ADVERTISEMENT

TV Experts

My personal experience: Sony TVs have been the best quality and longest lasting for me... recommend staying away from Samsung TVs.

I bought a cheap LG TV (first one) for my outdoor patio in Florida, it was a surprisingly good TV, especially in a harsh humidity and wet climate.

My LG has lasted a long time but my Samsung picture is way better (both are 4k 65in) You can get some good deals at Costco but the best time of year to buy is end of January beginning of February (super bowl, new models coming out). It becomes really what you think the best picture is. Like someone else said stop by Best Buy, Costco and compare and just go with what you like.

My LG has lasted a long time but my Samsung picture is way better (both are 4k 65in) You can get some good deals at Costco but the best time of year to buy is end of January beginning of February (super bowl, new models coming out). It becomes really what you think the best picture is. Like someone else said stop by Best Buy, Costco and compare and just go with what you like.

Stay away from purchasing from Best Buy. FWIW. I have a friend that works there, and if it wasn't for employee discount, he would never buy from them

I can't comment good or bad on LG's but I've always bought Samsung. I've had a 40" in the basement for 12 years that still works like new. Honestly if you are buying from the store just look at em and decide which picture you think is best. Is it just for TV? Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about the little specszI
I have a 2014 Samsung 65" in my garage here in Urbandale that works like a charm. I thought the winters would kill it but it's amazing. My garage is not heated. Going to Best Buy or wherever only confused me because all the pictures looked so much different. Is this the best the best picture or that one? like you said you go by/buy what you like best.

They are known to have damaged goods. Just from what I've been told from an employee
Like passing off open box as new? Or like getting the flawed clothes at TJ MAXX but thinking you’re getting well made garments, by design? or they just are globally clumsy dropping fragile boxes?

Last edited:
What will you be hooking up to it? Rabbit ears, 4K player, XBOX Series X, 1080i cable via HDMI? All those TVs support different features that may or may not matter to you. OLED tends to burn in if you play the same video game all the time although that hasn't happened to me yet. Sites like Best Buy usually have a good break down. If your devices don't matter, go with your eyes and budget. Happy shopping!
If you’re a newb and judging a TV’s picture on how it compares to the TV next to it at a place like Best Buy then you’re probably falling for the hustle.

• Haha
Reactions: RothMatt
Not sure what this means. Why wouldn’t you want what looks the best?
Did you you know that TVs have picture settings and that the people that sell them will adjust those settings to move certain TVs? Put a tv in dynamic mode between two in dark mode and suckers eat that shit it up.

Did you you know that TVs have picture settings and that the people that sell them will adjust those settings to move certain TVs? Put a tv in dynamic mode between two in dark mode and suckers eat it up.
And? At the store, all of the displays are set on dynamic mode but some look way better.

I strongly recommend using the website https://www.rtings.com/. There's no better place that goes as in depth as they do with TV/Monitor reviews. They even have rankings for budget TVs, for TVs per size like 55"/65"/75" and so on.

They currently rank the Samsung S90C OLED as the best standard TV on the market.

I don't understand why they just don't make most lakes unlimited HP at no wake speeds?
It has been an ongoing battle for years. I think the main reason is the people that live on the lake and the issue of some (and only a few) that do not go by the no wake rule. Plus, Coralville Lake is right next to McBride.

If it's for games, you need to make sure that whatever tv you get, it has to have native 120khz refresh rate. Don't believe the ones that call it different things like motion sensor or motion rate 120. The key word is native 120khz refresh rate. If you only have 60khz on your tv, there is no reason to upgrade your console to current generation.

Just an fyi for any people that may be looking for a TV with gaming capabilities.

I bought a 55" LG 3D TV from Amazon back in 2012. The interface was wonky, but I have my own remote. Don't use the 3D feature as much as I thought I would, but it still works and is startling on some movies like Dredd. Has a lot of miles on it without a speck of trouble and whenever my son comes down and sees it, he remarks on the great picture.

If it's for games, you need to make sure that whatever tv you get, it has to have native 120khz refresh rate. Don't believe the ones that call it different things like motion sensor or motion rate 120. The key word is native 120khz refresh rate. If you only have 60khz on your tv, there is no reason to upgrade your console to current generation.

Just an fyi for any people that may be looking for a TV with gaming capabilities.
The 120khz refresh rate TVs will support 60FPS on labeled games on the XBox Series X, even some older games will get a 60FPS boost plus HDR.

Just did a quick search. Room lighting might matter to you.

I think room lighting is the best starting factor.

OLED is best for a dark, home theater or basement type of TV room.

LED or QLED is best for bright, upstairs or family room type of TV room. If this two, QLED provides a seemingly sharper picture due to better color saturation.

I think room lighting is the best starting factor.

OLED is best for a dark, home theater or basement type of TV room.

LED or QLED is best for bright, upstairs or family room type of TV room. If this two, QLED provides a seemingly sharper picture due to better color saturation.
To me OLED is the brightest and most vivid in both light and dark rooms.

The 120khz refresh rate TVs will support 60FPS on labeled games on the XBox Series X, even some older games will get a 60FPS boost plus HDR.
Yes they will but to get the maximum from games that are being created today like NBA 2k, Madden, etc. etc. you should have 120k to get the best experience. Your tv will still play it but it caps at 60k.

I can't comment good or bad on LG's but I've always bought Samsung. I've had a 40" in the basement for 12 years that still works like new. Honestly if you are buying from the store just look at em and decide which picture you think is best. Is it just for TV? Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about the little specs
I've had 2 samsung tvs. One crapped out in 6 weeks, the other one lasted about 2 years.

So, what is the difference, and can you notice between the below models, besides the price.

Getting a 65" TV.

OLED 4K UHD
QLED 4K UHD
LED 4K UHD

How are LG TVs?
I've been selling Sony, LG and Samsung for 20 years or so. All of the Salesmen here own Sony's...

Currently the QD OLED's seem to be the best with the incredible blacks of OLED and the extra brightness of Quantum Dot. Sony had the first OLED TV's many years ago with very small size and very expensive price tag. LG started off the new OLED era and is currently supplying the OLED panels to Sony for (6) years or so and now to Samsung the last 1-2 years. Samsung is late to the OLED game and relied on the QLED name the last 5-6 years to fool Customers into thinking it was an OLED, which it is definitely not...

There are obvious differences between all TV's, though the pictures have gotten pretty good across the board with the Big 3 Manufacturers. We set all our TV's at flat or regular levels, never dynamic. Pretty easy to see the QD OLED TV is the best, but they have the big price tag. You get what you pay for...

I've been selling Sony, LG and Samsung for 20 years or so. All of the Salesmen here own Sony's...

Currently the QD OLED's seem to be the best with the incredible blacks of OLED and the extra brightness of Quantum Dot. Sony had the first OLED TV's many years ago with very small size and very expensive price tag. LG started off the new OLED era and is currently supplying the OLED panels to Sony for (6) years or so and now to Samsung the last 1-2 years. Samsung is late to the OLED game and relied on the QLED name the last 5-6 years to fool Customers into thinking it was an OLED, which it is definitely not...

There are obvious differences between all TV's, though the pictures have gotten pretty good across the board with the Big 3 Manufacturers. We set all our TV's at flat or regular levels, never dynamic. Pretty easy to see the QD OLED TV is the best, but they have the big price tag. You get what you pay for...
Just curious why you would not set the tv displays on dynamic. Why not have each of them look their best?

Just curious why you would not set the tv displays on dynamic. Why not have each of them look their best?
Dynamic mode is not the best, it is the brightest. It washes out the colors, reduces black levels, can overdrive the TV and is not as accurate. I think it's best use is on a wall of TV's at Best Buy, the brightest TV wins...

Reactions: Tenacious E
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT