ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Iowa-WildCat

Scout Team
Mar 13, 2023
As a kid I was a huge St. Louis Cardinals fan. Year after year the roster changed just a little and so you knew every player their stats etc. It was MY team. I hated Pete Rose, mostly because he always seemed to get a hit in the 9th to beat us. I don't know how I would have felt if he became a Cardinal LOL. Things have changed and players move, often multiple times throughout their career. I don't feel the same about baseball anymore. The same happened with football. I loved the Chicago Bears, Gayle Sayers, Dick Butkus. Players jump ship all the time and I don't feel the same about the NFL. College basketball changed to one and done to the point that I hardly watch UK basketball anymore because I don't even remember whose on the team from one year to the next. What will be the long term effect of the transfer portal for college football? What happens when your favorite players move on and now you are playing against them? Will college football be adversely affected by the transfer portal? or Do we just accept it and move on? what are your thoughts?

I think the transfer portal and NIL are here to stay, however I think at some point some concrete rules will emerge to get some sort of control over it because it seems to be a mess. I think at some point they will have to cap the amount of times an athlete can enter the transfer portal, and if NIL money is going to be flying all over the place then some sort of legally binding contract is going to be needed between the NIL payee, the school and the athlete. This way it guarantees the kid his money and the school that the kid will not take that money and enter the portal the next year. We're stuck with the NFL lite version in college football, but without the rules. ;)

Last edited:
College basketball changed to one and done to the point that I hardly watch UK basketball anymore because I don't even remember whose on the team from one year to the next.
Seriously? Even if you have as many as 5-6 players transferring in/out in a given year, is it really that difficult to keep up? C'mon man, 15-20 minutes with the roster before the season and you're pretty much caught up (assuming you don't stay informed of headline news during the off-season).

Seriously? Even if you have as many as 5-6 players transferring in/out in a given year, is it really that difficult to keep up? C'mon man, 15-20 minutes with the roster before the season and you're pretty much caught up (assuming you don't stay informed of headline news during the off-season).
I think his point is more, (and I agree) its not just the roster but there isn't the same level of "this is MY team". Before, especially at a "developmental" school like Iowa, you would watch a guy grow and mature, improve and become someone you enjoyed watching his progress, as much as anything. Now, between the portal, and guys leaving up to TWO years early, like Van Ness and Hock, a lot of that has been diluted

Don't worry, probably morph into a deal where kids can stay as long as they want and coaches keep.

I am looking at it as guys like Cade are just like incoming freshman players but have the experience and probably the promise to start, especially in his case. I'm excited about the portal this year but hope they get a handle on the nil soon. Caitlin Clark earns her nil by being paid for actual nil deals. No more 13 million for a freshman qb ala Miami, or Georgia as being in the top 2 or 3 in spending money on nil. Kind of takes away the accomplishment of winning back to back championships. If only Ohio State had hit that field goal!!! At least the championship would have been in the big 10 again and rightfully so. They were the better team despite the finsl score. Should have been a Mich vs OhioSt championship. And nil would have been much less than what Georgia was paying for their players.

Yes, I think my point was more along the lines of watching a team or player develop. You watch a good player and think man he's only a soph. we are really going to be tough next season. I watch 5 guys come in and then leave every year it seems at Kentucky and you have no sense of wow we made it to the sweet 16 next year we're going to the final 4 feeling. You also have that fun opportunity to watch a local kid go to your state university and you're excited to watch him develop over 4 years. I had a player go from PWO to all SEC to NFL and it was so fun.

The players and whoever sued and they won and it is the right decision that others cannot make money off their nil. BUT, most players are not stars, not going to the next level, so I think we still need to maintain amateurism as far as paying to play.

Let players get endorsements etc on their own but there should not be bags of money going to kids just to attend a school and play. The endorsement type deal, signing books or clothing, etc are the work of the athlete on their own.

The players should be able to make money off the field but not be paid or induced to play for money.

This needs to get cleaned up. Plus I would still want to lesser known players to get a stipend or payment for their time in practice and games because it makes billions of dollars for others. If this doesnt happen then it is all just a money grab and greed.

Reactions: amahawk
Why should student athletes be held to different standards than other students? I know not everyone agrees with progress, but that’s exactly what we are seeing. Sorry to hear that you have to learn new 4 and 5 star recruits’ names every year in basketball, must be rough. 🙄

Why should student athletes be held to different standards than other students? I know not everyone agrees with progress, but that’s exactly what we are seeing. Sorry to hear that you have to learn new 4 and 5 star recruits’ names every year in basketball, must be rough. 🙄
students and student athletes both get to choose if they want to attend college, then they both get to choose what courses they want to take, lastly the student athlete gets the option of playing a sport or working somewhere to pay for his education while the other student’s only choice is the job market to pay for their college costs. athletes have a choice they don’t have to participate. how are they being held to a different standard?

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
students and student athletes both get to choose if they want to attend college, then they both get to choose what courses they want to take, lastly the student athlete gets the option of playing a sport or working somewhere to pay for his education while the other student’s only choice is the job market to pay for their college costs. athletes have a choice they don’t have to participate. how are they being held to a different standard?
They aren’t as much anymore, but before the transfer portal they were. OP wants it to go back to the old way, when it was a lot more inconvenient for student athletes to switch schools. Nice writing style BTW

I'm not actually in favor of going back to the way it was. There are any number of good reasons for a student to transfer. It can be a grueling process for an 18 year old to choose the right school. They are pressured from coaches, family, friends, enemies LOL Sometimes they make a bad decision. What about when the coach that recruited them leaves or gets fired? Another good reason. So is a graduate student who wants to move on. As previously stated, there are a lot of good reasons to leave. However, from the other side of the situation it makes a difficult job even more difficult. When you've spent a lot of resources recruiting athletes, expecting reasonable assurance of what you'll have to work with and in short order you could be back at square one. Add to this equation that just because a student puts their name in the portal they don't have to leave. So a coach must decide do I recruit another student for that position? wait and see?
This post was more just to get a discussion rolling than anything else. Just interested in how others see things and how you'd advise fixing it.

I'm not actually in favor of going back to the way it was. There are any number of good reasons for a student to transfer. It can be a grueling process for an 18 year old to choose the right school. They are pressured from coaches, family, friends, enemies LOL Sometimes they make a bad decision. What about when the coach that recruited them leaves or gets fired? Another good reason. So is a graduate student who wants to move on. As previously stated, there are a lot of good reasons to leave. However, from the other side of the situation it makes a difficult job even more difficult. When you've spent a lot of resources recruiting athletes, expecting reasonable assurance of what you'll have to work with and in short order you could be back at square one. Add to this equation that just because a student puts their name in the portal they don't have to leave. So a coach must decide do I recruit another student for that position? wait and see?
This post was more just to get a discussion rolling than anything else. Just interested in how others see things and how you'd advise fixing it.
If I had a choice, I would choose that College athletics remain as they had traditionally. However, I am not opposed to the Transfer Portal, but I think their should be a limit to one and done As for NIL, don't care for at all as it just opens the door for corruption. However, if they want to pay the players, then put it in a general fund and let EVERY player get paid the same. No chance of cheating then, and all the players are getting paid.

Reactions: BBptg5
I think the transfer portal and NIL are here to stay, however I think at some point some concrete rules will emerge to get some sort of control over it because it seems to be a mess. I think at some point they will have to cap the amount of times an athlete can enter the transfer portal, and if NIL money is going to be flying all over the place then some sort of legally binding contract is going to be needed between the NIL payee, the school and the athlete. This way it guarantees the kid his money and the school that the kid will not take that money and enter the portal the next year. We're stuck with the NFL lite version in college football, but without the rules. ;)
Let the NIL stand - just cap the portal to 1x after that you are ineligible to move. NCAA is fooked for now.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Think of these implications. The combination of NIL and unlimited portal transfers. That is absolute free agency and no salary cap limit. That is so destructive of fair competition that professional leagues do not even do it.
Seems like it has a strong possibility to influence game outcomes if Vinny bets a certain way he just so happens to have NIL deals with certain players on a certain team he bets on.

As a kid I was a huge St. Louis Cardinals fan. Year after year the roster changed just a little and so you knew every player their stats etc. It was MY team. I hated Pete Rose, mostly because he always seemed to get a hit in the 9th to beat us. I don't know how I would have felt if he became a Cardinal LOL. Things have changed and players move, often multiple times throughout their career. I don't feel the same about baseball anymore. The same happened with football. I loved the Chicago Bears, Gayle Sayers, Dick Butkus. Players jump ship all the time and I don't feel the same about the NFL. College basketball changed to one and done to the point that I hardly watch UK basketball anymore because I don't even remember whose on the team from one year to the next. What will be the long term effect of the transfer portal for college football? What happens when your favorite players move on and now you are playing against them? Will college football be adversely affected by the transfer portal? or Do we just accept it and move on? what are your thoughts?
Not a St. Louis Cardinals football fan too? I know it was kinda confusing baseball and football with the same name. I kind of did like the Cardinals football with Hart and Conrad Dobler and Dierdorf.

Let the NIL stand - just cap the portal to 1x after that you are ineligible to move. NCAA is fooked for now.
I wouldn't ban a 2nd or subsequent transfer but would attach penalties for a transfer beyond the 1st. For instance, football players transfering a 2nd time would be inelgibile for the first 5-6 games of the following season. Freedom of movement would still be protected but at a higher cost. I believe such a system could withstand a legal challenge.

With restrictions, It seems to me that the number of portal entries would decrese significantly because (1) scholarship athletes are competetors, sitting several games is a disincentive; and (2) the NIL value of a restricted player would likely be less, NIL collectives would have to access the risk of dedicating funds to such a player as opposed to an unrestricted 1st time transfer or high school recruit.

I agree attaching some form of penalty for multiple transfers may be effective. To be honest the vast majority of transfers are not for personal reasons but rather a student athlete trying to improve their exposure i.e. draft status or to get more playing time.

I agree attaching some form of penalty for multiple transfers may be effective. To be honest the vast majority of transfers are not for personal reasons but rather a student athlete trying to improve their exposure i.e. draft status or to get more playing time.
I agree with the addition of a third reason…money.

The players and whoever sued and they won and it is the right decision that others cannot make money off their nil. BUT, most players are not stars, not going to the next level, so I think we still need to maintain amateurism as far as paying to play.

Let players get endorsements etc on their own but there should not be bags of money going to kids just to attend a school and play. The endorsement type deal, signing books or clothing, etc are the work of the athlete on their own.

The players should be able to make money off the field but not be paid or induced to play for money.

This needs to get cleaned up. Plus I would still want to lesser known players to get a stipend or payment for their time in practice and games because it makes billions of dollars for others. If this doesnt happen then it is all just a money grab and greed.
I agree. I would like to see strict academic standards enforced. The same for all students to enroll and stay in school. They are supposed to be student athletes and not a semi-pro league.

Reactions: Bishop1971
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT