ADVERTISEMENT

UI Hires Firm to better relations with its own fans LOL

JRHawk2003

HR King
Jul 9, 2003
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...etteOnlineSports+(TheGazette.com+Sports+News)

Well how about his for crap

- Pushing Nebraska, Rutgers, et al on us calling them Big 10 teams
- Driving up prices to $95 a ticket for some games
- Booting long time season ticket holders out because they don't donate enough.
- Forcing fans to buy BTN just to see hoops team. Then broadcast games at times all over the map.

See. I figured it out for them. Undo the crap and your fans will respond.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hawkeyes/university-of-iowa-athletics-looks-for-help-increasing-ticket-sales-fan-relations-20180402?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+GazetteOnlineSports+(TheGazette.com+Sports+News)

- Forcing fans to buy BTN just to see hoops team. Then broadcast games at times all over the map.

- Driving up prices to $95 a ticket for some games!!!

Throw in processing fees, you're over a $100 a ticket. How do you not sellout PSU and OSU? You price families out of games.

I would be very surprised if this isn't a common practice among most schools of this size.

I am sure you are right, and in fairness there is declining attendance in football across the board. To me its not the fault of the big HDTV in stereo per se, its because the cost of going is high and the HDTV is a better alternative than what existed before in the tube TV days.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hawkeyes/university-of-iowa-athletics-looks-for-help-increasing-ticket-sales-fan-relations-20180402?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+GazetteOnlineSports+(TheGazette.com+Sports+News)

You want Iowa to leave the Big 10?

Basically, Gary Barta and his staff are saying they have no clue how to market the athletic programs at Iowa to loyal, dedicated fans of the program. What do they do every day in the AD?

Here’s a clue Gary, stop marking up ticket prices so high for games they don’t sell out and create a marketing scheme that is modern and in touch with the fans and boosters. Build new innovative facilities where the athletic teams play so fans want to be there for the play but also fan experience. Get the students to the game by incentifying them with the best seats in the house since they are the students and this is their University.

#FireBarta

Here is a letter I wrote these idiots a couple of years ago...This was before they went 12-0 to mask the fact of this administrations shortcomings. Although I think most of these still apply and the fact that you can't sell out games against PSU and OSU, especially the PSU game where both teams were undefeated, shows these guys still don't get it. I still go to games but never pay the university for parking, always buy on the secondary market, and buy nothing at the games because I refuse to give these bozos any of my money. Anyways, enjoy the letter.

Dear Mr. Barta and Mr. Klatt,

I just wanted to take the time to express my frustration with your athletic department. My dad and I have been season ticket holders for the past 13 years for football as well as for 5 years in the early 90's. I have been attending basketball and football games since 1983. We just made the decision this weekend to not renew our season tickets this year...not necessarily because of the product on the field which is not always predictable, but instead because of the constant shortcomings of the athletic department.

The constant marketing failures and public relations disasters are inexcusable by people in your position. I would not have believed that it could have gotten to the point that we would make the decision not to renew, but we have reached that point. It seems very obvious that your department has taken it's fans for granted. So it is with great displeasure that I must tell you to:

-take your ridiculous reseating policy which could not have been rolled out at a worse time and displaced many loyal fans from their spots!
-take your paltry $70 food voucher offer(which would basically buy me 14 of your overpriced $5 ice cream sandwiches in the kids zone...that can be bought for $1 at Caseys..."Buy season tickets and we will give you a box of ice cream sandwiches")!
-take your forced, slopped together, not thought out red pom-pom vs. Wisconsin promotion!
-take your watered down gameday environment that you have created!
-take your stupid, forced January press conference which I can only assume was supposed to soothe fan dissent, but only made people more irritated!
-take your insanely loud screaming "Case IH" red zone advertisement!
-take your faded out big screens at the end of Carver Hawkeye which have been that way for two years and make it obvious to anyone that looks at them that you either don't care that they are that way or are too incompetent to realize that a division one AD should do something about them!
-take your "Let's Get Mad Again" slogan that is STILL being made fun of!
-take your forced, shoddy, thrown together at the last second, second-rate honoring of Roy Marble!

Take all those things and shove them. I know...because you make it abundantly clear...that my money will only be a drop in the bucket and doesn't really matter because I am not a big money donor, but the university will not get us back until changes are made. Enjoy the season in a 3/4 filled Kinnick. Look at what you guys have created.

Here is a letter I wrote these idiots a couple of years ago...This was before they went 12-0 to mask the fact of this administrations shortcomings. Although I think most of these still apply and the fact that you can't sell out games against PSU and OSU, especially the PSU game where both teams were undefeated, shows these guys still don't get it. I still go to games but never pay the university for parking, always buy on the secondary market, and buy nothing at the games because I refuse to give these bozos any of my money. Anyways, enjoy the letter.

I just wanted to take the time to express my frustration with your athletic department. My dad and I have been season ticket holders for the past 13 years for football as well as for 5 years in the early 90's. I have been attending basketball and football games since 1983. We just made the decision this weekend to not renew our season tickets this year...not necessarily because of the product on the field which is not always predictable, but instead because of the constant shortcomings of the athletic department.

The constant marketing failures and public relations disasters are inexcusable by people in your position. I would not have believed that it could have gotten to the point that we would make the decision not to renew, but we have reached that point. It seems very obvious that your department has taken it's fans for granted. So it is with great displeasure that I must tell you to:

-take your ridiculous reseating policy which could not have been rolled out at a worse time and displaced many loyal fans from their spots!
-take your paltry $70 food voucher offer(which would basically buy me 14 of your overpriced $5 ice cream sandwiches in the kids zone...that can be bought for $1 at Caseys..."Buy season tickets and we will give you a box of ice cream sandwiches")!
-take your forced, slopped together, not thought out red pom-pom vs. Wisconsin promotion!
-take your stupid, forced January press conference which I can only assume was supposed to soothe fan dissent, but only made people more irritated!
-take your faded out big screens at the end of Carver Hawkeye which have been that way for two years and make it obvious to anyone that looks at them that you either don't care that they are that way or are too incompetent to realize that a division one AD should do something about them!
-take your forced, shoddy, thrown together at the last second, second-rate honoring of Roy Marble!

Take all those things and shove them. I know...because you make it abundantly clear...that my money will only be a drop in the bucket and doesn't really matter because I am not a big money donor, but the university will not get us back until changes are made. Enjoy the season in a 3/4 filled Kinnick. Look at what you guys have created.
I feel asleep after the first 100 words

Reactions: BEAVERDALEHAWK
At risk of starting a riot. You know you are doing a crappy job when the Athletic Department growth/PR for the cyclowns is better than the Hawks. They put freaking chips on their helmet and have more excitement than th U of I.

Reactions: blackbrd12
IOWA’S FAN RELATIONS ARE TRASH!!(true)

(Iowa tries to improve fan relations)

F*** YOU IOWA!!! BEEEP, BEEP BEEP, BEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!

Yeah, they shouldn’t even try.

- Driving up prices to $95 a ticket for some games!!!

Throw in processing fees, you're over a $100 a ticket. How do you not sellout PSU and OSU? You price families out of games.

And yet ticket revenue was all time record last year. That is per Land of 10 where i read that.

not much different than many other b1g schools......

Exactly it is no different. Whiners at those schools too. They want all the 4 and 5 stars and the biggest and best of everything and then don't want to pay for it. Freepers. Lots of voters in the US like this also!

Reactions: smallcenter
I am surprised what people are paying to access this South End Zone thing to hardly even watch the game, so who knows?

The gameday environment thing, which I assume you mean tailgating, you have to remember the U of I President and the local cities have ultimate control of that. I am sure Gary has some input but he is not the final decision maker on tailgating rules and walking around with open containers and drunkenness.

Basically, Gary Barta and his staff are saying they have no clue how to market the athletic programs at Iowa to loyal, dedicated fans of the program. What do they do every day in the AD?

Here’s a clue Gary, stop marking up ticket prices so high for games they don’t sell out and create a marketing scheme that is modern and in touch with the fans and boosters. Build new innovative facilities where the athletic teams play so fans want to be there for the play but also fan experience. Get the students to the game by incentifying them with the best seats in the house since they are the students and this is their University.

#FireBarta

Ticket revenue was a record in 2017. fact.

Well they raised a lot of prices so its not that surprising. Overall attendance is down some, but frankly I am not sure they are that concerned. They don't need a study to understand supply and demand. I find this all pretty funny really, because they don't really care. If they did, Rutgers wouldn't be in the conference and they would have taken care of their long time season ticket holders.

In my opinion, hiring the PR firm is not a dumb move. Hiring the PR firm, and then either (a) trying to influence its recommendations, or (b) not following its recommendations, would be a dumb move.

And? Money isn't the be all, end all. Frankly, it is the biggest problem in college sports, and likely will be its downfall. Anything for money, even alienating yournfanbase. This attitude that money is everything is pervasive, and has led to the shallow, me-centered, no attention span culture that plagues this land.
I, for one, cannot wait for the next round of contracts, when the bubble bursts and folks are scrambling. College sports is in need of a big slap to the face, and it is coming. Universities will then rue the day they crapped on their fans.

You forgot.....And your golf cart Cop Patrol that rides around and dirty looks everybody and stops to check your tailgate area for liquor, smokes and for being too loud.

Reactions: blackbrd12
I'd be willing to do an extension with Barta for me to stay on as a fan.

I'm looking for something guaranteed for multiple years, with a hefty buyout.

Reactions: 24 so far

After all of the angry lesbian stuff, I am sure Gary needed the laugh

Reactions: WCAC_Fan_10
In my opinion, hiring the PR firm is not a dumb move. Hiring the PR firm, and then either (a) trying to influence its recommendations, or (b) not following its recommendations, would be a dumb move.

It just tells me the Athletic Department led by Gary Barta, has no clue how to run a $130 million business - hiring, firing, marketing, operations, etc.

And stop sending out those stupid questionnaires looking for canned responses from season tickets holders when they continue to tell you in letters and emails what to do to make the experience better. Ten plus years on the job and he needs a PR firm to better understand Iowa Hawkeye customers. Unbelievable.

Consultant is the job I've always wanted: tell other people what to do, then leave...with a hefty paycheck.

What could ANYONE tell the athletic department that its personnel shouldn't already know? My gosh...promoting a program that people are standing in line to support shouldn't be too difficult.

Hiring a consultant is another sign that there is too much money floating around major college sports.

It has been written that "the love of money is the root of all evil." But I guess that's from a book the Iowa Athletic Department and Jim Delaney haven't read. Maybe they should hire a consultant to explain that one to them.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
Consultant is the job I've always wanted: tell other people what to do, then leave...with a hefty paycheck.

What could ANYONE tell the athletic department that its personnel shouldn't already know? My gosh...promoting a program that people are standing in line to support shouldn't be too difficult.

Hiring a consultant is another sign that there is too much money floating around major college sports.

It has been written that "the love of money is the root of all evil." But I guess that's from a book the Iowa Athletic Department and Jim Delaney haven't read. Maybe they should hire a consultant to explain that one to them.
I worked for a Canadian Company trying to expand in the U.S. I convinced them to hire Boston Consulting Group for expertise in Supply Chain Management...at a cost of $ 1 Milion Dollars. That company increased sales from $300 million to over $1 billion in eight years. If you want to be the best, you hire the best.

Reactions: cocoem
It always amazes me how many people think running a multi-million dollar heavily regulated organization is simple.

Barta may suck at his job, but he does not suck at a simple job. Hiring consultants is what every major organization does when they need help.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT