ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesdays With Torbee is back!

This will be the first year since....1975 that I am not going to the opener. The only game I am going to is Rutgers.

The problem with the "I'm tired of hearing about how bad the offense was" crowd is you were always tired of hearing about it. 2 years ago it was "we are winning what are you bitching about" before Michigan proceeded to double dick us in Indy while we ****ing put up 3 points. As if anyone with a brain didn't see that coming. Not gonna talk about that shit... it's a new season "let it go we went to indy". Then last year, was ****ing atrocious but it was "lwt the season play out" then we hit the doldrums and even though everything fell into place we still couldn't ****ing score against Nebraskas shit defense to save face.... but we made a bowl and petras was going away.... so you don't want to talk about it.

Here is the truth about the " I don't want to talk about it crowd" you are never going to want to talk about it. Just like how it's never the right time for the alcoholic to "talk about it" you will always have a backdoor bullshit excuse to not acknowledge this product is shit.

Totally disagree. The talent is there. The reps, experience and health were lacking. Please read the article I copy/pasted to see that laid out objectively.
U don't go out and grab two OL transfers because u have talent. Coaches obviously disagreed and shook up the OL room some.

Reactions: Kelsers
The problem with the "I'm tired of hearing about how bad the offense was" crowd is you were always tired of hearing about it. 2 years ago it was "we are winning what are you bitching about" before Michigan proceeded to double dick us in Indy while we ****ing put up 3 points. As if anyone with a brain didn't see that coming. Not gonna talk about that shit... it's a new season "let it go we went to indy". Then last year, was ****ing atrocious but it was "lwt the season play out" then we hit the doldrums and even though everything fell into place we still couldn't ****ing score against Nebraskas shit defense to save face.... but we made a bowl and petras was going away.... so you don't want to talk about it.

Here is the truth about the " I don't want to talk about it crowd" you are never going to want to talk about it. Just like how it's never the right time for the alcoholic to "talk about it" you will always have a backdoor bullshit excuse to not acknowledge this product is shit.
This is complete and utter bullshit, with all due respect. I have posted at length about how frustrated I have been with KF, BF, nepotism, everything surrounding the offense. The recruiting misses, lack of urgency in using the portal to shore up the OL, our absolutely fücked up passing game…all of it. There isn’t an aspect that I haven’t “talked about”.

I watch a TON of college football, the list of OC’s I would rather have is really freaking long. I would give a nut to have someone like Jeff Grimes, Andy Ludwig, Andy Kotelnicki (Baylor, Utah, Kansas) in charge of our offense and it pains me that Kirk just does not take it seriously unless….he’s desperate. I bring those three up because there is zero reason a program with our status within the game and resources can’t get someone like them. At any rate..

This year, he’s desperate, and he attacked the portal like a guy who is actually trying to put a competent offense on the field. I hate that the motivation was to save his son’s ass, who shouldn’t be in that job role, but here we are. We’re WAY better at QB. It can’t be overstated how bad our QB play has been. Even in 2020, with a good OL and a duo of WR’s that are still now battling for spots in the NFL…the play from the then 3rd-year QB was pathetic. The OL will be better simply because this year is when those guys should’ve been seeing the field, not 1-2 years ago. Having an OL full of underclassmen is a bad omen, we’ll see if the coaching is worth a damn.

Yeah, we’ll be a paper tiger at 9-3/10-2. But what else do you want? For us to suck and we get wholesale changes? For that to happen, we’d have to suck for years, and I wouldn’t feel great about crawling out of that hole.

So, in summary…it’s a new season. No, I don’t want to talk about 2022 because it’s done and over and I’m exhausted talking about it. There isn’t much more to say. I’m more than willing to talk about 2023 as it unfolds.

This is complete and utter bullshit, with all due respect. I have posted at length about how frustrated I have been with KF, BF, nepotism, everything surrounding the offense. The recruiting misses, lack of urgency in using the portal to shore up the OL, our absolutely fücked up passing game…all of it. There isn’t an aspect that I haven’t “talked about”.

I watch a TON of college football, the list of OC’s I would rather have is really freaking long. I would give a nut to have someone like Jeff Grimes, Andy Ludwig, Andy Kotelnicki (Baylor, Utah, Kansas) in charge of our offense and it pains me that Kirk just does not take it seriously unless….he’s desperate. I bring those three up because there is zero reason a program with our status within the game and resources can’t get someone like them. At any rate..

This year, he’s desperate, and he attacked the portal like a guy who is actually trying to put a competent offense on the field. I hate that the motivation was to save his son’s ass, who shouldn’t be in that job role, but here we are. We’re WAY better at QB. It can’t be overstated how bad our QB play has been. Even in 2020, with a good OL and a duo of WR’s that are still now battling for spots in the NFL…the play from the then 3rd-year QB was pathetic. The OL will be better simply because this year is when those guys should’ve been seeing the field, not 1-2 years ago. Having an OL full of underclassmen is a bad omen, we’ll see if the coaching is worth a damn.

Yeah, we’ll be a paper tiger at 9-3/10-2. But what else do you want? For us to suck and we get wholesale changes? For that to happen, we’d have to suck for years, and I wouldn’t feel great about crawling out of that hole.

So, in summary…it’s a new season. No, I don’t want to talk about 2022 because it’s done and over and I’m exhausted talking about it. There isn’t much more to say. I’m more than willing to talk about 2023 as it unfolds.
I appreciate your stance but if I could link premium conversations or conversations from on3 I would be able to link no less than 20 instances exactly like what I have expressed.

There is a large contingent of Ferentz fluffers who simply refuse to ever have that conversation.

There is no longer a point in thinking someone is going to come in and change the KF offense. As far as I'm concerned the ONLY selling point for Brian was his ability to speak to KF on a different level and actually progress him..... boy was that a ****ing lie.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I don’t disagree, I’m not arguing that at all.

All me and @torbee are saying is that hearing about 2022’s offense is getting old. We’ve had a year to get all the jokes out and to keep bringing it up; it’s a new season now and let’s let it play out.
Yeah, I just added it to the full body of work! :)

I appreciate your stance but if I could link premium conversations or conversations from on3 I would be able to link no less than 20 instances exactly like what I have expressed.

There is a large contingent of Ferentz fluffers who simply refuse to ever have that conversation.

There is no longer a point in thinking someone is going to come in and change the KF offense. As far as I'm concerned the ONLY selling point for Brian was his ability to speak to KF on a different level and actually progress him..... boy was that a ****ing lie.
The best KF asks for is the offense to be efficient. Control the clock and capitalize on errors. Its been a few years since the program has done it consistently. It's an issue especially considering KF's advanced age.

Oh yeah, there are some who refuse to be even the least bit objective. They will not waver.

Sorry @NorthernHawkeye - I know you think only my mom and close family enjoy the column - but for some reason Rivals keeps paying me to produce it year after year. :)

I definitely have been chugging the Hawkeye Kool-Aid this summer, so my pre-season prognostication is likely far too sunny. But what the hell, might as well dream big before reality kicks you in the nuts.

Tuesdays with Torbee​

Article written by:Tory Brecht
https://twitter.com/ToryBrecht
Iowa Football
Torbee predicts the season for Iowa. (Photo by Jeffrey Becker-USA TODAY Sports)

I am starting to feel a little feisty, which means college football is officially in the air.

Seeing ESPN tab Badger quarterback Tanner Mordecai as the “most impactful” quarterback transfer in the Big 10 when Iowa has a former Big 10 Champion and College Football Playoff signal caller slated to start thanks to the portal really chafed my hide. I guess putting up gaudy numbers in a Group of Five conference that plays no defense is more impressive than putting up 42 points on the best defense in the Big 10. Who knew?!

Then the wags at Sickos Committee tabbed Iowa as their 2023 “preseason #1” (it’s not a compliment, trust me) and the irritation at Iowa’s offense being the ultimate butt of every college football joke last season resurfaced. Yes, last season’s bottom feeding, offensive offense deserved all the ridicule heaped upon it, but can we turn the freaking page? With a new quarterback, new transfer receivers, stellar tight ends, one of the best running backs in the conference and a hopefully healthier and more-seasoned offensive line, only a fool would think the Hawkeye offense will sputter as bad as it did last fall.
I, for one, look forward to many servings of crow by “experts” who prefer to run with an old, tired narrative rather than actually examine the facts on the ground as this season dawns. Here’s hoping Iowa again hits 30 points-per-game and shuts the naysayers up. I think it’s going to happen.

Let me be clear – I am an unabashed, Pollyannaish, black-and-gold-colored glasses super fan – at least until the first loss brings me back to earth. And I think that’s how college fandom should be. We’re spending hundreds of dollars watching kids barely out of their teens bash their brains in for our entertainment; the least we can do is have their backs until they give us reason to despair.
Frankly, a few weeks ago, I was worried my general apathy about the college football landscape in general was going to diminish my interest in Iowa kicking off its season. Between mass transfers, re-alignment, money fights, gambling controversies and other off-season messes, I can’t say I’m bullish on the general direction of the sport I’ve loved since I was about 12. As excited as I am to go see an Iowa away game in the Coliseum or finally visit Autzen Stadium in Eugene, I think the erosion of regional rivalries and the abandonment of entire conferences (RIP Pac 12) is a sad and unhealthy trend. But then I’m also not the one being offered truckloads of television and streaming money to sell my history, either.

Misgivings about the future notwithstanding, the season is upon us, and my enthusiasm meter is refilling. I will go to the games, cheer my guts out for the Hawkeyes and argue with people on the internet about why they are much better than all the so-called pundit idiots give them credit for. You know, business as usual.

As is tradition with the first Tuesdays With Torbee column of the year, I’ll share my pre-season Iowa prognostication. This season, I’m going to make my predictions in quads – taking the first four, middle four and final four games and predicting the Hawkeye record in those quads – ranking the games from most likely to least likely to win.

Quad One
Utah State, @Iowa State, Western Michigan, @Penn State.

I see the Hawkeyes finishing this stretch 3-1. Most likely win is Western Michigan, followed by Utah State and Iowa State. I think the Cyclones will, as usual, give the Hawks fits. Nevertheless, down their starting quarterback and with other gambling-related suspensions, I think Iowa earns revenge from last year’s debacle in Kinnick. As for Penn State, Iowa will have a puncher’s chance, but this will be too much to overcome on the road.

Quad Two
Michigan State, Purdue, @Wisconsin, Minnesota.

This is the crucial stretch of the season. I rank the difficulty order thus: Michigan State, Purdue, Minnesota, @Wisconsin. I love that three-of-four are at home. In fact, I love it so much I’m predicting Iowa to get through this gauntlet 4-0, pulling an upset in Madison where the Badgers will still be a little off balance trying to install a brand new offensive identity and replacing defensive guru Jim Leonhard as defensive coordinator. If the Hawkeyes get through this section sitting at 7-1 overall, this will be a special season. And I think the likelihood is pretty good!

Quad Three
@Northwestern, Rutgers, Illinois, @Nebraska.

Difficulty ranking I see as Illinois, @Nebraska, Rutgers, @Northwestern. I think Iowa drops one of either Illinois or at Nebraska and wins the remaining three. I don’t know which idea I hate worse – two losses in a row to Bielema-led Illinois or a second straight loss to the Cornhuskers. Both make me throw up in my mouth a little, but I think we have to brace ourselves for at least one of those being a loss. I think Rutgers and Northwestern are both flat out bad teams, so at worst, Iowa should go 2-2 here, but I’m putting my marker on 3-1

Overall
If my predictions hold, Iowa will be 10-2, 7-2 in the Big 10 and heading for Indy. They should have been there last year, so this will go a long way toward settling some of the more disgruntled fans down. Beat one of the East’s big three – unlikely but not impossible – and this will be Kirk Ferentz’ best turnaround job since 2015.

Let’s do it!
WTF?!?! I'm hardly even mentioned in that.

• Haha
Reactions: torbee
Today is Wednesday. Oh, forgot… you guys are in the central calendar zone so it’s a day earlier there.
For the record, the piece was sent to Kakert by 1 p.m. Tuesday. He posted it on the On3 site at 6:45 p.m. Tuesday.

I was busy last night with most of your moms (and a bike ride and a podcast recording) so I didn't get around to posting it for you degenerates until this morning.

Reactions: NoleATL
this looks like another 8-4 team

they will beat a team they shouldn't (PSU) and lose to a team they shouldn't (NW)

Nope.

But plenty of short fields thanks to stellar defense and punting.
2 years ago we could barely score without the short fields, but to their credit, were able to capitalize on those. Last year we had a hard time even getting FGs with gifts from the defense.

Torbs I appreciate the optimism but I'm not sure they average over 30 in the non con if I'm being honest. That's 90 points total, so like 35, 20, 35... I know Utah state is horrible.

Totally disagree. The talent is there. The reps, experience and health were lacking. Please read the article I copy/pasted to see that laid out objectively.
Coach Ferentz said the talent wasn't there last year, along with depth.

Reactions: tumorboy
Coach Ferentz said the talent wasn't there last year, along with depth.
Coach Ferentz said the EXPERIENCED talent was lacking:

“Nobody wants to hear it, but we’ve had injuries,” Ferentz said. “We’ve had some unusual personnel situations. Connor Colby is a great example, in my opinion. Connor was a really good prospect, and he’s a really good young man, and he’s going to be a really good player. But we threw him in there two years ago, and he wasn’t ready.”

“Nobody wants to hear it, but we’ve had injuries,” Ferentz said. “We’ve had some unusual personnel situations. Connor Colby is a great example, in my opinion. Connor was a really good prospect, and he’s a really good young man, and he’s going to be a really good player. But we threw him in there two years ago, and he wasn’t ready.”
Bruh, just read your post on the other site. Kade is a maybe for week one and you still we put up 30 a game?

So was the inexperienced talent there?😁

Isn't it funny how people pick and choose what they want to read/hear rather than looking at the whole statement.

So did I miss the Tuesday's with Torby collum yesterday or is it not going to be on this site?
I wrote a Week 0 column with a season prediction, but didn't have one this week as there wasn't that much to talk about until after the first game.

Back next week and I'll post it here as long as they let me.

• Love
Reactions: Hendy hawk
I wrote a Week 0 column with a season prediction, but didn't have one this week as there wasn't that much to talk about until after the first game.

Back next week and I'll post it here as long as they let me.
Come on dude! Nothing to talk about? There is tons to talk about! Hell, just peruse the football board and you'd have any number of topics.

I'd have written about the Aggies QB chalkboard material and then dissected Iowa's defense from his point of view. Iowa's D may look like nothing fancy but my contention is they have all sorts of schemes and trickeration to mess up an opposing team's offense.

All last season I said it - and I'll say it again: CAN'T BLOCK? CAN'T WIN.

I don't care of you have the love child of Vince Lombardi and Bill Walsh calling plays, you won't gain yards or score points on offense if you have a poor performing o-line. Which Iowa did last year for the reasons listed in Doc's article. This season's line should be better, and if Iowa can get to even slightly below average on offense - quite achievable - there is no reason they can't hit double digit wins.
While I fully agree, I do think QB play (both Petras and Padilla btw) contributed greatly to the problem. There were several times where the line held a clean pocket and the QB either made an awful decision or an inaccurate pass. I think the OL actually did a decent job pass blocking. The run blocking was awful though.

While I fully agree, I do think QB play (both Petras and Padilla btw) contributed greatly to the problem. There were several times where the line held a clean pocket and the QB either made an awful decision or an inaccurate pass. I think the OL actually did a decent job pass blocking. The run blocking was awful though.
Petras was absolutely the worst kind of QB you could pair with a bad offensive line.

Prone to panic, slow-of-foot.

When he had a perfect pocket, he was actually a pretty good thrower. But that was exceedingly rare last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT