ADVERTISEMENT

Trump Says He Won’t Sign Loyalty Pledge Required for G.O.P. Debate

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Former President Donald J. Trump said on Wednesday that he was unwilling to meet one of the requirements to participate in the first Republican presidential debate, refusing to sign a pledge to support the eventual nominee.
“I wouldn’t sign the pledge,” he said in an interview with the conservative outlet Newsmax. “Why would I sign a pledge? There are people on there that I wouldn’t have.”
The decision would seem to rule out the possibility of him being at the debate on Aug. 23, yet he also said that he would announce next week whether he planned to take part.
Asked for comment on Thursday, the Republican National Committee, which sets the rules, referred to past interviews in which its chairwoman, Ronna McDaniel, has defended the pledge and said the committee will hold everyone to it.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

“The rules aren’t changing,” she said on CNN last month. “We’ve been very vocal with them.”
In the Newsmax interview, Mr. Trump said, “I can name three or four people that I wouldn’t support for president,” without naming them. “So right there, there’s a problem right there.”

Mr. Trump also said in the interview that he wasn’t convinced it was worth it for him to debate given how far ahead he is in the primary. A recent New York Times/Siena College poll showed him leading the field by an enormous margin, more than 35 percentage points ahead of his nearest competitor, Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida.
“Why would you do that when you’re leading by so much?” he asked.
Some other Republicans criticized Mr. Trump on Thursday for his refusal to commit to supporting a nominee other than himself. “Every Republican running for President would be better than Joe Biden,” Gov. Brian Kemp of Georgia said on Twitter. “Any candidate who does not commit to supporting the eventual nominee is putting themselves ahead of the future of our country.”
Mr. Trump’s vacillation over the pledge is not new; he objected to signing the same loyalty pledge during his first campaign eight years ago. He ultimately did, but then took it back.
That history underscores that the pledge is, in practice, unenforceable. Party leaders can refuse to let a candidate debate for not signing, but they can’t force someone who does sign to actually support another nominee next year.

One of Mr. Trump’s opponents, former Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey, has said that he will sign the pledge, but that he would not support Mr. Trump if he is the eventual nominee: “I’m going to take the pledge just as seriously as Donald Trump took it in 2016,” he told CNN.
Another opponent, former Gov. Asa Hutchinson of Arkansas, has suggested that — if he otherwise qualifies for the debate, which he hasn’t yet — he would sign based on the far-from-safe assumption that Mr. Trump won’t be the nominee and Mr. Hutchinson won’t actually be tested.

Former President Donald J. Trump said on Wednesday that he was unwilling to meet one of the requirements to participate in the first Republican presidential debate, refusing to sign a pledge to support the eventual nominee.
“I wouldn’t sign the pledge,” he said in an interview with the conservative outlet Newsmax. “Why would I sign a pledge? There are people on there that I wouldn’t have.”
The decision would seem to rule out the possibility of him being at the debate on Aug. 23, yet he also said that he would announce next week whether he planned to take part.
Asked for comment on Thursday, the Republican National Committee, which sets the rules, referred to past interviews in which its chairwoman, Ronna McDaniel, has defended the pledge and said the committee will hold everyone to it.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

“The rules aren’t changing,” she said on CNN last month. “We’ve been very vocal with them.”
In the Newsmax interview, Mr. Trump said, “I can name three or four people that I wouldn’t support for president,” without naming them. “So right there, there’s a problem right there.”

Mr. Trump also said in the interview that he wasn’t convinced it was worth it for him to debate given how far ahead he is in the primary. A recent New York Times/Siena College poll showed him leading the field by an enormous margin, more than 35 percentage points ahead of his nearest competitor, Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida.
“Why would you do that when you’re leading by so much?” he asked.
Some other Republicans criticized Mr. Trump on Thursday for his refusal to commit to supporting a nominee other than himself. “Every Republican running for President would be better than Joe Biden,” Gov. Brian Kemp of Georgia said on Twitter. “Any candidate who does not commit to supporting the eventual nominee is putting themselves ahead of the future of our country.”
Mr. Trump’s vacillation over the pledge is not new; he objected to signing the same loyalty pledge during his first campaign eight years ago. He ultimately did, but then took it back.
That history underscores that the pledge is, in practice, unenforceable. Party leaders can refuse to let a candidate debate for not signing, but they can’t force someone who does sign to actually support another nominee next year.

One of Mr. Trump’s opponents, former Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey, has said that he will sign the pledge, but that he would not support Mr. Trump if he is the eventual nominee: “I’m going to take the pledge just as seriously as Donald Trump took it in 2016,” he told CNN.
Another opponent, former Gov. Asa Hutchinson of Arkansas, has suggested that — if he otherwise qualifies for the debate, which he hasn’t yet — he would sign based on the far-from-safe assumption that Mr. Trump won’t be the nominee and Mr. Hutchinson won’t actually be tested.

Even if he signed it, it wouldn't mean anything. He is not a man of his word.

The party is captive to a guy who is going to burn the GOP house down if he’s not the nominee.

I’ll never understand why they don’t band together and ditch him once and for all.

This. If any of his trials end before the election and he's found guilty, the GOP is going to have to scramble to *check notes* replace a guy who isn't really electable and cost them in 2020 and 2022. It is wild to me they are so beholden to him they will put him up for a job he won't get.

If he ends up in the slammer it will be Olympic grade mental gymnastics to watch the GOP supporters of Trump try to explain their unwavering support of him over the years.

If he doesn't get the nomination, he will run as a third party candidate and tell MAGA to never vote republican again.
nope...he'll grovel at the feet of the nominee and work to get them elected so he gets a pardon.

He loses the nomination he'll shift on a dime...

nope...he'll grovel at the feet of the nominee and work to get them elected so he gets a pardon.

He loses the nomination he'll shift on a dime...
He surrounds himself with people that tell him EXACTLY what he wants to hear, all the time, no matter how unrealistic it is (like, "hey we can get this election overturned even though you clearly lost). If he's not the nominee, the folks around him will tell him he can win as a 3rd party candidate, and he'll believe it. He thinks he can literally do anything.

He surrounds himself with people that tell him EXACTLY what he wants to hear, all the time, no matter how unrealistic it is (like, "hey we can get this election overturned even though you clearly lost). If he's not the nominee, the folks around him will tell him he can win as a 3rd party candidate, and he'll believe it. He thinks he can literally do anything.
True...

Trump shouldn't do any debates. It only helps bring attention to his opponents.

I mean probably, but I'm not sure that the indictments have not changed the calculation a bit.

Without indictments hanging over him Trump would certainly run a 3rd party run at the WH if someone else won the nomination. No question about that.

But he has to have someone in his ear that is realistic enough to say that if he runs a 3rd party run then the Dem (Probably Biden) will win and he won't get a pardon.

It's a question we will probably not know the answer to but it would be interesting to see if Trump would be insane enough to run a 3rd party run with those indictments hanging over him.

Any party that demands a loyalty pledge is putting party over your own personal beliefs. My whole issue with the GOP is that they have blind loyalty to a narcissistic, traitorous conman. Every candidate should rebuke that pledge.

So for one of the very few times in my life I will say: Trump is right on this.

giphy.gif

Reactions: artradley
I mean probably, but I'm not sure that the indictments have not changed the calculation a bit.

Without indictments hanging over him Trump would certainly run a 3rd party run at the WH if someone else won the nomination. No question about that.

But he has to have someone in his ear that is realistic enough to say that if he runs a 3rd party run then the Dem (Probably Biden) will win and he won't get a pardon.

It's a question we will probably not know the answer to but it would be interesting to see if Trump would be insane enough to run a 3rd party run with those indictments hanging over him.

Sorry, I’m just laughing at the idea there are any realists left in his camp.

Over the years, there's been many times that folks have said "Eh, Trump isn't crazy enough to do that" or "He's just testing the waters, never gonna happen", etc. And now he's facing over 70 felony charges.

He'd do it. And he'd think that he could win it. At that point, he might even try to fraudulently win it as a 3rd party candidate. I wouldn't put ANYTHING off limits for that idiotic man and his posse because they have nothing to lose.

Sorry, I’m just laughing at the idea there are any realists left in his camp.

I think he has realists in his camp, what he doesn't have is people who are loyal to anything else over and above him.

He used to have that which was part of the reason why his coup failed because a few people like Pence eventually said this has gone a little too far. Granted they should have said that years ago but better late than never. But those are people who have loyalties outside of Donald Trump.

He has culled out anyone he doesn't think would spend 20 years in prison to protect him.

Over the years, there's been many times that folks have said "Eh, Trump isn't crazy enough to do that" or "He's just testing the waters, never gonna happen", etc. And now he's facing over 70 felony charges.

He'd do it. And he'd think that he could win it. At that point, he might even try to fraudulently win it as a 3rd party candidate. I wouldn't put ANYTHING off limits for that idiotic man and his posse because they have nothing to lose.

I think the difference is that before people were saying he wasn't crazy enough to pursue selfish interest that far though.

This would be the opposite, doing something against your selfish interests.

Maybe I'm wrong but can you tell me a time when Trump did a crazy thing that went against his own interests??? Because running as a 3rd party against another Republican nominee who would likely pardon him if they won would be. This doesn't apply if it's someone like Christe who likely wouldn't. But lets say the person is Viveck or DeSantis and has said they will pardon Trump. If it's one of those guys you think he would run a 3rd party in the general counter to his own interests?

I think that is the real reason the GOP wants him to sign the pledge so he doesn't run 3rd party

Any party that demands a loyalty pledge is putting party over your own personal beliefs. My whole issue with the GOP is that they have blind loyalty to a narcissistic, traitorous conman. Every candidate should rebuke that pledge.

So for one of the very few times in my life I will say: Trump is right on this.

giphy.gif

I think the difference is that before people were saying he wasn't crazy enough to pursue selfish interest that far though.

This would be the opposite, doing something against your selfish interests.

Maybe I'm wrong but can you tell me a time when Trump did a crazy thing that went against his own interests??? Because running as a 3rd party against another Republican nominee who would likely pardon him if they won would be. This doesn't apply if it's someone like Christe who likely wouldn't. But lets say the person is Viveck or DeSantis and has said they will pardon Trump. If it's one of those guys you think he would run a 3rd party in the general counter to his own interests?
Trump has always been a "go big or go home" type of guy. I just don't see him bowing down and sucking up to anyone in order to help them get elected solely so he gets pardoned. He wants power.

With all that said, none of this really makes a difference. He's going to be the GOP's nominee.

Trump has always been a "go big or go home" type of guy. I just don't see him bowing down and sucking up to anyone in order to help them get elected solely so he gets pardoned. He wants power.

With all that said, none of this really makes a difference. He's going to be the GOP's nominee.

That's because he's always had the power, always been given the power.

But you may be right it's a question we will almost certainly not know the answer to. I would venture to say that if he's not the nominee the cause for that will be more likely his death than actually losing the vote.

Reactions: McLovin32
This. If any of his trials end before the election and he's found guilty, the GOP is going to have to scramble to *check notes* replace a guy who isn't really electable and cost them in 2020 and 2022. It is wild to me they are so beholden to him they will put him up for a job he won't get.

If he ends up in the slammer it will be Olympic grade mental gymnastics to watch the GOP supporters of Trump try to explain their unwavering support of him over the years.
They slowly allowed the Tea Party to tear the party up. They could have stomped on the crazies 15 years ago.

Last edited:

The charges are why he HAS to stay in the race and be on the ballot next November. Hasn't anyone read his legal defense? "These charges are politically motivated because I am a candidate for president!" He and his lawyers are repeating that non-stop as his #1 defense, and if he drops out, he can no longer use it. Trump will be on the ballot, one way or another.

Reactions: McLovin32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT