ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesdays With Torbee is back!

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Sorry @NorthernHawkeye - I know you think only my mom and close family enjoy the column - but for some reason Rivals keeps paying me to produce it year after year. :)

I definitely have been chugging the Hawkeye Kool-Aid this summer, so my pre-season prognostication is likely far too sunny. But what the hell, might as well dream big before reality kicks you in the nuts.

Tuesdays with Torbee​

Article written by:Tory Brecht
https://twitter.com/ToryBrecht
Iowa Football
Torbee predicts the season for Iowa. (Photo by Jeffrey Becker-USA TODAY Sports)

I am starting to feel a little feisty, which means college football is officially in the air.

Seeing ESPN tab Badger quarterback Tanner Mordecai as the “most impactful” quarterback transfer in the Big 10 when Iowa has a former Big 10 Champion and College Football Playoff signal caller slated to start thanks to the portal really chafed my hide. I guess putting up gaudy numbers in a Group of Five conference that plays no defense is more impressive than putting up 42 points on the best defense in the Big 10. Who knew?!

Then the wags at Sickos Committee tabbed Iowa as their 2023 “preseason #1” (it’s not a compliment, trust me) and the irritation at Iowa’s offense being the ultimate butt of every college football joke last season resurfaced. Yes, last season’s bottom feeding, offensive offense deserved all the ridicule heaped upon it, but can we turn the freaking page? With a new quarterback, new transfer receivers, stellar tight ends, one of the best running backs in the conference and a hopefully healthier and more-seasoned offensive line, only a fool would think the Hawkeye offense will sputter as bad as it did last fall.
I, for one, look forward to many servings of crow by “experts” who prefer to run with an old, tired narrative rather than actually examine the facts on the ground as this season dawns. Here’s hoping Iowa again hits 30 points-per-game and shuts the naysayers up. I think it’s going to happen.

Let me be clear – I am an unabashed, Pollyannaish, black-and-gold-colored glasses super fan – at least until the first loss brings me back to earth. And I think that’s how college fandom should be. We’re spending hundreds of dollars watching kids barely out of their teens bash their brains in for our entertainment; the least we can do is have their backs until they give us reason to despair.
Frankly, a few weeks ago, I was worried my general apathy about the college football landscape in general was going to diminish my interest in Iowa kicking off its season. Between mass transfers, re-alignment, money fights, gambling controversies and other off-season messes, I can’t say I’m bullish on the general direction of the sport I’ve loved since I was about 12. As excited as I am to go see an Iowa away game in the Coliseum or finally visit Autzen Stadium in Eugene, I think the erosion of regional rivalries and the abandonment of entire conferences (RIP Pac 12) is a sad and unhealthy trend. But then I’m also not the one being offered truckloads of television and streaming money to sell my history, either.

Misgivings about the future notwithstanding, the season is upon us, and my enthusiasm meter is refilling. I will go to the games, cheer my guts out for the Hawkeyes and argue with people on the internet about why they are much better than all the so-called pundit idiots give them credit for. You know, business as usual.

As is tradition with the first Tuesdays With Torbee column of the year, I’ll share my pre-season Iowa prognostication. This season, I’m going to make my predictions in quads – taking the first four, middle four and final four games and predicting the Hawkeye record in those quads – ranking the games from most likely to least likely to win.

Quad One
Utah State, @Iowa State, Western Michigan, @Penn State.

I see the Hawkeyes finishing this stretch 3-1. Most likely win is Western Michigan, followed by Utah State and Iowa State. I think the Cyclones will, as usual, give the Hawks fits. Nevertheless, down their starting quarterback and with other gambling-related suspensions, I think Iowa earns revenge from last year’s debacle in Kinnick. As for Penn State, Iowa will have a puncher’s chance, but this will be too much to overcome on the road.

Quad Two
Michigan State, Purdue, @Wisconsin, Minnesota.

This is the crucial stretch of the season. I rank the difficulty order thus: Michigan State, Purdue, Minnesota, @Wisconsin. I love that three-of-four are at home. In fact, I love it so much I’m predicting Iowa to get through this gauntlet 4-0, pulling an upset in Madison where the Badgers will still be a little off balance trying to install a brand new offensive identity and replacing defensive guru Jim Leonhard as defensive coordinator. If the Hawkeyes get through this section sitting at 7-1 overall, this will be a special season. And I think the likelihood is pretty good!

Quad Three
@Northwestern, Rutgers, Illinois, @Nebraska.

Difficulty ranking I see as Illinois, @Nebraska, Rutgers, @Northwestern. I think Iowa drops one of either Illinois or at Nebraska and wins the remaining three. I don’t know which idea I hate worse – two losses in a row to Bielema-led Illinois or a second straight loss to the Cornhuskers. Both make me throw up in my mouth a little, but I think we have to brace ourselves for at least one of those being a loss. I think Rutgers and Northwestern are both flat out bad teams, so at worst, Iowa should go 2-2 here, but I’m putting my marker on 3-1

Overall
If my predictions hold, Iowa will be 10-2, 7-2 in the Big 10 and heading for Indy. They should have been there last year, so this will go a long way toward settling some of the more disgruntled fans down. Beat one of the East’s big three – unlikely but not impossible – and this will be Kirk Ferentz’ best turnaround job since 2015.

Let’s do it!

Iowa absolutely can get to Indy. If not for Cooper DeJean’s concussion against Nebby they would be shooting for a West Division three-peat. But they’re not going to beat the East Division champ there. They would have a puncher’s chance of beating Michigan or Ohio State at home in the middle of the season. But on a neutral field when the other team is equally motivated? No chance.

Also, as someone whose second favorite team college team is Cincinnati, I fear that Fickell is going to build a monster. He’s the real deal.

Iowa’s upgraded offense is the enticing beautiful and voluptuous strip teaser which makes you giddy dreamer. But then you suddenly realize her cigar chomping fat ass manager is still in control of the show and you’re probably never going to get the back room lap dance after all.

I got 9-3 which includes the traditional shit pile loss (MSU) and the upset (PSU).

Reactions: torbee
If it's shit, call it shit.
The issue is past tense or present tense.

With a banged up, inexperienced offensive line, a dearth of wide receivers and a statue of a quarterback with lead feet and no situational awareness, Iowa's offense was shit.

With a healthier, more experienced offensive line, a couple nice transfer wideouts and a former Big 10 champion quarterback with a quick release and excellent situational awareness, Iowa's offense should not be shit.

Appreciate the effort torbs but this is the most apathetic I have been for an Iowa football season in my life.

Needing 301 points for the year, decent chance Brian is a lame duck before we even get to Penn state, especially if Iowa state plays defense.

4 new coaches in the west and they finally gave up the bullshit "build 2 stars into NFL'ers" and bought an offense in the portal because the rucruitting has been shit.

Just go play your death on a cracker offense and let the defense win you 9 games again so we can get to 2024 and find ourselves dead nuts middle of a huge conference.... yay!

Reactions: lonestar50
Appreciate the effort torbs but this is the most apathetic I have been for an Iowa football season in my life.

Needing 301 points for the year, decent chance Brian is a lame duck before we even get to Penn state, especially if Iowa state plays defense.

4 new coaches in the west and they finally gave up the bullshit "build 2 stars into NFL'ers" and bought an offense in the portal because the rucruitting has been shit.

Just go play your death on a cracker offense and let the defense win you 9 games again so we can get to 2024 and find ourselves dead nuts middle of a huge conference.... yay!
Iowa's going to average 30 ppg this year. Book it. (If McNamara and K. Johnson stay healthy as a caveat.)

With a banged up, inexperienced offensive line, a dearth of wide receivers and a statue of a quarterback with lead feet and no situational awareness, Iowa's offense was shit.

With a healthier, more experienced offensive line, a couple nice transfer wideouts and a former Big 10 champion quarterback with a quick release and excellent situational awareness, Iowa's offense should not be shit.
If the offensive line sucks again those coaches shouldn't make it to the bowl game. We have had single players that are good on shitty lines foe damn near a decade.

If the offensive line sucks again those coaches shouldn't make it to the bowl game. We have had single players that are good on shitty lines foe damn near a decade.
Doc did a very, very good job of assessing this in a recent Athletic column I'll copy/paste below (though ALL Iowa fans should subscribe to The Athletic just for Doc's coverage alone).

It made me feel more optimistic, and Doc isn't one to sugarcoat things when they're bad:

How Kirk Ferentz crafts his offensive lines: Will Iowa’s meet the standard?​

Sep 11, 2021; Ames, Iowa, USA; Iowa Hawkeyes offensive lineman Nick DeJong (56) blocks against Iowa State Cyclones linebacker Jake Hummel (35) at Jack Trice Stadium. The Hawkeyes won 27-17.  Mandatory Credit: Reese Strickland-USA TODAY Sports

By Scott Dochterman
Aug 22, 2023

IOWA CITY, Iowa — When one strips away the wins, the accolades and the fancy facilities, what Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz stakes his reputation upon is how he molds offensive lines.

From 1981 to 1989, Ferentz built the Hawkeyes’ offensive line into one of the nation’s best units. As an offensive line coach with the Baltimore Ravens, Ferentz helped develop Jonathan Ogden into a Hall of Fame offensive tackle. Under Ferentz, the Hawkeyes have had six offensive linemen selected in the first round of the NFL Draft — second most among college football programs — in the last two decades. Ferentz’s best Iowa protege, Marshal Yanda, is a likely Pro Football Hall of Fame selection and was a third-round pick in 2007.

That history built a foundation but didn’t block anything besides a legacy last fall. Iowa’s offensive line was ravaged by inexperience, attrition and injuries. Only 13 starts came from upperclassmen and just five from an original scholarship lineman. The center flipped over from defensive tackle, the left tackle had lingering issues with a dislocated kneecap and inconsistency plagued every position. It led to 38 sacks — a 15-year high — and 2.92 yards per carry.

But one step at a time, the offensive line has grown. Left tackle Mason Richman had surgery in January to repair the ligament around his kneecap and it has bolstered his confidence. Center Logan Jones no longer has to think like Rimington Award winner Tyler Linderbaum; he now can react like the first-rounder. The lumps the offensive line has taken in games against Big Ten defenses have aided its development of more than a thousand scout-team reps.

“We’re not there yet by any stretch,” Ferentz said. “But I think we’ll have a chance maybe to play a level where it kind of meets the standard we’re looking for. And it’s not because I haven’t tried. There are a million things that factor into it.

“That’s one area I know a little something about in football: That’s about it. I’ve been saying you really can’t microwave maturity. You just can’t do it. That is a position where maturity really shows up.”

https://theathletic.com/4791302/2023/08/21/iowa-football-offense-statistics-brian-ferentz/
For a developmental program like Iowa, the ideal situation up front is to start at least three multiyear upperclassmen, perhaps a talented sophomore and then rotate a senior or junior with an underclassman. Then one of Ferentz’s late-blooming “good stories” would emerge. For the better part of a generation, that philosophy served Iowa both in annual competition and program maintenance.

But in 2021, the pipeline tapped out. Iowa’s 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes struggled to produce capable linemen. The two most promising candidates — the late Cody Ince and Justin Britt — suffered career-ending injuries. Others either didn’t reach expectations, transferred or both. Then injuries shredded the unit. At best it looked ordinary. Against good defenses, the line was exposed.

Last year, the Hawkeyes faced seven of the nation’s top 14 statistical defenses. Any upward trajectory was muted by the quality and growth of its opponent.

Offensive line coaches often deal with numbers because position flexibility is expected. Iowa wants at least seven, maybe eight, linemen available to play winning football every Saturday. Offensive line coach George Barnett walked into a depleted room in 2021 “having a couple of headliners and then patches.” There was Linderbaum, a unanimous first-team All-American, flanked by several linemen seeing action for the first time. It was even worse in 2022 when the youngsters forced to play too early in 2021 still were developing and there was no All-Big Ten lineman to help in a pinch. Injuries were rampant.

“I think you block people and play winning football with juniors and seniors,” Barnett said. “I think there’s a maturation process at that position the closer you get to the ball.”

But for the first time since 2020, Iowa might have a unit with enough depth and talent to compete the way it wants. The Hawkeyes return five players up front with double-digit career starts, plus two grad transfers who were multiyear starters. In addition, there are rotational linemen from last year with spot starts making a push.
“I think we have some competition in the group, which we haven’t had,” Ferentz said. “We’ve been trying to survive. Now we’ve got competition, and maybe with a little bit of luck, we’ll probably be able to play at the tempo we want to play at.

“That’s our goal. We’re not there yet, but I feel a lot better.”

Jones (6 feet 3, 290 pounds) is the linchpin to Iowa’s resurgence up front. A knee injury cost Jones all but two games of the 2021 season. Ferentz sought Jones to switch to center and potentially replace Linderbaum. A deep pool at defensive tackle made the flip easier to handle.

With a program-record 700-pound squat, Jones has uncommon strength for an average-sized body. He also has rare explosiveness, but it became an issue for him last year. Teammates and coaches mentioned Linderbaum’s quickness off the ball, and Jones strived to match it. That caused several bad snaps as he developed muscle memory and a better mental approach.

“I’m a lot more comfortable with what I’m doing and the calls that I’m making,” Jones said. “I know what I need to do now. I know how I need to do it, why I need to do it, just everything that I didn’t really know last year. I know the why conceptually of our offense: why I need to get there; why I need to get vertical; where the backs are hitting, just things like that.”

“Logan probably should get a medal for the way he played last year,” Ferentz said. “Because what he did was so difficult, moving him in March and then starting every game. He played pretty well last year. Everything he does is just at such a high level. So to think he’s not going to be better this year and next year, like seriously?”
Richman (6-6, 312) has 25 starts at left tackle, which included 12 games in 2021. In previous eras, Richman would have rotated at guard that season, and perhaps kicked outside last year. Instead, he received an education against some of college football’s top defensive ends over the last two years. Losing those one-on-one matchups, combined with fighting a lingering knee issue, dipped his confidence.

“He can be an overthinker because he’s really intelligent,” Barnett said. “He cares so dang much. He’s starting to play with a little more rhythm and feel and not worrying about this and worrying about that.”

Reactions: millah_22
This offseason, Richman doubled down mentally and physically. He was unable to compete in spring football, but he battled quarterback Cade McNamara each morning to arrive first at the facility, always before 5 a.m.
Connor Colby (6-6, 311) started 11 games at guard in 2021, the most ever for a true freshman under Ferentz. Last year, Colby kicked out to right tackle but struggled in his sets and shifted to left guard for the final six games. A four-star prospect, Colby has opened 24 career contests.

“Nobody wants to hear it, but we’ve had injuries,” Ferentz said. “We’ve had some unusual personnel situations. Connor Colby is a great example, in my opinion. Connor was a really good prospect, and he’s a really good young man, and he’s going to be a really good player. But we threw him in there two years ago, and he wasn’t ready.”

Others have dealt with their own trials. Nick DeJong (6-6, 305), a senior who began his career as a walk-on, has 17 starts over four different positions. Now a sophomore, Beau Stephens (6-6, 319) opened 10 games last year at right guard. Tyler Elsbury (6-5, 312), a junior, and Gennings Dunker (6-5, 320), a sophomore, combined for three starts last year. They’re joined by a pair of grad transfers. Rusty Feth (6-5, 310) had 34 starts at Miami (Ohio), and Daijon Parker (6-5, 315) opened 19 games at Division II Saginaw Valley State.
https://theathletic.com/4778867/2023/08/16/gennings-dunker-iowa-football-offensive-line/
https://theathletic.com/4778867/2023/08/16/gennings-dunker-iowa-football-offensive-line/
Now, they’re all experienced. They’re all battle-tested. They compete daily against one of the nation’s top defenses but no longer become the daily party favor. There’s better chemistry and execution in their outside zone and they genuinely like one another. That doesn’t mean this unit will become a dominant force like some of its predecessors, but it should look more like an Iowa unit than the last two seasons.

“It’s been the best it’s really been in my four years here,” Richman said. “I think a lot of it’s due to guys just buying into what we’re trying to achieve here.”

“They’re really hungry,” Barnett said. “They got a good look in their eye. They’re showing up every day, and we had that last year, too. The difference this year is we have competition.”

Reactions: millah_22
The guy who went 5-7 with Ohio State's roster is going to dominate with Wisconsin's roster?

Nah.

The Big 10 ain't the AAC.
There were a million extenuating circumstances with that team, but you already know that. Fickell has acknowledged that he was not ready to be thrust into that position under those circumstances, but he learned from it.

He’s an excellent football coach who is going to excel at Wisconsin. Underestimate him at your own peril.

Sorry @NorthernHawkeye - I know you think only my mom and close family enjoy the column - but for some reason Rivals keeps paying me to produce it year after year. :)

I definitely have been chugging the Hawkeye Kool-Aid this summer, so my pre-season prognostication is likely far too sunny. But what the hell, might as well dream big before reality kicks you in the nuts.

Tuesdays with Torbee​

Iowa Football

I am starting to feel a little feisty, which means college football is officially in the air.

Seeing ESPN tab Badger quarterback Tanner Mordecai as the “most impactful” quarterback transfer in the Big 10 when Iowa has a former Big 10 Champion and College Football Playoff signal caller slated to start thanks to the portal really chafed my hide. I guess putting up gaudy numbers in a Group of Five conference that plays no defense is more impressive than putting up 42 points on the best defense in the Big 10. Who knew?!

Then the wags at Sickos Committee tabbed Iowa as their 2023 “preseason #1” (it’s not a compliment, trust me) and the irritation at Iowa’s offense being the ultimate butt of every college football joke last season resurfaced. Yes, last season’s bottom feeding, offensive offense deserved all the ridicule heaped upon it, but can we turn the freaking page? With a new quarterback, new transfer receivers, stellar tight ends, one of the best running backs in the conference and a hopefully healthier and more-seasoned offensive line, only a fool would think the Hawkeye offense will sputter as bad as it did last fall.
I, for one, look forward to many servings of crow by “experts” who prefer to run with an old, tired narrative rather than actually examine the facts on the ground as this season dawns. Here’s hoping Iowa again hits 30 points-per-game and shuts the naysayers up. I think it’s going to happen.

Let me be clear – I am an unabashed, Pollyannaish, black-and-gold-colored glasses super fan – at least until the first loss brings me back to earth. And I think that’s how college fandom should be. We’re spending hundreds of dollars watching kids barely out of their teens bash their brains in for our entertainment; the least we can do is have their backs until they give us reason to despair.
Frankly, a few weeks ago, I was worried my general apathy about the college football landscape in general was going to diminish my interest in Iowa kicking off its season. Between mass transfers, re-alignment, money fights, gambling controversies and other off-season messes, I can’t say I’m bullish on the general direction of the sport I’ve loved since I was about 12. As excited as I am to go see an Iowa away game in the Coliseum or finally visit Autzen Stadium in Eugene, I think the erosion of regional rivalries and the abandonment of entire conferences (RIP Pac 12) is a sad and unhealthy trend. But then I’m also not the one being offered truckloads of television and streaming money to sell my history, either.

Misgivings about the future notwithstanding, the season is upon us, and my enthusiasm meter is refilling. I will go to the games, cheer my guts out for the Hawkeyes and argue with people on the internet about why they are much better than all the so-called pundit idiots give them credit for. You know, business as usual.

As is tradition with the first Tuesdays With Torbee column of the year, I’ll share my pre-season Iowa prognostication. This season, I’m going to make my predictions in quads – taking the first four, middle four and final four games and predicting the Hawkeye record in those quads – ranking the games from most likely to least likely to win.

Quad One

I see the Hawkeyes finishing this stretch 3-1. Most likely win is Western Michigan, followed by Utah State and Iowa State. I think the Cyclones will, as usual, give the Hawks fits. Nevertheless, down their starting quarterback and with other gambling-related suspensions, I think Iowa earns revenge from last year’s debacle in Kinnick. As for Penn State, Iowa will have a puncher’s chance, but this will be too much to overcome on the road.

Quad Two

This is the crucial stretch of the season. I rank the difficulty order thus: Michigan State, Purdue, Minnesota, @Wisconsin. I love that three-of-four are at home. In fact, I love it so much I’m predicting Iowa to get through this gauntlet 4-0, pulling an upset in Madison where the Badgers will still be a little off balance trying to install a brand new offensive identity and replacing defensive guru Jim Leonhard as defensive coordinator. If the Hawkeyes get through this section sitting at 7-1 overall, this will be a special season. And I think the likelihood is pretty good!

Quad Three

Difficulty ranking I see as Illinois, @Nebraska, Rutgers, @Northwestern. I think Iowa drops one of either Illinois or at Nebraska and wins the remaining three. I don’t know which idea I hate worse – two losses in a row to Bielema-led Illinois or a second straight loss to the Cornhuskers. Both make me throw up in my mouth a little, but I think we have to brace ourselves for at least one of those being a loss. I think Rutgers and Northwestern are both flat out bad teams, so at worst, Iowa should go 2-2 here, but I’m putting my marker on 3-1

Overall
If my predictions hold, Iowa will be 10-2, 7-2 in the Big 10 and heading for Indy. They should have been there last year, so this will go a long way toward settling some of the more disgruntled fans down. Beat one of the East’s big three – unlikely but not impossible – and this will be Kirk Ferentz’ best turnaround job since 2015.

Let’s do it!

Bored Disinterest GIF

There were a million extenuating circumstances with that team, but you already know that. Fickell has acknowledged that he was not ready to be thrust into that position under those circumstances, but he learned from it.

He’s an excellent football coach who is going to excel at Wisconsin. Underestimate him at your own peril.
Heard the exact same thing about Scott Frost.

Not worried.

Iowa is headed by a Hall of Fame head coach. I'm sure Luke Fickell is football smart and will do a fine job. But Ferentz has gone head-to-head with better coaches and beaten them (Paterno, Alvarez, Saban, Meyer, etc. etc.) so no reason to fear anyone.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Yeah, the shit-talking about Iowa’s offense is tired. Let the bit go.
Well maybe Kirk should fix it. 20+ years of mediocre to trash, mostly. The defense is the exact opposite. Once Norm got his guys and the weight room got going, the defense has been mostly good to awesome.

The biggest issue for the line will be keeping McNamara on the field. Offense is going to need to be at least average. D will be good but not at the level of the past couple yrs.

As the QB and o-line go, Iowa will go.

I sure's heck hope Cade can take a beating, because teams are going to stress that line big time (following last year's "playbook so to speak)...they're going to make that line prove they can handle the pressure.

I do NOT want to find out just how good or bad Hill and Lainez (sp?) are this early. I'd say if Cade plays and finishes every game, it'll be a good to great season.

If not...

Tuesdays with Torbee​

Iowa Football

Quad One

Quad Two

Quad Three

Overall

Let’s do it!
Congrats on your continued gig @torbee
Journalism is becoming a lost art.

Doc did a very, very good job of assessing this in a recent Athletic column I'll copy/paste below (though ALL Iowa fans should subscribe to The Athletic just for Doc's coverage alone).

It made me feel more optimistic, and Doc isn't one to sugarcoat things when they're bad:

How Kirk Ferentz crafts his offensive lines: Will Iowa’s meet the standard?​

Sep 11, 2021; Ames, Iowa, USA; Iowa Hawkeyes offensive lineman Nick DeJong (56) blocks against Iowa State Cyclones linebacker Jake Hummel (35) at Jack Trice Stadium. The Hawkeyes won 27-17.  Mandatory Credit: Reese Strickland-USA TODAY Sports

By Scott Dochterman
Aug 22, 2023

IOWA CITY, Iowa — When one strips away the wins, the accolades and the fancy facilities, what Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz stakes his reputation upon is how he molds offensive lines.

From 1981 to 1989, Ferentz built the Hawkeyes’ offensive line into one of the nation’s best units. As an offensive line coach with the Baltimore Ravens, Ferentz helped develop Jonathan Ogden into a Hall of Fame offensive tackle. Under Ferentz, the Hawkeyes have had six offensive linemen selected in the first round of the NFL Draft — second most among college football programs — in the last two decades. Ferentz’s best Iowa protege, Marshal Yanda, is a likely Pro Football Hall of Fame selection and was a third-round pick in 2007.

That history built a foundation but didn’t block anything besides a legacy last fall. Iowa’s offensive line was ravaged by inexperience, attrition and injuries. Only 13 starts came from upperclassmen and just five from an original scholarship lineman. The center flipped over from defensive tackle, the left tackle had lingering issues with a dislocated kneecap and inconsistency plagued every position. It led to 38 sacks — a 15-year high — and 2.92 yards per carry.

But one step at a time, the offensive line has grown. Left tackle Mason Richman had surgery in January to repair the ligament around his kneecap and it has bolstered his confidence. Center Logan Jones no longer has to think like Rimington Award winner Tyler Linderbaum; he now can react like the first-rounder. The lumps the offensive line has taken in games against Big Ten defenses have aided its development of more than a thousand scout-team reps.

“We’re not there yet by any stretch,” Ferentz said. “But I think we’ll have a chance maybe to play a level where it kind of meets the standard we’re looking for. And it’s not because I haven’t tried. There are a million things that factor into it.

“That’s one area I know a little something about in football: That’s about it. I’ve been saying you really can’t microwave maturity. You just can’t do it. That is a position where maturity really shows up.”

https://theathletic.com/4791302/2023/08/21/iowa-football-offense-statistics-brian-ferentz/
For a developmental program like Iowa, the ideal situation up front is to start at least three multiyear upperclassmen, perhaps a talented sophomore and then rotate a senior or junior with an underclassman. Then one of Ferentz’s late-blooming “good stories” would emerge. For the better part of a generation, that philosophy served Iowa both in annual competition and program maintenance.

But in 2021, the pipeline tapped out. Iowa’s 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes struggled to produce capable linemen. The two most promising candidates — the late Cody Ince and Justin Britt — suffered career-ending injuries. Others either didn’t reach expectations, transferred or both. Then injuries shredded the unit. At best it looked ordinary. Against good defenses, the line was exposed.

Last year, the Hawkeyes faced seven of the nation’s top 14 statistical defenses. Any upward trajectory was muted by the quality and growth of its opponent.

Offensive line coaches often deal with numbers because position flexibility is expected. Iowa wants at least seven, maybe eight, linemen available to play winning football every Saturday. Offensive line coach George Barnett walked into a depleted room in 2021 “having a couple of headliners and then patches.” There was Linderbaum, a unanimous first-team All-American, flanked by several linemen seeing action for the first time. It was even worse in 2022 when the youngsters forced to play too early in 2021 still were developing and there was no All-Big Ten lineman to help in a pinch. Injuries were rampant.

“I think you block people and play winning football with juniors and seniors,” Barnett said. “I think there’s a maturation process at that position the closer you get to the ball.”

But for the first time since 2020, Iowa might have a unit with enough depth and talent to compete the way it wants. The Hawkeyes return five players up front with double-digit career starts, plus two grad transfers who were multiyear starters. In addition, there are rotational linemen from last year with spot starts making a push.
“I think we have some competition in the group, which we haven’t had,” Ferentz said. “We’ve been trying to survive. Now we’ve got competition, and maybe with a little bit of luck, we’ll probably be able to play at the tempo we want to play at.

“That’s our goal. We’re not there yet, but I feel a lot better.”
Jones (6 feet 3, 290 pounds) is the linchpin to Iowa’s resurgence up front. A knee injury cost Jones all but two games of the 2021 season. Ferentz sought Jones to switch to center and potentially replace Linderbaum. A deep pool at defensive tackle made the flip easier to handle.

With a program-record 700-pound squat, Jones has uncommon strength for an average-sized body. He also has rare explosiveness, but it became an issue for him last year. Teammates and coaches mentioned Linderbaum’s quickness off the ball, and Jones strived to match it. That caused several bad snaps as he developed muscle memory and a better mental approach.

“I’m a lot more comfortable with what I’m doing and the calls that I’m making,” Jones said. “I know what I need to do now. I know how I need to do it, why I need to do it, just everything that I didn’t really know last year. I know the why conceptually of our offense: why I need to get there; why I need to get vertical; where the backs are hitting, just things like that.”

“Logan probably should get a medal for the way he played last year,” Ferentz said. “Because what he did was so difficult, moving him in March and then starting every game. He played pretty well last year. Everything he does is just at such a high level. So to think he’s not going to be better this year and next year, like seriously?”
Richman (6-6, 312) has 25 starts at left tackle, which included 12 games in 2021. In previous eras, Richman would have rotated at guard that season, and perhaps kicked outside last year. Instead, he received an education against some of college football’s top defensive ends over the last two years. Losing those one-on-one matchups, combined with fighting a lingering knee issue, dipped his confidence.

“He can be an overthinker because he’s really intelligent,” Barnett said. “He cares so dang much. He’s starting to play with a little more rhythm and feel and not worrying about this and worrying about that.”
That shit could be posted any year pre season.

We have 3 o-line coaches on staff.

Shit or get off the pot.

Reactions: Bierhalter
The biggest issue for the line will be keeping McNamara on the field. Offense is going to need to be at least average. D will be good but not at the level of the past couple yrs.
I believe the line is currently set at 8 wins and it seems like the easiest bet of all time. This team will walk to 8 wins.

Unless Cade gets hurt, and that, is how Vegas paid for all those shiny lights.

Reactions: tumorboy
Do some investigative reporting and find out what all the starters are making in NIL. Whats the average NIL take for a Hawkeye Football starter?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Well maybe Kirk should fix it. 20+ years of mediocre to trash, mostly. The defense is the exact opposite. Once Norm got his guys and the weight room got going, the defense has been mostly good to awesome.
I don’t disagree, I’m not arguing that at all.

All me and @torbee are saying is that hearing about 2022’s offense is getting old. We’ve had a year to get all the jokes out and to keep bringing it up; it’s a new season now and let’s let it play out.

Iowa needs a new OC. FSU went through that with Jeff Bowden. It's easy to see.
Lol if you really believe thats true.

KF admitted he sits in the back of the O's team meetings.

All the offense goes through KF. Who ever the OC is has to figure out how to get a new version of a play with the same overall scheme.

Wiffs in recruiting, other than TE, injuries along with a run game getting 2.something ypc and QB ratings of 100 and 88. Everyone connected to the O has been a part of the past two seasons.

SP gets sacked by one badger while 4 hawkeyes turn around to watch. No other badger in site.

A55I9221.jpg

[photo Daily Iowan]

Reactions: torbee

Healthier offensive line wasn't the issue. Lack of talent and/or coaching was last year. Too many guys on the field who frankly looked either confused or watching.

Lol if you really believe thats true.

KF admitted he sits in the back of the O's team meetings.

All the offense goes through KF. Who ever the OC is has to figure out how to get a new version of a play with the same overall scheme.

Wiffs in recruiting, other than TE, injuries along with a run game getting 2.something ypc and QB ratings of 100 and 88. Everyone connected to the O has been a part of the past two seasons.

SP gets sacked by one badger while 4 hawkeyes turn around to watch. No other badger in site.

A55I9221.jpg

[photo Daily Iowan]
All last season I said it - and I'll say it again: CAN'T BLOCK? CAN'T WIN.

I don't care of you have the love child of Vince Lombardi and Bill Walsh calling plays, you won't gain yards or score points on offense if you have a poor performing o-line. Which Iowa did last year for the reasons listed in Doc's article. This season's line should be better, and if Iowa can get to even slightly below average on offense - quite achievable - there is no reason they can't hit double digit wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT