recruit better then begging in the portal isn't as big of a necessity.

I thought that transfers could be the way to close the gap. After ADS and Eierman..and the whiff on best 2023 transfers..and how things are going with Woods, Franck, and Caliendo...that window is closing too IMO.

They need to start producing individual champions.

Drake still isn't exactly horsing people at 125, 133 won't be any easier, we don't have AA level guys with the current 133s. 141 is either Block coming off a knee surgery or who knows, lots of questions either way and certainly a drop from Woods. 149 the same fringe AA prospects we currently have unless someone decides to make a big jump. 157 hoping a 165 can cut down or Anthony F, lots of questions. 165 will likely be MC. 174 Gabe. 184 who knows, if Angelo comes he needs to get as lot bigger otherwise Riggins again or Glazier comes back down a weight. 197 either Glazier, AJ or big question mark. 285, part time BK/Hill combo.

That roster rundown shows just how bad our recruiting has been.

I actually think that if Riggins has to stay at 84 and adds 10lbs of muscle he's going to be a threat to make the blood round next year.
I know, I'm crazy. Just have a feeling about the kid.

I actually think that if Riggins has to stay at 84 and adds 10lbs of muscle he's going to be a threat to make the blood round next year.
I know you are high on him and I appreciate his efforts but he is a long long ways from that right now. Even if he was a blood round level guy that doesn't score much of anything for team points.

Kinda agree, but blood round is maybe 5 pts at Nattys.

Really shows that having Morningstar is a marginal asset.

Reactions: Hawkgma and el dub
Kinda agree, but blood round is maybe 5 pts at Nattys.

Really shows that having Morningstar is a marginal asset.
Blood round is 1.5-2 points plus any bonus.

If Riggins can get to that caliber, it would be a very impressive improvement from what we've seen so far this year. It still won't move the needle at all in the team race. We need to be getting guys that can place, and can place high, up and down the lineup.

I thought that transfers could be the way to close the gap. After ADS and Eierman..and the whiff on best 2023 transfers..and how things are going with Woods, Franck, and Caliendo...that window is closing too IMO.

They need to start producing individual champions.
We thought half the team was going to be here during transfer season. Ferrari also fell through this year.

This year Riggins looks severely undersized at 184. Cause he is by about two weight classes. Plus he just got beat by the guy that finished 9th in the big Ten's last year at 184. I don't see 184 as being any kind of a possibility as far as us getting someone to score any points if that is where Riggins is next year. I like him too... but at his correct weight. Just not sure that the weight will be his for the taking next year at 165 or 174.

Reactions: el dub
We thought half the team was going to be here during transfer season. Ferrari also fell through this year.
It wouldn't have made any difference so I have a hard time getting upset about it. If all of those guys wrestled to their max potential it wouldn't mean a damn thing at BIG or nationals.

There is a massive talent discrepancy between Iowa and PSU. It's been that way more years than not. But fans keep bitching about offense and development.

if football team A signs fifty 5 stars and team B signs 5, nobody would be confused why team A wins more championships.

But with Iowa wrestling it's a debate. I don't get it.

It wouldn't have made any difference so I have a hard time getting upset about it. If all of those guys wrestled to their max potential it wouldn't mean a damn thing at BIG or nationals.

There is a massive talent discrepancy between Iowa and PSU. It's been that way more years than not. But fans keep bitching about offense and development.

if football team A signs fifty 5 stars and team B signs 5, nobody would be confused why team A wins more championships.

But….. Riggins could maybe make the blood round next year if he grows and develops properly.

We like our guys.

So your answer is to our recruit PSU? Novel thought, hopefully the coaches see this post so they know that that will help.

Our best shot to catch up is to buy a few all star teams to change the narratives and then get more high level recruits to go along with our rent a wrestler program.

So your answer is to our recruit PSU? Novel thought, hopefully the coaches see this post so they know that that will help.

Our best shot to catch up is to buy a few all star teams to change the narratives and then get more high level recruits to go along with our rent a wrestler program.
they can't out recruit PSU. They can't even match half of what they do.

recruit to get 1 or 2 champions per year. That would be a start.

Since when?
Since is doesn't appear there are better options in 24/25 season.
Blood round is still a low ceiling.

Apparently Iowa is pushing near $1M+ NIL now and as was proven last winter, it's about more than just $$$ in getting guys on campus.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub

Thoughts?
I think McGonagle is going somewhere, and I'm sure NIL will be involved. I doubt Michigan will be in play, so I would think Iowa would have a decent chance. However, doesn't Iowa have a decent true freshman they are high on?

Zerban is a good one. I don't believe he signed with a team until late his senior year (Covid year I believe), maybe not to even after he graduated. I believe he had a decent track record,

That roster rundown shows just how bad our recruiting has been.
Chittum and Jesuroga were part of the recruits as well, so the recruiting end of it was better than it looks in hindsight. While losing Chittum was self-inflicted, there’s nothing TnT could do about a kid picking Navy Seals over wrestling.

Holy moly, we lost! Nelson, Big Cass and Abe Assad, nevermind what happened with a crazy father and our best recruit decides he is done with wrestling to serve his country.

AND WE STILL HAVE A TOP 5 TEAM IN THE COUNTRY! name one other team that could lose 5 AAs and still be the top 5 besides PS

Holy moly, we lost! Nelson, Big Cass and Abe Assad, nevermind what happened with a crazy father and our best recruit decides he is done with wrestling to serve his country.

AND WE STILL HAVE A TOP 5 TEAM IN THE COUNTRY! name one other team that could lose 5 AAs and still be the top 5 besides PS
For now. The loss of Nelson and Cass really hurts.

We lost 5 AA’s? I see only 2 (Cass, Nelson) in your list. And we replaced them with 2 AA transfers (Franek, Caliendo). So it seems kind of a wash on AAs.

We simply lost 2 top-end recruits.

Thoughts?
First, let's get through this year, shall we?

Second, this smacks of George Costanza coming up with the big trade to present to Mr. Steinbrenner.

It would be maybe more entertaining for now to take this to a "DREAM CASE SCENARIO" without getting TWOOOO unrealistic!

What would you think could be a possible BEST CASE team on the mat for IOWA next year.

For example, 197 would be AJ(regardless if you like him or not!!!!) Maybe GLAZIER at 184? BIG Ben at heavy, ARNOLD at 174, CANDY and PK filling 165 and 157 somehow??? Frankel to 149???? Not seeing some of it but it would appear that from 157 up we are pretty solid.

Would it be enough to take out F*** st? is the B1G question???

ADD in some POSSIBLE portal targets that put 10 AA contenders on the mat...........

It would be maybe more entertaining for now to take this to a "DREAM CASE SCENARIO" without getting TWOOOO unrealistic!

What would you think could be a possible BEST CASE team on the mat for IOWA next year.

For example, 197 would be AJ(regardless if you like him or not!!!!) Maybe GLAZIER at 184? BIG Ben at heavy, ARNOLD at 174, CANDY and PK filling 165 and 157 somehow??? Frankel to 149???? Not seeing some of it but it would appear that from 157 up we are pretty solid.

ADD in some POSSIBLE portal targets that put 10 AA contenders on the mat...........
Once again, “Frankel” is out of eligibility after this season.

This is FRANEK’s last year, so we need an AA at 133,141,157,184 to even be in the conversation and thats if we are getting one of our heavies to AA status. If at all possible Kennedy could man the 157 spot or we have COBE or the sports car if that works out, but are one of them AA caliber next year, who knows

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT