ADVERTISEMENT

Twitter ‘will need to be extremely hardcore,’ Musk says, telling staff to sign pledge or leave

I completely agree, but you need to have a goal that distracts from the work and treatment of employees. No one believes in him at Twitter.
He’s only been an asshole at Twitter so far. That’s not going to play - he needs to show the vision soon, at least in-house.

Someone posted a book about Welch and how in addition to destroying GE, he was a significant contributor to gutting the industrial midwest. I will see if I can find it in a search of HORT.

Edit - here it is. "The Man Who Broke Capitalism." See post #14 in this thread

The guy had GE soaring selling financial products no one at a real bank or insurer would touch.

Their longterm care insurance might be the single dumbest bet I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen some wildly dumb policies.

Thats because Musk is just winging it day by day.

Is he though? He directly interviewed/hired the first 5000(?) employees at SpaceX. He knows the type of employee he wants on his team and which kind he doesn’t.

Firing is the flip side of the hiring equation, he wants commitment not “i worked 2 days last quarter” because “I wasn’t really feeling it” type of employees.

Is he though? He directly interviewed/hired the first 5000(?) employees at SpaceX. He knows the type of employee he wants on his team and which kind he doesn’t.

Firing is the flip side of the hiring equation, he wants commitment not “i worked 2 days last quarter” because “I wasn’t really feeling it” type of employees.
to me this is likely about hitting the right (ie whatever some consulting firm like mckinsey told him) revenue/employee or manager/individual-contributor ratio or such productivity metric in their industry space.

Reactions: VodkaSam

He doesn’t want that though. He wants someone who works long hours. Who puts the company first. Who wakes up 20 years after their hire date, if they last that long and realizes they didn’t see any of their kids ball games.

Im not saying right/wrong. I’m saying that corporate america has become this. The expectation is that you will have no life. Even small employers. I work at a full time job. Also a part time job. The part time gig wants me to work full time hours as a prn employee. Tries to shame me into working full time hours. No thanks.

Elon is doing what he feels he needs to do to turn around Twitter, from all accounts he was handed a bloated lemon. I have zero problems with these moves, he wants to go fast on the retooling of the platform (that is smart). His mistake was buying it in the first place, now he has a real project on his hands and the subscription model only works when a lack of free content isn't readily available...unfortunate for him there is lots of free content out there for people to consume.

• Haha
Reactions: Rudolph
He doesn’t want that though. He wants someone who works long hours. Who puts the company first. Who wakes up 20 years after their hire date, if they last that long and realizes they didn’t see any of their kids ball games.

Im not saying right/wrong. I’m saying that corporate america has become this. The expectation is that you will have no life. Even small employers. I work at a full time job. Also a part time job. The part time gig wants me to work full time hours as a prn employee. Tries to shame me into working full time hours. No thanks.
i’m given to believe that women get paid a lot more than men in prn, is that true?

As far as I know he hasn't banned anyone for free speech. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the whole banning/crying about blue check marks had to do with people impersonating others.
7rN9rjj.jpeg

I can't understand the mentality of someone who works like that. The company would never show them loyalty or go above and beyond for them.

Right…but at Twitter so far he’s only been an asshole. Hasn’t brought the other things to balance it out. Didn’t mean to imply that he’s only been an asshole at Twitter.

Given that he fired a bunch of employees and then later called them and wanted them to come back to work, I don't think he fully knows what he's doing either.

He stepped outside of his expertise when it comes to Twitter.

I can't understand the mentality of someone who works like that. The company would never show them loyalty or go above and beyond for them.
Agreed. But people have become conditioned to accept that as part of work life. You have to put in huge amounts of overtime and extra work.

Reactions: Rudolph
Elon's foolishness in all of this is rushing things unnecessarily an pulling moves like the immediate termination if you don't agree to be hardkor.

Self inflected, avoidable, wounds. He can get his people and his adjustments to Twitter, the manner in which he's going at it is stupid.

I just find it interesting that the inner workings of Twitter garner so much attention while a company like Amazon is in the process of cutting 10K jobs but doesn't garner nearly as much attention or hand wringing...
You've got to be kidding. You think Amazon cutting 10,000 workers out of a force of over 1.5M garners as much attention as one of the world's richest people taking over an iconic brand, cutting at least half it's workforce, losing many significant sources of revenue, and losing substantial market value? Really?

GTFO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT