ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble at Wichita State

ColorfulJampackedBanteng-max-1mb.gif

How the f*** is this just coming out now?
1. Final Four Banner

2. Low profile job. Media coverage is overshadowed by Kansas (who’s had their own scandals).

3. They just had a mass number of transfers this off-season. I think I read 6 guys transferred out. Someone was probably curious as to why so they did some digging.

1. Final Four Banner

2. Low profile job. Media coverage is overshadowed by Kansas (who’s had their own scandals).

3. They just had a mass number of transfers this off-season. I think I read 6 guys transferred out. Someone was probably curious as to why so they did some digging.

easy to be an a-hole in a small market with only a few media members dying not to have their access cut off for being critical

easy to be an a-hole in a small market with only a few media members dying not to have their access cut off for being critical
What I still don't get is, (just like the Iowa case), why in the hell do these players take so long to air their concerns. Over 30 players have come forward and the player he allegedly punched (with multiple witnesses), happened FIVE years ago. If this is all true he should have been run years ago....

What I still don't get is, (just like the Iowa case), why in the hell do these players take so long to air their concerns. Over 30 players have come forward and the player he allegedly punched (with multiple witnesses), happened FIVE years ago. If this is all true he should have been run years ago....

No offense but fans turn on the players and usually nothing happens. They know this. Quite frankly we saw it with the Doyle stuff this summer. It's all he said she said, and they know the power Marshall has in that community.

we have seen Fran's temper during games, in huddles and towards refs.

i have always wondered how he acted in practices, with no cameras present. hopefully there are no issues there.

we have seen Fran's temper during games, in huddles and towards refs.

i have always wondered how he acted in practices, with no cameras present. hopefully there are no issues there.
What we do know is that multiple players have been asked about this very subject, because of Frans apparent RED ASS. Every player anyone has ever talked to has said that Fran was a players coach, (almost to a fault), and they all seem to love the guy. Most of his outbursts seem to be in defense of a player, and they all seem to appreciate that Fran sticks up for them. I'm pretty certain with the events surrounding the football team this summer, that the basketball players would have had a perfect forum to air any issues, and they all seem as united as ever.

What we do know is that multiple players have been asked about this very subject, because of Frans apparent RED ASS. Every player anyone has ever talked to has said that Fran was a players coach, (almost to a fault), and they all seem to love the guy. Most of his outbursts seem to be in defense of a player, and they all seem to appreciate that Fran sticks up for them. I'm pretty certain with the events surrounding the football team this summer, that the basketball players would have had a perfect forum to air any issues, and they all seem as united as ever.

Iowa also has a lily-white roster. Along with Wisconsin, they probably have the least diversity of any D-I team this year.

If Iowa got more kids from inner-city Chicago for example, who knows what might happen.

Iowa also has a lily-white roster. Along with Wisconsin, they probably have the least diversity of any D-I team this year.

If Iowa got more kids from inner-city Chicago for example, who knows what might happen.
Well lets just look at the roster shall we. 15 players listed and 7 are black. My math says thats almost half. If JBO or Luka had not returned, (which Fran didn't know before the roster was finalized) it would be half white, and half black. Yes. at this point most of Iowa's STARs are white, but not sure how that makes it a bad thing. Certainly you could see the Murrays or Ulis, or Perkins, or hell if Josh O. becoming key players down the road.

Most of his outbursts seem to be in defense of a player

I love Fran. My biggest worry about him has been his temper.

Remember the story about when Josh Ogundele was being recruited and Josh asked Gabe Olesini if Fran were as crazy as he appeared on TV? So Fran's temper and his actions leave a definite impression with prospects.

You stated that most of his outbursts seem to be in defense of a player. Actually, he has a history of losing his mind when Iowa has started off a game poorly, where he calls a time out, and he goes nuts in the huddle.

All I am saying is that when we see stuff like the picture, that follows, on camera, it just makes me wonder what goes on in practice when Fran tells a player what to do and they don't do it.

Fran has been suspended for his actions during games. I, along with all Iowa fans, just hope he has not crossed the line in practice. And of course, there is no evidence that he has. I just hope he never has. And hope is never a good strategy. ;)

510bf51253d30.image.jpg

Remember the story about when Josh Ogundele was being recruited and Josh asked Gabe Olesini if Fran were as crazy as he appeared on TV? So Fran's temper and his actions leave a definite impression with prospects.

You stated that most of his outbursts seem to be in defense of a player. Actually, he has a history of losing his mind when Iowa has started off a game poorly, where he calls a time out, and he goes nuts in the huddle.

All I am saying is that when we see stuff like the picture, that follows, on camera, it just makes me wonder what goes on in practice when Fran tells a player what to do and they don't do it.

Fran has been suspended for his actions during games. I, along with all Iowa fans, just hope he has not crossed the line in practice. And of course, there is no evidence that he has. I just hope he never has. And hope is never a good strategy. ;)

510bf51253d30.image.jpg
I get your concerns Fran, BUT don't you think if there were concerns the would have come from current or former players given the climate in the last six months? As to what Gabe had to say, it obviously must have been mostly in support of Fran or Josh wouldn't be here, don't you think?

I get your concerns Fran, BUT don't you think if there were concerns the would have come from current or former players given the climate in the last six months? As to what Gabe had to say, it obviously must have been mostly in support of Fran or Josh wouldn't be here, don't you think?
Yes, I do think issues would have come out by now. But you never know. The accusations against Marshall are just now coming out Why did it take so long?. Nevertheless, I think/hope everything is fine with Fran.

Concerning Josh: What is not good is the perception that prospects have of Fran. Prospects think Fran behaves like that all the time. Is this hurting recruiting, especially if the prospect has doubts even if a person like Gabe tries to erase those doubts?

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Yes, I do think issues would have come out by now. But you never know. The accusations against Marshall are just now coming out Why did it take so long?. Nevertheless, I think/hope everything is fine with Fran.

Concerning Josh: What is not good is the perception that prospects have of Fran. Prospects think Fran behaves like that all the time. Is this hurting recruiting, especially if the prospect has doubts even if a person like Gabe tries to erase those doubts?
I understand your concerns with the potential recruits and its certainly possible it has hurt us with some, but I don't know. Quite honestly Fran's behavior isn't that unusual. Watch Tom Izzo during a game. He goes crazy, gets red ass, yells in players faces and GRABS them, something I don't think I've ever seen Fran do. My point being this doesn't hurt MSU's recruiting because they are MSU and they win A LOT. I think this has way more to do with it then the coach being a RED ASS. As to Marshall, thats just it the current climate has probably helped these accusations to bubble up, so you would think they would have for us as well especially since we were front and center all summer with this. Marshall also appears to have quite a bit of power at Wichita State, (a big reason he's still there and hasn't gone elsewhere), and this is not true with Fran.

This^

510bf51253d30.image.jpg

I've often wondered if Fran's intense berating of players like depicted in the above photo are what ran its toll on teams in the past and led to the "Fran fade."

As another poster pointed out, however, players have always publicly voiced support of Fran. Whether that's how they all feel in private is anyone's guess.

I do agree that the old school, Bobby Knight approach to coaching turns today's players off. It's certainly possible that has made the difference in some kids passing on Iowa. For the record, I'm not saying Fran is anything like Bob Knight. I'm just bringing to question if that perception of Fran, as Josh O. articulated, is as pervasive as some of us fear.

Reactions: Hawksfor3

I agree. But I think what Frandaman is getting at is perception. For example, I remember one poster last fall during the Xavier Foster recruitment voicing displeasure at the way Fran blew up at a player right in front of the Foster family. Did it make the difference in Foster choosing ISU? Maybe, maybe not. At a subconscious level, quite possibly.

I agree. But I think what Frandaman is getting at is perception. For example, I remember one poster last fall during the Xavier Foster recruitment voicing displeasure at the way Fran blew up at a player right in front of the Foster family. Did it make the difference in Foster choosing ISU? Maybe, maybe not. At a subconscious level, quite possibly.
I don't really disagree BGB with your thoughts or Frans, but as I said in my comment about IZZO, and coach K, (who are two of the biggest RED asses out there right now), is it really about that or is it about constantly winning and your school being in such high regard as a basketball power? I think that has way more to do with recruits decisions then whether the coach can go off on them from time to time. These kids want to win the big games, and they want exposure. They get that at MSU and Duke or KU. On somewhat of a tangent, but related, why can IZZO berate and literally grab officials which he does constantly and Fran gets Td'up for it, (and I've never seen him grab an official like IZZO does). There are different levels of cache with officials, and recruits both and guys with those titles on their resume like Izzo, coach K, Self, they are at one level and Fran and his like get a different level of scrutiny. How many recruits do you think ask if Izzo is a Red Ass? Probably none because they don't care, they just want to win and be seen. In the end I think thats the big determining factor......

Last edited:
A few years ago, I was squarely in the fire Fran camp. I called him psycho several times. That picture with Marble Franisdaman posted is bothersome because Marble is deliberately looking away, enduring his coach. Doesn’t look like a teaching moment.
But that’s from -what- 8 years ago? Fran has improved. Not just lately when the team is really good. It seemed to me that it came around the time of his son’s illness and the time his sons came up through high school/recruiting. I’m thinking both were factors. Speculation: Perhaps his sons came home feeling hurt by what coaches said and he had to explain that the coach wouldn’t be spending his energy yelling if he didn’t see potential, but he saw that it has an effect on the kid and the relationship with the coach.

As far as players backing him publicly and in talking to recruits, it’s a team. And every committed member is going to do and say what helps the team. Are you going to say coach is nuts if you know it means that the incoming freshmen will end up being guys who can’t help you win? There a line somewhere between abuse and driving someone to succeed. When you’re in the middle of it, it’s really hard to know where that line is. If you’re putting up with an intense coach, but he’s making you better (and the team better), you take the good with the bad. What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. The only easy day was yesterday.

Last edited:
I don't really disagree BGB with your thoughts or Frans, but as I said in my comment about IZZO, and coach K, (who are two of the biggest RED asses out there right now), is it really about that or is it about constantly winning and your school being in such high regard as a basketball power? I think that has way more to do with recruits decisions then whether the coach can go off on them from time to time. These kids want to win the big games, and they want exposure. They get that at MSU and Duke or KU. On somewhat of a tangent, but related, why can IZZO berate and literally grab officials which he does constantly and Fran gets Td'up for it, (and I've never seen him grab an official like IZZO does). There are different levels of cache with officials, and recruits both and guys with those titles on their resume like Izzo, coach K, Self, they are at one level and Fran and his like get a different level of scrutiny. How many recruits do you think ask if Izzo is a Red Ass? Probably none because they don't care, they just want to win and be seen. In the end I think thats the big determining factor......

Of course. That's the double standard that exists. Iowa is not a blue blood. If you want to deal with a hothead, you're more apt to put up with it at a program more prestigious than Iowa. That's precisely the point. Iowa can't afford to lose any further ground in recruiting.

Again, I'm sure Fran has a great relationship with most/all of his players. But when it comes to recruiting, especially in the era of "if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'," perception is paramount.

I understand your concerns with the potential recruits and its certainly possible it has hurt us with some, but I don't know. Quite honestly Fran's behavior isn't that unusual. Watch Tom Izzo during a game. He goes crazy, gets red ass, yells in players faces and GRABS them, something I don't think I've ever seen Fran do. My point being this doesn't hurt MSU's recruiting because they are MSU and they win A LOT. I think this has way more to do with it then the coach being a RED ASS. As to Marshall, thats just it the current climate has probably helped these accusations to bubble up, so you would think they would have for us as well especially since we were front and center all summer with this. Marshall also appears to have quite a bit of power at Wichita State, (a big reason he's still there and hasn't gone elsewhere), and this is not true with Fran.

The little bit I've heard is that the blow-ups like what we have seen in games rarely if ever happen in practice. And when he gets on players/teams in games, it's not like anyone is singled out. Guys feel like they are treated fairly by Fran and staff. Which is about all you can ask.

As to how Gregg Marshall could get away with it, it's fairly easy. He won a lot. When you win as much as he has at WSU, he basically gets to do whatever he wants, until it's so egregious that a bunch of guys leave (and they weren't winning as much either).

I do agree that the old school, Bobby Knight approach to coaching turns today's players off.
You know, as I was reading the posts, I thought about BK as well. How many players did he lose, out on the recruiting trail, because of his temper? I agree that the "Angry" behavior is frowned upon today, but I would guess that there are numerous examples of this all around the country, even at different levels of play. The question I have is whether or not other players agree with the criticisms or do they say "C'mon man, suck it up!!" 😁

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys

510bf51253d30.image.jpg
Conjecture is as dangerous as just lying about something. Unless you have some proof of what you hope isn't happening is actually happening, you should just keep your f'ing mouth shut. You are not an authority. Your opinions count as zero. Your need to be the center of everything is disturbing. I wonder how many rumors you have started because of you being such a drama queen? Since there is no evidence and never has been any evidence that he has crossed any lines in practice, why the hell do you want to plant suspicions that he has? I'd hate to be seated next to you on an airplane and have to put up with your BS.

There are few more disingenuous ways to prove a point that using a single still image from a greater sequence of events.

Fred & Mary Koch and the Koch Foundation are very generous in their support of Wichita St. They are very fond of Gregg Marshall, which inevitably will save him his job. He will attend some sensitivity training and will be back on the bench.
Sadly, that is how it is. I have been wrong before though.

He gone

Will he resign or will he be fired?

Marshall makes over $3M/year and has several years left on his contract. He will want that money.

Wichita State will argue he is being fired w/ cause.

Watch:

Last edited:

I think Fran and Margret relish the role of being the home away from home parents to the kids on the team (who are not theirs lol). And like any parent, he can get red in the face, get pissed and yell at his kids about doing stupid stuff or not doing what is asked of them. Then after the dust settles, you tell your kid that you love them and nothing can change that. THIS is the type of relationship I see Fran having with the players

Reactions: Hawksfor3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT