ADVERTISEMENT

UMBC KenPom Rankings: 177th overall; 212th in Offensive Efficiency; 177th in Defensive Efficiency

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
UMBC also was the first to score 70 on Virginia this season.

Epic upset? Or epic choke? This is worse than "Alford bad." We thought Iowa losing to Northwestern State was bad? Well, it was. But this was much worse. This will be remembered by everybody forever. The first time a 16 seed beat a 1 seed. It should never happen. yet it did. This will haunt Virginia players, coaches and fans the rest of their lives.

From ESPN.com:

The 16s were 0-135 all time. This 16 was arguably the weakest 16 in recent memory, having been pummeled only two months ago by Albany, 83-39.

And Virginia wasn't just a No. 1 seed, but the No. 1 overall seed, arguably the most ironclad No. 1 in years. Virginia had nearly run the table in the ACC, regarded as the nation's best conference, winning the regular season by four games and then running through that league's conference tournament.

But UMBC -- a team that Charlotte media members had to spend the dinner break between Friday game sessions looking up ("Is it UMBC or UBMC?") -- didn't just beat the nation's top-ranked team. It won in a rout. It won by 20. Throughout the second half it didn't feel that close. The Cavaliers' much-ballyhooed defense had surrendered only 53 points per game all season.

The Retrievers scored 53 points in the second half.

RELATED VIDEO: www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22800585

The full story: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...t-history-knocking-no-1-overall-seed-virginia

Last edited:
The difference between teams and their abilities is often exaggerated, in my opinion. Certainly some teams are more athletic than others (and you always hope for great athletes) and size, etc can make a difference but how well a team plays and executes is a big deal.

I watched Villanova beat Alabama today....Alabama was more athletic but Nova was a better team. I looked closely at Nova’s guards and watched them intently. I think our guard court is just as athletic. Their #2 was much like JB in terms of size and athletic ability. Moss and Dailey were as big or bigger and as athletic or more athletic than their other guards.... I don’t believe talent is our problem.

Experience, commitment to defense, effort, and the coaches ability to connect and get the players to execute what they want is the key.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
The difference between teams and their abilities is often exaggerated, in my opinion. Certainly some teams are more athletic than others (and you always hope for great athletes) and size, etc can make a difference but how well a team plays and executes is a big deal.

I watched Villanova beat Alabama today....Alabama was more athletic but Nova was a better team. I looked closely at Nova’s guards and watched them intently. I think our guard court is just as athletic. Their #2 was much like JB in terms of size and athletic ability. Moss and Dailey were as big or bigger and as athletic or more athletic than their other guards.... I don’t believe talent is our problem.

Experience, commitment to defense, effort, and the coaches ability to connect and get the players to execute what they want is the key.
Please never compare us to Villanova and say we are as athletic and talented. It's 4:26 pm way too early to be hammered.

They brought it to a team who didn't even show up. Virginia's staunch perimeter defense which led them to 21 ACC wins including the tournament title wasn't there and UMBC was getting stops in Virginia's half-court offense. They weren't prepared for the game. Usually these 16v1 games are close early on but the #1 seed wakes up and overpowers them with athleticism and size. Didn't happen last night.

Perry, Villanova is very well coached and fundamental. But there is night and day difference between what Villanova puts on the floor at guard and what Iowa has. Not even close. We saw this first-hand 2 years ago in the tournament.

You refer to #2 for Villanova (Collin Gillespie). He is 6-3, and plays 15 minutes a game for them. Bohannon is 6-feet on a good day and plays 35 minutes for Iowa. Villanova's other perimeter players ahead of Gillespie include Booth, Bridges, Brunson, and Divincenzo. All of them range from 6-3 to 6-6, and all very versatile. Any of them can handle the ball and make plays. Brunson and Divincenzo handle the ball most if the game is tight. But if you think there is no difference in terms of ability between Villanova and Iowa's guards, I don't know what to tell you. We are not watching the same game.

Perry, Villanova is very well coached and fundamental. But there is night and day difference between what Villanova puts on the floor at guard and what Iowa has. Not even close. We saw this first-hand 2 years ago in the tournament.

You refer to #2 for Villanova (Collin Gillespie). He is 6-3, and plays 15 minutes a game for them. Bohannon is 6-feet on a good day and plays 35 minutes for Iowa. Villanova's other perimeter players ahead of Gillespie include Booth, Bridges, Brunson, and Divincenzo. All of them range from 6-3 to 6-6, and all very versatile. Any of them can handle the ball and make plays. Brunson and Divincenzo handle the ball most if the game is tight. But if you think there is no difference in terms of ability between Villanova and Iowa's guards, I don't know what to tell you. We are not watching the same game.

Maybe I wasn’t as clear as I thought when I said “Moss and Dailey are as big or bigger and as athletic or more athletic than their other guards” is that not true? Moss is 6’5” and Dailey is 6’7” which looks to be exactly what I was saying. Athleticism can be somewhat subjective when we don’t have stats on vertical, speed, etc but I saw no display of athleticism by their guards that showed them to be any more athletic than Moss or Dailey.

As to the Bohannon comparison Gillespie is taller by a couple of inches.....but no where close to JB in production. As a matter of fact JBs numbers as a sophomore are elite.

I think people read Villanova v Iowa and the switch just flips in their brain that doesn’t allow them to read or comprehend what was said.....as it was said. An example being I agree with your comments about Nova being well coached and fundamental. I never said anything to the contrary. Jay Wright is an elite coach in my book. Villanova is clearly a better team.....if you read the last paragraph in my original post, that’s exactly what I was referring to and in a slightly different thought process provided an explanation of what our team needs to step up to the next level.

Maybe I wasn’t as clear as I thought when I said “Moss and Dailey are as big or bigger and as athletic or more athletic than their other guards” is that not true? Moss is 6’5” and Dailey is 6’7” which looks to be exactly what I was saying. Athleticism can be somewhat subjective when we don’t have stats on vertical, speed, etc but I saw no display of athleticism by their guards that showed them to be any more athletic than Moss or Dailey.

As to the Bohannon comparison Gillespie is taller by a couple of inches.....but no where close to JB in production. As a matter of fact JBs numbers as a sophomore are elite.

I think people read Villanova v Iowa and the switch just flips in their brain that doesn’t allow them to read or comprehend what was said.....as it was said. An example being I agree with your comments about Nova being well coached and fundamental. I never said anything to the contrary. Jay Wright is an elite coach in my book. Villanova is clearly a better team.....if you read the last paragraph in my original post, that’s exactly what I was referring to and in a slightly different thought process provided an explanation of what our team needs to step up to the next level.

I hear what you are saying but you tried proving Iowa is as good at guard by comparing Villanova's 5th guard wth Bohannon. The fact that Iowa's best guard would be probably 4th or 5th for depth in Villanova's guard court should tell you Villanova has a lot better players there than does Iowa. Yes, some of that is coaching, but Ellington, Dailey and Moss wouldn't see the floor for Villanova. Ever.

I hear what you are saying but you tried proving Iowa is as good at guard by comparing Villanova's 5th guard wth Bohannon. The fact that Iowa's best guard would be probably 4th or 5th for depth in Villanova's guard court should tell you Villanova has a lot better players there than does Iowa. Yes, some of that is coaching, but Ellington, Dailey and Moss wouldn't see the floor for Villanova. Ever.
Moss is the only one who V may have ever even thought about..

The sun shone on their rumps yesterday. Sometimes, it really is that simple. Yes, UMBC has the type of team that can give a team like Virginia fits, their arguably best defender didn't play, and Virginia's offensive style really isn't conducive to comebacks.

But some of those shots UMBC made in the second half..."under normal circumstances" they don't drop. Yesterday, they seemingly ALL went in.

I couldn't help but think back to Iowa-OSU in football last season. Every now and then, you have a game where logic tends to dictate that one team should crush the other if both teams play their normal game. Yet, Virginia (like OSU) failed to appreciate the momentum they were facing when the other team cannot do anything wrong.

The...inertia I'll call it - when one team can effectively close their eyes and swish shot after shot - rips the opponent's heart out no matter how much better on paper they are.

I had to go back and read my posts again because I don’t understand the responses that seem to assert my saying something I didn’t.

In my original post I asserted (kind of the entire theme) that the differences between teams were often exaggerated. No where did I say “Iowa is as good at guard as Villanova” .....The comparison of Bohannon at guard was initially about size and athleticism v #2.....then the amount of time played v production...then you translated that to the #5 guard on their roster issue. I would certainly take the position that at this point Bohannon is WAY better than their fifth guard on their roster.

All that said I never stated or inferred Iowa was as good as Villanova. I never said our guards were as good or better than theirs......THE point is that the differences are often exaggerated and referring to the last paragraph of my original post....that is where the differences exist.

Who ever mention that UMBC is going to get smoked against Kansas State may want to look who coaches K-State in Bruce Weber.

UMBC has better guards than Iowa.

Baltimore County....among others of their ilk........has better guards than Iowa.

Good luck with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT