ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. prosecutors ask Supreme Court to quickly take up Trump immunity claims

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Special counsel Jack Smith on Monday asked the Supreme Court to quickly consider former president Donald Trump’s claims that he is immune from prosecution for alleged election obstruction in 2020 — an aggressive legal move designed to keep Trump’s trial on track for early next year.

Sign up for Fact Checker, our weekly review of what's true, false or in-between in politics.

The filing by the prosecutor seeks to essentially leapfrog past an appeals court process that could take months to resolve, slowing down the Justice Department’s push for a March trial of Trump, who is currently the frontrunner for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination.

“It is of imperative public importance that respondent’s claims of immunity be resolved by this Court and that respondent’s trial proceed as promptly as possible if his claim of immunity is rejected,” the filing from Smith’s team argues.
Subscribe to The Trump Trials, our weekly email newsletter on Donald Trump's four criminal cases
Trump’s legal claims of immunity, the filing said, “are profoundly mistaken, as the district court held. But only this Court can definitively resolve them.”

ADVERTISING

Therefore, Smith’s team argues, the Supreme Court should take up the issue now “to ensure that it can provide the expeditious resolution that this case warrants, just as it did in United States v. Nixon.”

Simultaneously, the special counsel filed a motion in the federal appeals court in Washington. D.C. — a court that is a step below the Supreme Court — asking for expedited review of the immunity decision in case the Supreme Court chooses not to take up the appeal immediately.
In that case, the prosecutors wrote, a swifter appeal process in D.C. would still get the case to the Supreme Court by next summer.
Smith’s proposed briefing schedule in D.C. would give Trump 10 days to appeal the ruling by U.S. District Judge Tanya S. Chutkan that Trump is not immune from prosecution. Smith would then allow the government a week to respond, and Trump three days to reply to that response.
Even if the court agrees to that schedule, the appeals court judges can take as long as they want to render a decision. When Trump claimed immunity from any civil lawsuit over his actions on and around Jan. 6, 2021, oral argument was held in December 2022; but the decision — with the appeals court ruling against him — just came out this month.
This is a developing story. It will be updated.

Interesting move. Not sure Jack Smith is going to be happy with the outcome. They aren't going to narrow their view to what Jack Smith wants to discuss.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
Interesting move. Not sure Jack Smith is going to be happy with the outcome. They aren't going to narrow their view to what Jack Smith wants to discuss.
confused monty python GIF

Robert’s isn’t gonna want to jump on this grenade.
I’ll leave it to the lawyers, but I think Nixon set the bar. It should be 9-0, but I assume Thomas and Alito will be pro king, and maybe Kavanaugh. He seemed to lean that way in one of Trump’s BS appeals in 2020.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Great move by Smith. Trump will lose, or the SC will refuse to rule on it for some reason. Trump will, once again, lose his Sh*t.

Trump is going to be found guilty and he will completely lose his mind.

Can't wait.
IF he does lose, it will be because at least one, maybe more, of “his judges”, vote against him. I can’t wait for him to go spastic on them. Especially if it’s ACB. “She’s a pig!! She came onto me but I turned her down. SO ANGRY”!!!

I don’t understand the legal question. The Supreme Court is supposed to decide constitutional law and the application of federal law. Is there anything there that gives presidents immunity? I don’t understand why it isn’t simply dismissed.

I don’t understand the legal question. The Supreme Court is supposed to decide constitutional law and the application of federal law. Is there anything there that gives presidents immunity? I don’t understand why it isn’t simply dismissed.
Two parts. A big part of Trump’s defense is essentially saying that since he was in office at the time of the alleged crime, he’s immune from prosecution. And beyond that, he was impeached and found not guilty so it’s kinda like putting a spin on double jeopardy.

Trump appealed the district court’s decision that let the case go through. Another part of his overall strategy is appeal and delay, appeal and delay. What Smith is doing is saying “enough wasting everyone’s time, it’s gonna end up before SCOTUS anyway, let’s take the gloves off now.”

Interesting, well I guess we are going to find out pretty shortly if our nation is still a government of laws.

I’m not optimistic…

FWIW, I took a quick spin through Trump's application to SCOTUS on his absolute executive immunity appeal. It's awfully crappy, and most of the legal citations are snippets of dicta. I would not be surprised if the Court simply declined to grant the stay. At most, I could see the Court telling the DC circuit to process the post-appeal mandate in the same way they do for other cases, rather than the expedited processing they called for here.

I suppose I have a little bit of sympathy as a policy matter for the idea that former presidents need some sort of protection for executive actions taken during their term of office, so they can have the freedom to make hard calls, or even calls that press the boundaries of their authority. But that's not a 'legal' concept captured in the constitution. Moreover, even if some sort of protection did exist, I'm not sure in what world it would make behavioral incentive sense for that protection to extend to criminal immunity.

FWIW, I took a quick spin through Trump's application to SCOTUS on his absolute executive immunity appeal. It's awfully crappy, and most of the legal citations are snippets of dicta. I would not be surprised if the Court simply declined to grant the stay. At most, I could see the Court telling the DC circuit to process the post-appeal mandate in the same way they do for other cases, rather than the expedited processing they called for here.

I suppose I have a little bit of sympathy as a policy matter for the idea that former presidents need some sort of protection for executive actions taken during their term of office, so they can have the freedom to make hard calls, or even calls that press the boundaries of their authority. But that's not a 'legal' concept captured in the constitution. Moreover, even if some sort of protection did exist, I'm not sure in what world it would make behavioral incentive sense for that protection to extend to criminal immunity.
Did Trump's lawyers cite Elie Honig of CNN? It doesn't seem like you have a strong case when you are citing TV talking heads.

The simplest way to look at it, which I think Gorsuch would prefer, is to look at the enumerated powers, and then at the 10th amendment. There's simply nothing to support Trump's immunity argument.

As far as the appeal, I think SCOTUS should deny a stay, and deny cert. It's not like the 5th Circuit had a split decision, or en banc has been exhausted, or another circuit has heard a similar case and made a different decision.

I agree with aardvark, some of the claims are laughable. It starts with Trump's claim the speech he used on January 6th was official business.

Last edited:
The simplest way to look at it, which I think Gorsuch would prefer, is to look at the enumerated powers, and then at the 10th amendment. There's simply nothing to support Trump's immunity argument.

As far as the appeal, I think SCOTUS should deny a stay, and deny cert. It's not like the 5th Circuit had a split decision, or en banc has been exhausted, or another circuit has heard a similar case and made a different decision.

I agree with aardvark, some of the claims are laughable. It starts with Trump's claim the speech he used on January 6th was official business.
DC circuit; yeah, i do like how even they use that strange phrase along the lines of "the outer limits of the president's official acts"

Reactions: Finance85

Most of trumps legal claims have been laughable. If they were accepted, they’d result in POTUS being above the law and essentially a dictator.

This immunity case should be laughed out of SC.

Most of trumps legal claims have been laughable. If they were accepted, they’d result in POTUS being above the law and essentially a dictator.

This immunity case should be laughed out of SC.

I mean if you are a conservative justice on the supreme court, if the president gets absolute immunity for any and all crimes committed while in office than what is stopping Joe Biden from pulling up and shooting all the conservative justices just so he can replace them with new ones?

No one is above the law.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT