ADVERTISEMENT

Trump proposals could drain Social Security in 6 years, budget group says

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
A new report projects that the Social Security Trust Fund might run out of money within six years under a Donald Trump presidency, while Vice President Kamala Harris’s proposed policies would not meaningfully change the current trajectory.

Get a curated selection of 10 of our best stories in your inbox every weekend.

Social Security faces a looming funding crisis in an aging country, with trustees most recently predicting that the retirement and disability program’s trust fund will become insolvent in 2035. Many of Trump’s campaign proposals would accelerate that timeline, potentially by years, said the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, a nonpartisan group that opposes large federal deficits.

In a report released Monday, the organization concluded that many of Trump’s proposed second-term agenda items all work in the same direction when it comes to the Social Security Trust Fund. The budget group did not produce a similar report on Harris’s policies because they would have a negligible effect measured only in weeks or months rather than years, said Marc Goldwein, CRFB’s senior policy director.

Compared to prior presidential campaigns, Goldwein said, “I can’t think of anything that would be this order of magnitude” in its detrimental effect on Social Security’s bottom line compared to the policies Trump has proposed.
🏛️
Follow Politics
Most directly, Trump has promised that no Social Security recipients should have to pay federal income taxes on their benefits. Under current law, 40 percent of beneficiaries pay taxes on some portion of their Social Security. The tax they pay on their benefits goes directly back to the trust fund, and getting rid of it could cost the program almost $1 trillion over 10 years, the report forecast.
Other Trump policies might have indirect effects. Trump’s pledge to deport millions of undocumented workers could cost the trust fund hundreds of millions of dollars, the CRFB said. Many undocumented immigrants have payroll taxes taken out of their paychecks for the Social Security Trust Fund, but never become eligible to claim benefits, so they are a net positive for the program.

Trump’s proposed high tariffs on all imports could affect the economy in several ways detrimental to Social Security’s financial health, CRFB said. If the tariffs drive high inflation as projected by Wall Street experts, Social Security will have to pay out more in benefits because of automatic cost-of-living adjustments based on inflation.
The report also pointed to Trump’s promises not to tax tip income or income earned during overtime hours. Trump has not clarified whether he means to exempt them from federal income taxes only or also from taxes that fund Social Security and Medicare. If he means the latter, that could cost Social Security $150 million to more than $1 trillion over a decade, with the likely outcome on the very high end of that range, CRFB said.
All added up, the report forecasts that Social Security under Trump would hit the point where by law it must cut benefits in 2031 or 2032. And unless Congress changes the law that triggers the automatic cuts, the size of the cut to benefits would rise, from a current projection of a 23 percent reduction for all Social Security checks to a predicted cut of about 33 percent.

Both Trump and Harris have said they aim to protect Social Security to prevent cuts if elected, but neither candidate has offered a comprehensive plan to plug the current projected gap. Stabilizing the trust fund will require either raising more money or spending less money in some way, or a combination of the two.
Trump has talked of raising more money by drilling for oil on federal lands and has claimed that undocumented immigrants receiving benefits has led to Social Security’s problems, a view rejected by experts who point out that immigrants pay more into the program than they receive.
Harris supports a plan to raise some of the money by imposing payroll taxes on income above $400,000; currently, workers stop paying Social Security taxes after their first $168,000 in annual income.

A new report projects that the Social Security Trust Fund might run out of money within six years under a Donald Trump presidency, while Vice President Kamala Harris’s proposed policies would not meaningfully change the current trajectory.

Social Security faces a looming funding crisis in an aging country, with trustees most recently predicting that the retirement and disability program’s trust fund will become insolvent in 2035. Many of Trump’s campaign proposals would accelerate that timeline, potentially by years, said the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, a nonpartisan group that opposes large federal deficits.

In a report released Monday, the organization concluded that many of Trump’s proposed second-term agenda items all work in the same direction when it comes to the Social Security Trust Fund. The budget group did not produce a similar report on Harris’s policies because they would have a negligible effect measured only in weeks or months rather than years, said Marc Goldwein, CRFB’s senior policy director.

Compared to prior presidential campaigns, Goldwein said, “I can’t think of anything that would be this order of magnitude” in its detrimental effect on Social Security’s bottom line compared to the policies Trump has proposed.
🏛️
Follow Politics
Most directly, Trump has promised that no Social Security recipients should have to pay federal income taxes on their benefits. Under current law, 40 percent of beneficiaries pay taxes on some portion of their Social Security. The tax they pay on their benefits goes directly back to the trust fund, and getting rid of it could cost the program almost $1 trillion over 10 years, the report forecast.
Other Trump policies might have indirect effects. Trump’s pledge to deport millions of undocumented workers could cost the trust fund hundreds of millions of dollars, the CRFB said. Many undocumented immigrants have payroll taxes taken out of their paychecks for the Social Security Trust Fund, but never become eligible to claim benefits, so they are a net positive for the program.

Trump’s proposed high tariffs on all imports could affect the economy in several ways detrimental to Social Security’s financial health, CRFB said. If the tariffs drive high inflation as projected by Wall Street experts, Social Security will have to pay out more in benefits because of automatic cost-of-living adjustments based on inflation.
The report also pointed to Trump’s promises not to tax tip income or income earned during overtime hours. Trump has not clarified whether he means to exempt them from federal income taxes only or also from taxes that fund Social Security and Medicare. If he means the latter, that could cost Social Security $150 million to more than $1 trillion over a decade, with the likely outcome on the very high end of that range, CRFB said.
All added up, the report forecasts that Social Security under Trump would hit the point where by law it must cut benefits in 2031 or 2032. And unless Congress changes the law that triggers the automatic cuts, the size of the cut to benefits would rise, from a current projection of a 23 percent reduction for all Social Security checks to a predicted cut of about 33 percent.

Both Trump and Harris have said they aim to protect Social Security to prevent cuts if elected, but neither candidate has offered a comprehensive plan to plug the current projected gap. Stabilizing the trust fund will require either raising more money or spending less money in some way, or a combination of the two.
Trump has talked of raising more money by drilling for oil on federal lands and has claimed that undocumented immigrants receiving benefits has led to Social Security’s problems, a view rejected by experts who point out that immigrants pay more into the program than they receive.
Harris supports a plan to raise some of the money by imposing payroll taxes on income above $400,000; currently, workers stop paying Social Security taxes after their first $168,000 in annual income.

Faster than putting ILLEGALS on it, paying for their "transactions" and putting the world on US Medicaid?? You're getting soooooooooooo ****ing desperate, little horn honker!!

Reactions: Scruddy
Unpopular opinion:

Social security is the biggest scam in the world. Do you know how much more money you would have if YOU could invest it, even in incredibly safe risk, than letting the government run its fingers through it?

The whole premise is that the government knows how to invest better than you, don't mind them taking their cut.

Unpopular opinion:

Social security is the biggest scam in the world. Do you know how much more money you would have if YOU could invest it, even in incredibly safe risk, than letting the government run its fingers through it?

The whole premise is that the government knows how to invest better than you, don't mind them taking their cut.
It's insurance.

Reactions: Lindemann
The ponzi scheme should come to an end. Imagine getting upset about the idea of removing taxes from social security that was stolen from your income via tax to begin with.

Reactions: scotihawk

🏛️
Follow Politics

That is fake news.

Unpopular opinion:

I hope neither you or any of your relatives ever get sick or disabled.

We have the system in place so I've been paying in since I was a teen.

That being said, if we actually taught people how to use money instead of just texting good ol' Pen ave, anyone of even mild intelligence would be far better off.

Not exactly on the latter half. People lost life savings during W and Trump administrations by trusting the market.

It's insurance.
Riley,

I fully understand my mindset requires the civilian to have a tiny level of financial intelligents and while 90% of people would FAR out gain anything the gov did for them, and half of the remaining would roughly break even with SS, there are still the remaining 5% you would fall under. It makes sense someone with your abilities would want someone else making thier decisions for them. You just keep swimming little buddy.

Do we really collect $100B per year for social security taxation? Seems high. I’m all for them eliminating taxes on social security income but you would have to find a way to replenish if it is that much. The least they could is increase the amount one can make before being taxed on ssi for the first time in 30 years.

Offer anyone the ability to opt out. I'll stop paying my taxes into social security today and forego all the money I've dumped into it the last 20+ years.

You would forego 20 years of contributions? Apparently you haven’t been making much money. Zero chance I would hand over that money. And giving people the ability to opt out? You do realize how financially irresponsible majority of Americans are, right? You do realize at some point you will be footing the bill for 25-30 million homeless senior citizens, right?

You would forego 20 years of contributions? Apparently you haven’t been making much money. Zero chance I would hand over that money. And giving people the ability to opt out? You do realize how financially irresponsible majority of Americans are, right? You do realize at some point you will be footing the bill for 25-30 million homeless senior citizens, right?
I could make more off the investments of those social security payments in the next 30 vs abandoning government payout for the last 20. Easily. I'm sure this is a shocking revelation but the average 16 to 22 year old does not make that much money as a matter of fact. Complicated stuff, I know.

Reactions: HawkeyeHitman
I could make more off the investments of those social security payments in the next 30 vs abandoning government payout for the last 20. Easily. I'm sure this is a shocking revelation but the average 16 to 22 year old does not make that much money as a matter of fact. Complicated stuff, I know.

It is apparently far too complicated for your little pea brain to comprehend.

So, you are 36 now? It’s understandable that you haven’t made much money in your career yet. Be patient. I didn’t really start making good money until my late 30’s. Let see you run the math on those investment figures and you making more than you would in social security.

Last edited:
Riley,

I fully understand my mindset requires the civilian to have a tiny level of financial intelligents and while 90% of people would FAR out gain anything the gov did for them, and half of the remaining would roughly break even with SS, there are still the remaining 5% you would fall under. It makes sense someone with your abilities would want someone else making thier decisions for them. You just keep swimming little buddy.
Your ignorance spans a wide variety of topics. Social Security was never set up to be an investment vehicle, it is insurance that is geared toward low income households as a safety net.

• Low-income earners: These individuals can see an annual rate of return of around 4-5%, or sometimes even higher. Social Security was designed to help lower earners, making their effective rate of return higher than that of higher earners.
  • Middle-income earners: The rate of return for average earners is generally estimated between 2-4% per year.
  • High-income earners: The return drops for high earners, often to around 1-2%. Since they contribute more but their benefits are capped, their overall return tends to be lower.

Other Considerations:

• Spousal and survivor benefits can enhance the rate of return, especially if one spouse was a high earner and the other a low earner, as the non-working or lower-earning spouse can claim benefits based on the higher earner's record.
Sources: SSA, Urban Institute analyses, National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER).

Like real estate?
As part of a portfolio, sure, personally that's more risk than I would take.

Me.....

austin-powers-i-love-gold.gif

🏛️
Follow Politics

Great, we need more illegals today to pay for your retirement tomorrow. Hell of a position

Your ignorance spans a wide variety of topics. Social Security was never set up to be an investment vehicle, it is insurance that is geared toward low income households as a safety net.

• Low-income earners: These individuals can see an annual rate of return of around 4-5%, or sometimes even higher. Social Security was designed to help lower earners, making their effective rate of return higher than that of higher earners.
  • Middle-income earners: The rate of return for average earners is generally estimated between 2-4% per year.
  • High-income earners: The return drops for high earners, often to around 1-2%. Since they contribute more but their benefits are capped, their overall return tends to be lower.

Other Considerations:

• Spousal and survivor benefits can enhance the rate of return, especially if one spouse was a high earner and the other a low earner, as the non-working or lower-earning spouse can claim benefits based on the higher earner's record.
Sources: SSA, Urban Institute analyses, National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER).
4-5%...............
For the highest "earners" ( read interest paid by the government to borrow your money for 40 years and make 10x what they pay you)

Even you should be able to see through this.

It is apparently far too complicated for your little pea brain to comprehend.

So, you are 36 now? It’s understandable that you haven’t made much money in your career yet. Be patient. I didn’t really start making good money until my late 30’s. Let see you run the math on those investment figures and you making more than you would in social security.
Nah I choose to opt out of the ponzi scheme

Unpopular opinion:

You leave out one incredibly important point. It’s not just a retirement system. It’s also a disability insurance system. If it were privatized, how much would be left after you paid disability insurance premiums? At my age, if I were fully disabled, I’d get about 2800 a month I think. How expensive would that policy be for me as a 58 year old man?

How do you think what you presented is in any way a positive for SS?

I'll round up and just call it a 5% roi.
It's insurance. SMFH

Whole life insurance policies typically have a guaranteed growth rate on the cash value, which is often between 1% and 2%. This is a baseline minimum guaranteed by the insurer regardless of external market conditions.

You leave out one incredibly important point. It’s not just a retirement system. It’s also a disability insurance system. If it were privatized, how much would be left after you paid disability insurance premiums? At my age, if I were fully disabled, I’d get about 2800 a month I think. How expensive would that policy be for me as a 58 year old man?
"Insurance" doesn't last that has a 1 or 1+ combined ratio.

That in and of itself should show you this system is designed to make profit for the gov.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Listen, I can tell you all what not do financially. That is not the point. Social Security was a promise made by the government. It is only now that the wealthy bitch about it when if it wasn't for SS their ancestors would not have procreated them.

Still haven't heard a a valid argument of capping social security wage tax. Because the rich need it more than the poor?

Riley,

🤡

This wddt dipshit doesn't remember the last time this shit was proposed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT