ADVERTISEMENT

Trump vowed to help small farmers, but here’s where the aid is really going

Its called welfare for the rich...you'd think that would bother some on here...who are so concerned about the dems or libs taxing their income.

“The administration’s MFP policies stack the deck against small farmers in favor of the big guys,” Schechinger and her colleagues wrote, adding that, “laughably lax eligibility rules allow cousins, nieces and nephews and far-flung relatives living in cities, with no real connection to farming, to cash government bailout checks. Even Trump 2016 campaign advisors and billionaires are cashing in.”

I guess you missed the same thread last week.

The payout is per acre. So, a person that farms 100 will get less than a person that farms 2000 acres. Quick match. The payout is averaging $60 per acre. Farm 100 acres and boom...you get $6k. If you farm 2000 acres x $60 your payout is $120,000.

And just to confirm, I was and still am against the payout. It was a political stunt by Trump due to fear of losing votes.

Reactions: jasonrann
Its called welfare for the rich...you'd think that would bother some on here...who are so concerned about the dems or libs taxing their income.

“The administration’s MFP policies stack the deck against small farmers in favor of the big guys,” Schechinger and her colleagues wrote, adding that, “laughably lax eligibility rules allow cousins, nieces and nephews and far-flung relatives living in cities, with no real connection to farming, to cash government bailout checks. Even Trump 2016 campaign advisors and billionaires are cashing in.”
Its not stacking the deck when the payout is based on how much you farm. Its just logic actually.

Reactions: Run&Blade

The payout is per acre. So, a person that farms 100 will get less than a person that farms 2000 acres. Quick match. The payout is averaging $60 per acre. Farm 100 acres and boom...you get $6k. If you farm 2000 acres x $60 your payout is $120,000.

And just to confirm, I was and still am against the payout. It was a political stunt by Trump due to fear of losing votes.
I guess I missed you being wrong the first time, then. Aid should be targeted to need, and away from large (Foreign owned),corporate interests. At least you recognize it's a stunt, though.

and apparently you missed the payout is & was flawed.

Trump’s farmer bailout flows to city slickers.
Trump vowed to help small farmers, but here’s where the aid is really going.

https://www.marketwatch.com/discove...ea-83cf-824f436e0a5c&link=sfmw_tw#https://www.

Our great Farmers will recieve another major round of “cash,” compliments of China Tariffs, prior to Thanksgiving. The smaller farms and farmers will be big beneficiaries. In the meantime, and as you may have noticed, China is starting to buy big again. Japan deal DONE. Enjoy!,,,donald J Trump

Reactions: cigaretteman
I guess I missed you being wrong the first time, then. Aid should be targeted to need, and away from large (Foreign owned),corporate interests. At least you recognize it's a stunt, though.
If it was done by need, they shouldn’t have done it

Just want to also add that a per acre is the only way to do a payout. The payment was supposed to represent the impact of the tariff on soybean prices. A $1 per bushel drop in bean prices equates to this $60 payout if you are yielding 60 bushel per acre.

the more bushels you produce, the more you are impacted by the tariff.

I can’t imagine a way to give a payout other than a per acre basis.

If it was done by need, they shouldn’t have done it

https://thefederalist.com/2019/10/02/trump-is-shamelessly-bribing-farmers-with-cash-handouts/

Some of those smaller farms might indeed be struggling compared to the more resilient large farms. But if this is truly “bailout” money, where are the specific farms allegedly at risk of sinking due to Trump’s trade war, and why aren’t the “bailouts” tailored?

According to the Environmental Working Group’s analysis, 82 farms have each gleaned more than half a million dollars in trade relief payments. Because the rate is based on output, the biggest farms get the most subsidies. DeLine Farms Partnership has hauled in $2.8 million so far, while an average of less than $5,000 went to each of the bottom four-fifths of recipients.

$5,000 to the bottom 80% is a joke....Trumps' Farmer Bailout is nothing more than a welfare program for the richest of the rich.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/10/02/trump-is-shamelessly-bribing-farmers-with-cash-handouts/

Some of those smaller farms might indeed be struggling compared to the more resilient large farms. But if this is truly “bailout” money, where are the specific farms allegedly at risk of sinking due to Trump’s trade war, and why aren’t the “bailouts” tailored?

According to the Environmental Working Group’s analysis, 82 farms have each gleaned more than half a million dollars in trade relief payments. Because the rate is based on output, the biggest farms get the most subsidies. DeLine Farms Partnership has hauled in $2.8 million so far, while an average of less than $5,000 went to each of the bottom four-fifths of recipients.

$5,000 to the bottom 80% is a joke....Trumps' Farmer Bailout is nothing more than a welfare program for the richest of the rich.
I’m going to assume you have never seen how the previous farm bills work. Let’s say LDP payments for example. It’s all production based. A farmer who farms more acres can get more LDP payout than a smaller farmer. The farm billed signed in 2014 is also production based. They are always production based...because it is the only way to do it. It just so happens that you hate so you don’t look at previous facts to determine if you are outraged or not

Just want to also add that a per acre is the only way to do a payout. The payment was supposed to represent the impact of the tariff on soybean prices. A $1 per bushel drop in bean prices equates to this $60 payout if you are yielding 60 bushel per acre.

Well, you could make the payout regressive, so the payout drops on a per acre basis the more acres you have.

I'm sure the revenue impact of the tariff is the same per acre, no matter how many acres you have. But, I have to believe that the profit impact is more severe on the small farmer.

Anyway, promising to help small farmers, and then helping ALL farmers the same doesn't really sound like a promise kept.

Well, you could make the payout regressive, so the payout drops on a per acre basis the more acres you have.

I'm sure the revenue impact of the tariff is the same per acre, no matter how many acres you have. But, I have to believe that the profit impact is more severe on the small farmer.

Anyway, promising to help small farmers, and then helping ALL farmers the same doesn't really sound like a promise kept.
The small farmers may actually make more profit per acre than the large farmers. Shiny paint costs money. High rent too. Smaller farmers that are farming under 500 acres typically own the land and don’t buy new equipment.

Reactions: coodermans
I’m going to assume you have never seen how the previous farm bills work. Let’s say LDP payments for example. It’s all production based. A farmer who farms more acres can get more LDP payout than a smaller farmer. The farm billed signed in 2014 is also production based. They are always production based...because it is the only way to do it. It just so happens that you hate so you don’t look at previous facts to determine if you are outraged or not

….A bailout is not the same thing as previous Farm Bills' where farmers received billions of dollars in federal aid every year to protect them when prices fall due to weather or market fluctuations, excess inventory...

A bailout because of Trump's idiot tariffs is not the same thing...an average $5,000 for the lower 80% (small farmers) does not meet Trumps' promise to small farms as 'big beneficiaries'...its that simple.

There are over 1,000 people in big cities receiving bailout money...there are loop holes galore...For example, if two brothers owned a farm and called each other partners, they would each be eligible for subsidy claims in some cases....therefore get double the acre payout....

While the top 1 percent of recipients received on average more than $180,000 each, farmers in the bottom 80 percent on average received less than $5,000.

If the smaller the more money I would like to tell the government about my .001 acre garden.

If the smaller the more money I would like to tell the government about my .001 acre garden.

been around farming all my life...my wife owns 1/9th share of a family farm. I guarantee to you there are people sitting on board of directors are getting free $$$ from this Trump Bailout. Its a joke..even Grassley has said the same thing & that was prior to him/family applying for assistance.

….A bailout is not the same thing as previous Farm Bills' where farmers received billions of dollars in federal aid every year to protect them when prices fall due to weather or market fluctuations, excess inventory...

A bailout because of Trump's idiot tariffs is not the same thing...an average $5,000 for the lower 80% (small farmers) does not meet Trumps' promise to small farms as 'big beneficiaries'...its that simple.

There are over 1,000 people in big cities receiving bailout money...there are loop holes galore...For example, if two brothers owned a farm and called each other partners, they would each be eligible for subsidy claims in some cases....therefore get double the acre payout....

While the top 1 percent of recipients received on average more than $180,000 each, farmers in the bottom 80 percent on average received less than $5,000.
The point I’m trying to make is that the payout is almost always tied to production. Because of that, those with more production get more payout.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT