ADVERTISEMENT

Trump’s Texas trip illustrates his upsides and downsides for Republicans and their midterm hopes

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Former president Donald Trump on Saturday night delivered the exact message some Republicans have been eager to hear: President Biden and the Democratic Party are incompetent, and Republicans need to turn out to vote in the midterm elections to take back majorities in Congress.
But that was only a slice of Trump’s pitch during his campaign rally 40 miles north of Houston.
The former president also dangled pardons for Jan. 6 rioters and urged his throngs of supporters to descend on New York, Washington or Atlanta for street protests if he is convicted of crimes in ongoing investigations, intimations of support for violence that within hours prompted questions to other Republicans about where they stood. As he spoke approvingly of the violent effort to overthrow the 2020 election, Trump also spent most of his speech complaining, falsely, that the election was stolen from him, a line of argument that Republicans have publicly urged him to drop.
ADVERTISING
Trump may be out of office, and not yet an official candidate for president in 2024, but he still represents a conundrum for his party. The former president retains an unchallenged grip over the base of the party. In most states, separation from Trump’s desires and policies is a sure path to defeat in a Republican primary and risks lower GOP turnout in a general election.
The ‘Green Bay Sweep’: A Trump adviser’s plot to overturn the 2020 election
Trump adviser Peter Navarro published a book, and in it he unveiled the plan to keep Trump in office. (Monica Rodman, Sarah Hashemi/The Washington Post)
But Trump’s continued effort to downplay the events of Jan. 6 while stoking agitation for future violence risks alienating the independent and moderate voters Republicans desperately need and think they are set to gain in November.
Trump’s suggestion of protests related to investigations into him represented his fiercest attempt yet to rally public opinion on the probes to his side.
“If these radical, vicious, racist prosecutors do anything wrong or illegal, I hope we are going to have in this country the biggest protest we have ever had in Washington, D.C., in New York, in Atlanta and elsewhere because our country and our elections are corrupt,” he said, ticking off cities in which his business or presidential behavior is under investigation.
The three prosecutors investigating Trump — New York Attorney General Letitia James, Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg and Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis — are Black.
For Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R), who is facing a primary challenge from the right on March 1, the challenge was on full display here. In a less than six-minute speech before the former president took the stage, Abbott said Trump’s name more than two dozen times. And still, he was greeted with scattered boos and chants of “RINO” — Republican in name only — as some voters expressed their view that he has not sufficiently implemented Trump’s agenda, particularly on immigration.
Calen Wall, a volunteer for one of Abbott’s Republican challengers, Don Huffines, was among those who booed Abbott, faulting him for not taking stronger action on the border.
“Abbott is finally being primaried by a true conservative,” said Wall, 40, of Arlington, Tex. “It’s an election year, so Abbott is doing everything Huffines has been saying he would do.”
On Sunday morning, just hours after Trump raised the prospect of pardoning those charged in the Jan. 6 insurrection, other Republican candidates were faced with the fallout of his remarks. New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu, who disappointed Republicans by eschewing a Senate campaign to run for reelection but who is believed to have White House aspirations, said pardons for the Capitol rioters should not be considered.
“Look, the folks that were part of the riots and, frankly, the assault on the U.S. Capitol have to be held accountable,” he said Sunday morning on CNN. “There’s a rule of law. I don’t care whether you were part of the burning — burning cities in antifa in 2020, you were storming the Capitol in 2021. Everybody needs to be held fairly accountable … That’s part of leadership.”
Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), speaking on CBS, called Trump’s pardon remarks “inappropriate.”
“I don’t want to send any signal that it was okay to defile our Capitol,” he said. “I want to deter people who did that on Jan. 6. … I hope they go to jail and get the book thrown at them because they deserve it.”
The scene outside the U.S. Capitol after Trump supporters breached the building on Jan. 6, 2021. (Bonnie Jo Mount/The Washington Post)
At his rallies in the past, Trump has not always delivered the enthusiastic endorsement of Republican candidates that many in his party desire. He will mention candidates who have his “complete and total” support, but he often spends most of his time airing grievances and riling up his base.
On Saturday night, he gave lengthy shout-outs to the tribe of Republican officials who joined him at the rally and laid out the party’s midterm argument. He denounced Biden’s handling of foreign policy from Afghanistan to Russia to China. He questioned the president’s mental acuity, challenging him to take a cognitive test. He blamed Democrats for inflation and attacked vaccine and mask mandates. And on immigration, one of the most salient issues for Republicans in Texas, Trump said that “Biden’s complete abdication of duty is getting untold numbers of Americans killed.”

He also bragged about his handling of foreign policy matters, his work on the border and his administration’s efforts to create coronavirus vaccines.
But for as much time as Trump spent critiquing Biden, he spent more on personal grievances. He delivered a detailed critique of the New York investigation into his finances, suggesting Hillary Clinton’s allies were behind the effort. He called those investigating him “racist” and “mentally sick.”
In New York, the attorney general and Manhattan district attorney are investigating the Trump Organization’s finances. In Washington, a House select committee is investigating the Jan. 6 insurrection, with a focus on Trump’s role in encouraging the assault. And in Fulton County, Ga., the district attorney investigating Trump’s efforts to overturn the election was just granted her request to impanel a special grand jury.
“In reality, they’re not after me, they’re after you, and I just happen to be the person in the way,” Trump said of the investigations into him.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) speaks before former president Trump at a rally on Jan. 29 in Conroe, Tex. (Jason Fochtman/AP)
Trump’s words were immediately injected into the Republican bloodstream. At a rally in Mason, Ohio, for U.S. Senate candidate J.D. Vance on Sunday, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) asked the crowd if they had heard what Trump had said about the Jan. 6 defendants.
“He told them he’s going to make sure they’re treated right, and he wants to pardon them,” Greene said, to a round of applause. “People should not be treated like political prisoners when they have not even had a day in court.”
Vance denounced the treatment of the defendants but did not comment on the pardon idea. Some of the estimated 200 people at the rally agreed with Trump and Greene, saying that the Jan. 6 defendants had been treated horribly.
Asked about Trump’s comments, Dave Carney, a top political adviser to Abbott, said Trump is an unquestionable asset for Republicans including Abbott. He cited the former president’s popularity in Texas.
“Overall it was an excellent event for everyone involved,” he said. “Folks should worry about their own campaigns and let Trump be Trump. I don’t know why smart people think they can dictate to him. He has been successful. He wiped out 17 other folks. He crushed Hillary Clinton, and sometimes smart people spend too much time thinking about what he should say. Most people agreed with the president on the vast majority of things. Nobody agrees with someone 100 percent of the time.”
But Rick Wilson, a co-founder of the anti-Trump Lincoln Project, said most Americans are not interested in re-litigating the 2020 election or downplaying the violence on Jan. 6. While those talking points may be “good for clicks and raising money,” he said they are “bad for the Republican Party.”
“If you want to rev up the turnout in the midterms, you need to have your base jacked up. It’s a real conundrum for McConnell and McCarthy. You want the enthusiasm but not the poison,” he said, referring to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.).
But for those who flocked to the Montgomery County Fairgrounds to wait hours for Trump, the speech hit all the right notes.
“Tonight was fabulous,” said Cathie Pina, a 59-year-old nurse from Willis, Tex. “To be around people that are like-minded, that are patriots, that love our country.”
Pina, who attended her first Trump rally and brought along her 18-year-old daughter, praised the former president for wanting to restore “Judeo-Christian beliefs.” She slammed Biden as “corrupt” and “demented,” arguing it was “elder abuse to put that man in the spotlight.”
Dawn Rolen, a flight attendant from Waxahachie, Tex., called Trump “my president” and lavished praise on him.
“I’m a Republican, but it’s not about the left and the right anymore,” said Rolen, 54. “It’s about good and evil. Trump is good, and the liberals, I don’t know what the hell happened to them. They are out of their mind.”

The Atlanta-area prosecutor who is weighing whether to bring election-related criminal charges against former president Donald Trump is seeking FBI help in securing a county courthouse and government center in the wake of “alarming” rhetoric from Trump at a rally this weekend.

In a letter Sunday, Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis pointed to comments from Trump at a rally in Texas about “racist” and “mentally sick” prosecutors examining a range of issues, including his company and his actions following the 2020 election.
“Security concerns were escalated this weekend by the rhetoric of former President Trump at a public event in Conroe, Texas that was broadcast and covered by national media outlets and shared widely on social media,” Willis said in her letter to J.C. Hacker, the special agent in charge of the Atlanta field office of the FBI. “His statements were undoubtedly watched by millions.”

In the letter, Willis asked that Hacker immediately conduct a risk assessment of the Fulton County Courthouse and Government Center and provide “protective resources to include intelligence and federal agents.”
“We must work together to keep the public safe and ensure that we do not have a tragedy in Atlanta similar to what happened at the United States Capitol on January 6, 2021,” Willis said.
She noted that several other buildings are located in proximity to the courthouse, including the Georgia Capitol, Atlanta City Hall and dormitories at Georgia State University.
Willis asked that resources be in place “well in advance” of May 2. That is the day a special purpose grand jury is set to convene to hear evidence in Willis’s criminal probe involving Trump and his associates.

The probe is focused on whether Trump and others tried to improperly influence the presidential election results in Georgia. Part of the investigation centers on a Jan. 2, 2021, phone call between Trump and Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger (R) in which Trump asked Raffensperger to “find” enough votes to overturn Joe Biden’s win in the state.

At Saturday’s rally in Texas, Trump raised the prospect of massive protests in cities where he is being investigated.
“If these radical, vicious, racist prosecutors do anything wrong or illegal, I hope we are going to have in this country the biggest protests we have ever had in Washington, D.C., in New York, in Atlanta and elsewhere because our country and our elections are corrupt,” Trump said.

Trump claimed he is the victim of “prosecutorial misconduct” by “vicious, horrible people” whom he called “racist” and “mentally sick.”
He offered no explanation of why he considers Willis, who is Black, or other prosecutors to be racist.
Several other prosecutors and lawmakers who are investigating Trump are also Black, including Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg Jr., New York Attorney General Letitia James and Rep. Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.), the chairman of the House select committee examining the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection.
“My staff and I will not be influenced or intimidated by anyone as this investigation moves forward,” Willis said in her letter to Hacker.

Reactions: lucas80
Any R in a purple district isn't gonna want to have Orange man around if they're smart.

Going to have to follow the Youngkin model.

Just as Trump sabotaged himself with his tweets for 4+ years, he's in the process of sabotaging what should be a red wave next November. He's too much of a narcissist to understand that, and think his adoring followers are difference makers. Well they aren't. His followers will loyally vote for the GOP candidate no matter who it is. Trump's rhetoric will never appeal to the 10% or so in the middle in the swing states.

Just as Trump sabotaged himself with his tweets for 4+ years, he's in the process of sabotaging what should be a red wave next November. He's too much of a narcissist to understand that, and think his adoring followers are difference makers. Well they aren't. His followers will loyally vote for the GOP candidate no matter who it is. Trump's rhetoric will never appeal to the 10% or so in the middle in the swing states.
Why should it be a Red wave? What did the GOP do while in charge 2016-2020? The GQP embraces authoritarian rule and anti Republic actions. It is Democracy vs Autocratcy this election. So, again why in the **** should it be a red wave? Old trends, rules and norms are LONG gone.

Why should it be a Red wave? What did the GOP do while in charge 2016-2020? The GQP embraces authoritarian rule and anti Republic actions. It is Democracy vs Autocratcy this election. So, again why in the **** should it be a red wave? Old trends, rules and norms are LONG gone.
It should be a red wave because the current administration, and Dem Congress, doesn't have a fvcking clue. If you don't see that, then you don't have a fvcking clue either. As for me, I prefer gridlock, which nicely correlates to the GOP even when they have power. Sometimes doing nothing is the right decision, and better than what politicians dream up. The last 15 years has been a massive spending spree that needs to stop,

It should be a red wave because the current administration, and Dem Congress, doesn't have a fvcking clue. If you don't see that, then you don't have a fvcking clue either. As for me, I prefer gridlock, which nicely correlates to the GOP even when they have power. Sometimes doing nothing is the right decision, and better than what politicians dream up. The last 15 years has been a massive spending spree that needs to stop,
Rs racked up massive spending. Your theory is flawed.

FWIW, in the last 42 years, I haven't seen a republican and republican congress with a clue either. And democrats didn't bring donald trump to prominence.

Any R in a purple district isn't gonna want to have Orange man around if they're smart.

Going to have to follow the Youngkin model.
Will be interesting to see if that was a unicorn election, or a true blueprint on how to be Trumpy without sounding nuts. Didn’t hurt that a lot of fake controversies were rampant, and McAuliffe didn’t run a good campaign.
well, I think most certainly expect the GOP to retake the House at the very least, the Senate looks like a top up at this point. Whether it amounts to a “wave” who knows, the GOP is largely expected to retake the House on gerrymandering alone. A lot will depend on how normal campaigning will be in the fall as well. If Trump maintains a prominent role at various GOP ralllies, I think that could blunt their normal midterm advantage you’d expect to see.

Reactions: cigaretteman
You are wrong. Trump drove some very high turnout numbers. He pushed people to the polls who don't normally vote. I'll be charitable and say you are naive as to what sparks the Trump voter to donate money, and to turn out to vote. You do not recognize what it is that makes him appealing to far too many Americans. You are correct that he is a narcissist, but you are wrong that his voters will not turn out for others if the right appeals are made. A lot of his supporters are traditional Dems, too. Quite a few people in the GOP know this. The GOP isn't counting on the moderate middle, they are counting on the Trump core. They are counting on that lazy middle who thinks there is some kind of a buffet line where they can pick gridlock and tax cuts, but leave the white national grievance politics, the corruption, and authoritarianism, and the rank incompetence on the steam table.

You say the Dem Congress doesn't have a clue. Other than bitching about the border and their constant rant about inflation and excessive spending, what exactly is the Republican's legislative agenda? Should be easy for you - how about giving us just five legislative proposals that would be top priority for a Republican Congress?

Agreed. But Finance is claiming we need a red wave to achieve fiscal sanity. It won't happen. Which is why we need to vote Dem. Dems suck but at least we aren't Trumpers.
Biden is on pace to absolutely shatter the crazy records Trump achieved. Trump broke the crazy records Obama set.

At this point it’s “hold my beer” when it comes to spending.

Agreed. But Finance is claiming we need a red wave to achieve fiscal sanity. It won't happen. Which is why we need to vote Dem. Dems suck but at least we aren't Trumpers.
Anyone who cares at all about our Constitution, our democratic republic and the future of our nation must vote for Democrats for each and every office.

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Did you think the GOP had a clue when electing Trump and had both houses under GOP control? They had zero vision for the future. It was all about tearing down and nothing to do with building the country up.

Biden is on pace to absolutely shatter the crazy records Trump achieved. Trump broke the crazy records Obama set.

At this point it’s “hold my beer” when it comes to spending.
No dispute there. And the next prez will set records too regardless of affiliation.

Split government stems some of the spending.
Rational, moderate government by people who hold shared norms and values stems spending, and gives good governance. The people at this rally, and the people who bow and scrape to Trump in DC are crazy. They aren't restoring fiscal sanity. They are pulling the pin and throwing the hand grenade if they get the chance.

No dispute there. And the next prez will set records too regardless of affiliation.
Not if they don’t have the house and senate controlled by their party.

Trumps tax cuts don’t go through if R’s don’t have the house and senate in 2016-18

Dems don’t push through the way to big (IMO) American Rescue Plan if they don’t control all three branches. ARP is probably around $600B instead of $1.9T if we had split government.

Starting to be a fan of split governance at this point…don’t want either of these garbage parties in control of the executive and congress.

Reactions: Finance85
It's hard to figure out which was the craziest part of the rally. That he called the DAs and AG pursuing him racists? Talk about stirring up the crazies that the blacks are coming for them.
The promise of pardons for people who beat cops on the head with flag poles?
That he actually seemed to admit that he lost, and the insurrection was part of a coup?
The threat of more violent mob attacks? Someone had better alert Chuck Grassley that he might want to stop appearing with Trump.

Rational, moderate government by people who hold shared norms and values stems spending, and gives good governance. The people at this rally, and the people who bow and scrape to Trump in DC are crazy. They aren't restoring fiscal sanity. They are pulling the pin and throwing the hand grenade if they get the chance.
We don’t have “rational, moderate” government when either of these parties have control of the executive and congress.

Split government for me…limit the damage

Reactions: Finance85
Then why do you want the cult to take charge of Congress?
This country will not move forward until the cult is killed off, or the GOP is replaced.
I want split government to limit the damage these garbage parties can do.

Split government stems some of the spending.

remember when the GOP at least prided themselves as the party of fiscal responsibility?

We don’t have “rational, moderate” government when either of these parties have control of the executive and congress.

Split government for me…limit the damage

In theory I agree. But that was before compromise became a dirty word. Split government now means nothing gets done and the situation only gets worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT