ADVERTISEMENT

Trump to bring back “operation wetback” if elected

I’m guessing if we ever went to war under Trump, Operation Human Shield would also be in play.

Epd7iWiXcAMSXPF.jpg

It would be nice if we could have an honest discussion in America about illegal immigration and how to properly address it. This board is a great example of why that will never happen.
I agree with you, but a good place to start is not using terms that criminalize and stigmatize people who are only trying to escape death and starvation to build a better life for themselves and their families.

I agree with you, but a good place to start is not using terms that criminalize and stigmatize people who are only trying to escape death and starvation to build a better life for themselves and their families.
I agree with you. I’m not a fan of the incendiary rhetoric or racial tropes and slurs. I 100% believe the majority of people from that region can be characterized as you have described. I have a lot of compassion for people trying to escape the shitholes they are fleeing.

That was a PR disaster for the Eisenhower administration.

Operation Wetback was an immigration law enforcement initiative created by Joseph Swing, the Director of the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). The program was implemented in June 1954 by U.S. Attorney General Herbert Brownell.[1] The short-lived operation used military-style tactics to remove Mexican immigrants—some of them American citizens—from the United States. Though millions of Mexicans had legally entered the country through joint immigration programs in the first half of the 20th century and some who were naturalized citizens who were once native, Operation Wetback was designed to send them to Mexico.[2]

The program became a contentious issue in Mexico–United States relations, even though it originated from a request by the Mexican government to stop the illegal entry of Mexican laborers into the United States. Legal entry of Mexican workers for employment was at the time controlled by the Bracero Program, established during World War II by an agreement between the U.S. and Mexican governments. Operation Wetback was primarily a response to pressure from a broad coalition of farmers and business interests concerned with the effects of Mexican immigrants living in the United States without legal permission.[3] Upon implementation, Operation Wetback gave rise to arrests and deportations by the U.S. Border Patrol.

That was a PR disaster for the Eisenhower administration.

Operation Wetback was an immigration law enforcement initiative created by Joseph Swing, the Director of the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). The program was implemented in June 1954 by U.S. Attorney General Herbert Brownell.[1] The short-lived operation used military-style tactics to remove Mexican immigrants—some of them American citizens—from the United States. Though millions of Mexicans had legally entered the country through joint immigration programs in the first half of the 20th century and some who were naturalized citizens who were once native, Operation Wetback was designed to send them to Mexico.[2]

The program became a contentious issue in Mexico–United States relations, even though it originated from a request by the Mexican government to stop the illegal entry of Mexican laborers into the United States. Legal entry of Mexican workers for employment was at the time controlled by the Bracero Program, established during World War II by an agreement between the U.S. and Mexican governments. Operation Wetback was primarily a response to pressure from a broad coalition of farmers and business interests concerned with the effects of Mexican immigrants living in the United States without legal permission.[3] Upon implementation, Operation Wetback gave rise to arrests and deportations by the U.S. Border Patrol.
Is this back when everything about America was great?

I don’t know how that fool has not been banned.

There being mods cracking down on trolling in all.

It would be nice if we could have an honest discussion in America about illegal immigration and how to properly address it. This board is a great example of why that will never happen.
The thing is, basically all of us want our parties to work together and solve this. We’re pretty united on doing something about the border. The people in charge just won’t do it. Or demand that laws on the books be followed to the letter.

That's another topic we can't seem to have a rational discussion on either, racism. Black American's aren't a homogenous group of people. Yet we want to treat them as such. I encourage people to sit down and have the hard conversations with your black friends, neighbors and family members. You'll get quite the range of sincere opinions on a wide-range of topics.

For example, after the George Floyd incident, I went for a long walk with Odell Haggins' cousin (who surprisingly worked for me) and his thoughts on issues of racism were very eye opening.
While certainly some issues are nuanced, I think by any measure, calling a Mexican a "greaser" is racist.

Funny how you don't want it to prevail against a former president who attempted a coup to stay in power.

Or against employers who hire cheap labor.

Just against brown people who want a better life.
But he's totally not racist. Just ask him he'll tell you.

Then I got off the highways and took a closer look. It's amazing how parts of rural Iowa look like a 3rd world country. Kim Reynolds and the Republicans of Iowa somehow cannot see them.
I guarantee you Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma are 5X worse. Kansas looked like paradise compared to those rural shithole states. Get out of the Tri-county once in a while...

Where do you think these poor, illegals are going to find housing? Southlawn???

Statements indicating that someone is racist are clearly expressions of opinion that cannot be proven as verifiably true or false.

And to quote the general rationale for this position, from Judge Frank Easterbrook writing in Stevens v. Tillman (7th Cir. 1983):

The word ["racism"] has been watered down by overuse, becoming common coin in political discourse.

In daily life "racist" is hurled about so indiscriminately that it is no more than a verbal slap in the face;

Trump pledges that as president he would immediately launch “the largest domestic deportation operation in American history.” As a model, he points to an Eisenhower-era program known as “Operation Wetback,” using a derogatory slur for Mexican migrants. The operation used military tactics to round up and remove migrant workers, sometimes transporting them in dangerous conditions that led to some deaths. Former administration officials and policy experts said staging an even larger operation today would face a bottleneck in detention space — a problem that Trump adviser Stephen Miller and other allies have proposed addressing by building mass deportation camps.

Read more at: https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us...wye3nEm6aLoc5ituo69IHrLZQllPHHyCvwfsF27E93Dq0
Source - Stars and Stripes

I cannot state how much I dislike him and Stephen Miller. Scum of the Earth.
Stephen Miller wanting to build government camps to detain brown people is the least surprising thing I learned today.

Statements indicating that someone is racist are clearly expressions of opinion that cannot be proven as verifiably true or false.

And to quote the general rationale for this position, from Judge Frank Easterbrook writing in Stevens v. Tillman (7th Cir. 1983):

The word ["racism"] has been watered down by overuse, becoming common coin in political discourse.

In daily life "racist" is hurled about so indiscriminately that it is no more than a verbal slap in the face;

You used a term that is historically recognized as being derogatory and offensive of Mexicans.

I guarantee you Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma are 5X worse. Kansas looked like paradise compared to those rural shithole states. Get out of the Tri-county once in a while...

Where do you think these poor, illegals are going to find housing? Southlawn???
I'll be in Arizona next week. The good parts like Sloan Park, however.

You don’t think times are different, nor that there are people from overseas with bad intentions trying to get through the southern border?

Times are always different and your fear isn't even close to new, or prone to being reasonable. Ask George Takei, the children and grandchildren of civil rights leaders or those who grew up hearing stories of there parents accounts of the zoot suit riots. I bet they'd recognize the sentiment. Or maybe the ghost of Odysseus could regale you with a tale of wooden horses?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT