ADVERTISEMENT

Trump vows to find compromise on abortion

Probably best to leave things like racial equity, mixed marriages, contraception, and gay rights at the state level too.

What could go wrong?
Republicans change their POV depending on which way the political winds are blowing.

Probably best to leave things like racial equity, mixed marriages, contraception, and gay rights at the state level too.

What could go wrong?

Very little,.. In fact it will most likely improve state legislatures when the extremists get voted out...

• Haha
Reactions: tumorboy
What trump doesn't seem to realize is the reason these morons embraced him is because they thought he was on their side. These people are unwilling and unable to compromise in any way. Barry Goldwater nailed it all those years ago. The Republicans let these religious extremists into their party and now they have to live with the consequences. He either loses them because they will not compromise or he loses the sane vote which is the vast majority there is no way to keep both. Good luck Donnie boy.
This is why I don't feel sorry for the board brand loyal Righties that come scratching around for likes when they knock the modern day GOP. You folks stood back and let your party get taken over by the nuts. For 40 years you kept telling yourselves you'd be able to control them. You kept telling yourselves they were a vehicle to take power and you could put them back into their box whenever you wanted to.
How'd that work out for you?

Reactions: nelly02
Seems to think that both sides can agree on a 15 week ban. Why in the name of all that’s holy would the left agree to that? It gives them absolutely nothing, unless the right agrees to a prohibition on restrictions before that point, a non-starter for the right.

As this article points out, there can be no consensus or compromise on this issue. Neither side will accept it. Politically, as a leftist, I would like to see a proposal from Democrats for a 15 week hard cut off. A ban after that with a robust exception for life and a prohibition on restrictions prior to that. It would be a non starter but would rightfully paint the Republicans as the extremists on this, which they are.

He sees the writing on the wall that that he's going to lose the election unless he softens his stance on abortion. Too late Donnie.

This is why I don't feel sorry for the board brand loyal Righties that come scratching around for likes when they knock the modern day GOP. You folks stood back and let your party get taken over by the nuts. For 40 years you kept telling yourselves you'd be able to control them. You kept telling yourselves they were a vehicle to take power and you could put them back into their box whenever you wanted to.
How'd that work out for you?

You tell us Dem,.. Study the nuts in your own party, and then you tell us.

When will the fundamentalist Christians, especially the evangelicals and strict Catholics, break away from the Republicans?

I mean, they won’t sit still for the “let the states decide” policy when 75% of the nation’s population live under enacted laws which allow abortion access equal to or greater than what was allowed under Roe v. Wade.

There is only so many people willing to move to Idaho.

Keep saying that and you'll eventually start to believe yourself...
What makes you think they won’t? Don’t be naive. Hell, the radical right wants to ban birth control nationwide. It is amazing and aggravating that people like you don’t get this fact. He’s not giving an opinion.

When will the fundamentalist Christians, especially the evangelicals and strict Catholics, break away from the Republicans?

Seriously, where exactly would you expect them to go?...

What makes you think they won’t? Don’t be naive. Hell, the radical right wants to ban birth control nationwide. It is amazing and aggravating that people like you don’t get this fact. He’s not giving an opinion.

Not even close to reality,.. but please, continue with your scare tactics..

Seriously, where exactly would you expect them to go?...
I have no idea. If the Republican Party will not fight for a national ban, the hardcore zealots are kind of fvcked. I guess they’ll just have to live with it, except for the fringe types who will resume bombing abortion clinics.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Somehow I have missed all the Dems calling for post birth abortions and doctors ready to go.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: ericram
Very little,.. In fact it will most likely improve state legislatures when the extremists get voted out...
Extremists aren’t going anywhere. They’ll simply find another cause. Or claim whatever they’ve done isn’t enough.

Not a party issue for Republicans,.. We just spent the last 50 years wresting this from federal control, why would we want to go back?

Last edited:
Not a party issue for Republicans,.. We just spent the last 50 years wresting this from federal control, why would we want to go back?

It’s objectively hilarious that you think the extremists in the GOP are satisfied with abortion as it stands today. Or gay marriage. Or contraception.

You think these are scare tactics but you have top GOP leadership speaking directly to the goals of the Project 2025 playbook. It’s literally a vision for Christian Nationalism.

That’s your GOP platform in 2024.

But continue to bury your head in the sand.

Last edited:
Seems to think that both sides can agree on a 15 week ban. Why in the name of all that’s holy would the left agree to that? It gives them absolutely nothing, unless the right agrees to a prohibition on restrictions before that point, a non-starter for the right.

As this article points out, there can be no consensus or compromise on this issue. Neither side will accept it. Politically, as a leftist, I would like to see a proposal from Democrats for a 15 week hard cut off. A ban after that with a robust exception for life and a prohibition on restrictions prior to that. It would be a non starter but would rightfully paint the Republicans as the extremists on this, which they are.

The problem with Trump isn't that he can't find good compromises between the right and the left, he did that several times. The problem is that the minute it goes to start getting implemented he becomes a weak leader and bows to the right's whims because ultimately the only issues he really cares about are immigration and trade in which he has a super hard line protectionist stance.

I have every confidence he could hit on a perfect compromise that would get majority support in this country. Then he would get told by some right wing handler to knock it off and he would back down and then throw his support behind whatever the R's told him to support.

He did this with the dreamers for wall deal. He did this with gun control. I think there was another issue that I can't think of off the top of my head that he had a compromise deal made with Pelosi/Shumer and then shut it down completely the next day.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
No they actually don't,.. that's just a scare tactic...
You’re not paying attention then. Many gop controlled states have very strict abortion bans that outright ban them past a certain point, which mean de facto bans as a result. Or they put so many obstacles in the paths of clinics that they’ve stopped operating in many states as result.

Not to mention the case currently before the SC that would ban one of the main abortion drugs.

Many gop controlled states have very strict abortion bans that outright ban them past a certain point, which mean de facto bans as a result. Or they put so many obstacles in the paths of clinics that they’ve stopped operating in many states as result.

And if that's what those states want then so be it,.. Nobody will agree with the approach selected by every state in the nation. One size fits all will not work here...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT