ADVERTISEMENT

Two Kentucky boosters have just pledged $4 million for basketball NIL. Our AD has to put pressure on boosters and alumni for NIL...

Unfortunately, it will take Iowa to hit rock bottom in sports before the dimwits figure out that supporting SWARM is the ONLY way we are going to compete.

Some of us "dimwits" feel the current NIL system needs major correcting, not our lack of enthusiasm for embracing it.

Once 'the powers that be' figure out that only a handful of schools/programs are going to be able to bankroll multi-million dollar teams year in and year out, they will be forced to enact rules that level the playing field or at least tries to level it.

If not, fans will eventually figure out how this new age of mercenary "student athlete" isn't what they want, and will start to shift their interest and finances towards other entertainment avenues. Basically, the people promoting this current nonsense will have effectively killed the golden goose.

I reject the idea that if you're a fan then you must donate to the NIL collective, otherwise just go away.
There are a variety of ways to respond to the current pay for play state as a fan in how you spend your money and time. I'm not going to label anyone as foolish for giving money. At the same time, I don't care in the least if someone thinks that you're not a real fan unless you donate.

I reject the idea that if you're a fan then you must donate to the NIL collective, otherwise just go away.
There are a variety of ways to respond to the current pay for play state as a fan in how you spend your money and time. I'm not going to label anyone as foolish for giving money. At the same time, I don't care in the least if someone thinks that you're not a real fan unless you donate.
It definitely doesn't make you less of a fan if you don't donate. Just like it didn't make you less of a fan of you didn't buy season tickets and/or donate extra to get better seats.

What I do think it does is make people look a bit foolish that rag on the programs/coaches for lack of recruiting if they aren't giving to the Swarm.

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
doesn’t alter the fact that college athletes received benefits prior to nil. which is what I stated.
Is there anyone alive who would argue that free college tuition, lodging, and meals is not a benefit?

You have four previous posts in this thread more or less complaining about college athletes making money. There is unanimous legal agreement that to prohibit student-athletes from making NIL income is a violation of the Sherman Act, it’s unconstitutional.

One can continue to point out that outside student-athlete income previously violated NCAA regulations. The NCAA lost. My point is this: there is no benefit to continuing to explain how things used to be. Those days aren’t coming back.

Last edited:
Some of us "dimwits" feel the current NIL system needs major correcting, not our lack of enthusiasm for embracing it.

Once 'the powers that be' figure out that only a handful of schools/programs are going to be able to bankroll multi-million dollar teams year in and year out, they will be forced to enact rules that level the playing field or at least tries to level it.

If not, fans will eventually figure out how this new age of mercenary "student athlete" isn't what they want, and will start to shift their interest and finances towards other entertainment avenues. Basically, the people promoting this current nonsense will have effectively killed the golden goose.
Who is the powers that be? Certainly not the NCAA, they are hanging by a thread in fear they are declared not needed.

Companies like John Deere are publicly traded corporations.

Can't imagine shareholders would be thrilled with giving $$$ to a NIL.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
It definitely doesn't make you less of a fan if you don't donate. Just like it didn't make you less of a fan of you didn't buy season tickets and/or donate extra to get better seats.

What I do think it does is make people look a bit foolish that rag on the programs/coaches for lack of recruiting if they aren't giving to the Swarm.
So who get's the make the rules on who can bitch about the coaches?
If I donate $1,000 does that give me the right to bitch?
What kind of player can we get for my $1,000?
Why should I have to donate money in order to expect a coach to live up to their salary?
Is the coach going to guarantee me 5 star players if I donate or are we going to keep getting 3-4 star?

College football is entertainment and that's why I watch and buy tickets. If it's now going to be an investment then I want some guarantees I'm going to get something for my money.

Is there anyone alive who would argue that free college tuition, lodging, and meals is not a benefit?

You have four previous posts in this thread more or less complaining about college athletes making money. There is unanimous legal agreement that to prohibit student-athletes from making NIL income is a violation of the Sherman Act, it’s unconstitutional.

One can continue to point out that outside student-athlete income previously violated NCAA regulations. The NCAA lost. My point is this: there is no benefit to continuing to explain how things used to be. Those days aren’t coming back.
and my point was and is the reality of nil was going to create serious problems. I have a problem with the results far more than the legality of the act. you add things that were never said but if that’s how you make your point, fine. I really do not care how things used to be. I care about the reality of the situation now.

and my point was and is the reality of nil was going to create serious problems. I have a problem with the results far more than the legality of the act. you add things that were never said but if that’s how you make your point, fine. I really do not care how things used to be. I care about the reality of the situation now.
My apologies, I probably replied too aggressively.

Yes of course there were easily predictable problems. But NIL was a likelihood since at least 2019. I hope the discussion moves on to proposals to improve competitiveness and regulating NIL abuses instead of decrying it which, IMO, is utterly useless.

A lot of folks are already walking away from so-called collegiate sports. The rich will get richer and 95%+/- of programs will be cannon fodder. Fans will grow tired of the same teams winning championships every year and their team getting pummeled every year. The only saving grace would be if some greater entity regulates the current free-for-all before it is too late.

JMHO, but I find it very sad and a destructive force to collegiate sports.

A lot of folks are already walking away from so-called collegiate sports. The rich will get richer and 95%+/- of programs will be cannon fodder. Fans will grow tired of the same teams winning championships every year and their team getting pummeled every year. The only saving grace would be if some greater entity regulates the current free-for-all before it is too late.

JMHO, but I find it very sad and a destructive force to collegiate sports.
If folks are walking away, they are being replaced by an even larger number of fans. Football attendance and viewership is higher in the two years since NIL was allowed. Declining attendance and viewership for the major sports may eventually transpire but all signs point to increases. The Big Ten recently signed a massive media rights deal.

I do agree that regulation will eventually happen but at this point in time, it appears unlikely that the NCAA will be that entity

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
The peanut gallery can snicker all they want about NIL and Swarm, but they'll learn the hard way. If Iowa isn't competitive in basketball or football don't say we didn't tell you all what lack of a competitive NIL would do.

The peanut gallery can snicker all they want about NIL and Swarm, but they'll learn the hard way. If Iowa isn't competitive in basketball or football don't say we didn't tell you all what lack of a competitive NIL would do.
Most of the peanut gallery don’t care. If Iowa drops in competition and is no longer a tier 1 or 2 school (we’re probably a tier 2 or 3 at best is football, tier 3-4 in bball) we’ll be fine.
It’s a game to us. Entertainment.

Those that want to contribute and give 18-24 year olds money….. go ahead. And believe you are making a difference in the program.

Others (like myself) will watch and not put much thought into wins or loses.
The outcome is secondary to me and many others.
And if it gets so bad where Iowa is consistently 2-10 and barely scraping by? Oh well. It’s a game.
My prioritizes are my faith, family/friends and……… golf.
“For the love of money is the root of all evil”

Reactions: DewHawk
Most of the peanut gallery don’t care. If Iowa drops in competition and is no longer a tier 1 or 2 school (we’re probably a tier 2 or 3 at best is football, tier 3-4 in bball) we’ll be fine.
It’s a game to us. Entertainment.

Those that want to contribute and give 18-24 year olds money….. go ahead. And believe you are making a difference in the program.

Others (like myself) will watch and not put much thought into wins or loses.
The outcome is secondary to me and many others.
And if it gets so bad where Iowa is consistently 2-10 and barely scraping by? Oh well. It’s a game.
My prioritizes are my faith, family/friends and……… golf.
“For the love of money is the root of all evil”
Not making the conference tournament and NCAA Tournament in basketball doesn't seem very entertaining to me. For just a little less than $20 a month you can join Swarm.

Not making the conference tournament and NCAA Tournament in basketball doesn't seem very entertaining to me. For just a little less than $20 a month you can join Swarm.
Are you going to guarantee the NCAA tournament if I join the Swarm? What's less entertaining is to be paying and not getting results. This site is going to be entertaining when posters start to bitch at players who are making $500,000.

Are you going to guarantee the NCAA tournament if I join the Swarm? What's less entertaining is to be paying and not getting results. This site is going to be entertaining when posters start to bitch at players who are making $500,000.
I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I do know without competitive NIL that Iowa will not be in that picture. I am part of the crowd that definitely has Fran fatigue, but I also acknowledge he hasn't been able to land some portal targets due to NIL.

I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I do know without competitive NIL that Iowa will not be in that picture. I am part of the crowd that definitely has Fran fatigue, but I also acknowledge he hasn't been able to land some portal targets due to NIL.

If Perkins is getting $500,000 then this is a losing battle. It's going to cost millions just to remain a bubble team. I don't see the top players coming to Iowa, for one, Iowa will have to outbid the other teams for those players, two, I don't think the top players will play for FM. I get it that people are in a panic about the future of Iowa basketball, but before throwing money at it, people really need to understand the environment and what the possible outcomes could be. I agree, without NIL Iowa basketball could be terrible, but I'm not sure there's a good outcome even with NIL money. If Iowa wants to play the new game (NIL), then they're going to at least have a different leader running the show.

The only thing I can guarantee is we will become a cellar dweller in the B1G and at some point be asked to drop out of the conference and head for the Mo Valley Conference or some such.

All of you who are bad mouthing our NIL efforts are going to be fair game if you bitch during the season about the coaches or the product on the field.

The only thing I can guarantee is we will become a cellar dweller in the B1G and at some point be asked to drop out of the conference and head for the Mo Valley Conference or some such.

All of you who are bad mouthing our NIL efforts are going to be fair game if you bitch during the season about the coaches or the product on the field.
You bring up an interesting point. I think you're more likely to see cuts made on the football side of things where Iowa appears to be much better positioned.

If a coach can't put a winning team on the court than that's on him. Maybe he shouldn't be the coach. I'd love a job were I get millions of dollars and I don't have to produce or use an excuse that other people didn't pay enough for me to be successful.

If a coach can't put a winning team on the court than that's on him. Maybe he shouldn't be the coach. I'd love a job were I get millions of dollars and I don't have to produce or use an excuse that other people didn't pay enough for me to be successful.
LOL - you don't have a clue about sports!

If Perkins is getting $500,000 then this is a losing battle. It's going to cost millions just to remain a bubble team. I don't see the top players coming to Iowa, for one, Iowa will have to outbid the other teams for those players, two, I don't think the top players will play for FM. I get it that people are in a panic about the future of Iowa basketball, but before throwing money at it, people really need to understand the environment and what the possible outcomes could be. I agree, without NIL Iowa basketball could be terrible, but I'm not sure there's a good outcome even with NIL money. If Iowa wants to play the new game (NIL), then they're going to at least have a different leader running the show.
You're right that Iowa basketball probably never competes with the upper tier. I'll be damned though if I'm going to sit on my ass while watching them become a cellar dweller. I'll donate in the hopes we still see them as a regular 7-10 seed in the tournament. It disgusts me seeing Iowa State, Illinois, and Nebraska basketball NIL in a much stronger spot.

Translation = I would rather see the Athletic Department fail before I give up Cigs for a week to make a donation.

LOL - you don't have a clue about sports!

There's your problem, you're still treating this like college sports. It's now become a business. The players used to be not-for-profit business and now they've reclassified to for-profit. I'm not playing that game where I have to pay for a better team.

Reactions: Kinnick 4 Prez
Translation = I would rather see the Athletic Department fail before I give up Cigs for a week to make a donation.

I don't smoke but your statement is interesting. You're expecting me to give up something in my life in order to help an athletic department. Try that in a small town.

It's very liberal of you to want me to fund other people with my money.

I don't smoke but your statement is interesting. You're expecting me to give up something in my life in order to help an athletic department. Try that in a small town.

It's very liberal of you to want me to fund other people with my money.
You're not a fan of Iowa Athletics, we get it.

You're right that Iowa basketball probably never competes with the upper tier. I'll be damned though if I'm going to sit on my ass while watching them become a cellar dweller. I'll donate in the hopes we still see them as a regular 7-10 seed in the tournament. It disgusts me seeing Iowa State, Illinois, and Nebraska basketball NIL in a much stronger spot.
That's your choice. I personally don't want to fund a bunch of 1 and done players where they're always looking for more money. To me that's not college basketball.

or both basketball and football will die a slow death. Basketball is basically there. I send money monthly to the Swarm, but we need our AD to cultivate some big money.
Not that many big donors in iowa compared to some states. MBB is a lost cause- can not compete with basketball majors in donations (Kansas, u conn, ky, nc etc). Nil is not hat important in FB where classes and teams have more players to develop

200w.gif

You're not a fan of Iowa Athletics, we get it.

You believe what you want. My dad graduated from Iowa, my wife and i did, and I have a kid finishing his PHD. I've paid a lot of money to Iowa and have been to many sporting events. I have a hawkeye office with many signed items. I'm very much into the games, but the games have been ruined by NIL. I didn't ruin the game, and I hate where things are going but that doesn't mean the burden of trying to fix the game falls onto me and how much money I'm willing to donate. The game needs to be fixed by fixing NIL, and until that happens I'm just going to wait it out and hope someday college sports will return.

Reactions: Kinnick 4 Prez
Why can't we get some corporate sponsors to contribute.....like, State Farm, John Deere, Wells Fargo, Principle Financial Group, Etc., is there some law that prevents them from contributing, instead of begging for hundred bucks here and there.
John Deere might be a possibility even though it’s in Illinois, but State Farm? It’s just down the road from Champaign and literally bankrolled Illinois’ last multi-million dollar arena renovation. I get they supported Caitlin Clark, but come on … everyone knows she was a uniquely transcendent figure that was bigger than women’s basketball.

You believe what you want. My dad graduated from Iowa, my wife and i did, and I have a kid finishing his PHD. I've paid a lot of money to Iowa and have been to many sporting events. I have a hawkeye office with many signed items. I'm very much into the games, but the games have been ruined by NIL. I didn't ruin the game, and I hate where things are going but that doesn't mean the burden of trying to fix the game falls onto me and how much money I'm willing to donate. The game needs to be fixed by fixing NIL, and until that happens I'm just going to wait it out and hope someday college sports will return.
Translation = I'm not a fan.

Translation = I'm not a fan.
Like everything else in this world, you don’t get to make the rules. You just keep giving your money. Maybe you should triple your donation because I’m not seeing all these portal guys committing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT