ADVERTISEMENT

Two Kentucky boosters have just pledged $4 million for basketball NIL. Our AD has to put pressure on boosters and alumni for NIL...

or both basketball and football will die a slow death. Basketball is basically there. I send money monthly to the Swarm, but we need our AD to cultivate some big money.
the death you are forecasting was perpetuated when it became ok to pay STUDENT athletes. many on here were 100% behind the payments without considering the reality that was bound to follow.

Why can't we get some corporate sponsors to contribute.....like, State Farm, John Deere, Wells Fargo, Principle Financial Group, Etc., is there some law that prevents them from contributing, instead of begging for hundred bucks here and there.

John Deere customers are more likely Iowa State grads and ISU has a good basketball program to fund and Iowa has a meh program. . Other corporations you mention have 50 other states to consider. Iowa has one good product i.e. a winner and that has been good for Catilin but doesn't move the needle for Iowa men's programs.

There are some Iowa specific/Iowa centric companies that can and do donate to NIL but the product is not exactly making Eastern Iowa fans excited so I can see why big money doesn't feel like throwing money down a rat hole.

I think things are only going to get worse unless the AD puts more focus on driving donations for NIL over donations to the Athletic department. The money that would move the needle is not that big---most of us on this board are probably paying $1000 or more a year for sports packages so we can see the Hawks but seems like most fans feel NIL is too dirty to contribute.

Lastly, I also don't think Fran and KF are really "hungry" to go out and raise NIL money.

• Sad
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
the death you are forecasting was perpetuated when it became ok to pay STUDENT athletes. many on here were 100% behind the payments without considering the reality that was bound to follow.

I don't have an answer to the problem but I'm not going to contribute to the problem. Maybe if I was a billionaire I would feel differently, but for me to give monthly just doesn't seem like it's going to provide a better product on the field/court. I just don't think there's enough money to make a difference and get the top players.

Lastly, I also don't think Fran and KF are really "hungry" to go out and raise NIL money.
Well, they need to be. Good teams are a result of NIL and aggressively working the portal. Unless you enjoy watching our middle school AV club intramural men’s basketball team.

• Love
Well, they need to be. Good teams are a result of NIL and aggressively working the portal. Unless you enjoy watching our middle school AV club intramural men’s basketball team.
I don't think of our team as middle school at all. They're a decent college team. The problem is these other schools are able to pick and choose the best players from every other team, so they basically have all-star teams. Every year these teams will have new players to pick from. I don't see how FM and KF can compete in that environment.

• Sad
Paying college athletes seems appropriate based on the money that they generate. The miss for me is NIL via fan contributions. I figure I pay enough for my stupid 2 month silubscription to BTN and the 3 months for Peacock, the occasional ticket and ice cream purchase! Payment should come from the universities tv contracts, ticket sales and residuals that are made from those high revenue sports.

Someone like Clark should have made 10-15 million this past year based on the amount of money she made for everyone else.

Paying college athletes seems appropriate based on the money that they generate. The miss for me is NIL via fan contributions. I figure I pay enough for my stupid 2 month silubscription to BTN and the 3 months for Peacock, the occasional ticket and ice cream purchase! Payment should come from the universities tv contracts, ticket sales and residuals that are made from those high revenue sports.

Someone like Clark should have made 10-15 million this past year based on the amount of money she made for everyone else.
Well we may be doomed to mediocrity then....unless someone knows Harry Stine, owner of Stine Seed in Adel, made Forbes billionaire list with over 9 billion I believe.

• Wow
Another perspective is that teams need to move out of the NCAA and form a new organization. This organization needs to view the NFL, NBA and WNBA as its competition. I think the reason(along with 22) that womens basketball is gaining steam is player recognition. While men's basketball is eroding due to top athletes going to the NBA and others changing teams, I barely know who is who on other teams anymore. Long gone are the days of hating Duke because of a Hurley or Hill. A Hill type player is now gone to the NBA after a modest Freshman season if there is upside. A Hurley is in the portal looking for the highest bidder... I think this also hurts the NBA specifically, a Hill type player has nothing to pull those interested in him up to view the NBA and watch his career because there is now little national recognition. That recognition used to come from someone playing in college at a high level for 3+ years.

College athletics needs to have a player monetary contract structure that makes it a hard decision to opt into the NBA or NFL and even transfer...

Last edited:
So you are justifying denying people the right to make a dollar fairly on the basis that you no longer get a free ride to watch your favorite teams? I'm not going to say others can't make money doing what they love to do just so I can get free entertainment from them.

I don't have an answer to the problem but I'm not going to contribute to the problem. Maybe if I was a billionaire I would feel differently, but for me to give monthly just doesn't seem like it's going to provide a better product on the field/court. I just don't think there's enough money to make a difference and get the top players.

After 4 tuitions, FB and BB season tickets in my family since the 70's, I-Club donations, and now I have to pay the players as well?

No thanks

So you are justifying denying people the right to make a dollar fairly on the basis that you no longer get a free ride to watch your favorite teams? I'm not going to say others can't make money doing what they love to do just so I can get free entertainment from them.
yeah, that’s partly right. I’m saying there were better answers than making high school seniors millionaires. I’m saying that now we have two professional leagues. I’m saying now some STUDENT athletes are getting rich while others are getting nothing. I’m saying there are no rules being followed with what is currently happening. I’m saying that allowing players to transfer based on a higher bidder is not what college athletics should be or was meant to be. Do I fault the athlete who goes out and markets themself…no not at all based on the system in place. But this is not working.

I always think back and laugh at how vehemently people argued with me just 15 years ago when the topic came to paying players.

To them, it was a fun little way to get on a soapbox and champion for something even they probably didn't think would happen, but argue as if it were this so tightly-held belief that they'd be willing to kill for it, they did................

All because someone told them they were wrong.

It's really unfortunate that so many cases in life come down to people having to learn their lessons about reality the hard way........... :(

I'm not the one on here telling people what to do with their money and taking potshots at them.
What I would tell people to do with their money is buy out Cael Sanderson's contract and have him disappear into the sunset never to be heard from again so that Iowa can get back to winning national championships in wrestling..........

And if that doesn't work then we use that money to make him disappear into the sunset..................:)

What kind of pressure can Beth put on boosters or alumni? Sounds like you have been watching too many mob movies

1000 dollars
I did the Swarm $1k allocated to men's basketball program figuring football gets most of it so need to earmark it. Was depressed when Brad mentioned how many season tic holders donated. Depressing that they will spend money on tickets and iclub donations but won't donate to NIL to have a good team to support. I could and would donate more if more passionate fans would get behind the Swarm. Or we may as well let these men's programs die and follow woman's basketball and lacrosse as they are good programs and could make them the best.

Reactions: curtisj157
I did the Swarm $1k allocated to men's basketball program figuring football gets most of it so need to earmark it. Was depressed when Brad mentioned how many season tic holders donated. Depressing that they will spend money on tickets and iclub donations but won't donate to NIL to have a good team to support. I could and would donate more if more passionate fans would get behind the Swarm. Or we may as well let these men's programs die and follow woman's basketball and lacrosse as they are good programs and could make them the best.

Are you going to continue to donate? Either way, why?

What I would tell people to do with their money is buy out Cael Sanderson's contract and have him disappear into the sunset never to be heard from again so that Iowa can get back to winning national championships in wrestling..........

And if that doesn't work then we use that money to make him disappear into the sunset..................:)
Agreed!

Iowa needs a billionaire sugar daddy or two to fund these things. There just aren't enough people to give $10 and have it amount to much and it's tough to get them to give more money when you are already asking season ticket holders to pay hundreds of dollars over base ticket price just to get seats. Until someone with a crap ton of money steps up, this is the reality of Iowa sports. And for the Fire Fran folks (for the record, I am ambivalent...I don't like the idea of firing him, but I wouldn't be upset if he left either), you think Kentucky is having a rough time finding a coach? "Well, sir, we can offer you $57,000 for NIL for men's basketball" isn't going to exactly get people to start beating down the door to come work there. You might get lucky and find a really good high school coach ready to make the jump. Of course, the second he does anything successful he'll be gone.

What? That your sports team wouldn't be able to compete anymore? It really sucks as an Iowa fan but the kids deserve to get the money when they're generating millions of dollars.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
What? That your sports team wouldn't be able to compete anymore? It really sucks as an Iowa fan but the kids deserve to get the money when they're generating millions of dollars.
but ALL the kids aren’t getting the money. these kids are gaming the system……one transfer after another always looking for a bigger payday. how about the seniors in high school who become millionaires? they haven’t done anything to generate income.

Why can't we get some corporate sponsors to contribute.....like, State Farm, John Deere, Wells Fargo, Principle Financial Group, Etc., is there some law that prevents them from contributing, instead of begging for hundred bucks here and there.
Small annual donations from thousands of fan would be ideal. I read out of all football tickets holders only 400 contribute. It’s an awful number

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
NCAA and ADs need to get off their asses and figure out a way to pay athletes directly. Figure out some salary cap structure so the sports are entertaining. If the transfer portal is unable to be reigned in, follow the NBA model where someone that stays at the same school can get paid more than someone transferring (e.g., your cap goes up if you have long tenured players at the school). Someone needs to think from the fans perspective at a leadership level.

but ALL the kids aren’t getting the money. these kids are gaming the system……one transfer after another always looking for a bigger payday. how about the seniors in high school who become millionaires? they haven’t done anything to generate income.
All the employees at your company aren't getting the money either. Some are perceived to be more valuable. It's no different.

They need to change some rules for sure but I'm not mad players are getting paid after getting nothing all these years.

Another perspective is that teams need to move out of the NCAA and form a new organization. This organization needs to view the NFL, NBA and WNBA as its competition. I think the reason(along with 22) that womens basketball is gaining steam is player recognition. While men's basketball is eroding due to top athletes going to the NBA and others changing teams, I barely know who is who on other teams anymore. Long gone are the days of hating Duke because of a Hurley or Hill. A Hill type player is now gone to the NBA after a modest Freshman season if there is upside. A Hurley is in the portal looking for the highest bidder... I think this also hurts the NBA specifically, a Hill type player has nothing to pull those interested in him up to view the NBA and watch his career because there is now little national recognition. That recognition used to come from someone playing in college at a high level for 3+ years.

College athletics needs to have a player monetary contract structure that makes it a hard decision to opt into the NBA or NFL and even transfer...
It’s all a mess. College athletics are dead. Why pretend ? They have all gone pro. Coaches do not give a shit about their schools. Players don’t give a shit. Only people who care about their schools are the fans and they are the ones being shit on. Donate to the NIL? F that blackmail crap, I will not give a dime just so my Pretend college football team can maybe be better. It cost Tenn. 8-9 million for their bowl win over Iowa. Was it really worth it?

I liked it better when there was no NIL and the boosters handed over cash in a brown paper bag. The open market pay-to-play has just pushed the price up to unsustainable levels. Iowa couldn’t compete before and they’re struggling to do so now. In that way it’s not much different. It’s still bribery; it’s just legal these days. The ones who did it the old-fashioned way are better at it because they’re more practiced at it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT